Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2019, 11:30 PM #2401
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 82,427
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 82,427



Titanium321 wrote: View Post

I believe, like almost all the "most hated" seasons in the past, eventually this will get a resurgence of popularity in a "it wasn't that bad" second viewing that is really just people after enough time realizing it was mediocre and that doesn't make something awful. Turbo got it, Lightspeed got it, Wild Force got it, it'll happen.
Wild Force wasn't mediocre, though.

It's probably one of the least formulaic seasons ever made.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 11:33 PM #2402
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,383
Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,383



But when you remember how Time Force was received, and factor in all the ways WF feels less than TF, it's easy to see why it was maligned.

The episode-to-episode writing was weaker. The direction and acting was weaker. The original story was weaker.
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 01:43 AM #2403
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,559
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,559



Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

The episode-to-episode writing was weaker. The direction and acting was weaker. The original story was weaker.
I was about to say, "better villains", but both Ransik and Master Org's stories were some of the best villain stories the franchise has ever had.

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

It may surprise you to hear but a lot of people change their tastes over the years.
Does it surprise you to hear a lot of people don't?

No, but I'm curious about time changing quality. I mean, if I was being cynical, I'd say that it's a fabulously passive-aggressive intellectual exercise of devaluing other people's critiques, suggesting that the passing years will change what actually transpired on the show and thusly negate the parts that left such a horrid taste in people's mouths by retroactively suggesting they didn't even happen in the first place ... but I'd never be that cynical, would I?

How many years will pass before the Dino Charge Rangers have no longer committed planetary genocide?
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 03:44 AM #2404
big smile's Avatar
> big smile
VIP Rider
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,424
big smile
VIP Rider
big smile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,424



Turbo, Lightspeed & Wildforce were hated back in the day. But that's only because Zeo, LG and TF really pushed the envelope and took the franchise in new directions. Turbo, Lightspeed & Wildforce felt like they weren't trying because they were just playing it safe and not pushing the franchise forwards.

Back in those days, Turbo, Lightspeed & Wildforce were the "worst" seasons, but that's only because we were spoiled and didn't have truly worst seasons to base our judgements on.

It's not that the fanbase suddenly went from hating Turbo, Lightspeed & Wildforce to liking them. It's just that the franchise's standards lowered, so it no longer mattered that Turbo, Lightspeed & Wildforce were playing it safe and not pushing the franchise in new directions. Suddenly a safe season was actually an okay thing.

Plus, with Turbo, Lightspeed & Wildforce, although people were disappointed, I remember people still loving elements such as the Titanium Ranger or the Silver Ranger arc in Wlidforce. I've never seen anyone loving anything in Ninja Steel.

The only way I could see Ninja Steel being liked in the future is if we have several seasons that manage to be worse.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 04:32 AM #2405
Akumaru's Avatar
> Akumaru
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,333
Akumaru
Power Ranger
Akumaru's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,333



^ Most of the Narrative were "worst" because they were really playing for save, consider the seasons before Turbo,LightSpeed and Wild Force worked, and they decided to play in save ground instead of Push the Franchise futher.

For Ninja Steel well the elements of a Game Show is a interesthung dynamic for the season, but honest they really should had explored that more is basic use the Zyougher concept of the Blood Game.
Akumaru is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 06:38 AM #2406
Lordoftherangers's Avatar
> Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,971
Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger
Lordoftherangers's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,971



Titanium321 wrote: View Post

The licensing sheet puts PR as the in between range after preschool but before older licenses like TF and Marvel. Because Hasbro didn't have a franchise to fill that space between it's preschool stuff and it's older aimed stuff, Power Rangers has survived by being that brand for the last decade and a half.
Honestly I don't see what seperates seperates TF from Power Rangers. To me they're both in the same realm of nostalgic 80's-90's boys properties. The only reason why Transformers is seen as a more "big boy" brand is because of the movies. For some weird reason the 2017 movie wasn't successful but Hasbro plans on making a new movie so if that is successful and we keep on getting more and more sequels that could very well elevate the franchise to an older level.

Last edited by Lordoftherangers; June 18th, 2019 at 06:52 AM.
Lordoftherangers is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 07:32 AM #2407
Akumaru's Avatar
> Akumaru
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,333
Akumaru
Power Ranger
Akumaru's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,333



Peter wrote: View Post

I was about to say, "better villains", but both Ransik and Master Org's stories were some of the best villain stories the franchise has ever had.
Ransik and MasterOrg really had some the best storylines in there seasons and the seasons itself deal with mature ideias, I had to say the MasterOrg was really amazing in every aspect, because in general in PR we had deal more the Space Villans, was nice to see a Human Villan which becames The MastrOrg/Dr.Adler, because I think since "The Master Herald" Arc was the Dr.Adler/MasterOrg was completed consumed be MasterOrg.

Ransik be a outcast from the socieaty which dont accepted well the imperfection, and basic he saw the Humans hate and he becames to hate, and is story with Frax was really interesthing.

Does it surprise you to hear a lot of people don't?

No, but I'm curious about time changing quality. I mean, if I was being cynical, I'd say that it's a fabulously passive-aggressive intellectual exercise of devaluing other people's critiques, suggesting that the passing years will change what actually transpired on the show and thusly negate the parts that left such a horrid taste in people's mouths by retroactively suggesting they didn't even happen in the first place ... but I'd never be that cynical, would I?

How many years will pass before the Dino Charge Rangers have no longer committed planetary genocide?
For the season finale i think the Audiece dont liked of that Finale for Power Rangers, that is just a ideia i saw during the reviews of the episode, but i think even season finale is almost similar to the Premiere they just had the few elements which we saw Sledge died two times, for i can notace, and The Dino Charge Rangers just sacrifice one planet to change the history.

The Power Rangers use the Dinos Gems, with the all Deux Ex Machine, because seems to me, they almost used the plot of TMNT Timetravel but just in one episode, and well in fact in Dino Charge I wish they had explored more Lord Archaron because Heckyl/Snide should had been more like Mercer/Mesegog
Akumaru is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 08:52 AM #2408
SakuraRanger's Avatar
> SakuraRanger
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
SakuraRanger
Power Ranger
SakuraRanger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79



sylarking wrote: View Post

Because it sucked
That is not the case. The TMNT 2014 movie was horrible and it was “successful” , but it sucked! The 2017 movie had a poor marketing and advertising campaign, and the final result was a bad reception (overseas marketing was even worse).
SakuraRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 08:53 AM #2409
Storm Eagle's Avatar
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,573
Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru
Storm Eagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,573



sylarking wrote: View Post

Because it sucked
I tend to think it's because it has "Power Rangers" in the title. That's why I don't think Hasbro's planned version will do any better. Power Rangers probably doesn't belong on the big screen anymore.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old June 18th, 2019, 08:55 AM #2410
mmprfan09's Avatar
> mmprfan09
One In A Million
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,618
mmprfan09
One In A Million
mmprfan09's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,618



big smile wrote: View Post

Turbo, Lightspeed & Wildforce were hated back in the day. But that's only because Zeo, LG and TF really pushed the envelope and took the franchise in new directions. Turbo, Lightspeed & Wildforce felt like they weren't trying because they were just playing it safe and not pushing the franchise forwards.

Back in those days, Turbo, Lightspeed & Wildforce were the "worst" seasons, but that's only because we were spoiled and didn't have truly worst seasons to base our judgements on.

It's not that the fanbase suddenly went from hating Turbo, Lightspeed & Wildforce to liking them. It's just that the franchise's standards lowered, so it no longer mattered that Turbo, Lightspeed & Wildforce were playing it safe and not pushing the franchise in new directions. Suddenly a safe season was actually an okay thing.

Plus, with Turbo, Lightspeed & Wildforce, although people were disappointed, I remember people still loving elements such as the Titanium Ranger or the Silver Ranger arc in Wlidforce. I've never seen anyone loving anything in Ninja Steel.

The only way I could see Ninja Steel being liked in the future is if we have several seasons that manage to be worse.
Wild force cant be bad with arcs like zen aku and master org’s backstory. And lightspeed played it safe? But its the First season with public identities? Turbo was a far more enjoyable season than Zeo. I honestly think Zeo is one of the most overrated seasons. Its pretty much mmpr season 2 all over again with the Tommy worship and with weaker villains. Turbo might not have brought new things to the table, but it had alot more fun episodes, a stronger villain, and an actual proper finale. Come to think of it the only seasons I really find mediocre were OO, Megaforce, and Ninja Steel. The rest are just ok-Great.

Lordoftherangers wrote: View Post

Honestly I don't see what seperates seperates TF from Power Rangers. To me they're both in the same realm of nostalgic 80's-90's boys properties. The only reason why Transformers is seen as a more "big boy" brand is because of the movies. For some weird reason the 2017 movie wasn't successful but Hasbro plans on making a new movie so if that is successful and we keep on getting more and more sequels that could very well elevate the franchise to an older level.
Come on man, stevie wonder could see why that movie bombed. 2017 was the equivalent of dragonball evolution, that new sonic film, or any other shitty reboot that tries too hard to seperate from the source material.
sylarking wrote: View Post

Because it sucked
A power rangers movie with so little power rangers elements in it sucked? How? At least we got several scenes of the rangers complaining about how much their life sucked.... that counts for something.

Oh wait nvm. Even at the end of the movie their lives were still shitty. So 2017 couldnt even do that right.
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 08:58 AM #2411
Akumaru's Avatar
> Akumaru
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,333
Akumaru
Power Ranger
Akumaru's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,333



The Power Rangers Movie 2017 dont had much marketing and if i remember well at sometime we had the Gold Ranger debuts in Ninja Steel because we dont know maybe Saban Brands were more focus in the TV Show, but the movie was not sucked, i think it was the marketing and maybe the name to Power Rangers, if Hasbro makes a New Movie i suppose they want too keep the Brand Solid and continues with the seasons.
Akumaru is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 09:00 AM #2412
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,383
Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,383



Peter wrote: View Post

I was about to say, "better villains", but both Ransik and Master Org's stories were some of the best villain stories the franchise has ever had.
Master Org was cool and had dramatic scenes but it lacked the gravitas of Ransik. He never played off anyone like Ransik did Frax and Nadira. Vernon Wells has far more range.

Merrick is another simmilar case. On paper he has an awesome story. I wish the writing was stronger, the direction was better, and he had Dan Southworth's charisma.

Last edited by Zeo Cereal; June 18th, 2019 at 09:16 AM.
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 09:15 AM #2413
mmprfan09's Avatar
> mmprfan09
One In A Million
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,618
mmprfan09
One In A Million
mmprfan09's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,618



SakuraRanger wrote: View Post

That is not the case. The TMNT 2014 movie was horrible and it was “successful” , but it sucked! The 2017 movie had a poor marketing and advertising campaign, and the final result was a bad reception (overseas marketing was even worse).
Tmnt 2014 didnt forget that they still have to appeal to children in some way.

Pr 2017 was an anti toy film from a toy based franchise.
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 09:23 AM #2414
Trey-El's Avatar
> Trey-El
Krypton Ranger
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 576
Trey-El
Krypton Ranger
Trey-El's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 576



mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

A power rangers movie with so little power rangers elements in it sucked?
Teenagers, Power Coins, Zords, Megazord, Alpha, Zordon, Rita, "Goldar" (still not happy with what they did to him), and Putties.

What elements was it missing? Of the top of my head, maybe the rangers not being perfect? Idk

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

At least we got several scenes of the rangers complaining about how much their life sucked.... that counts for something.
So they can't complain about how bad life is? I get that there were several scenes (the campfire, Kim in Jason's house, Jason with his dad in the car, and.....three scenes. With "several" I thought there was going to be at least 7.

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

Oh wait nvm. Even at the end of the movie their lives were still shitty. So 2017 couldnt even do that right.
If the movie is set in a gounded/gritty way, then yeah, their lives are not going to be magically fixed. The movie was not going to fix their issues and its real. There are times where life sucks no matter what you do. Zach's mom isn't going to just get better because "heroes win!" if it's a serious medical issue, than odds are its not going to be fixed in 11 days (the timeline of the movie) and Trini is not going to magically going to fix her relationship with her family because it takes time and effort.

Jason is going to get put back in his football life, Billy will likely still get bullied for his autism eventually because people suck, and Kim isn't going to escape her leaking of her friend's pics until she graduates.

None of their issues were going to be magically fixed because they have powers and the movie made no attempt to fix them so yeah, their lives still suck and that's real life knocking at the door.
Trey-El is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 09:26 AM #2415
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,383
Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,383



Trey-El wrote: View Post

What elements was it missing? Of the top of my head, maybe the rangers not being perfect? Idk
The Rangers were never perfect, in any series. Nobody wants that.

Those elements you listed are disproportionately hidden in 2017. It's ashamed to have colour coded heroes. They put Billy in the suit for establishing purposes, but apart from that, we get about 4 minutes of morphed scenes. Most of that is open-visor in the cockpit.

The 1995 movie learned this lesson during reshoots. 2017 was still ashamed to be Power Rangers, and didn't know how to hide those elements.
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old June 18th, 2019, 09:27 AM #2416
wammyguide's Avatar
> wammyguide
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 446
wammyguide
Power Ranger
wammyguide's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 446



Lemme just point this out: typically when the next bad season comes around, the previous bad seasons get vindicated.

Ninja Steel is considered by many to be one of if not the worst season of the show, and yet I still don’t see anyone vindicating Megaforce. At best, there’ll be reactions like “at least Megaforce gave me a reaction”, but that’s really the best you’ll get.

Maybe this isn’t a shared opinion, but I consider Ninja Steel to basically be Megaforce 2.0; why? Because all of the problems Ninja Steel has were basically what Megaforce suffered from; bottom of the barrel acting, a non existent plot, emotionless meat puppets who could barely qualify as humans, too much nostalgia for Mighty Morphin, treating the audience like the biggest idiots on the planet, terrible “comedy”, any time a “plot arc” DOES happen it’s rushed, can’t shut up during fights, power ups that are given like candy, and anniversary specials that create quite a few continuity problems, as well as treating Tommy like the best thing since sliced bread, without even giving a reason beyond “he’s so powerful!”

Honestly, I can’t say anything for sure, but I can’t imagine both seasons are going to be vindicated, at least anytime soon, for all the problems mentioned above.
wammyguide is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 09:30 AM #2417
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,383
Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,383



wammyguide wrote: View Post

I still don’t see anyone vindicating Megaforce. At best, there’ll be reactions like “at least Megaforce gave me a reaction”, but that’s really the best you’ll get.
I could cite my own experience, but I'm seeing it elsewhere.
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 09:49 AM #2418
mmprfan09's Avatar
> mmprfan09
One In A Million
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,618
mmprfan09
One In A Million
mmprfan09's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,618



Trey-El wrote: View Post

Teenagers, Power Coins, Zords, Megazord, Alpha, Zordon, Rita, "Goldar" (still not happy with what they did to him), and Putties.

What elements was it missing? Of the top of my head, maybe the rangers not being perfect? Idk

]

So they can't complain about how bad life is? I get that there were several scenes (the campfire, Kim in Jason's house, Jason with his dad in the car, and.....three scenes. With "several" I thought there was going to be at least 7.



If the movie is set in a gounded/gritty way, then yeah, their lives are not going to be magically fixed. The movie was not going to fix their issues and its real. There are times where life sucks no matter what you do. Zach's mom isn't going to just get better because "heroes win!" if it's a serious medical issue, than odds are its not going to be fixed in 11 days (the timeline of the movie) and Trini is not going to magically going to fix her relationship with her family because it takes time and effort.

Jason is going to get put back in his football life, Billy will likely still get bullied for his autism eventually because people suck, and Kim isn't going to escape her leaking of her friend's pics until she graduates.

None of their issues were going to be magically fixed because they have powers and the movie made no attempt to fix them so yeah, their lives still suck and that's real life knocking at the door.
Teenagers that have no real redeeming qualities and are all assholes and miserable. Ugly ass power coins that you can barely see the animal with, combined with an ugly ass morpher that no kid would want to play with and adults need to customize the hell out of. A morpher that wasnt even used in the film and no morphing sequence.. Zords that are fused with bugs and have no combination sequence or finisher. And all that color from the series? I guess Dean had a fetish for 50 shades of gray. That aint power rangers. I dont like how the putties were utilized, goldar was straight up garbage but zordon and rita were fine and alpha was ok.


When we have more scenes of moping instead of kicking ass, I start to wonder if Im watching a superhero movie or watching an episode of degrassi. You counted all of those sappy scenes.. now how many suited scenes did we get in a 2 hour film?

Thats how movies work. You have a problem, and you solve it, or at least work towards solving said problem. Otherwise, all the extra complaining and moping makes it all pointless. 5 teens had issues... not even half the team resolved them. Its not the sole fact that their problems didnt get solved.. its the fact that they didnt get resolved and those are the main things that defines these characters. Like, Trini has nothing else going on for her besides that she may or may not be gay. Kimberly was a bully, and STILL was a bully by the end of the film. She learned nothing from her whole experience. But “character development!”

Last edited by mmprfan09; June 18th, 2019 at 09:59 AM.
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 09:52 AM #2419
big smile's Avatar
> big smile
VIP Rider
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,424
big smile
VIP Rider
big smile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,424



mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

Wild force cant be bad with arcs like zen aku and master org’s backstory. And lightspeed played it safe? But its the First season with public identities?
That's what people were unhappy about back in the day.
Lost Galaxy pushed the series forward with a mentorless team that was navigating the unknowns of space on a space colony. Back in the day, Lightspeed felt like a step back. Sure it had public identities, but that's not really an exciting storytelling set up.

This is just what people used to complain about back in the day. At the time, despite the complaints, people did praise LS too and now the good parts stand out more because we've had plenty of seasons that didn't push the envelope.

it's a different situation from NStl, which doesn't really have anything good.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 10:39 AM #2420
Sasori Orange's Avatar
> Sasori Orange
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 392
Sasori Orange
Power Ranger
Sasori Orange's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 392



I just can't decide who's the best ranger in Beast Morphers? (in terms of acting) Rorrie, Jackie and Abraham are definitely better than Jasmeet.
Sasori Orange is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:13 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.