Home Menu

Menu

Old August 25th, 2016, 04:51 PM #1
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai Reviews: The DCAU

So... as many of you know DC's attempts at making their own Cinematic Universe have been... very poor. Man of Steel's ending was heavily criticized, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice had so many problems it wasn't even funny, and Suicide Squad was knockoff Guardians of the Galaxy.

However, there was a time where not only did DC knew what they were doing making their own Universe, they were in the opposite position they are now compared to Marvel back then. So join me as I sit back and do color-commentary on the now legendary DCAU starting with Batman: The Animated Series.

Before we begin things proper, I must address some questions I know people will ask of me. First off, I am not going to review Justice League because Tasti is doing a good job of that himself and my own obsevations on it are fine enough on his thread. Second, I am going to be reviewing the DCAU movies: B:TAS's Mask of the Phantasm, Sub-Zero, Mystery of the Batwoman, and Batman Beyond's Return of the Joker. When? We'll get to that road once we cross it. Third, I may or may not be reviewing The Zeta Project. Why? It's the one part of the DCAU that very rarely talked about but I am curious how it holds up to the rest of the DCAU. If I get enough requests, I will review it, and if not... well... Cyborg is part of the Cinematic Universe but isn't in the DCAU. However, he is part of another popular show that I have my eyes on reviewing. Lastly, most of this is blind. Not joking. I got into the DCAU when Justice League and Static were on in the air so I apologize in advance if I spoil obvious things.

I might add in previous reviews I've made in this thread in the not too distant future, plus adjustments to some of those reviews, specifically my Overdrive one, just to give some more context to them. Sadly though the Duel Masters thread will forever remain incomplete until I find all of the episodes.
RangerSentai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 05:43 AM #2
> SoulfulGinger17
Chazz Black

SoulfulGinger17
Chazz Black

Oh, this seems fun. I'd never heard of The Zeta Project until recently and never watched an episode, but I'd be interested in hearing more about it when the time comes.

And did I catch a hi t about reviewing Teen Titans? If so, please do it!
SoulfulGinger17 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 06:12 AM #3
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

I often wonder if Zeta Project was something forced on them by the network or something, because I've never DC try to revive it to tap into that 2000-era nostalgia market the way they did Beyond and even elements of JLU...correct me if I'm wrong though (did he show up in the more recent BB comics?)
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 11:34 AM #4
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

Some interest in The Zeta Project already? Dang, I might have to review it. One last thing before these reviews start: I like to do these reviews in sets kinda like Kaigan. I have at least one set done already but will not post that set until I've completed the next one and so on and so forth. So for reference's sake I'm about to start my third set of B:TAS reviews but have the first two ready to go. In other words, I have been doing some pre-emptive planning with this review thread.

With that said... let us begin.

On Leather Wings

~I know it’s fiction and all, but, seriously, why are the Gotham police using zeppelins to do their patrol? That just seems very impractical to me.

~I know for a fact that Batman can’t fly yet so it can’t possibly be Bruce that Gotham Zeppelin Patrol just saw.

~Wow… so much unintentional foreshadowing to Batman Beyond with this mysterious flying bat creature it’s almost hilarious.

~Man… this guard must be super bored on his patrol of what’s essentially a drug manufacturing company to be pretending to be a radio DJ.

~I gotta say the music score so far perfectly encapsulates all scenes produced so far perfectly. Even if it’s meant to be taken somewhat comically.

~Oh come on Gotham P.D.! You can’t just assume that was Batman terrorizing Gotham during the night. It could’ve been a very cheap imitator like in The Dark Knight.

~No one’s taking vigilante police force against a vigilante crime fighter. I instantly like this Commissioner Gordon.

~Ooh nice foreshadowing on the future Harvey Dent becoming Two-Face.

~Oh god… why does Alfred sound like he has a bad head cold? It sounds nothing like the Alfred I’ve heard in Justice League.

~Kevin Conroy does a fantastic job voice-acting as Bruce Wayne/Batman when he’s multitasking his hero life with his civilian life while in the cape and cowl.

~Decent display of animation and of the Batman theme.

~Okay… those two love-struck scientist were just put in that scene to call the police on Batman because of the bat creature attacks, weren’t they?

~It’s easy to see why Dr. McNinja wanted to be Batman so easily in some of these scenes.

~Bullock is really fixated on captured the Caped Crusader, isn’t he?

~Okay a police truck makes a whole lot more sense than a police zeppelin.

~Apparently, Batman uses Ace Attorney crime tools before Ace Attorney was an idea.

~Welp… that could’ve gone better for you Bruce.

~Drastic exposition from Commissioner Gordon!

~I suppose I shouldn’t blame the police too much for not thinking of putting on gas masks before trying to arrest the Bat because he sometimes has plot convenient items in that utility belt and sometimes not.

~Okay… I suppose I should blame the Gotham P.D. this time for pulling a Chief Quimby on the room Batman is in.

~I suppose I’d have that same reaction that police officer did after THAT happened to me too.

~Okay… Kevin Conroy’s early Bruce Wayne leaves a bit to be desired.

~Okay… this scientist that Bruce wants help from is apparently a minor supporter of the House of Evolution from One-Punch Man.

~At least K.C. has got the clueless billionaire part of Bruce down so far.

~”I don’t like rock and roll at all, Alfred.”

~Dang. K.C. transitioned from Bats to Bruce and back to Bats in costume like a pro. Wish the live-action movies did that too…

~We also need more of the Caped Crusader doing actual detective work in the movies too with scenes like this in the early DCAU.

~Once again, the music tones, simplistic dialogue, and minimal sound effects manage to portray scenes very well.

~Dang it, since I’m watching this on my Amazon Prime account it totally spoiled to me that the bat creature was Dr. Langstrom and not Dr. March because of me stopping and writing these vignettes down.

~Holy hell… that transformation sequence was actually kinda scary.

~Decent fight scene.

~Apparently, like the Hulk, Langstrom and Man-Bat, (thanks Amazon Prime) both are of two completely different minds since Man-Bat looks away in shame once his wife sees the wreckage.

~Bruce thoughts while grappled onto Man-Bat: “If he can fly… then I should be able to myself someday…”

~Seriously, how much is in the Gotham P.D. budget for them to afford freaking zeppelins?

~This is the best Commissioner Gordon I’ve seen yet.

~Bruce’s thoughts while flying around: “The flying suit needs to have full mobility and not be able to flap the wings much… Maybe I need to make the blueprints to these sometime…”

~Bruce thoughts after crashing: “Also all of the vision sensors for the suit. Night, heat, sonic. Name it, has it.”

~If you could cure Langstrom, by extension, Bruce, you could also cure any other being that’s mutated and we all know that isn’t happening.

~Man-Bat will return.

Christmas with the Joker

~It feels kinda weird reviewing a Christmas episode in August. Would feel less weird in July.

~It seems very odd to me that prison inmates would be singing Christmas carols. At least we get the infamous “Batman Smells” version of Jingle Bells from the crown prince of crime.

~Of course Joker would somehow make the prison’s Christmas tree rocket-powered. Why wouldn’t he?

~Uh… Robin… IIRC, in various media criminals find that Christmas is the best time to do their activities, or haven’t you seen Home Alone at all? Batman has every right to be paranoid at the most wonderful time of the year.

~Don’t worry, Bruce, I haven’t seen It’s a Wonderful Life myself. I’ve seen various parodies of it, just not the actual movie yet.

~Gotta respect Jazz players during Christmas time.

~Well, Robin, in some adaptations of Batman’s origin story his parents were murdered on Christmas so Bruce has at least some right to act like Scrooge.

~Ah, classic Batman: overreacting to what seems to be a Christmas mugging.

~I dunno Bruce… from what I’ve seen from all the parodies of It’s a Wonderful Life, they make it mostly tragic during the middle and somewhat overly cheerful near the end.

~Joker hijacking all the television stations in an effort to take down Batman? That will never ever happen again. At least on Christmas.

~And Joker’s version of celebrating the holidays is apparently… knockoff Jack Skellington’s version… which also reminds me that I also need to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas.

~Gotta say, Mark Hamill’s early Joker is pretty good. Seems like he’s having fun with the role instead of just trying to flat out ham it up.

~”It’s never easy with The Joker.” No truer words have ever been said about him in general.

~Now this is prime Joker material: kidnapping three of Gotham’s well-known public figures, and basically treating them as though they were a sitcom family while they’re “bound and gagged” before trying to kill them. It’s darkly hilarious.

~The Joker blowing up bridges? I thought that was Bane’s shtick… wait… wrong continuity…

~Geez… no dragging out blowing up the bridge or making it overly dramatic, just a flat out kaboom. I like it.

~It’s a shame that there is no one more powerful than a locomotive that has been introduced yet to help Batman and Robin.

~Gotta say… I really respect this train rescue situation more than how they did it in Power Rangers Megaforce, mostly because the music here emphasizes the panic.

~Dang… the train just falling off the broken track and making that explosion with no music to highlight it was VERY effective. High kudos all around to whoever decided that for that scene in particular.

~Gotham has its own mountain? Eh… I’d buy that in real life there are mountains named after their own cities too.

~Wow… that oversized Christmas present sure does not look like a booby trap that Joker would set up for the dynamic duo. At all.

~After Batman said that there was more to the present than meets the eye, I expected it to transform into a giant fighting robot. Instead, plain ol’ jack-in-the-box. Eh, win some, lose some.

~Geez… DCAU’s Joker does Mood Dissonance so well that I can’t call him out on it.

~Jokers thoughts: “If this plan doesn’t work, then I probably need to retool it for the future. Maybe place it Vegas and have a playing card/gambling theme or something like that.”

~Robo-Jokers with machine gun hands? Now this is starting to get silly.

~Also note to self with all the explosions: watch Die Hard.

~”Only a miracle can save the hostages.” Ah, clichéd Christmas tropes. Gotta love them.

~Ah Betty Boop… your cartoons may mostly be forgotten, but your influence is still present in cartoons to this day… mostly.

~And the not Betty Boop doll is the one clue Batman needed to track down Joker at an abandoned toy factory.

~And we have our obligatory Nutcracker reference complete with the Dance of Sugar Plum Fairy. Also need to add The Nutctracker Prince to that list of holiday specials I need to see someday.

~Batman using a baseball bat to take down flying toy Joker planes on Christmas while music from The Nutcracker is playing. Why can’t the live-action movies be this over-the-top and fun?

~I really respect the lack of music now after the Nutcracker music played to just emphasize the sound effects.

~Really? Joker got Batman… a jack-in-the-box pie in the face for Christmas… No fruitcake laced with acid or socks that explode when you put them on or even a giant misshaped coal bomb? A jack-in-the-box pie in the face… You disappoint me Joker.

~You have no right saying Humbug after the lame joke you produced on Christmas Joker.

~Best reaction to Bruce Wayne after watching It’s a Wonderful Life: “It… has its moments.”

~And a Happy New Year to you too, Joker.

Nothing to Fear

~Okay… despite a decent opening, I can’t clearly read what this banner says at first glance. I had to use a second video stream player and it still has that same problem… I think it says “Save the University Charity Book Signing”.

~Hey it’s that kidnapped woman from Christmas with the Joker. I guess the episodes were aired in a different order back then compared to now since I did not immediately recognize her in the Christmas episode.

~And add Summer Gleeson to Bruce Wayne’s list of failed girlfriends.

~Ouch… way to rub salt into the wound for Bruce, Dr. Long.

~Leave Bruce alone to soak in Dr. Long’s words for a moment before he sees the plot helicopter and knows Batman is needed.

~Very nice having the police guard on duty reading a Tiny Toon Adventures comic.

~The guard’s reaction to seeing spiders under Scarecrow’s hallucinogen gas is… kinda hilariously bad.

~Batman is almost always right on time for explosions.

~Okay… Scarecrow is part Nolan’s Joker since he’s all about the end goal rather than profit.

~I love that Batman just casually walks in the open bank vault safe with a mask already on.

~I also respect that Scarecrow here uses not just gas, but a dart gun that contains his fear hallucinogen to try and stop Batman.

~Dang… Bruce’s greatest fear… is letting down his dead dad…

~Sadly, no Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, and girl named Dorothy were working for Scarecrow. …I’m sorry I had to use the obvious reference at least once, I’ll try to be subtler about it in the future.

~I really respect this Good Cop, Bad Cop relationship that Commissioner Gordon and Detective Bullock, respectively, have with Batman.

~Backstory time: Scarecrow version!

~We cut to the Batcave where Bruce is working alone, tired and unmasked. Definitely symbolic and metaphoric.

~I love Alfred’s wit and commentary.

~Alfred knows exactly when to turn on and off his Deadpan Snarker tendencies.

~I’m guessing Scarecrow either has an immunity to his own hallucinogen or his costume has its own gas mask of sorts.

~So this is where Nolan got the inspiration for Scarecrow’s hallucinogen affecting people’s visual perception.

~Is… Batman accidentally releasing Scarecrow’s fear gas onto Gotham?

~I’m pretty sure it’s very hard to find good, capable, and smart henchmen nowadays for villains.

~This is why you don’t plan your villainous escape plan on a zeppelin: you could accidently bring it down with a gun if the hero is on it.

~Glad to know that one of the henchmen survived his death-defying fall.

~And Bruce gets over Scarecrow’s hallucinogen by proclaiming he’s Batman.

~And after getting shot accidentally with the hallucinogen dart, the second henchman falls out of the zeppelin… into a very convenient roof tree. Gotta keep it PG-13!

~Of course Scarecrow would have a conveniently attached mini-glider onto the zeppelin for escape purposes.

~I’m… honestly surprised there wasn’t more collateral damage from that zeppelin explosion.

~S.T.A.R. Labs? As in Superman S.T.A.R. Labs? Geez, Timm was really dead set on foreshadowing his future shows before there were even greenlit.

~Yet another reminder that Batman is the world’s greatest detective!

~Okay… confirmed Crane’s mask for his costume contained its own gas mask. Good to know for future reference’s sake.

~No Ra’s al Ghul to help bail you out of this one, Crane.

~I’d love to watch a buddy cop movie involving Gordon and Bullock now.

~Very nice ending.

Next Set: The Last Laugh, Pretty Poison, and The Underdwellers

Last edited by RangerSentai; August 26th, 2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old August 26th, 2016, 12:32 PM #5
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

RangerSentai wrote: View Post

S
~Oh god… why does Alfred sound like he has a bad head cold? It sounds nothing like the Alfred I’ve heard in Justice League.
That's because he was voiced by Clive Revill in the first few episodes. Efrem Zimbalist Jr would later take over and keep voicing for the rest of the series and other appearances.

Nice reviews. And yeah, quite a few eps were aired out of production order, like "His Silicon Soul" I recall premiering a day or two after the Hardac eps. Heck, Shadow of the Bat" was used as the season 2 premiere.
Dragonwolf Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 12:48 PM #6
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

On Leather Wings

~I know it’s fiction and all, but, seriously, why are the Gotham police using zeppelins to do their patrol? That just seems very impractical to me.
Old-timey helicopters. DC maintained this weird pseudo-'50s thing throughout their string of animated series.

I gotta say the music score so far perfectly encapsulates all scenes produced so far perfectly. Even if it’s meant to be taken somewhat comically.
Shirley Walker was a genius.

Oh come on Gotham P.D.! You can’t just assume that was Batman terrorizing Gotham during the night. It could’ve been a very cheap imitator like in The Dark Knight.
First rule of law enforcement: Presume everything.

Kevin Conroy does a fantastic job voice-acting as Bruce Wayne/Batman when he’s multitasking his hero life with his civilian life while in the cape and cowl.
I miss those days...

Bullock is really fixated on captured the Caped Crusader, isn’t he?
"That Spider-Man is a menace!"

I suppose I shouldn’t blame the police too much for not thinking of putting on gas masks before trying to arrest the Bat because he sometimes has plot convenient items in that utility belt and sometimes not.
Bat-Shark Repellant!

Seriously, how much is in the Gotham P.D. budget for them to afford freaking zeppelins?
Given there's so much crime that they need a Batman, I'd imagine the police department gets like 99% of the taxes.

This is the best Commissioner Gordon I’ve seen yet.
I'm relatively sure he's the best Gordon of all time.

Christmas with the Joker

~Don’t worry, Bruce, I haven’t seen It’s a Wonderful Life myself. I’ve seen various parodies of it, just not the actual movie yet.
It comes on NBC every single year. I admire your ability to have managed to avoid seeing it.

I dunno Bruce… from what I’ve seen from all the parodies of It’s a Wonderful Life, they make it mostly tragic during the middle and somewhat overly cheerful near the end.
You wouldn't know this, but that's actually how It's a Wonderful Life works.

Batman using a baseball bat to take down flying toy Joker planes on Christmas while music from The Nutcracker is playing. Why can’t the live-action movies be this over-the-top and fun?
Because that's Marvel's thing, durr.

Nothing to Fear

~I really respect this Good Cop, Bad Cop relationship that Commissioner Gordon and Detective Bullock, respectively, have with Batman.
It doesn't count as Good Cop, Bad Cop if neither of them are pretending...

Of course Scarecrow would have a conveniently attached mini-glider onto the zeppelin for escape purposes.
First rule of boy scouts, be prepared.

Especially when you know going in there's an 85% chance of Batman.

S.T.A.R. Labs? As in Superman S.T.A.R. Labs? Geez, Timm was really dead set on foreshadowing his future shows before there were even greenlit.
Or it was just an easter egg because fans love hyperanalysis too much.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 01:11 PM #7
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

Finally new Hyrule Warriors Legends material... Oh yeah, the reviews...

The Last Laugh

~Opening newspaper delivery tells us it’s Joker’s favorite holiday.

~A clown driving a motorboat full of waste? That does seem not suspicious whatsoever.

~Oh dear… the gas fumes from said waste disposal boat were Joker gas, weren’t they?

~Meanwhile, at Wayne manor, Bruce is getting his riveting daily shave.

~Quick question: do rich people really need butlers and/or maids to draw their baths? Because it seems like something they can do themselves perfectly well. Or is it one of the many things they need their house workers to do when they doing whatever business/eccentric tasks they’re doing for the day?

~Okay… I’m going to make a really bad pun counter now because of Alfred’s statement… With an additional one already added from Christmas with the Joker and Robin’s “Bat Man” observation. (Really bad puns: 2)

~Bruce listening to plot exposition from the radio in the shower with an extreme close up on his face and the running water.

~So… the Joker conveniently knew that passerby truck from the beginning of the episode was a bank truck?

~Seriously… Hamill is a natural voice actor for Joker here. He portrays him so… naturally. I haven’t seen a Joker this natural since… well, Heath Ledger.

~You know… if Batman DID accidentally release Scarecrow’s fear gas onto Gotham last episode, I’d imagine this is what would happen to Gotham right about now… except without all the laughing and more people narmly reacting to their worst fears come to life.

~So… Joker’s wearing a gas mask and his clown henchmen are immune to the gas which means they must’ve taken some sort of antidote… Why didn’t Joker use the antidote instead of this gas mask? Oh wait… I forgot he’s the Joker… sometimes his mind works in crazy, convoluted ways.

~Ruh-roh… Alfred is affected by Joker’s laughing gas…

~Wait… does Summer have a sixth sense because she, and I imagine her cameramen too, has a gas mask and expositing what’s happening on the news.

~That did not count as a really bad pun, Joker… I’m not putting it on the list because it was actually kinda clever.

~Okay… what is Bats planning on doing with the dumpster boat of Joker gas? Take it out of the city? If he does that another city like Metropolis is going to be affected by the gas as well. You’re not very good at long-term planning, Bruce.

~Oh wait… my mistake about of the antidote was wrong since I now see Joker’s henchclowns also use masks and I imagine they must also have a filter for his gas.

~Welp Bruce, your plan to potentially harm another city with Joker’s laughing gas was thrown out the window the moment you decided to use cheap rope to tie it to the Bat Boat.

~Oh wait… never mind the clown henchman that tore apart the rope was a robot… I retract my previous statement then.

~I can never decide if Joker is actually funny or not funny at all at times…

~Glad to see that the creators knew the differences between an air and gas mask with Bruce taking a deep breath before he’s completely submerged and calling the Bat Boat.

~And the Bat Boat is also a Bat Sub with lasers because Crazy Prepared.

~Yeah… Joker’s “jokes” definitely don’t make sense more than half the time…

~And that is why you should’ve developed an antidote to your gas instead of giving your henchmen clown masks that filter your gas, Joker.

~Okay… that one joke did make sense Joker…

~We already knew it was a robot from the sound effects and the way Batman was beating it up with a metal rod, but thanks for fully clarifying that fact.

~Man, Joker is REALLY upset that Bats killed the robot clown. Must’ve cost him a fortune then…

~I guess Bruce though to throw caution into the wind with him removing his gas mask while chasing the Joker.

~Factory battle!

~One of the very few times Bats has forgotten his grappling hook and needs it the most.

~At least Bats has good aiming skills and timing on his side.

~Oh dear… when you make Batman smile, you are super screwed.

~Batman after saving Joker: “If you ever do cross the line, I will make sure you are dead someday.”

~I guess Batman came up with the antidote off-screen or Joker extinguished his gas since everything is all hunky-dory now.

~April Fools’ is overrated. Just saying.

Pretty Poison

~Black and white filter? Definitely a flashback.

~Proper introduction to Harvey Dent!

~And immediate cut to present day, I think, with someone ripping apart a newspaper clipping of Harvey’s flashback activities.

~I really respect that transition between mysterious gardener watering a lone rose to a construction vehicle digging out a lone rose.

~Okay… I was wrong… it wasn’t present day it was 5 years before present day. ...Time is confusing.

~”A better, safer Gotham” indeed if someone can break out of Harvey’s dream prison by helicopter.

~Way to reinforce those negative stereotypes about cops, Bullock.

~Why did you say that you were home free nameless escaped prisoner? Now you’re just begging to get caught by Bats and/or the Gotham P.D.

~Harvey is dating an attractive redhead at the Rose Café… Subtle…

~Well… you’re both literally and figuratively right there, Harvey, about Bruce being hung up on business.

~See… what did I tell you no name criminal. Now you’re going back to jail because you invoked the wrath of Murphy.

~This double-layered dialogue Harvey is dishing out to his date about Bruce is genius when we immediacy cut to Bruce doing what Harvey knows he’s doing but in a totally different context.

~Okay… that last bit was the exception because I’m pretty sure Harvey doesn’t know that his closest friend is the Dark Knight.

~Alfred is Yelp before Yelp became a thing.

~You know… it just occurred to me… why has there never been a version of the Batmobile, at least as far as I know, that transforms itself into a normal rich man’s car a la the Gadetmobile. That way whenever Bats has to switch to Bruce, he can just have his civilian clothes in it, press a button, change into them, and he’s ready for formal events like his dinner appointment with Harvey. Yes, it would seem a little impractical to do so, but I remind you in this DC Universe the Gotham P.D. uses patrol zeppelins and that too is also very impractical.

~And Bruce immediately feels like a third wheel on his own dinner appointment the moment his sees lip-on-lip action. Like you should have been from the very beginning, Mr. Wayne.

~I’d also have a spit take reaction if someone said they asked to marry a very attractive redhead.

~Wait what… Harvey asked to marry an attractive woman… that he’s known for a week. I’m with Bruce, you’re rushing into things, Mr. Dent.

~Well… I guess Ms. Isley’s kiss was poisonous instead of sweet.

~Random doctor/nurse caring for Harvey: “Make sure there are no explosives nearby or that the Joker isn’t involved with this.”

~You’re still a credit to the police force, Bullock. Truly.

~Bruce… you should know better that this isn’t food poisoning. Food poisoning would cause people to throw up and/or proclaim they have an upset stomach or are nauseous. Not say they feel hot and randomly pass out.

~The World’s Greatest Detective: not knowing anything about different types of poisoning and forced to steal blood samples.

~Okay… I’m calling BS on this episode because, unless you’re Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho, roses cannot be made poisonous.

~Took long enough for Bruce to put 2 and 2 together.

~Really… Pamela Isley lives on 69 Green Street on Gotham… Subtlety thy name is Batman: The Animated Series.

~Pamela takes her gardening hobby VERY seriously.

~No not cacti! Bats could’ve been prickled all over!

~Apparently, Bats accidentally entered one of the Hogwarts greenhouses because there are now killer plants after him.

~And Pamela finally reveals herself as Poison Ivy.

~Uh… murder in human culture often means killing other people in cold blood. Not plants, Ivy. What Harvey did, at best, was landscaping and, at worst, ruining nature for the sake of progress.

~FLOWERS DON’T HAVE BLOOD. ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO HOW CRAZY YOU ARE NOW?!?!

~It’s kinda scary that Bruce’s first on-screen kiss is with a crazy gardener and he’s being slowly poisoned to death because of it.

~Note to self: watch Little Shop of Horrors.

~I guess Poison Ivy doesn’t have her plant-controlling powers yet because she attacks Batman with a mini-crossbow.

~Fire: a plant’s greatest weakness! Aside from bugs, birds, and poisons, but still…

~And Poison Ivy is now like Gollum in that she cares mostly about plants before anything else like, her own well-being, revenge, and her current situation.

~Baman to Poison Ivy after escaping the flaming greenhouse: “You do know that you are under arrest and have to go to jail now, right?”

~Well… I’m in the mood for a good salad now.

The Underdwellers

~Who plays a game of chicken on top of a moving electric train?

~Bats has my reaction to these two reckless teenagers.

~And fried chicken may sound good to you teens, but once you learn the process, you never want to go into it full time. …Where was I going with this analogy?

~Really lady? You aren’t going to go after the purse snatcher? I mean I know you’re… portly and probably rich, but you could at least try to run after the little thief instead of saying that someone stole your purse. Just sayin’.

~Stereotypical old ladies. Can’t live with them, can’t live without them.

~Oh great, the plot is finding Lucky and his cereal, isn’t it?

~How do any of you people know that the thief was a leprechaun? It could have been just a random homeless kid. Why automatically assume a little green-dressed Irish person? Yes, the purse snatcher wore some green, but still…

~Bruce Wayne and Batman don’t know when to take a vacation. Unless they’ve both quit the business, but still…

~Witty dialogue is more appreciated than bad wordplay.

~Well… this is depressing: a bunch of, presumably, homeless kids trying to make a living and survive.

~One fairly well-dressed adult amongst so many homeless kids… must be the default leader or something.

~Geez… this guy really likes his silence despite being so talky, doesn’t he?

~I don’t like this guy for forcing kids to stay quiet and do his bidding. Kids are free spirits most of the time. What exactly did this guy do to make all these kids bow to his every whim?

~One glimpse with the Bat Visor gives Bats all the confirmation he needs apparently.

~The last time I saw the Sewer King was in Hey Arnold! He didn’t look like the guy one should “Beware of”. If the leader of those kids was the Sewer King however…. Yeah, totally justified.

~Amazon Prime observation time: weird clipping on the music, sound effects, and Batman’s dialogue and had to switch to a different player to hear it clearly.

~Best security system: a bunch of empty cans tied onto a piece of string.

~More random clipping again from Amazon Prime…

~Okay… Amazon Prime clearly cut out one part because the other player I’m using clearly shows the shocked kid’s expression to almost getting hit by a subway train whereas Amazon Prime skips to Batman saving the kid. Weird.

~Bruce Wayne: the best parental figure around.

~It’s amazing how much we know about this little kid’s treatment from the Sewer King through visual motions and facial expressions with absolutely no dialogue.

~We then immediately cut back to the Sewer King living like, well, a king in a sewer would with him treating the kids as ungrateful servants.

~Geez… this guy is totally irredeemable, isn’t he?

~Again, very nice expressing what life this nameless boy Bruce took through only visual cues.

~I’m surprised all those kids didn’t flinch after having their photos taken.

~Of course the Sewer King would have pet crocodiles/alligators.

~Batman… just wrestled, muzzled and hogtied an alligator/crocodile with rope. Holy cow.

~You’re one to talk, Sewer King.

~Geez, Batman you watch Steve Irwin too much.

~Sewer-ception.

~”Feed, clothe, discipline, and trach” his children. Right…

~Just a simple later to the sewer gators/crocs from Bats.

~I don’t blame you Bats. Sewer King is totally irredeemable in almost every way.

~And one more clipping from Amazon Prime before the episode ends beautifully. Thanks Amazon.

Next set: P.O.V., The Forgotten, and Be A Clown
Old September 1st, 2016, 03:41 PM #8
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

~I guess Poison Ivy doesn’t have her plant-controlling powers yet because she attacks Batman with a mini-crossbow.
Interestingly enough, was re-watching a later episode with her the other day that led to me asking in the comic thread and to friends if they've seen her with the crossbow in the comics, and apparently she doesn't. Then again, Ivy doesn't have powers in this show and her plants are made via science, so probably why they did such.
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:26 PM #9
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

The Last Laugh

~Quick question: do rich people really need butlers and/or maids to draw their baths? Because it seems like something they can do themselves perfectly well. Or is it one of the many things they need their house workers to do when they doing whatever business/eccentric tasks they’re doing for the day?[/i]
It's more efficient to have someone tell you when the water's right rather than standing there waiting for it.

Then again, it's also more efficient to take a shower, so they're probably just exerting control over other people.

Wait… does Summer have a sixth sense because she, and I imagine her cameramen too, has a gas mask and expositing what’s happening on the news.
They're covering the story, which means they had to hear about the story, which means they knew what the effects of the gas were before they started.

And that is why you should’ve developed an antidote to your gas instead of giving your henchmen clown masks that filter your gas, Joker.
Actually, it's smarter not to, because the good guys always make use of any available antidotes.

April Fools’ is overrated. Just saying.
I hate you now.

Pretty Poison

~Way to reinforce those negative stereotypes about cops, Bullock.
"Screw you."

Bruce… you should know better that this isn’t food poisoning. Food poisoning would cause people to throw up and/or proclaim they have an upset stomach or are nauseous. Not say they feel hot and randomly pass out.
It differs per person, as with any illness. Especially immediately after it happens.

Uh… murder in human culture often means killing other people in cold blood. Not plants, Ivy. What Harvey did, at best, was landscaping and, at worst, ruining nature for the sake of progress.
You understand she's insane, right?

The Underdwellers

~I don’t like this guy for forcing kids to stay quiet and do his bidding. Kids are free spirits most of the time. What exactly did this guy do to make all these kids bow to his every whim?
Probably gave them food like Idris Elba in Beasts of No Nation.

Bruce Wayne: the best parental figure around.
Robin thinks so.
Old September 15th, 2016, 04:02 PM #10
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

Got distracted by Fairy Tail and Spirit of Justice. Back with more Batman.

P.O.V.

~Late night Gotham P.D. patrol.

~Well… that sting went down south fast.

~So… exactly how did Bullock make Detective?

~Why do you always blame Batman, Bullock? He’s usually more of a help than a hindrance.

~Ah… I almost forgot… the DCAU introduced a whole bunch of Canon Foreigners/Immigrants, most of them coming from Batman Beyond, and now we’re somewhat properly being introduced to one of them: Renee Montoya.

~Often times in animated P.O.V. stories, the art styles changes depending on the person’s view… however, I guess since this is technically the first P.O.V. story in the DCAU, the animation is still fairly consistent… which I can totally respect.

~Yes, Batman made that noise and not you, Bullock.

~Also, in P.O.V. stories, the storyteller often embellishes themselves to portray themselves better, but in this case the events happening, I believe, are fairly accurate because Bullock is being a total badass instead of being somewhat bumbling.

~How is saving your life bungling everything, Bullock?

~Time for another P.O.V. story!

~I like this guy’s PO.V. story. He’s almost like the kind of guy who reads comics a lot who tells his non-comic reading friends what’s happening in the comics.

~”There’s obviously a communication problem here.” Most common thing that can happen in any P.O.V. story, Gordon.

~Well… I respect Renee Montoya more now as she’s being very professional about her view and not at all disrespectful about Bullock’s.

~Okay… I know absolutely nothing about police hierarchy so… who has final say in suspension of officers? The commissioner or the lieutenant?

~More respect for Renee as she figures out where the criminals are from her comrade’s story and investigates herself while under suspension.

~Batman: Crazy Prepared incarnate.

~I can now see why Renee was made into the second Question in the comics, she’s kinda awesome.

~Warehouse fight scene!

~Well… a crane lift doesn’t have the same impact as a fork lift, but still, good piloting that thing, Renee.

~The nameless henchman uses a forklift, however, since he is nameless and a henchman, he is doomed to fail in his badassery against Batman.

~Batman: weaponizing hijacked forklifts.

~I just now noticed: this episode’s climax has almost no dialogue.

~You Renee, if being the second Question doesn’t work out for you in the comics, you have great potential to be Batwoman.

~I’d call that a good end.

The Forgotten

~Okay… I haven’t commented on the theme song yet because it’s amazing and there’s no need to, IMHO, but for some reason Amazon Prime has been mostly been playing the standard BTAS intro theme. In On Leather Wings and this episode though, it’s The New Batman-Superman Adventures theme/intro for some odd reason. Weird.

~Homeless shelter conspiracy!

~Bruce Wayne: master of disguise.

~Really great musical buildup. Shirley Walker really knew her stuff.

~I kinda love that Kevin Conroy is voice acting Bruce Wayne trying voice a gangster.

~Bruce got distracted by a cat?

~Oh great… amnesia plot with Bruce in a place that he doesn’t know. Alfred will probably call a missing person’s report in a month if Bruce doesn’t remember by the end of the episode.

~Obligatory fat villain that’s not The Penguin.

~Welp, congrats Bruce… you have no memory and somehow ended up in not Camp Green Lake. Have fun!

~Better start that missing person’s report Alfred.

~I think Bruce is starting to remember something with these two prisoners’ backstories.

~Ah… the ol’ collapsed mine. Simple but effective.

~Oh yeah… kinda forgot Alfred works for Bruce Wayne and Batman… he doesn’t need a missing person’s report; he just needs advanced technology and basic detective skills.

~Woah… that mirror thing where Bruce transforms into The Joker took me by surprise.

~Very… unique dream there, creative team.

~Nothing like a fight at a prison mine.

~I kinda love that Alfred is just casually walking into a scrapyard in his butler outfit with a tracking device in his hand.

~Meanwhile, in a hot box of sorts, once amnesiac Bruce hears the word “family’ we see him in a flashback with his folks then cut to their gravestone cracking followed by a bunch of bats coming towards his heroic alter ego. Very artsy.

~Chase scene with Bruce finally remembering everything now… I think.

~Apparently, Alfred doesn’t use any of the Bat Vehicles often since he’s having trouble with the Plane.

~Apparently, Bruce programmed the Batplane to have some self-awareness since it said “Your Funeral” to Alfred after he told it there was no decent place to land.

~Spain thanks you for your contribution, Alfred.

~Well… now you’re royally screwed Boss Biggis. (Again, thank you Amazon Prime)

~Dude… he most likely brought night-vision goggles to see, plus Bats most often works under cover of night. Of course he has night vision.

~Wuh-oh…

~Yeah… from what I hear, prison food is pretty bad, so sucks to be you, Boss Biggis.

~And we end with some lightheartedness and humor.

Be A Clown

~Okay… I might have to put up a counting gag for how many times the The New Batman-Superman Adventures theme/intro is used instead of the standard one for these reviews since, let’s be honest, the Really Bad Pun counter will hardly ever get used due to my personal rules. (NBSA theme/intro: 3)

~Well that introductory shot was subtle as all get out.

~More subtlety in the first scene.

~Definitely unsubtle in the slightest regarding this first scene.

~It’s not enough that Batman has arrive swinging into the scene, but he has to do it riding a construction girder weaponized.

~Summer Gleeson shares my sarcasm.

~Batman and The Joker… both the same? Right, Mayor and The DCAU and The DCEU are totally the same as well… Oh wait!

~For once, I’m in agreement with Joker.

~Ah the life of a respectable authority figure: favoring your own future prospects instead of your family’s… most of the time.

~Hey a non-evil clown! You hardly see any of those in superhero cartoons nowadays!

~I find it unintentionally hilarious that an electric joybuzzer would later become a plot point… but that’s for an entirely different review.

~Great lesson to teach to the Mayor’s son, Jekko.

~It’s easy to sympathize with little Jordan here and somewhat understandable why the Mayor treats him this way.

~Oh dear… Jekko was the Joker…

~Glad to see Bruce instantly recognizes Joker from his signature laugh.

~Bruce Wayne: pulling a clumsy, inept fool to prevent, essentially, terrorist attacks.

~Wuh-oh… Jordan took “Jekko’s” advice a little too much to heart.

~”Faulty electrical wiring”… From a birthday cake that fell into a pool? Yeah right, Mayor and no way a man flying in a metal suit dodging fighter jets is a “training exercise”.

~Joker thinking about preserving his legacy… This can only end so well.

~Wow… Joker’s actually pretty good with clown tricks when he’s not being… well, himself.

~So much unintentional foreshadowing to Return of the Joker that’s it’s almost scary.

~And unintentional foreshadowing to Fire Emblem Fates with the way Joker uses playing cards as if they were shuriken/daggers.

~Joker decides the unconscious Batman’s fate… through a fortune-telling machine. Well… if it works in Futurama…

~I don’t remember Houdini doing the Water Tank Trap trick. Then again, I probably do remember, but forgot it sometime ago.

~I’m really enjoying the show, Joker, if it’s any consolation.

~Bat Magic? I don’t think you’ve accepted the existence of actual real life magic yet, Bruce.

~I really respect amusement parks at night and/or abandoned in TV and movies. Really gives a sense that a fun place can be scary if you wander into it in the dark or when there’s no one else there.

~And I immediately see the inspiration for the amusement park level The Adventures of Batman and Robin game from the SNES.

~Duel Coaster: eat your heart out.

~Of course part of the track is broken! Why wouldn’t it be?

~Well… Batman definitely did cause collateral damage right then and there.

~When Batman gives you a thumbs up, you know everything is going to be all right.

Last edited by RangerSentai; September 26th, 2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old September 15th, 2016, 04:58 PM #11
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

P.O.V.

~So… exactly how did Bullock make Detective?
"None of yer beeswax, twerp."

Why do you always blame Batman, Bullock? He’s usually more of a help than a hindrance.
"He's not licensed to be helpin' anybody, twerp!"

How is saving your life bungling everything, Bullock?
"Because I coulda saved my own life, twerp!"

Okay… I know absolutely nothing about police hierarchy so… who has final say in suspension of officers? The commissioner or the lieutenant?
I'm pretty sure it's the lieutenant, but the commissioner in Gotham City seems to fulfill the traditional role of a lieutenant, so I have no idea in this scenario.

The Forgotten

~Dude… he most likely brought night-vision goggles to see, plus Bats most often works under cover of night. Of course he has night vision.
Maybe they assume he's an actual bat.

The motif was the edge Bruce was hoping to gain over his opponents, after all.

Be A Clown

~Hey a non-evil clown! You hardly see any of those in superhero cartoons nowadays!
Only because most superhero cartoons are DC Comics cartoons.

Wow… Joker’s actually pretty good with clown tricks when he’s not being… well, himself.
You expected a man who literally devoted his entire life to being a clown to be a bad clown?!

So much unintentional foreshadowing to Return of the Joker that’s it’s almost scary.
Or Return of the Joker was so much intentional homage to this episode that it's obvious.

I don’t remember Houdini doing the Water Tank Trap trick. Then again, I probably do remember, but forgot it sometime ago.
But if you forgot, you don't remember. >_____>

Bat Magic? I don’t think you’ve accepted the existence of actual real life magic yet, Bruce.
But just because you don't believe in actual magic doesn't mean you can't do conventional mechanical magic.
Old September 26th, 2016, 03:24 PM #12
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

Dragon Quest VII is very slow-paced but very good once you get deep into it.

Two-Face: Part 1

~Woah… extremely ominous beginning sequence involving Harvey seeing his other darker side saying essentially: “It is time.” I like!

~Rather worrying about a dreamlike impression of the future, Harvey chooses to focus on the present situation like a true professional.

~Ah the classic police situation where they tell perps that the place is surrounded and that they should surrender and no one gets hurt. Never gets old that one.

~Uh… random nameless thugs? Are you sure you know how to handle bazookas? I mean, I’m pretty sure that a gun and a bazooka have different firing feels to them, despite me not being an expert on shooting.

~Yeah… there was definitely no way those random thugs could handle Bats.

~Ow… that was… kinda forced Harvey. (Really bad puns: 3)

~Oh dear… that creepy face after that random dude kicked mug onto Harvey’s suit…

~Geez… Harvey suddenly went super aggressive!

~Harvey Dent. Two words for you: anger management.

~Ruining a suit is the right button for Harvey Dent to go psycho? Well… I’ve heard of stupider reasons to go psycho…

~Handsome Hothead Harvey. Kinda rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it?

~Ah… Thorne’s going for the ol’ blackmail ploy. Lots of simple, but effective situations in this two-parter.

~I would’ve gone for a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde allegory, but your picture and negative allegory works just as well Thorne.

~Candace: “Plus, I hear he’s got his hands full with this up and coming attorney. I forget his first name, but I’m pretty sure the last name is Wright.”

~Harvey has another fiancé after a few episodes of proper introduction? He works fast.

~Oh dear… Harvey went crazy again. Someone give him some sleeping pills or a nice stiff drink.

~Something I just noticed now… not only was there a dark foreboding music theme to psycho Harvey, but the background changes tint when he goes from normal to psycho or vice-versa. Very nice touch there.

~Bruce Wayne definitely is the one you want to confide all your secrets to.

~Whoa… I definitely saw Two-Face during that lightning strike there.

~Well… I now know Bale got the gravelly voice inspiration from the wrong character from this series…

~Yeah… hypnosis is definitely not the best way to figure out dissociative identity disorder. Nor is alcohol.

~Yeah… from what little knowledge I have about the entire DCAU, there is no way this Harvey’s DID is going to remain secret.

~I kind of now know where this is going tragedy-wise but, I’ll play along.

~Bruce sees something’s up with Harvey, and he tells him it’s no concern of his, but as far as Batman is concerned…

~It’s okay for Batman to use a gun so long as it doesn’t shoot bullets or any other kind of deadly ammunition.

~I feel like Thorne has now become Palpatine...

~HARVEY SMASH PUNY THORNE!

~Of course the token lady doesn’t get involved in the fighting and just gives her own two cents on the carnage.

~Try to make that “No” sound a little more convincing Mr. Conroy.

~Harvey Dent is gone. Two-Face has come forth.

Two-Face: Part 2

~Last time: Big Bad Harv, and yes, this is the only time I’ll use that goofy name, has come full force into becoming Two-Face. Coming up is the aftermath of the transformation.

~I like in the animated version, the two-headed coin Harvey uses is scratched on one side rather than covered by burn marks to distinguish the obvious light/dark connections.

~I just checked the value of a silver dollar… and apparently one is worth a good chunk of money.

~Random Thorne mook: “So the random gunshots were in Morse code or he wrote something in the wall with his gunshots. Either way, Dent’s become this Two-Face guy now and he’s after you, boss.”

~Six months? That’s… a somewhat unnecessary time skip.

~How will that work exactly, Thorne? I mean both faces are attached pretty well to Two-Face. Or are you speaking metaphorically?

~Dang… that dream sequence… just… dang…

~Or Harvey could be having a weird dream where he ends up in some foreign land where if you try to defend someone in court and fail to prove their innocence you get turned into a noodle storyteller.

~The police waited six months to give Harvey’s fiancé a tracker if Harvey showed up to see her? What were you doing those six months? Trying to make the dang thing?

~Oh… it wasn’t the police… it was Thorne’s group… well that answers some questions and brings up new ones.

~These two twin henchmen… actually have a good point… Just go see your girl, Harvey, or ask her to a date to your hideout. Sure, you’re a criminal now, but you’re primarily working against a criminal who caused your downfall. You can still redeem yourself by not doing this petty revenge against Thorne.

~Question: has there ever been a time where in any form of media, Two-Face’s coin has landed on its side. I mean I know the chances of that happening are very, very rare, but what would Harvey Dent do if that situation ever came up?

~Alfred actually brings up a good joke with the idea of a 2nd National Bank.

~I find it very convenient that Rupert Thorne had his most precious criminal fronts were themed around the number two. It’s almost like he knew that Harvey Dent would go all Dark Side into Two-Face and wanted to be prepared.

~You’re going just for symbolic destruction of Thorne rather than both symbolic and physical, Harvey? Whatever floats your boat(s).

~The acting could use a little bit more work… but I’ll give it a bit of slack since almost everything else has been near flawless.

~Thank you, random janitor, for helping out the Caped Crusader.

~Plot convenient timing!

~And now we’ve gone into Phantom of the Opera with Harvey covering the ruined side of his face with a sheet.

~Again… if the situation ever arises when your symbolic two-headed coin lands on its side, what will you do then Harvey Dent?

~No commentary right now… it’s getting really good.

~So… why exactly didn’t you make copies of Thornes files, Two-Face? Was it by chance?

~Well… Bats couldn’t really make Two-Face’s coin land on the side just like that, so he did the next best thing and used the silver dollars that Harvey stole at the beginning to make him panic and indecisive.

~Good ending all around.
Old September 26th, 2016, 03:49 PM #13
> Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay
Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay

"Two-Face" was the point that really had me questioning WHEN this series was supposed to be taking place.

Like, all the cars look like 1940s-ish designs & most of the gangsters carry around the iconic "Tommy Gun" from the 1920's. Dent carries a silver dollar, something i'm not sure was even still in circulation back when this first aired....
Arkvoodle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 04:08 PM #14
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

Arkvoodle wrote: View Post

"Two-Face" was the point that really had me questioning WHEN this series was supposed to be taking place.

Like, all the cars look like 1940s-ish designs & most of the gangsters carry around the iconic "Tommy Gun" from the 1920's. Dent carries a silver dollar, something i'm not sure was even still in circulation back when this first aired....
The creators wanted the show to be a amalgamation of several different time periods. Gets weirder when Superman's cartoon is taken into account.
Virus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 04:12 PM #15
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

It was more for a timeless type of setting, though New Batman Adventures (seasons 5 & 6) made it more present day in look.
Old September 27th, 2016, 02:13 AM #16
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

Two-Face: Part 1

~Harvey Dent. Two words for you: anger management.
That's what we like to call a catalyst.

Bruce Wayne definitely is the one you want to confide all your secrets to.
Oh, yeah. He sometimes even lies to himself.

Two-Face: Part 2

~I find it very convenient that Rupert Thorne had his most precious criminal fronts were themed around the number two. It’s almost like he knew that Harvey Dent would go all Dark Side into Two-Face and wanted to be prepared.
Or Thorne's as obsessed with the number two as Harv is with the coin.

Well… Bats couldn’t really make Two-Face’s coin land on the side just like that, so he did the next best thing and used the silver dollars that Harvey stole at the beginning to make him panic and indecisive.
Even Batman doesn't always have time to defy physics.
Old October 7th, 2016, 02:54 PM #17
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

This review was meant to go up yesterday, but due to work shenanigans, it was moved up a day. C'est la vie.

It’s Never Too Late (NBSA theme/intro: 4)

~Ah, the ol’ kids playing on the street but staying away from someone else’s creepy house routine.

~Hey Thorne is still at large from last episode because… plot.

~This sounds like a Godfather plot so far… never mind the fact that I’ve never seen any of The Godfather movies…

~Okay… I’m no technology buff, but I’m pretty sure destroying your remote doesn’t mean your TV goes broke as well.

~I don’t blame Stromwell for automatically assuming his rival mob lord has his son captive.

~Meanwhile, at Pete’s stereotypical Italian restaurant…

~Well… it’s obvious from the voice that the old man straggler is Bruce.

~Called it. Bruce is doing vigilante detective work.

~Geez this dialogue is so cliché, you can almost literally make a list of all the clichéd lines everyone is going to say.

~Woah… really great flashback revolving around Stromwell’s childhood.

~For a moment I thought the mob meeting was going to be at the church, but nope it’s just used for great effect to show Batman looking at Stromwell from afar.

~I dunno why but the idea of Batman at a church talking to a priest sounds hilarious.

~Wait… one of Thorne’s henchman clearly has a scar on the right of his face and a funny left eye. What’s his backstory? I’m kinda curious now.

~Well… judging from Thorne’s instant reaction to Stromwell’s “Where’s my son?”, I’d say he doesn’t have him captive/know where he is.

~Well… I can honestly say I did NOT see the Italian restaurant exploding with Stromwell inside.

~Batman: hero, symbol, and Deus Ex Machina.

~The idea of Batman running across rooftops with a mobster boss in his arms is also a hilarious.

~That’s our Bullock.

~This is the best conversation Batman can have with any mobster boss. Just saying.

~Wow… so the giant plot twist… was one of the drug PSAs Doug did… Dang. B:TAS you somehow pulled something stupidly cheesy and made it crazy dramatic and impactful. Well played.

~Well… I kinda figured Stormwell wouldn’t reveal his information THAT easily after a big plot reveal like that.

~Where was Bats storing that gas mask? And don’t say his utility belt. That thing looks too big to even fit in there.

~I kinda respect the animators more for having scar-faced funny-eyed henchman being the one to try and look for his friend and Batman in the darkness of this abandoned warehouse.

~Search and chase sequence!

~Aw… scar-faced funny-eyed henchman was the first one knocked out in this sequence.

~Really nice use of Stromwell reliving his own flashback.

~So the priest was Stromwell’s brother. Would’ve been more impactful if not for the spoilers Amazon Prime.

~Okay, Gotham P.D. Make sure Thorne stay locked up for good this time around please.

~And one last shot of the church because symbolism.

I’ve Got Batman in My Basement

~With a title like this, I expect some Adam West-like shenanigans involved.

~That’s one fancy-looking Fabergé egg.

~Surprised that Bats didn’t show up sooner to stop these two random criminals. Maybe he wanted to wait until they did the deed and showed the goods.

~Random attack vulture. What?

~Gee… I wonder which bird-based villain could be behind the Fabergé egg heist. Clearly it must be Aviarius.

~Meanwhile in suburban Gotham… the plight of a bullied kid. Because… world building.

~Who does this kid think he is? Encyclopedia Brown?

~Yup… the kid is definitely Encyclopedia Brown and the girl is Sally Kimball. Forget what the show says, I’m calling them those names because I’m pretty sure they won’t leave much of an impact after this episode.

~Oh hai Penguin.

~So many bad bird puns that DCAU Penguin could easily be mistaken for Schumacher’s Mr. Freeze.

~Yes, tell someone by not leaving the abandoned warehouse but going further into it. Encyclopedia Brown: boy genius!

~And now I’m getting Home Alone 2 flashbacks with the villains getting coated in birdseed.

~You know… I would actually legitimately want to see Encyclopedia Brown team up with Batman. That would be one of the best crossovers ever.

~I’d believe that someone would adjust an umbrella to be a gun to shoot out knockout gas or other projectiles. I mean, umbrellas, to me anyway, look to be like the ultimate all-purpose weapon. Say what you will about The Penguin, but he has the best weapon of choice.

~Yes help Batman by… helping him into his own car. THAT will help.

~I’m not surprised that Bruce outfitted the Batmobile to be decked out with gadgetry similar to the Mach 5.

~”Comedy and drama,” ladies and gentlemen.

~On second thought… judging by the scene where not Encyclopedia Brown and not Sally are trying to get The Penguin and his goons off the Batmobile in a chase scene of sorts… the crossover wouldn’t work.

~*facepalm* Why does Encyclopedia Brown have a poster of The Joker in his basement along with Batman? …I just realized how stupid that sentence I just wrote was…

~It took until around halfway into the episode for Batman to end up in the basement. Well… at least it’s better that an 8 minute or so fight scene that shows up near the end of the movie against Superman.

~*facepalm* Batman clearly said “capsule” not “capture” Encyclopedia Brown. Get it right!

~*facepalm* Uh… not Encyclopedia Brown… not Sally has a point. Call the police and tell them Batman needs help. Yes, his identity must remain a secret, but still he’s in bad shape and needs help. Bend the rules of your detective code to help Bats out!

~A week of Batman in not Encyclopedia Brown’s basement? Gonna be a LONG week then.

~Okay… that was legitimately funny what not Sally just said to not Mrs. Brown.

~And not Bugs Meany shows up again. Yay?

~Not Bugs Meany unintentionally helped not Encyclopedia Brown!

~This isn’t a game… Right… and I suppose your snooping around wasn’t a game as well not Encyclopedia Brown?

~See… that’s what you get for not calling the police sooner not Encyclopedia Brown. The Penguin’s pet vulture will bite off your phone lines for not doing it sooner.

~*facepalm* Do you even know what’s even IN the utility belt not Encyclopedia Brown?!?!

~For the record… it’s a shame that this episode is Penguin’s premiere in TAS. He deserves a classier introduction than this nonsense.

~Home Alone antics. Well… we already had the birdseed scene… might as well add more to it…

~Again… Penguin deserves a classier introduction than this with him having the ultimate weapon of choice.

~Of course Batman wakes up almost at the last minute because plot.

~Really? Batman is fighting off Penguin’s umbrella sword… with a screwdriver…. Well if Dr. McNinja can fend off a chainsaw with a katana….

~And Reality Ensues with the Home Alone shenanigans. Thank you.

~And the payoff to the earlier joke to what not Sally said to not Mrs. Brown loses all impact with not Encyclopedia Brown’s comment of Batman’s relationship status.

~*sigh* Well… I now have greater appreciation for Batman teaming up with Scooby-Doo now at least…

Heart of Ice (NBSA theme/intro: 5)

~No references to Batman & Robin unfortunately.

~Really good transition with the snowy title screen to Mr. Freeze monologuing to the dancing ballerina figurine.

~Definite sleazeball CEO vibes from this guy.

~Part of me really like that the Bat Computer merges all the stolen tech into a sort of Megazord-like tank.

~Apparently the Batmobile wasn’t built for the winter roads of Gotham.

~Mr. Freeze’s ice gun is more powerful that it seems at times because it can make a frozen steel door shatter when rammed into.

~Nice brief exchange of dialogue between Batman and Mr. Freeze.

~Okay… one small reference to Batman & Robin… I can now see why The Governator was cast to portray Mr. Freeze in the movie with his robotic voice in TAS.

~Dang… Mr. Freeze is… no other word for it but… cold.

~Part of me really hopes that Bruce brought that frozen legged henchman to the cave blindfolded.

~Bruce Wayne and Batman: always on the job, whether sick or injured.

~Sleazeball CEO seems a bit less sleazball-ish when he explains his reasons as… perfectly logical.

~I wouldn’t say chicken soup is the ONLY way to fight a cold. Some good hot tea with a bit of lemon and honey also works wonders as well.

~Oh Fries… you will later regret your research into immortality…

~Again… sleazeball CEO… has a point in this video flashback. Sure he’s rude and kinda asshole-ish, but his reasons are reasonable and logical.

~Really good point to cut to a commercial break.

~ It’s VERY easy to see why this episode in particular is nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Writing in an Animated Program.

~Not much to comment on this episode that hasn’t already been said by other reviewers who’ve reviewed this episode before.

~Nice backhand punch there, Bats.

~Creative use of a fire hydrant there, Fries.

~Lots of good confrontations.

~Hot soup pierces a cold man’s shell literally!

~Great ending and episode all around. Practically flawless.
Old October 7th, 2016, 04:12 PM #18
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

It’s Never Too Late (NBSA theme/intro: 4)

~Okay… I’m no technology buff, but I’m pretty sure destroying your remote doesn’t mean your TV goes broke as well.
I've come to expect weird computer dealings, but never something as easy for a writer in the '90s to understand as a television.

I don’t blame Stromwell for automatically assuming his rival mob lord has his son captive.
That's the problem with having enemies, it's where your mind goes.

I dunno why but the idea of Batman at a church talking to a priest sounds hilarious.
Because he gets by on a highly anti-Christy persona?

Wait… one of Thorne’s henchman clearly has a scar on the right of his face and a funny left eye. What’s his backstory? I’m kinda curious now.
Doing mobby things will oftentimes result in scars and eyes coming out of alignment.

That's why you shouldn't join the mob, kids.

Batman: hero, symbol, and Deus Ex Machina.
Bat-Shark Repellant proved that decades ago.

Where was Bats storing that gas mask? And don’t say his utility belt. That thing looks too big to even fit in there.
It folds?

Yeah, I don't buy it either.

I’ve Got Batman in My Basement

~That’s one fancy-looking Fabergé egg.
Aren't they all fancy? That's the whole point.

*facepalm* Why does Encyclopedia Brown have a poster of The Joker in his basement along with Batman? …I just realized how stupid that sentence I just wrote was…
Good guys and bad guys are equally cool. One can't exist without the other.

For the record… it’s a shame that this episode is Penguin’s premiere in TAS. He deserves a classier introduction than this nonsense.
This is the second episode I think about when I think of TAS, so respectfully disagree.

Heart of Ice (NBSA theme/intro: 5)

~Definite sleazeball CEO vibes from this guy.
All DCEOs are sleazeballs until proven otherwise.

It's pretty amazing they took such a dumb villain as a gimmicky jewel thief and made him quite possibly the most compelling baddie in the series.

Last edited by AkaPrimoKanyeWest; October 7th, 2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old October 7th, 2016, 08:40 PM #19
> stealth_ranger
RIP Motörhead: 1975-2015

stealth_ranger
RIP Motörhead: 1975-2015

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

I often wonder if Zeta Project was something forced on them by the network or something, because I've never DC try to revive it to tap into that 2000-era nostalgia market the way they did Beyond and even elements of JLU...correct me if I'm wrong though (did he show up in the more recent BB comics?)
Not to derail the thread but I did some digging and came across this:

The World's Finest wrote:
Interviews - Robert Goodman Talks New The Zeta Project

With The Zeta Project scheduled to return in the new year, anticipation for the second season has been reaching new heights. Toon Zone News was able to catch up to Robert Goodman to discuss Zeta's second season.

When asked if Batman Beyond will be appearing in the upcoming season, Goodman said:

"Batman doesn't appear in season two -- sorry. So to date, the only Zeta/Batman crossovers have been the original Batman Beyond episode "Zeta"; the Batman Beyond where Batman, Zeta and Ro faced Mad Stan, "Countdown"; and the The Zeta Project episode where Batman helped Zeta fight IU7, "Shadows." As for the future... anything's possible."

Goodman also reveals the Batman Beyond episode "Zeta" was not created just to spin Zeta into his own series:

"Hey...I wonder if you'd help me clear up a little misconception: Unlike what everyone on the web seems to believe, the original Batman Beyond episode, "Zeta", was not written with the plan to launch a spin-off in mind. I'd know; I wrote it. It was well after the script was finished and the episode was in pre-production that I even had the idea to spin Zeta off into his own series; and the better part of a year before we got the green light to go ahead. "

The Zeta Project's second season will also be filled with action, according to Goodman.

"More, more and more. To paraphrase a favorite TV chef, we have seriously kicked the series up a notch for season two. More action, more suspense, higher stakes. To give you just a taste of what to expect: Some serious encounters with Agent Bennet -- including a peek into his home and work worlds, and one point where he has Zeta captured and wired up for reprogramming. IU7's back, and more dangerous than ever. Ro finally finds her first real link to her family. And let's just say a lot more of the Doctor Selig puzzle falls into place. Plus, there's even an appearance by some villains from the Batman Beyond universe... but that you'll have to watch and see."
http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF...stage/rg01.php
stealth_ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM #20
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

So… this review set was delayed many times due to work shenanigans but that’s okay with me because… this particular review and two-parter contains A LOT of uncomfortable undertones if viewed by today’s modern audiences. I felt uncomfortable myself even posting this review so if I get a warning/infraction or get an immediate ban, I would not be surprised at all. You have been warned. Thank you and enjoy the review to the best of your abilities.

The Cat and The Claw: Part 1 (NBSA theme/intro: 6)

~Oh yeah… in some cases Catwoman doubles as Spider-Man… or Spider-Woman in this case.

~Catwoman also has a pet cat named Isis… I see what you did there, writers.

~Well… it was almost a flawless cat burglary until Bats showed up.

~Bats and Cats both have super ninja skills. No wonder these two are so popularly shipped.

~I haven’t played any Assassin’s Creed games, but it looks to me that this particular chase scene is very much akin to Assassin’s Creed.

~Bats was taken down by trash cans? Well… that was innovative thinking an Catwoman’s part at least…

~Okay… pet owners, answer me this, is there a cat whistle like there is a dog whistle?

~Flirting, ladies and gentlemen.

~An auction for one of Gotham’s most famous people… No, I promised myself only one incredibly blatant Batman & Robin reference per season/movie…

~Woah… random lady donated ten times the last price… she must be one of Gotham’s new elites.

~It’s weird to see playboy Bruce Wayne blush and go gaga over someone. Usually it’s the other way around.

~I kinda love that after he promised to go on a date with Selina, Bruce immediately vanishes and turns into Bats after hearing police sirens.

~I swear, nine out of ten times that the chase sequences are really good. You can all probably guess which chase sequence failed so far at least.

~Terrorism… in the 90’s… Oh… hindsight…

~Ha ha… irony!

~So… is Maven’s relationship to Selina similar to Alfred’s relationship to Bruce’s?

~Ha ha… more irony!

~Selina’s really passionate about wildlife preserves… particularly ones for felines.

~Bruce Wayne: the ultimate connection builder.

~Both sides kinda make good points. In Selina’s case, it makes more sense to build a wildlife preserve because it best habitable for wildcats. On the flipside, Multigon guy sees it as a business opportunity for tourism because it’s out in the middle of scenic nowhere.

~This is slowly turning into a Captain Planet episode… except written decently.

~Red Claw makes an imposing first appearance. (Thanks, Amazon Prime.)

~Selina and Bruce both have “plans”.

~That’s one way to make an entrance.

~Bats really knows how to intimidate people.

~Huh… so I wasn’t totally off the mark about this being a better written Captain Planet-esque episode because Red Claw is essentially evil Linka.

~Again… Catwoman was doing so well… but again, she didn’t count on a factor she overlooked, which in this case is hidden security cameras.

~Not every day you see a tense scene in a ventilation system.

~Cat caltrops. Nice.

~Catwoman’s occasional commentary reminds me a lot of Terry’s commentary for Batman Beyond.

~Well… at least that’s a better kiss than from a crazy gardener.

~Great flirting!

~Catwoman tends to not notice a lot of small factors, doesn’t she?

The Cat and The Claw: Part 2 (NBSA theme/intro: 7)

~Last time: terrorism, environmentalism, romance, and Catwoman’s inability to not notice the small things. Coming up, hopefully less terrorism and more of everything else.

~A park in the middle of the night with an ominous wind… Well… Halloween IS coming up soon…

~I could make a ninja Batman counter… but it’s probably a little too late for that factor now…

~I’d make a reference to the government but won’t because a. I don’t know much about it and b. I’m pretty sure government issues are tied into political issues which is a big no-no for the board.

~Terrorism via germ warfare… Definitely can’t make jokes about this… it’s too serious.

~A Bat-Glider? Geez, Bruce must’ve set those plans on the flying suit pretty low on his to-do list.

~Batman is fighting potential terrorists on a moving train. That should sound more awesome and dangerous than it seems.

~Why is Batman so surprised that certain people can be women is this two-parter?

~Yikes…

~I love that Gordon has a separate phone for Batman’s calls.

~A million on gold bullion? When did this turn into Reb Brown’s Captain America?

~Ha. Double meaning.

~Chase sequence with Bruce Wayne? That’s a new one!

~GTA, eat your heart out.

~Well… there might be some people after Bruce Wayne, but they can never seem to get him because he keeps on disappearing at random times.

~Yup, Maven is akin to Alfred as Selina is akin to Bruce.

~Batman has figured something out about Selina Kyle!

~No, not lemonade in the face! It stings in the eyes and it’s tasty on the tongue!

~A lot of the dialogue and reactions between Bats and Maven says it all.

~Catwoman should’ve had a better camera and a higher place to take photos from.

~Gotta love ironic speech.

~Oh dear…

~This is really tense, just saying.

~Uh… Bats… how do you intend on stopping the plague virus? I mean, you only have so much time and you’re definitely no miracle ninja doctor vigilante.

~Okay… even though that was a great climax, I’m pretty sure that’s not how chemical germs, flammable liquids, hand grenades, and other explosives work.

~Uh… Batman just made a building blow up… in an episode with terrorists… Yeah…

~Why are you blaming Catwoman, Red Claw? Batman caused your terrorist empire to fall. …I can’t believe I just wrote that sentence.

~Again, I’m pretty sure fire doesn’t immediately burn away chemical germs, but I’m not a scientist.

~Flirting at its finest.

I don’t normally do post commentary, but I HAVE to for this one. This was one review that was particularly hard to write, mostly because it has a lot of uncomfortable undertones that people today can see with the plot and its characters. Still, for what it’s worth, this was a great way to introduce Catwoman despite the… Harsher In Hindsight terrorism plot.