Menu

Closed

Old June 12th, 2011, 08:32 PM #1
> Lightningfilms
Power Ranger

Lightningfilms
Power Ranger

Mighty morphin power rangers reboot...

Ok Rangers, i have a question. First off I am a Film Student at Full Sail University in Orlando Florida. I am working on a story ark for a reboot to MMPR, in Movie form. I am also in contact with Blake Foster (Justin the Blue Turbo Ranger) on this. I cant go into Detail. but i want to know what you want to see in a MMPR reboot.

here are some things...
1: Alpha 5 will be more of an AI that can project itself in a hologram form, not a robot with a flying saucer for a head.

2: my reboot wont feature Zords. it will mention them but not show them, at least in the first movie. i want to focus on characters and story.

3: I'm not sure what exactly i want Zordon to be. i do want him. just not as corny.

4: Lord Zed is the Main Villain.

So those are a few things that i want to go on. do you love them hate them? what do YOU as MMPR fans want to see in a new movie? i want this to be for the fans that grew up with the MMPR in 1993. no corny anything. I want this to be a Dark Knight type of Power Rangers (meaning badass). No more spandex only either. but not to much like the first movie.. I hated the Movie costumes.

so?
Old June 12th, 2011, 08:40 PM #2
> gagecook45
The Original Badass

gagecook45
The Original Badass

Mighty morphin power rangers reboot...

I think this would do better in fanfic.
Old June 12th, 2011, 08:47 PM #3
> RangerZero
Power Ranger

RangerZero
Power Ranger

First and foremost, best of luck with the lawsuit that will result. Now, on to your plot ideas:

1) Alpha as an AI: No. It misses the point of the character. He's basically Zordon's hands. He exists to allow Zordon to interact with the world. Making him any type of non-corporeal entity makes him redundant. It also eliminates any sense of physical danger in a command center attack, as Zordon and Alpha can BOTH download elsewhere.

2) No Zords: No. Why are you calling this Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers? You seem very intent on eliminating all things inherent to the concept. And having them mention them but never actually showing them. The industry has a term for this: poor writing.

3) Not corny Zordon would be fine, as long as the basic premise remains intact. If you find the basic premise corny, then again I ask, why are you making this Power Rangers related.

4) Lord Zedd as Main Villain: I don't see any reason for this not to work. But Rita DOES need to be present. Maybe introduce both at once, like the show should have done had they the foresight to think ahead.

Overall, though, it just feels like you're trying way to hard to revamp a concept. It almost feels like you want to do Power Rangers, but are afraid to show a Power Rangers related project to your buddies, so you want to maul and mutilate the concept in the hopes that doing so will make them okay with it. I'm sorry if that seems overly harsh, but you'll get much worse than that if you intend to pursue a career in film.
Old June 12th, 2011, 08:47 PM #4
> ⚡Lord Buttus
Mod of Destruction

eBay
Lord Buttus
Mod of Destruction

eBay

I get the feeling most people are going to bash an MMPR reboot...

Hmmm, for your Zordon what about making him an entity possessing a willing human being? I know it sounds weird and may even make Zordon come across as evil but it's pretty BA in my opinion.

Personally though, I'd like to see more diverse characters. Looking back all the original MMPR were goody two shoes and it's honestly cringe-worthy. It got bland, idk perhaps make them more like teens in this day and age.
Old June 12th, 2011, 08:47 PM #5
> Sagiri

Sagiri

To be honest, I think, before you start thinking of filming anything, at least learn the basics of writing. If you are unable to write a simple forum post without including a ton of grammatical mistakes, I find it unlikely that you would be able to write a logical and coherent script.

Now, remember, I'm not trying to be rude. I'll even admit that, even if you write your script like you wrote your post, it is possible that the resulting movie will be the best movie ever conceived, however, I would argue that it only hurts such chances.
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:15 PM #6
> PrinceofPeace
The NEW Ion

PrinceofPeace
The NEW Ion

I wish you the best with all you do and I think that you should keep alpha, (redesigning him wouldn't be out of the question though) if you can't use the zords because it's expensive thats understandable and huge yes to lord zedd as the main villian. And Zordon never seemed the least bit corny to me. Unless you're gonna turn him into like morphious or something I'd have no problem with it. And once again I wish you the best and ignore the negativity and rudeness this thread is trying it's hardest to drumm up.
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:27 PM #7
> Zolrak
Power Ranger

Zolrak
Power Ranger

Well, I'd suggest altering the age of the rangers, I mean... if its meant to be darker and a bit more realistic you wouldn't want the main characters to be that young... (they were freshmen at the start right?)

Then again, considering today's youth... I guess they are much darker than the last few generations
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:42 PM #8
> RangerZero
Power Ranger

RangerZero
Power Ranger

Zolrak wrote: View Post

Well, I'd suggest altering the age of the rangers, I mean... if its meant to be darker and a bit more realistic you wouldn't want the main characters to be that young... (they were freshmen at the start right?)

Then again, considering today's youth... I guess they are much darker than the last few generations
It also depends on how you want to make it dark. Off the top of my head, I can think of two (for their time) mainstream anime that used children in thematically dark scenarios to great effect. Gatchman and Evangelion both were predicated on the tragedy of taking away one's childhood in the pursuit of the planet's salvation.

Granted, those were anime, but still, it isn't unprecedented.
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:45 PM #9
> Poweranimals
Raptor Power

Poweranimals
Raptor Power

Lightningfilms wrote: View Post

I am also in contact with Blake Foster (Justin the Blue Turbo Ranger) on this.
I stopped reading.
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:11 PM #10
> Phantom6
Dark things fear my light

eBay
Phantom6
Dark things fear my light

eBay

I think Saban is a pitbull with this property right now and you should pick something else.
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:18 PM #11
> RangerZero
Power Ranger

RangerZero
Power Ranger

Phantom6 wrote: View Post

I think Saban is a pitbull with this property right now and you should pick something else.
This is the most realistic response, honestly.
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:22 PM #12
> ⚡Zeddykins
FACEPALM

Zeddykins
FACEPALM

Poweranimals wrote: View Post

I stopped reading.
You got that far? Huh...
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:00 AM #13
> Ankh Primo
Net Brutality

Ankh Primo
Net Brutality

what do YOU as MMPR fans want to see in a new movie?
A little research helps.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:03 AM #14
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

RangerZero wrote: View Post

1) Alpha as an AI: No. It misses the point of the character. He's basically Zordon's hands. He exists to allow Zordon to interact with the world. Making him any type of non-corporeal entity makes him redundant. It also eliminates any sense of physical danger in a command center attack, as Zordon and Alpha can BOTH download elsewhere.
How does it eliminate physical danger? Alpha 5 was always an AI, just inside a robot body and that can be backed up or downloaded just as easilly as an AI that's part of the command center itself, it really makes no difference.
However, I do agree with you that a change like that would make the character redundant, but instead of keeping the robot body I would eliminate the character of Alpha 5 entirely.

Zordon always used a projection system to communicate with the rangers and was able to tap into the command center's systems, he always knew exactly what was going on as soon as the alarm started blarring. I don't remember him having lines like "Alpha, what's going on, turn the viewing globe on, I wanna see it!!!".
It wouldn't be a big change or even unbelievable if the technology allowed Zordon to project a body into the command center and control the systems himself.

To keep a sense of danger I would make up some magic mumbo jumbo that explains that Zordon can only project himself into our dimension at the exact location of the command center. The villains can't harm Zordon, but if they take control of the command center they can cut him off from this dimension permanently.
It would also explain why the command center was build on earth and apparently maintained for thousands of years when no villain was in sight.

I would definitely use Lord Zedd and the green ranger in a reboot movie, having them as the primary villains for the rangers to fight would draw in people who remember being scared by Lord Zedd and the green ranger kicking ass.
I don't believe in saving the good stuff for the sequel, you usually only get one chance to do it right and if you screw it up there won't be a sequel.

no corny anything. I want this to be a Dark Knight type of Power Rangers (meaning badass).
Trying to do a Batman Begins or Dark Knight style movie for MMPR would never work. Batman is a comicbook character, but he falls on the slightly more realistic side of superhero comics, no superpowers, no monsters, just crazy people, martial arts, years of training and a few technological gadgets. Everything you need for a gritty, twisted and "realistic" look at a superhero is right there in the comics.
MMPR is all aliens, magic and nice teenagers from next door transfoming into superpowered heroes riding giant robot dinosaurs that combine into a an even more gigantic humanoid robot. You'd have to get rid of most of what makes Power Rangers Power Rangers to do a "Dark Knight".
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:05 AM #15
> thunderhayes
Power Ranger

thunderhayes
Power Ranger

If Saban doesn't take you down, I'd like to see a KITT-like Alpha (well, minus the car).

The Zordon tube could be Alpha's avatar, if you will. As for the Zords, while I'd like to see them, I feel PR goes to using the megazord too fast anyway...

One thing I would like is young adult rangers (21 - 25) and if you aren't using the "ranger spandex," what about something like the Time Force uniforms with an armored form for when the morph happens (maybe something along the lines of the mega-mode armor) and have helmets...the helmets can provide communications a la Jungle Fury. Speaking of Jungle Fury, there's your morpher and communicator.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:05 AM #16
> shsaing
Power Ranger

shsaing
Power Ranger

You should make it "dark". and you should reinterpret it. Non-cheesy lines.
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:25 AM #17
> blacklion400
Power Ranger

blacklion400
Power Ranger

You should make it "dark"
ugh, here we go
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:29 AM #18
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

shsaing wrote: View Post

You should make it "dark". and you should reinterpret it. Non-cheesy lines.
God no.
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:10 AM #19
> Big_Pun
Banned

Big_Pun
Banned

First off, let's be honest...this is never going to happen on any kind of large-scale form. As a film student, you should understand A) what a licensed property is, and B) how hard it is to adapt a licensed property such as PR if you don't have a reputation/resume that makes the owner of said property want to hire you.

Now, that being said, if you're just doing this as a fan-film type of project, I would strongly recommend that you not listen to the opinions of anyone who posts in this thread. That's no disrespect to them or their opinions, but the fact of the matter is that pretty much everyone on here has a different interpretation of what they want to see or what they think is good. And since you can't please everybody, it's best that you just do what you think is right, and hope that it appeals to enough people that it ends up being successful. Or at least as successful as something like this could be.
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:34 AM #20
> blacklion400
Power Ranger

blacklion400
Power Ranger

no corny anything. I want this to be a Dark Knight type of Power Rangers (meaning badass).
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. and no. there is never going to be dark power rangers, nor should there EVER be. Power Rangers is for kids, and always will be. It's not like batman which is a very mature and dark like comic series anyway. The darkest power rangers will ever get is RPM, and that's how it should be. dark & mature is a term that I wish people would stop using, because it's become so overused is annoying, and let's not forget that making something dark and mature doesn't automatically make it good. Power Rangers is meant to be corny and cheesy and a little bit silly, otherwise it's not power ranger. I know everyone wants the show to grow up with them, but you aren't the (beating a dead horse) target audience anymore.

Phew, okay I'm done.
Closed