Home Menu

Menu

Old February 17th, 2019, 06:29 PM #2041
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

True, and as mentioned a few posts above the whole purification thing actually started all the way back in Futari Wa (though I think it was only used like twice in the entire show).
Akiba Black is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 06:38 PM #2042
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

Futari Wa had distinct (though underused) purification powers, like Sailor Moon. Subsequent series made it the norm, to the point where most of them wouldn't pass the Episode 67 test*.

*In the oft-maligned Episode 67 of Sailor Moon, which has no enemy or monster presence (just dinosaurs), said titular character saves the day by blowing away a rockslide with her main attack. I use it as a sort of "general applicability standard" for magical girls.
cognito29 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 07:13 PM #2043
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Not all of them had purification powers unless I'm forgetting something (for example I don't think Yes 5, Go Princess, or Maho Girls did) and generally pre-KiraKira the teams just flat out killed the MotW more often then not (some generals managed to survive their respective shows though and the Yes 5 team actually wound up forming a truce with Desperaia at the end even though she was probably destroyed anyway when her dimension collapsed).

But like you said, ultimately the threat is still neutralized at the end regardless of the methods used so conceptually speaking it doesn't really matter much.
Old February 17th, 2019, 07:24 PM #2044
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

Not all of them had purification powers unless I'm forgetting something (for example I don't think Yes 5, Go Princess, or Maho Girls did) and generally pre-KiraKira the teams just flat out killed the MotW more often then not
Perhaps I have fallen into assumptions a bit, but it certainly seeemed that way. As to whether it counts as "killing" when you turn a Negatone back into a note or a Desetrian into a Heart Flower - well, that's a bit above my philosophical pay grade.

But I'm pretty sure that most of the flashy finishers used for that purpose couldn't have saved those dinosaurs from that rockslide! (Of course, many Cures could just have punched through it.)
Old February 17th, 2019, 07:51 PM #2045
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Most of them probably could as super strength generally seems to come with the costume by default. And true, sometimes offensive based attacks still wind up purifying the enemy as a result, it all kind of depends on the situation really.
Old February 17th, 2019, 07:55 PM #2046
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

They just feel a bit less like they're made just for the one kind of formula if their powers have broad applicability. It's one of the ways Precure falls behind Sailor Moon (although it's ahead in other ways).
Old February 18th, 2019, 04:55 AM #2047
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

On another note, just how much do the general public know about the Precure in-universe? It seems to vary from season to season but more often than not if people not in the know talk about them at all they're usually just either rumors or local heroes (in fact despite being seen by fewer people the Sailor Scouts seem to be more well known in their particular universe what with there being toys made of them and the whole Sailor V craze that fizzled out after a while).

A few teams did publicly reveal their identities towards the end of the season (Fresh, Go Princess, Megumi from Happiness Charge, and the town seemed to just piece together the identity of the Hugtto girls by the end. Don't remember if there were any more though) and occasionally some individuals just figured it out on their own (Honoka's grandmother for example). They appear to be a bit more well known in the All Stars movies which seem to take place in a shared universe where most of the events of the various seasons happened but somehow barely any time passed between them (otherwise most of the early Cures should be in their late 20's/early 30's by now), Hugtto seems to take place in this same universe given the second in-series crossover.

Not sure how this would work but I'd kind of like to see a season that just ditched the secret identity aspect entirely (since as in most shows like this their enemies usually know exactly who they are and at times even where they live) and showed how the girls dealt with everyday life on top of being local celebrities.
Old February 18th, 2019, 05:45 AM #2048
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

It seems to vary based on season - I believe both Yes! and HaCha had notable reporter characters. Of course in the latter case secrecy was hardly feasible, given the openness and scale of the conflict...

(One thing to note is the popularity of world-scale disaster finales - even if people didn't know much before...)

As for the All-Stars thing, I presume you're thinking of the first New Stage? The other ones didn't really focus on the general public. And it would be nice to see them grow up a bit, especially since pretty much every series seems to end on that nowadays.

Regarding open identities, that's kind of what we got at the end of
DokiDoki
, although we didn't get to fully explore it. I don't know if it would work for a full season, given that magical girl stuff is usually big on ordinary life/magical life contrast - I thought they might go for it on the Magic World side in Mahou, but I admit that Riko's justification for not doing so was pretty amusing.
Old February 18th, 2019, 05:59 AM #2049
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Yeah, Riko not wanting to reveal themselves in Magic World simply because "it's embarrassing" was kind of funny.

Maybe they should make Returns specials for Precure like they do for some Sentai and Rider seasons. It might be cool to see what some of the older teams have been up to post-series (especially the ones who did have their identities revealed at the end of the season).

Last edited by Akiba Black; February 18th, 2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old February 18th, 2019, 05:59 AM #2050
> Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !

Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !

So by your conversation then not all cures purify their opponent ? Since I watch the show so since Suit Precure I always thought they add only some sort of purification power !?
Otokusastu Zetto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 06:09 AM #2051
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

Pretty much all the ones I've seen since Splash Star do - although if they then turn back into an inanimate object, the line between that and death is kind of fuzzy.
Old February 18th, 2019, 10:04 AM #2052
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

It's tough to say when it's purification and when it's downright destruction. Even in Futari, we did have the Cures defeat MotW but even the inanimate object ones still "existed" even after the monster was beaten up, it was just that sometimes there were signs to show there was a battle (one of the jokes in the first episode of Futari was that they beat a giant vacuum cleaner and it still existed, but the vacuum cleaner had indentations that showed that the two did fight it).

Splash Star made a big deal about purification because the Uzaina were basically a combination of corroded spirits from the Land of Fountains with a Miracle Drop for a core and a body based on the element of the Dark Fall general. Purification is more a key where the victims-of-the-week exist and are tied to the MotW created (see Heartcatch or DokiDoki) or where something is required that ends up being needed to be purified due to a corrosion (Suite's Notes, which work like the Spirits in Splash Star) In many other seasons, it's more like a parasite that takes over an object and removing said parasite for it to be returned to normal; you could still say the Cures "kill" the parasite but it's tough to say since the object tends to return to normal, just without whatever the villains put inside it.
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 11:11 AM #2053
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

There are also a few indications of attacks' "harmlessness", like the time Cure Blossom purified a Desertrian Cure Marine was inside at the time with no negative effects.
Old February 18th, 2019, 12:15 PM #2054
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

It's happened to main villains as well throughout the series (the Dark Fall generals were more or less all just objects enchanted by magic, Lock was a fairy from the Hope Kingdom, almost the entire Criasu Corporation wound up siding with the Precure by the end of Hugtto, etc). More often than not main villains are usually killed though.

On the topic of secret identities the Futari girls once transformed in front of the entire school (plus their families and friends) but for some reason everyone just assumed it was all part of an unusually high budget middle school play.

It's probably not going to happen any time soon but it would be nice if they aged up some of the older Cures in future crossovers (the last 3 seasons ended on timeskips showing the girls as adults after all), if only because later down the line you're probably going to run into an issue of the actresses sounding too old for their characters).

It also might be interesting to see how the teams that did have their identities revealed at the end dealt with life afterwards.
Old February 18th, 2019, 12:31 PM #2055
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

It's probably not going to happen any time soon but it would be nice if they aged up some of the older Cures in future crossovers (the last 3 seasons ended on timeskips showing the girls as adults after all), if only because later down the line you're probably going to run into an issue of the actresses sounding too old for their characters).

It also might be interesting to see how the teams that did have their identities revealed at the end dealt with life afterwards.
I think the counts up to four seasons now. And a DokiDoki sequel might make for a neat (mini)series. Maybe set a couple of decades down the line with Prime Minister Mana called back to action? (Nah, too fan-ficcy.)
Old February 18th, 2019, 12:39 PM #2056
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Like I've said before, they should start doing Returns/10 Years After specials for Precure like they do with some Sentai shows. There's a few teams I'd like to see back in the spotlight for a bit at least.

Hell, do a Splash Star and/or DokiDoki sequel and use it as an opportunity to finally make Regina and the Kiryuu sisters into proper Cures.

Last edited by Akiba Black; February 18th, 2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old February 18th, 2019, 12:44 PM #2057
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

The problem is that All Stars keeps even the older teams in the spotlight - there isn't much room for them to fade into memory. (And also, it's the constrained identity thing - Precure ARE schoolgirls, and I think Toei is averse to the idea of showing them as adults. So you'll never see anything like Hero Mama League...)
Old February 18th, 2019, 12:57 PM #2058
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Fair, though like I said they've basically done just that at the end of the past three seasons even if said timeskips are probably never going to come up again. Also they have been slimming the All Stars films down a bit lately (now it's usually just the most recent 3 teams).

Like with Sentai, you can't really lump the various seasons into a single cohesive timeline (even saying that some seasons happened at the same time in different towns or at best a few days/weeks/months apart from each other is somewhat problematic). So the fact that every main Cure remains perpetually the same age is probably something it's best just not to think about.
Old February 18th, 2019, 01:04 PM #2059
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

Yeah -though it would still have been neat if it had been grown-up Nagisa and Honoka who had appeared in Hugtto, to reinforce the series' theme. They could have even brought their own babies to play with Hugtan...
Old February 18th, 2019, 01:04 PM #2060
> MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master

MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master

So are the Princesses going to become side characters?
MutekiDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
sentai with cupcakes