Home Menu

Menu

Old February 16th, 2019, 07:18 PM #881
> Professor Smooth
Hobby Drifter

Professor Smooth
Hobby Drifter

The post delivered Brachion this morning and I've been fiddling with it for the last hour. I'll probably do a proper video review a bit later, but I just wanted to get my thoughts out.

It's the best version of the character that has ever or probably will ever be available for sale. That's kind of a given. It looks great. It's incredibly solid. I'm surprised at just how much metal is in this thing. It is *really* heavy to the point where I'm worried it might buckle the shelf I planned on displaying it on.

All that said, I do have some nitpicks, fortunately almost all of them are packaging related.

The box is tiny. That's not such a bad thing, since throwing away SoC boxes seems wrong and it's nice that this one won't command a huge amount of space to store. But it's also really *boring*. And it doesn't have that awesome shot of the combined Ultimate Daizyujin that most previous Brachion toys did. When you open the box, you're greeted with a plastic tray holding all the removable bits. It sits on top of an instruction "book" (more on that later). The weight and layout of the tray made a huge circular indent on the cover of the book, which is something of a bummer. Underneath, there's a styrofoam box with a cardboard lid that has been taped down like Andy Kaufman's junk. Under that is the main body, wrapped in a plastic sheet.

The instruction book is just a fold-out pamphlet. Kind of disappointing after how nice previous SoC instructions were.

But packaging gripes aside, Brachion's great. Solid. Impeccable quality. I honestly don't know if it really just just a reworked Legacy version as I've never seen one in person.

For all my nitpicks, I really do appreciate that Bandai kept the costs low on this. I'd bet that a part of the reason that the packaging for it was so "meh" was to do just that.I don't have a single negative thing to say about the toy itself. It's an excellent addition to the SoC line and I expect it will be one of those items that stays in my collection forever.
Professor Smooth is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old February 16th, 2019, 07:59 PM #882
> Tyrannozord27
Power Ranger

Tyrannozord27
Power Ranger

Thanks for your impressions. Honestly, it didnt make sense for BOJ to completely re-design an existing mold (the Legacy version) and indeed it looks like thats what they did. I have the Legacy version myself, the black and gold version, and I have no complaints on it. It also follows that the consumers on this part of the world would not be shocked off their rocker with this Soul of Chogokin for the reason mentioned above. The Japanese public however, hasn't had their "prime" release of the King and this is aimed towards them primordially. For those of us that have invested in SOC zyuranger mecha it is the finishing episode in a long satisfying journey(feels like) that started with Daizyujin.
Tyrannozord27 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2019, 08:50 PM #883
> Professor Smooth
Hobby Drifter

Professor Smooth
Hobby Drifter

Tyrannozord27 wrote: View Post

Thanks for your impressions. Honestly, it didnt make sense for BOJ to completely re-design an existing mold (the Legacy version) and indeed it looks like thats what they did. I have the Legacy version myself, the black and gold version, and I have no complaints on it. It also follows that the consumers on this part of the world would not be shocked off their rocker with this Soul of Chogokin for the reason mentioned above. The Japanese public however, hasn't had their "prime" release of the King and this is aimed towards them primordially. For those of us that have invested in SOC zyuranger mecha it is the finishing episode in a long satisfying journey(feels like) that started with Daizyujin.
Yeah. When the Legacy stuff came out, I was seriously thinking about importing it here to Japan because what would the odds of any of it actually getting released over here. Zyuranger isn't *as* forgotten as it once was, but it's still not in many (most) fans' top 5.

I actually *did* import the first two Legacy Morphers before the Artisan Bucklers were announced, but left it at that.

Then, out of nowhere, BOOM! SoC Daizyujin gets announced. Then Dragon Ceasar. And finally King Brachion. Never, in my wildest dreams would I have thought that would happen. I figured we'd see a Transformer SoC before Zyuranger.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how Brachion sells. Daizyujin and Dragon Ceasar seem to have sold well. I never saw them on retail store shelves, only in collectible shoppes with hugely secondary market prices. But the market for Brachion in Japan seems pretty small. Limited only to the small group of Zyuranger fans who already bought the first two pieces in the series (and, of course, SoC completists). I can imagine this dropping in price significantly in the coming months.
Old February 17th, 2019, 01:07 PM #884
> Bouken Red
Power Ranger

Bouken Red
Power Ranger

I'm pissed what they did to dragon Caesar and king brochions boxes, why do they not match daizyujins? And why TF is there English on them. What happen?
Bouken Red is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 04:38 PM #885
> Tyrannozord27
Power Ranger

Tyrannozord27
Power Ranger

Bouken Red wrote: View Post

I'm pissed what they did to dragon Caesar and king brochions boxes, why do they not match daizyujins? And why TF is there English on them. What happen?
I think its a cost/time issue since the license is due to expire soon. Redesigning a separate box art for both items wouldve required more time to go through the process. It seems like they just wanted to get the items released quickly.
Old February 17th, 2019, 08:22 PM #886
> Professor Smooth
Hobby Drifter

Professor Smooth
Hobby Drifter

I think its a cost/time issue since the license is due to expire soon. Redesigning a separate box art for both items wouldve required more time to go through the process. It seems like they just wanted to get the items released quickly.
I don't even know why I'm annoyed by the box thing. I don't display boxes. They just sit in a closet. But, I dunno, it's probably some OCD thing.

I do appreciate that both Dragon Ceasar and King Brachion were so affordable, and I'm guessing the packaging played a part in that. I think I wound up paying something like 65,000 yen for the whole set. If the boxes and instructions were even partially responsible for that number not being higher, I guess it's worth it.

And the Daizyujin box was *perfect*, so there's that.
Old February 17th, 2019, 08:54 PM #887
> JohnnyX
Just A Friend

JohnnyX
Just A Friend

so no motor?
JohnnyX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 09:04 PM #888
> Professor Smooth
Hobby Drifter

Professor Smooth
Hobby Drifter

JohnnyX wrote: View Post

so no motor?
Hahahaha. No.

But seriously, though. The combined mode weighs like 10 pounds. Youíd need a pretty strong motor to get that SOB moving.
Old February 17th, 2019, 09:39 PM #889
> Bouken Red
Power Ranger

Bouken Red
Power Ranger

Awwww ok, I didn't know that.
Bouken Red is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 09:59 PM #890
> Stuntastik30
VIP Rider

Stuntastik30
VIP Rider

Another thing that most likely helped keep the cost down on SOC Titanus is the fact that it is a retooled Legacy mold. So not much needed to be done, but the slight improvements are a nice touch and technically only about $50 more than the Legacyís original MSRP.
Stuntastik30 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 10:51 PM #891
> Zapdos560
Gokai Change, ZAPDOS!

Zapdos560
Gokai Change, ZAPDOS!

The re-release of Daizyujin actually matches Dragonzord and Titanus, with the Japanese style box, but the english MEGAZORD under it.
Zapdos560 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 11:49 PM #892
> Stuntastik30
VIP Rider

Stuntastik30
VIP Rider

Do you have a picture?

Nevermind I found a picture of the reissue updated box art.

Last edited by Stuntastik30; February 18th, 2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old February 18th, 2019, 12:49 AM #893
> Tyrannozord27
Power Ranger

Tyrannozord27
Power Ranger

Stuntastik30 wrote: View Post

Do you have a picture?

Nevermind I found a picture of the reissue updated box art.

https://i.imgur.com/A5OoVWg.jpg

does this mean the original American box will become collectible?
Old February 18th, 2019, 01:03 AM #894
> Stuntastik30
VIP Rider

Stuntastik30
VIP Rider

Lol, I guess so. But a lot of people prefer symmetry with their boxes so itís a good change if you didnít get it when it first released.

You ask yourself if you should have waited, but you canít predict these type of things.

Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old February 18th, 2019, 01:19 AM #895
> Tyrannozord27
Power Ranger

Tyrannozord27
Power Ranger

Old February 19th, 2019, 12:40 AM #896
> Stuntastik30
VIP Rider

Stuntastik30
VIP Rider

If anybody has the reissued Megazord could you see if anything was updated on it? Specifically the arm joints. Iím wondering if they updated the joints to better support titanus?

Last edited by Stuntastik30; February 19th, 2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 11:42 PM #897
> Tyrannozord27
Power Ranger

Tyrannozord27
Power Ranger

Guys, this guy is a BEAST! Looks flawless what can I say? Am thrilled to complete the SOC Ultrazord. I will say, I am dissapointed in one thing: the paws. When you connect King Brachion's paws to Daizyujin, they are not a solid lock. This means that they slide off rather easily. It tooks me a LONG time to discover that you need to keep the mastodon legs (to which the clips attach) straight and close to the body otherwise the paws will fall off.

Also, Daizyujin's arm ratchets are not strong enough to hold the weight of paws straight up. I had to lean the paws slightly on Dragon Caesar's feet to give it extra support. I must say it was frustrating to get the paws to stay up. Other than that I am very happy with the King.

@Professor Smooth

I caught your video review and really like your approach

Did you have trouble adjusting the Brachion gloves on Daizyujin? It looks like the inside glove clips do not actually snap on, but it's merely a friction hold that goes loose once you slightly move the mastodon foot. Its like the contours of the paw which match the mastodon contours like a puzzle and hold it together but the clip doesnt actually lock the piece in place. I compared it to the legacy Titanus paw and it would appear that BOJ didnt even change the clip size and placement. I assume that its because an actual grip would damage the paint but this leaves the paws with not real lock in place and slide off rather easily

Last edited by Tyrannozord27; February 19th, 2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old February 20th, 2019, 07:35 PM #898
> DragonCaesar
Legacy Forever

eBay
DragonCaesar
Legacy Forever

eBay

Ugh...

These reviews are scary. I wanted this toy to be a succes but these Ultrazord problems are killin me.
DragonCaesar is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 08:56 PM #899
> Tyrannozord27
Power Ranger

Tyrannozord27
Power Ranger

DragonCaesar wrote: View Post

Ugh...

These reviews are scary. I wanted this toy to be a succes but these Ultrazord problems are killin me.
It really pains me to say it because I love the SOC with all its flaws, but the final Ultrazord transformation left me with a notable sour taste. I love King Brachion and dont regret the purchase, but being accustomed to a smooth, transformation process from the SOC line I felt this release was lacking. The fact they didnt include specific paw clips for SOC megazord was telling. Part of the selling point in the SOC line is the feeling of solidity, and I got less of that with this toy. Dont get me wrong, there are other parts on the gx-85 that feel solid, but the paws seem like a major point of challenge that was not addressed properly. Oh well, I am grateful nonetheless for having the chance to complete the ultrazord after so many years. Its a beautiful representation of Titanus.
Old February 20th, 2019, 09:09 PM #900
> andr0s81
100% Grade "A" Final Boss

4 eBay
andr0s81
100% Grade "A" Final Boss

4 eBay

Yeah I got him a few hours ago and Iím not really impressed. Thereís too much diecast, and the Ultrazord combination is not fun. I feel like the Legacy version makes a better Ultrazord whereas these make better individual pieces.
andr0s81 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote