Menu

Closed

Old May 6th, 2011, 12:17 AM #1
> Gnomish
Gnomercy!

Gnomish
Gnomercy!

Two Random MMPR Pink Ranger Observations

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the stock footage of the Pink Ranger's pterodactyl shows it hitting the tree on the left after evacuating the volcano? I always thought it made the poor Zord look inept compared to the others.

See the 1:00 mark on this YT video. Sometimes they even cut the stock footage short to avoid the Zord's arboreal accident, as seen at the 0:25 mark on this YT video.

Also, I have noticed that the Pink Ranger's helmet is the only one that isn't painted entirely in that ranger's respective color:

Is there any significance to this? I suppose from a design standpoint, it at least conveys the general shape of a pterodactyl, with its wings wrapping around the sides of the helmet.

Anyone else have any trivia like this to share?
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:25 AM #2
> AbareHunter
NACHO!

AbareHunter
NACHO!

Somewhat Pink Ranger-related: I always found it strange that - in promotional MMPR photos such as the above one - the female Rangers' costumes always seemed to be missing the white "turtle-neck" cuffs, while the male Rangers kept them.
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:36 AM #3
> Gnomish
Gnomercy!

Gnomish
Gnomercy!

I never even noticed that. Now that you mention it, they look strange without them! Then again, it's not like they were ever as "poofy" as in that promo picture when the Rangers were actually in battle, either.
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:45 AM #4
> KisforKmo
KisforKomics.com

KisforKmo
KisforKomics.com

I always caught the Pterodactyl Zord and the tree, but I never though it looked inept. Actually, I always liked that little detail because it made the Zords seem a little more realistic. Plus, I don't think it was actually hitting it, so much as it was above the tree and moving so fast that the tree was caught in its jet stream.
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:01 AM #5
> hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

Gnomish wrote: View Post

I have noticed that the Pink Ranger's helmet is the only one that isn't painted entirely in that ranger's respective color. Is there any significance to this? I suppose from a design standpoint, it at least conveys the general shape of a pterodactyl, with its wings wrapping around the sides of the helmet.
That's precisely it. The pterodactyl's beak is too long to properly pull the "mouth visor" look like the other creatures, thus they conceded by painting the whole basic shape of the dinosaur instead.
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:04 AM #6
> EuphoricDorian
99 zulu, Combat Ninja.

EuphoricDorian
99 zulu, Combat Ninja.

I would have to disagree with your whole idea on the ptera hitting the tree, I'm gonna side with tenchichan on this one. It looks more as if it flies past the tree, just so fast that the tree is blown forward by the wind caused from the ptera flying past it so fast
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:17 AM #7
> Gnomish
Gnomercy!

Gnomish
Gnomercy!

EuphoricDorian wrote: View Post

It looks more as if it flies past the tree, just so fast that the tree is blown forward by the wind caused from the ptera flying past it so fast
I hadn't thought of that, and I see your point. Still, I wonder whether someone in the cutting room thought it looked as if it is knocking into the tree; why else would they snip the stock footage so conspicuously, a mere split second before the Zord reaches the tree? (Such an edit would be negligible in terms of cutting down a given show's runtime, right?)
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM #8
> SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay
SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay

Gnomish wrote: View Post

(Such an edit would be negligible in terms of cutting down a given show's runtime, right?)
Wrong. None of the Zord sequences ever ran 100% fully every single time, even in Zyu. It's a case by case basis. Some episodes need padding, some don't.
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM #9
> thunderhayes
Power Ranger

thunderhayes
Power Ranger

That's the same reason many episodes have the split screen morph in later seasons.
Closed