Old June 11th, 2014, 12:01 PM #221
> evilstarlegacy
Power Ranger

evilstarlegacy
Power Ranger

For all intent and purposes, Liu should be considered dead. I don't personally find anything shocking in ressucitating a dead character for no reason just to make him a villain. It's a pretty cheap ploy as far as I'm concerned. Also, humanity being affected by a brutal Liu's god powers would just be a rehash of Dark Raiden who now wanted to protect earth at all costs, even against humans if necessary, and who ended up making a deal with the bad guys in Armageddon. It's the same idea, it's nothing new and it's definitely not shocking.

Who survived MK2011? What if Baraka and Mileena teamed up together as the new evil masterminds now that Shao Kahn isn't there to push them around?
evilstarlegacy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 12:15 PM #222
> Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

He's already been a zombie, so I wouldn't put milking a god out of him off Boon's radar. If they want to prolong a character they'll do it by any means necessary.

Historically, they've never brought side characters to the forefront. The closest have been the Deadly Alliance, and they were already the iconic evil sorcerers. Mileena and Baraka don't have near the impact that they do to become the main villains, not like Raiden or Liu.

Onaga, a new character, was brought to life by engineering the story of an existing character, Reptile. Using Baraka and Mileena this way might be feasible, but the Tarkatans aren't exactly a powerful group. I suspect that Kotal is the response to Shao being toppled for good, a new character who would unite the Outworld factions splintered by Shao's death.

I've often wondered if "Kahn" isn't a name but a title, like Genghis and Kublai Khan. One member of Shao's race becomes the Kahn after some trial. Now that he's gone, another Kahn who won that title is their new champion, vying to take the Outworld throne before other races get it. Kotal doesn't have the savage brutal appearance of Shao, so he may be a good Kahn who will ally with the heroes against the new enemy.
Merlin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 12:37 PM #223
> evilstarlegacy
Power Ranger

evilstarlegacy
Power Ranger

But maybe it's time for a change, don't you think? I would rather see a side character be reinvented as a powerful villain than something as predictable as Raiden or Liu Kang becoming evil.

What about the Tekunin? Sketor is still alive, he could have used the Grand Master's medallion to power himself up and create his armor of robots, turning earthrealm into a wasteland and now settings sights on Outworld.
Old June 11th, 2014, 03:33 PM #224
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

evilstarlegacy wrote: View Post

For all intent and purposes, Liu should be considered dead. I don't personally find anything shocking in ressucitating a dead character for no reason just to make him a villain. It's a pretty cheap ploy as far as I'm concerned. Also, humanity being affected by a brutal Liu's god powers would just be a rehash of Dark Raiden who now wanted to protect earth at all costs, even against humans if necessary, and who ended up making a deal with the bad guys in Armageddon. It's the same idea, it's nothing new and it's definitely not shocking.

Who survived MK2011? What if Baraka and Mileena teamed up together as the new evil masterminds now that Shao Kahn isn't there to push them around?
To be fair its not really going to be shocking at all. So many theories of who it will be and people won't be surprised. They might be pissed and think its a bad move or they might love it. I think Krispy Kang needs to be in the game he is fucking Liu Kang after all. He could be a nether realm fighter.
christopherjohn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 04:34 PM #225
> GOUKI
Power Ranger

GOUKI
Power Ranger

christopherjohn wrote: View Post

To be fair its not really going to be shocking at all. So many theories of who it will be and people won't be surprised. They might be pissed and think its a bad move or they might love it. I think Krispy Kang needs to be in the game he is fucking Liu Kang after all. He could be a nether realm fighter.
If they revive him, I doubt he'll be "krispy" as you call him. He'll probably be his normal self...but possibly Evil.
GOUKI is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 04:39 PM #226
> Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

GOUKI wrote: View Post

If they revive him, I doubt he'll be "krispy" as you call him. He'll probably be his normal self...but possibly Evil.
That last time Liu was brought back from the dead, he wasn't all that normal.

Mr Tuesday II is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 04:47 PM #227
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

GOUKI wrote: View Post

Krispy Kang is more or less having the burn scars from when Raiden shocked his ass to death. Like I said if Liu returns he's dead this takes place after his death so a nether realm warrior is very possible look at Scorpion. He could have his normal form or he could have the scars it doesn't matter I just want him in the game good or evil. What I think would actually be cool is if Liu has his normal form but its an illusion and he reverts to the Krispy Kang when he loses his temper. I would like him to be a bad guy simply going after Raiden for revenge.
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:20 PM #228
> KCJ506
I'm a man of my word

KCJ506
I'm a man of my word

NRS stated that they wanted to introduce new characters and not simply make a next gen MK9. Is that a good idea though? Surely they must know how anal and fussy fighting game fans get whenever a series tries to do the whole new generation of fighters.

Last edited by KCJ506; June 11th, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
KCJ506 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:33 PM #229
> mythranger
Feed me MORE!

mythranger
Feed me MORE!

Mortal Kombat X gameplay at E3 with Cassie Cage and DíVorah, who is a victim of a rather sweet Cassie Cage fatality.
mythranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:46 PM #230
> nintenfan3424
Making Strong Look Reigns

nintenfan3424
Making Strong Look Reigns

LOL that fatality, That is just brutally cute
nintenfan3424 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 07:24 PM #231
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

KCJ506 wrote: View Post

NRS stated that they wanted to introduce new characters and not simply make a next gen MK9. Is that a good idea though? Surely they must know how anal and fussy fighting game fans get whenever a series tries to do the whole new generation of fighters.
Its not all new characters though its a transition. Scorpion, Subzero and Liu Kang are Mortal Kombat. So that is why I suspect Krispy Kang will be in this game. He's at least making a cameo when they go through the backstory leading up to the start of this game.
Old June 12th, 2014, 01:04 AM #232
> Claymore
Angemon!

Claymore
Angemon!

mythranger wrote: View Post

Mortal Kombat X gameplay at E3 with Cassie Cage and DíVorah, who is a victim of a rather sweet Cassie Cage fatality.
I'm loving all the environment-interaction, and the fatality is great, but there just seems to be a distinct lack of a counter mechanism (as in the teaser) to make the fights feel really fluid.
Claymore is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 04:32 AM #233
> GOUKI
Power Ranger

GOUKI
Power Ranger

Mr Tuesday II wrote: View Post

That last time Liu was brought back from the dead, he wasn't all that normal.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...liu_versus.png
Raiden took his dead body and reanimated it. Liu Kang was not even in control of his body...nor IN his body for that matter.

Liu was a spirit.

christopherjohn wrote: View Post

Krispy Kang is more or less having the burn scars from when Raiden shocked his ass to death. Like I said if Liu returns he's dead this takes place after his death so a nether realm warrior is very possible look at Scorpion. He could have his normal form or he could have the scars it doesn't matter I just want him in the game good or evil. What I think would actually be cool is if Liu has his normal form but its an illusion and he reverts to the Krispy Kang when he loses his temper. I would like him to be a bad guy simply going after Raiden for revenge.
If they bring him back to life; soul and all, he may not look like that when he comes back because he is not like Kabal or something, where he'll stay looking that way; all burnt and stuff.

He'll probably have a new body(maybe much more powerful if he is revealed as the Big Bad of MKX).
Old June 12th, 2014, 04:52 AM #234
> Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

In the X timeline both Liu's body and soul are safely in the hands of Good Raiden and the gods, what we've seen anyway. If he's resurrected there's likely no more need for zombie mode or scars or anything; he'd be whole.

Traditionally, we also need a giant monster sub-boss. If God Kang is the boss, and he's not evil but uncontrolled, who would be under him? A giant creature created by the gods? I'd rather not have another Shokan or one of the older characters brainwashed to serve him.
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:39 AM #235
> evilstarlegacy
Power Ranger

evilstarlegacy
Power Ranger

KCJ506 wrote: View Post

That's the problem with fighting games. You want to make the story move forward and kill characters and introduce new ones, but if you do too much of that you alienate the hardcore tournament crowd.
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:12 AM #236
> GOUKI
Power Ranger

GOUKI
Power Ranger

Merlin wrote: View Post

In the X timeline both Liu's body and soul are safely in the hands of Good Raiden and the gods, what we've seen anyway. If he's resurrected there's likely no more need for zombie mode or scars or anything; he'd be whole.

Traditionally, we also need a giant monster sub-boss. If God Kang is the boss, and he's not evil but uncontrolled, who would be under him? A giant creature created by the gods? I'd rather not have another Shokan or one of the older characters brainwashed to serve him.
Well I dont know about his soul being in good hands...
He wasnt with the rest of the dead warriors in NR because he wasnt dead yet. But after he died, there is no telling what happened to his soul. It could have been part of the bargin Raiden made. idk.

If so, I can see something happening with it down there and making him evil.
If it went to the heavens, I dont see how he can be the Big Bad, but then, he may not be the big bad...but then who IS??
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:25 AM #237
> Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

Again, it's about making him out of control. Out of control isn't evil but it's indiscriminate, which makes it as dangerous to good people as evil is. If he goes to Heaven, he could be made a god, and a human being made a god has never been done except in fake endings, not the official story.

Sub-Zero became a false "ice god" without the Elders Gods' consent and they send champions to destroy him. Sheeva becomes a goddess of destruction. Everything seems to lean towards the writers' belief that humans who become gods aren't meant to be.

But what happens if the champion of Mortal Kombat is made a god, with the Elders' consent? We don't know yet that Liu forgives Raiden for killing him. His ending can still come to pass where he becomes a person who has to be fought and destroyed. That's what makes him an End Boss. Why would you have to fight someone who had your good interests at stake? As a god, he could be a threat to everyone, and that means he may not be evil-minded, but he'll kill you if you resist him. That's what makes him out of control.

It is Dark Raiden rehashed, but it's the last person heroes would want it to happen to, which makes it much more tragic than Dark Raiden, who has been a god forever.
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:53 AM #238
> evilstarlegacy
Power Ranger

evilstarlegacy
Power Ranger

The only problem I have with this is this is that there's no reason for Liu Kang to be out of control and crazy with powers. He has always been the level-minded hero of the series. He died trying to protect earth by stopping Raiden who had lost control of ths situation. If anything, the Elder Gods would save his soul to make him a protector god after seeings he'd be ready to put himself in harm's way to stop a god that no longer has any grasp on the situation and made many people die.

That would be something interesting to see, no? Liu Kang as earth's new protector god leading a group of warriors, which includes a now fallen mortal Raiden.
Old June 12th, 2014, 09:11 AM #239
> Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

I'd want this if only to limit Raiden's involvement for the next gen games. Mortal Raiden would be a great last hurrah, to remove him completely or reduce him to a story element for the next few titles. If they did it for Liu in Deadly Alliance, they can do it for Raiden. I definitely want someone else to be the token god now.

But I'd strongly prefer Fujin over Liu, if only to give him a chance for having far less involvement of any god in the series. Liu already has a long legacy but Fujin's got barely anything. Assuming X does follow the last part of 9, and Shinnok is a major foe, Mk4 was when Fujin proved himself worthy of beoming Earth's new protectorm so he can be given the chance here. Making Liu into the new god really makes it feel like an excuse to keep him in the series because they can't do much more with him that's not rehashing old stuff.
Old June 12th, 2014, 10:09 AM #240
> Claymore
Angemon!

Claymore
Angemon!

I really love the conversation going on here by the way. The mythology and story is what I love most about this series, and hearing the different suggestions here is awesome.

evilstarlegacy wrote: View Post

That would be something interesting to see, no? Liu Kang as earth's new protector god leading a group of warriors, which includes a now fallen mortal Raiden.
Liu becoming a god doesn't really sit well with me for some reason. I would like to see him more as a wandering soul, still on the side of good, but setting things right on his own - no longer wanting to be led by anyone.

Though I love Raiden, I do love the idea of Fujin stepping up to be the god figure within this.
Claymore is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote