Home Menu

Menu

Closed

Old February 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM #161
> TT Tyler
Banned

TT Tyler
Banned

Does this mean we have to pay for YouTube and Veoh?
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:01 PM #162
> laterdayz13
classic

laterdayz13
classic

crap, that means they are going to move along with that damn JLA movie
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM #163
> cyberblue
Celestial Fury

cyberblue
Celestial Fury

Hurray! Someone did actual research this time!

Really though.. the sooner this strike is officially over the better. Hopefully they'll sign off on that shizz before the end of the day if they haven't already.
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:53 PM #164
> TT Tyler
Banned

TT Tyler
Banned

Unfortunatly, it's a TENTATIVE deal. Which means it may or may not pass.
Old February 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM #165
> cyberblue
Celestial Fury

cyberblue
Celestial Fury

TT Tyler wrote: View Post

Unfortunatly, it's a TENTATIVE deal. Which means it may or may not pass.
Uh... duh. I posted about this last page (before they released your updated statement.. which ultimately says the same thing).
Old February 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM #166
> Phoenix4ce
Taylor L <3

Phoenix4ce
Taylor L <3

XXTheEnigmaXX wrote: View Post

Unfortunately as far as I know, it's been canned.
How sad, I really liked Michelle Ryan, i'm a UK'er so I know her from Eastenders, but why would ITV2 say there showing here if it has indeed been cancelled?
Old February 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM #167
> maritroniuity
Dangerous Zombabe

maritroniuity
Dangerous Zombabe

Hopefully the writers approve of this deal, if only for the Daily Show's "The", well that and resuming of what's left of the season.
Old February 9th, 2008, 01:51 PM #168
> Kyle16
Figuring it out

Kyle16
Figuring it out

TT Tyler wrote: View Post

Does this mean we have to pay for YouTube and Veoh?
I doubt it.
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM #169
> Armblast
The Rated R Superstar

Armblast
The Rated R Superstar

Come on deal pass, please pass. We all need to see the remaining episodes of the final season of Scrubs, and we all want to know what is the real name of the Janitor.
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:40 AM #170
> rangerspider
Power Ranger

rangerspider
Power Ranger

Hey guys here is an update to the comingsoon.net article i posted a few pages earlier.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41798
Update: WGA and AMPTP Reach Tentative Agreement
Source: WGA February 9, 2008

UPDATE: Variety has posted an update on the New York and Los Angeles WGA meetings that took place on Saturday about the new tentative agreement:

WGA members will have the chance to vote on whether to end the strike under an expedited 48-hour voting process, WGA leaders told members during Saturday's night's meeting to detail the contract deal just reached with the majors.

That means scribes technically will not be back to work on Monday, as had been widely expected in recent days. However, numerous members attending the meeting - which drew about 3,000 to the Shrine Auditorium -- said many people will unofficially be prepping projects and scripts.

The WGA negotiating committee, the WGA West board of directors and the WGA East Council will meet Sunday to formally endorse the contract and set the launch of the 48-hour vote to lift the strike. The ruling bodies are also expected to approve official launching a member ratification vote that would take place over 10 days.
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:55 AM #171
> Kyle16
Figuring it out

Kyle16
Figuring it out

so would I be right in expecting the writers back on...tuesday? or am I misundersatnding something?
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:01 AM #172
> rangerspider
Power Ranger

rangerspider
Power Ranger

Well if the majority of the writers agree to the deal today(sunday) yea everyone could be going back to work by wensday.
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:58 PM #173
> rangerspider
Power Ranger

rangerspider
Power Ranger

Hey guys another update to the comingsoon.net article on ending of the strike:
Update #2: WGA and AMPTP Reach Tentative Agreement
Source: WGA February 10, 2008

UPDATE #2: That vote will take place Tuesday. Here are the official details:

Should the WGAW Board and WGAE Council immediately lift the restraining order, ending the strike, pending the ratification vote on the 2008 MBA? A yes vote means you are voting to end the strike immediately; a no vote means you are voting to continue the strike during the ratification process.

You can cast your ballot in person

Tuesday, February 12, 2008
anytime between 2:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Vote at the Writers Guild Theater
135 S. Doheny Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

For members that aren't able to cast a ballot in person, proxy ballots are available. To vote by proxy, download this form and fax to (323) 421-9177.

If you would like to vote YES by proxy: if you wish, you may designate WGAW member Patric Verrone, who is willing to collect and vote proxies for any members who want to vote YES. Patric will vote your proxy at the meeting on Tuesday, February 12.

If you would like to vote NO proxy by proxy: we are looking for a WGAW member who is willing to vote proxies for any members who want to vote NO. If you are willing to serve in that capacity, please send an e-mail to Rebecca Kessinger agreeing to have your name posted on this website, and agreeing to attend the meeting on Tuesday, February 12 to cast “NO” votes for those who designate their proxies to you. Thanks in advance!
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:16 PM #174
> blackdinoranger5
Film Maker Power Ranger

blackdinoranger5
Film Maker Power Ranger

im gonna miss this writers strike because of it we had one of the funniest team ups ever stephen colbert, john stewart, and conan o'brian lololol good times but he maybe will get awsomer pr team ups even tho forever red, and once a ranger were pritty unbelevable and awsome
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:44 AM #175
> blackdinoranger5
Film Maker Power Ranger

blackdinoranger5
Film Maker Power Ranger

i wrecked the conversion again didnt i shoots self lolollo
Old February 13th, 2008, 12:26 AM #176
> SS/KR Fan
Super Sentai/Power Ranger

SS/KR Fan
Super Sentai/Power Ranger

Guess what? They passed it! TV is back!

Writers vote to end 3-month strike By LYNN ELBER, AP Entertainment Writer
2 hours, 46 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - A devastating, three-month walkout that brought the entertainment industry to a standstill ended Tuesday when Hollywood writers voted to lift their union's strike order and return to work Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The move allows some TV series to return this spring with a handful of new episodes. It also clears the way for the Academy Awards to be staged on Feb. 24 without the threat of pickets or a boycott by actors that would have dulled the glamour of Hollywood's signature celebration.

"At the end of the day, everybody won. It was a fair deal and one that the companies can live with, and it recognizes the large contribution that writers have made to the industry," Leslie Moonves, chief executive officer of CBS Corp., told The Associated Press.

Moonves was among the media executives who helped broker a deal after negotiations between the guild and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents studios, collapsed in acrimony in December.

Residuals for TV shows and movies distributed online was the most contentious issue in the bitter dispute involving the 12,000-member union and the world's largest media companies and other producers.

Under a tentative contract approved Sunday by the union's board of directors, writers would get a maximum flat fee of about $1,200 for streamed programs in the deal's first two years and then get 2 percent of a distributor's gross in year three — a key union demand.

Other provisions include increased residual payments for downloaded movies and TV programs.

"These advances now give us a foothold in the digital age," said Patric Verrone, president of the guild's West Coast chapter. "Rather than being shut out of the future of content creation and delivery, writers will lead the way as television migrates to the Internet."

Writers who voted in New York and Beverly Hills were overwhelmingly in favor of ending the strike: 3,492 voted yes, with only 283 voting to stay off the job.

Most writers were happy about the outcome and eager to return to work.

"It will be all hands on deck for the writing staff," said Chris Mundy, co-executive producer of CBS' drama "Criminal Minds." He hopes to get a couple of scripts in the pipeline right away, with about seven episodes airing by the end of May.

Not all shows will get back on the air. Networks might not resume production of low-rated programs that have a questionable future.

Writers did not vote on whether to formally accept the tentative deal, which was reached after a Feb. 1 breakthrough between union negotiators and studio executives.

The guild will mail contract ratification ballots to members over the next few days. Writers can also vote at meetings. All ballots must be cast by Feb. 25.

The walkout stopped work on dozens of TV shows, disrupted movie production and turned the usually star-studded Golden Globes show into a news conference. It also dealt a severe financial blow to a wide range of businesses dependent on work from studios.

The strike took a $3.2 billion toll in direct and indirect costs on the economy of Los Angeles County, the home of most of the nation's TV and film production, according to a new estimate from Jack Kyser, chief economist for the Los Angeles Economic Development Corp.

The last writers strike, a 153-day walkout in 1988, caused an estimated $500 million in lost wages.

The latest strike began Nov. 5, and formal negotiations broke off Dec. 7 after the guild pushed to unionize writers on reality and animated productions.

Informal talks began Jan. 23 between studio heads and the union, which extended an olive branch by withdrawing its proposal to organize reality and animated shows. It also decided against picketing the Grammy Awards.

Pressure to reach an agreement mounted after the studio alliance reached a tentative contract Jan. 17 with the Directors Guild of America. That deal also brought improved payment for content offered on the Internet.

Among the executives who took the lead in breaking the impasse were Peter Chernin, chief operating officer of News Corp., and Robert Iger, CEO of The Walt Disney Co.

Michael R. Perry, a writer for "Persons Unknown" and other TV dramas, said the deal made him hopeful the guild and studios could be "partners in a growing pie" of Internet revenue.

"I want them to be fabulously, filthy rich. I just want my piece," Perry said.

Hollywood's labor pains may not be over, said Jonathan Handel, an entertainment attorney with the Los Angeles firm of TroyGould and a former associate counsel for the writers guild.

He pointed out that the contract between studios and the Screen Actors Guild is due to expire in June.

"The signs are mixed whether this is going to be another difficult negotiation," Handel said. "The actors face all of the new-media issues that the writers and directors faced."

___

Associated Press Writer Clare Trapasso in New York contributed to this report. Raquel Maria Dillon in Beverly Hills also contributed.
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:20 AM #177
> Brown Ranger
Que Boom!

Brown Ranger
Que Boom!

Thank God it's all over. It is officially definitely over. Man, what a mess it was.

Just thank God that Smallville gets 7 more episodes for the rest of the season to make it twenty. Don't really care, I just to want to see more episodes. And I can wait for Heroes. Back to work for the writers.

Last edited by Brown Ranger; February 13th, 2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:46 AM #178
> Lightsaberboy
COME ON!

Lightsaberboy
COME ON!

they might not necessarily get those eps for Smallville. That's what the network wants, but it's gonna be hard. Kristin starts shooting for Street Fighter in March, and same goes with James Marsters for Dragonball, so they're gonna have to pull some magic to get everyone's schedules to work out.
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:08 AM #179
> Matt C
VIP Ranger

Matt C
VIP Ranger

Well, it's not like new episodes will begin immediately, the writers have to go back to work and clean up the mess they left behind. The earliest that shooting can resume on any of the television shows is in April, so that the cast can be gathered back together.
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM #180
> ⚡Toast
J U S T I C E

Toast
J U S T I C E

Yes! I am so glad it's over. I've been worried about 'Reaper' for a bit now, cause that show is bloody hilarious!
Closed