Home Menu

Menu



Closed
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2013, 05:38 AM #1
monkey540's Avatar
> monkey540
Assassin Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,225
32
monkey540
Assassin Ranger
monkey540's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,225
32



Fixing Yellowing on Toys

Hello everyone, I couldn't find the answer to this specific question on the forums, so I thought I'd ask:

When using a bleach/water mixture to remove yellowing from plastic parts, will this also remove the paint on the toy? if so I will still likely do it, and paint the piece again, but I wondered if anyone knows about this.

My falconzord from a toy show is ready for some rejuvenation, as you can see, I've disassembled it and removed the stickers, but there is paint on the head piece, that I'm not sure if it will be removed or not.


monkey540 is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:59 AM #2
ricecake's Avatar
> ricecake
Last Watched: PRWF Ep. 16
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 883
eBay
ricecake
Last Watched: PRWF Ep. 16
ricecake's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 883
eBay



Here's some links that were posted in another thread. They talk about using a Hydrogen Peroxide mixture.
http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.ca/...mers-toys.html
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/
ricecake is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:07 AM #3
superawesomezord's Avatar
> superawesomezord
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 174
superawesomezord
Power Ranger
superawesomezord's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 174



http://www.electrolube.com/docs/main...ain.asp?id=112

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner, works wonders.
superawesomezord is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:00 AM #4
monkey540's Avatar
> monkey540
Assassin Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,225
32
monkey540
Assassin Ranger
monkey540's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,225
32



Thanks for the other methods, but does anyone know if the bleach method will strip the paint off?
monkey540 is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:17 AM #5
zordon's Avatar
> zordon
Reborn!
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 975
zordon
Reborn!
zordon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 975



I wouldn't use bleach at all, it can make the yellowing worse. I just use 40% Hydrogen Peroxide that you can get from most supermarkets and put that on it, worked wonders for my entire collection and even better was the fact that it didnt damage any of the paint work or ruin any stickers. Oh and it was cheap!

here's a before and after of Titanus





www.myrobotroom.com
zordon is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:25 AM #6
OmegaRangerRed's Avatar
> ⚡OmegaRangerRed
Moderator
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,078
32 eBay
OmegaRangerRed
Moderator
OmegaRangerRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,078
32 eBay



What were you using to apply it Zordon? Cotton swabs? Would you hold the swab to it? dab at it?

I'd love a little more detail. You did a great job on titanus.
OmegaRangerRed is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:40 AM #7
zordon's Avatar
> zordon
Reborn!
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 975
zordon
Reborn!
zordon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 975



I poured a blob at a time into a plastic tub and basically painted it on with a medium sized hobby paint brush. you want to paste it on so there is a reasonably thick layer and leave for about 4 hours in the sun, then wash it all off and repeat the process. Titanus took about once a day for two weeks before he was as white as he is now.

The stickers may fall off eventually with all the washing its going to get but you just stick them back on again using double sided tape. All i would do is lay out a strip of double sided tape, stick all the stickers to it, cut them out, peel off the back and stick them back on. it works perfect, no dog ears or pealing, nothing.

I've done it to about 15 of my zords and there has been no adverse effects, and that was about 2 years ago.


www.myrobotroom.com
zordon is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:53 AM #8
monkey540's Avatar
> monkey540
Assassin Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,225
32
monkey540
Assassin Ranger
monkey540's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,225
32



The problem for me is that I do have 4 hours of sunlight to use, I have alot of shading in my area, and there are alot of children in the complex playing, and I'd rather they didn't get curious about a tub of plastic parts in the sun.

My falcon cost $10 so I'm not much out of pocket if it goes down, besides I can always white paint it if it gets really bad.

The easiest option for me is the bleach as it doesn't require sunlight, and can be done in one night.

I'll let everyone know how it went when I do it.
monkey540 is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:58 AM #9
zordon's Avatar
> zordon
Reborn!
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 975
zordon
Reborn!
zordon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 975



I put mine indoors on the window seal if that helps

www.myrobotroom.com
zordon is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:23 PM #10
monkey540's Avatar
> monkey540
Assassin Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,225
32
monkey540
Assassin Ranger
monkey540's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,225
32



zordon wrote: View Post

I put mine indoors on the window seal if that helps

www.myrobotroom.com
The method, while seems to be proven is just too restrictive for me, if it didn't require sunlight, I'd probably do it. Your titanus looks great btw.
monkey540 is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:33 PM #11
superawesomezord's Avatar
> superawesomezord
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 174
superawesomezord
Power Ranger
superawesomezord's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 174



The anti-static foam is god sent for yellowed toys and does not strip the paint or remove stickers.

You spray the piece, the stuff foams up and then you leave it for a few minutes and wipe it off, no fuss.

I spent months trying to clean white Lego pieces that were yellowed over time and after a recommendation from a friend I was able to clean a bulk lot in a day.
superawesomezord is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:40 PM #12
monkey540's Avatar
> monkey540
Assassin Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,225
32
monkey540
Assassin Ranger
monkey540's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,225
32



superawesomezord wrote: View Post

The anti-static foam is god sent for yellowed toys and does not strip the paint or remove stickers.

You spray the piece, the stuff foams up and then you leave it for a few minutes and wipe it off, no fuss.

I spent months trying to clean white Lego pieces that were yellowed over time and after a recommendation from a friend I was able to clean a bulk lot in a day.
Where can you buy it though?
monkey540 is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:05 PM #13
Fredotl's Avatar
> Fredotl
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 672
eBay
Fredotl
Power Ranger
Fredotl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 672
eBay



Im curious about the foam also. Whats the brand? And are we talking regular Hydrogen Peroxide (like water) or the thick peroxide you use for bleaching hair?
Fredotl is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:35 PM #14
andr0s81's Avatar
> andr0s81
100% Grade "A" Final Boss
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,160
4 eBay
andr0s81
100% Grade "A" Final Boss
andr0s81's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,160
4 eBay



Yes, link me to this magic foam, I need to restore a doron change NinjaWhite, and a microwave.
andr0s81 is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:44 PM #15
monkey540's Avatar
> monkey540
Assassin Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,225
32
monkey540
Assassin Ranger
monkey540's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,225
32



andr0s81 wrote: View Post

Yes, link me to this magic foam, I need to restore a doron change NinjaWhite, and a microwave.
I see a similar product available at walmart.com

Endust Multi-Surface Anti-Static Electronics Cleaner
monkey540 is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 02:05 PM #16
Fredotl's Avatar
> Fredotl
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 672
eBay
Fredotl
Power Ranger
Fredotl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 672
eBay



I have a SPD omega max zord that I got from eBay that is beat to Sh*t and could use some whitening desperately.. Im happy I found this thread. Just need to know what the brand is of foam lol
Fredotl is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 02:09 PM #17
superawesomezord's Avatar
> superawesomezord
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 174
superawesomezord
Power Ranger
superawesomezord's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 174



You can get it from any store that sells cleaning products for computers as it is for cleaning computers but can be used on a multitude of other surfaces.

In the UK the store I got mine from is called Maplin Electronics, their main website shows it as,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/antistatic-foam-cleanser-4151
superawesomezord is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 02:33 PM #18
Fredotl's Avatar
> Fredotl
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 672
eBay
Fredotl
Power Ranger
Fredotl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 672
eBay



Sweet, now to attempt to find something similar in the states! Thanks
Fredotl is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:06 PM #19
dBryYes!man's Avatar
> dBryYes!man
Yes! Yes! Yes!
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,836
1
dBryYes!man
Yes! Yes! Yes!
dBryYes!man's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,836
1



zordon wrote: View Post

I wouldn't use bleach at all, it can make the yellowing worse. I just use 40% Hydrogen Peroxide that you can get from most supermarkets and put that on it, worked wonders for my entire collection and even better was the fact that it didnt damage any of the paint work or ruin any stickers. Oh and it was cheap!

here's a before and after of Titanus

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7184/1w9m.jpg

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8743/8czc.jpg

www.myrobotroom.com
Wow. That's awesome.
dBryYes!man is offline    
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:43 PM #20
ShishiRanger9000's Avatar
> ShishiRanger9000
TENSHIN DAAA!!
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 403
ShishiRanger9000
TENSHIN DAAA!!
ShishiRanger9000's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 403



zordon wrote: View Post

I poured a blob at a time into a plastic tub and basically painted it on with a medium sized hobby paint brush. you want to paste it on so there is a reasonably thick layer and leave for about 4 hours in the sun, then wash it all off and repeat the process. Titanus took about once a day for two weeks before he was as white as he is now.

The stickers may fall off eventually with all the washing its going to get but you just stick them back on again using double sided tape. All i would do is lay out a strip of double sided tape, stick all the stickers to it, cut them out, peel off the back and stick them back on. it works perfect, no dog ears or pealing, nothing.

I've done it to about 15 of my zords and there has been no adverse effects, and that was about 2 years ago.




www.myrobotroom.com
Damn...if it wasn't for the fact that the stickers might will get damage and I would have done this.

I got a 1987 Large Scale Maskman Turboranger (Japanese release not the European one if they even did released that large scale version) that is quite rare and it has all the stickers in good condition and is yellowing, I can't really damage the sticker from something as rare as that.


Btw, seeing your blog...I think I know who you are, I just can't remember where you posted your stuff. Either in RCH or Tokusatsu Pinoy Collectors.
ShishiRanger9000 is offline    
Closed

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.