Home Menu

Menu

View Poll Results: Yes, there's a holiday special, but this is the finale. So vote!
1 - Bad 19 19.19%
1 - Bad
19 19.19%
2 - Poor 18 18.18%
2 - Poor
18 18.18%
3 - Fair 26 26.26%
3 - Fair
26 26.26%
4 - Good 22 22.22%
4 - Good
22 22.22%
5 - Excellent 14 14.14%
5 - Excellent
14 14.14%
Votes: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11th, 2018, 07:58 AM #81
> SummerRose
Power Ranger

SummerRose
Power Ranger

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Sarah's fight scene was good. Zoe Reed is a national treasure. Dane achieved the title of worst dad and worst ninja/ranger in one whole episode. Vic and Monty are no Bulk and Skull. And that final fight scene made no sense at all.

This season was so lackluster and disappointing. With the Neo-Saban era officially done, I'm giving Chip and the writers one last chance to redeem themselves, but I'm not holding my breath. Hasbro, exceed my expectations, please!
SummerRose is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 08:02 AM #82
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

Madam Odious made a reference shw waited 200 years ago to had the Nexus Prysm I presume she mayb had joined to Galvanax later, and waited many time until achieved is goal
Akumaru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 02:07 PM #83
> Ninjasteel1987
Power Ranger

Ninjasteel1987
Power Ranger

What did you guys think of the music that played when the rangers powers returned to the prism?
Ninjasteel1987 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 03:03 PM #84
> PhantomRider44
Power Ranger

PhantomRider44
Power Ranger

whatever.. at least it's done
PhantomRider44 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 05:25 PM #85
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

Ninjasteel1987 wrote: View Post

What did you guys think of the music that played when the rangers powers returned to the prism?
Was....was there really anything of note to say about it? It sounded like any other piece of barely noticeable background music we've had for the past decade
BlueMystechRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 09:50 PM #86
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Okay. The last one. Let's just do this. Hell, I've already watched it once in French. The least I can do is make it through it again.

I love how the opening narration bounces from Odius's plot to enslave mankind to minor teenage relationship angst without skipping a beat, and keeping the same serious tone. Like, what?

We're five minutes in, and Preston's done his "state the obvious" thing twice already. I'm not going to miss this.

Sarah and Hayley sneak onboard the ship ... and conveniently, back on Earth, Redbot has already figured out the hows and whys of Odius's plan, and has a convenient and easy solution for the Rangers. Ninja Steel in a nutshell, really. I feel like, in a better season, this would be a tense and exciting episode ... and it should be. But in typical Neo Saban fashion, everything the Rangers do or accomplish is just given to them by the story, unearned.

Cosmo gives his prisoners live grenades? Really? Okay.

Sarah kicking the crap out of those basherbots was pretty cool.

Odius - "For a thousand years, this has been my goal!" Uh, Odius, I think you mean, for about fifteen seconds.

Geez Dane. You are the worst father ever. James Navarro was a deadbeat dad, sure, but he never actively tried to kill Tyler. Well, that we know of. Meanwhile, Brody is so overcome (over the thought of his father being brainwashed) that he almost had a genuine emotion over it. Whew, close call.

One laser blast and that was it? I suppose if they'd actually had Calvin and Hayley fighting, it would've had all sorts of domestic-violence subtext. But that was still a pretty piss-weak resolution to the problem.

I like to think that Cody was in the Astro-zord and was about ten seconds away from destroying the radar dish, but Hayley beat him to it.

Wait, they don't even beat Dane, the fight's interrupted when Hayley destroys the dish? But I mean, thank goodness. It looked like they were almost about to have another genuine emotion about it.

Actually Calvin, you should be apologising for not taking Hayley's acting ambitions seriously enough to call and let her know that ... you know what, who cares. The most dramatic thing that happened in two years was resolved in twelve minutes.

Major props to the badass citizens for kicking ass and taking names.

Monty shouldn't need to "figure out" the teleport thing because he and Victor have already escaped from the warrior dome once before, and, just, get on with it.

That was one awkward scene transition.

So Cosmo and Badonna died as they lived. Pointlessly.

The Rangers gain an arbitrary power-up and beat Odius just because the plot requires them to? That was unfathomably underwhelming. That was it? They didn't even summon any of the zords? I mean, sure, the Earth wasn't blown-up, but still.

And Victor gets his fiftieth trophy. He was the only person out of any of these characters who actually had a story-arc, and they still did a terrible job. Victor was a selfish unlikeable moron from episode 1, to episode 39. He didn't grow, or change, or develop, or learn his lesson, or anything in all that time. But the Rangers tell him to lead the hostages to safety, and suddenly everyone loves him ... and that's it, that's his character arc? We sat through forty episodes of their time-wasting nonsense for this? Damn it, Ninja Steel.

Wait, so we're still going with, "The Rangers lose their powers in the finale" trope? You know this makes it a far more complicated job to write the characters into the inevitable future team-up, right?

Well.

It's over.

That was profoundly underwhelming. Any stakes that had been set up in the past were easily dealt with and quickly solved with minimal fuss. Odius received an arbitrary power-up, and the Rangers killed her by hitting her with their swords, the end. Victor remained a totally pointless character, and Monty was even worse. Dane continues to be the world's worst ninja. Badonna and Cosmo remained useless, and that damn Space Magic Super Alien Ninja Crystal? I hope the thing was sucked through a jet engine on its way into the stratosphere.

It was a subpar end to a subpar season. And no Brody, it certainly wasn't epic.

If I ever see Victor and Monty again for the rest of my life, it'll be too soon.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 09:51 PM #87
> Ryoucchi
Power Ranger

Ryoucchi
Power Ranger

Lemme just say this.

Ninja Steel, while it is not offensively bad, doesn't feel genuinely like a season of Power Rangers in the slightest. It feels more like your generic teen romance sitcom that tries to take a jab at Power Rangers and fails in doing so

I guess that's what happens when you hire people who have never been in a kids action show before
Ryoucchi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old November 11th, 2018, 10:05 PM #88
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Ryoucchi wrote: View Post

Ninja Steel, while it is not offensively bad, doesn't feel genuinely like a season of Power Rangers in the slightest.
I agree that Ninja Steel -- mostly -- wasn't offensively bad, no.

But I'm not sure I agree with the second part of that.

Ninja Steel felt like a Power Rangers parody. It felt like what people who hate Power Rangers think the show is. RPM had moments of genuine drama, genuine emotion, genuine humour. Even Samurai had a sense of gravitas and stakes, and a finale that felt tense and exciting.

Ninja Steel's worst crime was that it was just ... dull. Unforgivably so.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old November 11th, 2018, 10:11 PM #89
> Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

So... lets cut the shit shall we? Let's go back to episode 1, the whole point of the Galaxy Warriors is to find people who are able to stick their hand in prism to pull out a star. Nobody was able to, only the Rangers. OK, so we know that it is sentient and not allowing unworthy hands into it maybe due to Dane being in it? No, because it still acts sentient after he leaves it. OK, we fast forward to the end of the season, stars are destroyed... because! Whatever, convenient Super Ninja Steel crashes into Odious' ship in pure happenstance. Is this thing rare or is it just barreling through space all over? They're making me think the latter. So Season 2 starts, The Rangers hide the prism... in an unguarded park. What. The. Fuck? Dane is such an asshole that he wouldn't let you keep it on his property? And they took it out of the base after the Christmas special because...?

So she tries to turn the prism "Evil" for some reason after she RESURRECTED it and the Prism just... lets it happen. And does not once try to fly away like it did at the start of the season. Nor did it try to fly away the entire 10 years it was stuck on that ship. Nor did Odious use her magical juju on the Prism while she had it restrained on that ship. Then when she finally gets the Prism again here, the prism literally makes no attempts of self preservation to GTFO. And then after they beat Odious after she was powered up due to the Prism's inaction... it takes the powers back and recoats itself in Ninja Steel and just flies the fuck away.

Say what you will about Gosei, but he was very clearly stuck to a god damn wall and couldn't really do much. This Prism doesn't even fucking talk and is easily the worst macguffin I have EVER seen in Power Rangers.

"We need to add your gold energy to the Prism!"

Do we? Do we really fucking gotta? Because the Gold Energy came from the Prism. What are we adding? WHAT WAS THE POINT OF ANY OF THIS!?
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 10:21 PM #90
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

The Nexus Prism bothered me, as a badly-written plot device, from day dot, as well.

Was it sentient (and certainly there were hints dropped that it was) until the plot required it not to be? Or was it just a dick?
Old November 11th, 2018, 10:41 PM #91
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

The Ninja Prism feels like something out of Megaforce.

Nothing about it was ever explained.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 10:56 PM #92
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

The Prism was just a lazy way for them to connect all of Nininnger's random things. They clearly didn't try to figure out a way to make coherent so just have it spit out whatever toy is being advertised. "Works with Gold energy" Why? Because it says so.
GokaiGold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 11:08 PM #93
> Champ
Lupin Red!

Champ
Lupin Red!

Xenotome wrote: View Post

Hmmm. Sounds like me. That is how I felt about Ninja Steel.
Champ is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 11:19 PM #94
> rb123
Corinth Ranger

rb123
Corinth Ranger

Wow, it feels like an eternity since Ninja Steel started! The movie hadn't come out, there were whispers of a reunion episode, and the very idea that Bandai, Saban, and ToysRUs wouldn't be a part of this franchise afterward couldn't have even been a passing thought. But here we are!

This was about on par with Ninja Steel; a bit low-stakes, but with a solid story. The pacing was rushed in spots, and the dialogue was very poor in my opinion, especially during scenes that should have been high points of the episode. I'm thinking specifically of the Calvin/Haylee encounter when she's hanging off the ship and he's about to "destroy" her. How about if he said something meaningful there, like, "We were never meant to be!" or "You don't really love me!" while he was brainwashed? He spouts the most generic lines imaginable and then it's all over so quickly. Same with the ground fight between Dane and the guys.

I liked Odius's more powerful form, but I'm a little bummed that there was no finale megazord battle. The ending made me smile, so that's definitely something. I liked this cast, and all the pieces were there for a good series of Power Rangers. Unfortunately, Ninja Steel didn't have strong plots or character development to go along with the creative ideas (like the Galaxy Warriors concept, which is severely underused).

My favorite bits involved Haylee and Sarah sneaking on board the ship and Sarah kicking serious ass against the Kudabots. And Victor finally gets his 50th trophy! Predicable, but at least it makes sense and it's a good ending for everyone's favorite comedy duo ever.

Ninja Steel gets a 2/5. Its finale gets a 3/5 for being better than average, good enough as an end to the series, and way way way WAY better than the Dino Charge finale.
rb123 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 12:09 AM #95
> zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

I haven't seen the episode, but at least in terms of how it's executed, as much as the idea really didn't make much sense in the context of the story, Dino Super Charge's finale before the black hole debacle actually was pretty good IMO (although a bit weird and cheesy with the mirror part) feeling the tension of what the Dark Energem may bring and the nearing demise of Earth's life.
zjranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 06:27 AM #96
> Ninjasteel1987
Power Ranger

Ninjasteel1987
Power Ranger

BlueMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Was....was there really anything of note to say about it? It sounded like any other piece of barely noticeable background music we've had for the past decade
Its soothing to me
Ninjasteel1987 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 08:27 AM #97
> HydroFlyer2.0
Ranger Reviews on YouTube

HydroFlyer2.0
Ranger Reviews on YouTube

I truly enjoyed Sarah's unmorphed fight, and all it made me realize is that that was probably the first one we saw all season, so even when Ninja Steel does something good, it still makes me sad.

Victor and Monty were some of the worst characters this franchise has ever seen. They could've done ANYTHING with them, and it would've been better than what we got. It would've been so easy for Victor to become the Gold Ranger, so you have development from obnoxious class clown to serious hero over the season. It'd also give Monty something to do, suspicious that Victor doesn't want to be friends anymore because he's always hanging out with the Ranger teens. Instead, they got to fart and then use bombs from their pants to blow up the Galaxy Warriors ship... cool.

They tried so hard to make me care about the Hayley/Calvin relationship thing, but it'd be a lot better had I ever been given a reason to care about them as characters in the first place. In fact, no one was written well. Preston just regurgitated information for an entire two years, Brody was one of the most annoying Rangers we've ever had, Sarah was supposed to be this super genius who was only that when it was convenient. I mean, Levi was supposed to be an internationally famous singer, and that meant nothing. They had character traits ready for these guys (I guess), but they never, ever committed to it consistently. Preston's magic only ever came up when it helped the plot, or it was another grueling Preston focus episode (seriously, did we need SIX Preston episodes?? Especially when Hayley got four, but she shared them with either Redbot, Calvin, or Sarah???), and I don't know a damn thing about Calvin except that he's late, forgetful, and he likes cars. How do you spend 1320 minutes with someone, and you know three things about them?

This episode itself was so lackluster, I forgot it was even on halfway through. I'm so happy to see Ninja Steel getting put to rest, and I feel bad for the actors the most because a) no one wants to be in a season that the fandom hates and b) it's going to take a long time to find anything worth putting in a demo reel from this show because they were directed to be terrible.
HydroFlyer2.0 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 09:56 AM #98
> NinjaJack
Read The G.K.A. Times

NinjaJack
Read The G.K.A. Times

Power Rangers Ninja Steel as a whole was lackluster and punched us in the face with all of the combined problems of the Neo Saban era in one grand two year opus of meh. I started out hoping for something better than last season in the finale for Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel, but that's not what I got. This was lacking so much because like Preston's wand they had to pull things from out of nowhere in order to move the plot. The season had no real developments that seem to matter so the ending had nothing to draw from.

Wait sorry, let me take that back, there were several things and people to draw from but the writers chose to totally ignore them so we could get more from Vic & Monty. Who needs the Lion Empire coming in last minute? Preston's relationship with Sandy? Doesn't matter. I would have loved to have seen some of the school faculty that we've been seeing in the finale saving Sarah instead of nameless people.

I did enjoy seeing Dane go after his sons but where was the weight in it? Dane should have morphed into the Dark Akaninger suit. Brody should have been an emotional wreck. fighting the father he searched so long for. Much like Tyler before him, once Brody found his dad there was nothing for him to really do in the super season. At least Tyler had Shelby to play off of. Brody just basically occupied time the entire season. I would have kept the evil Dane thing until the very last minute, but oh well.

Mick's response of "Oh no bad guys" was pretty tame for what just went down. In fact Mick should have been pissed at all the destruction that he was forced to do. The whole mind control thing seemed so bland and 90s with how easily it was corrected just took me out of the episode.

Speaking of how that took place, I really enjoyed Hayley pulling a weapon on Calvin, that was nice gravitas. I just wish that went on longer. Most of the episode was spelled out for us by the recap and Preston. I hope this is the last we've seen of that sort of thing.

Is anyone else bothered that one of the only wrapped up plots at the very end of two years is that Victor got his 50th trophy? He's not even an important character and he gets that much attention in the finale? Graduation would have been fun to see for the Rangers. Maybe a school dance? Just seems like there were so many missed opportunities to build on their own mythology that felt INTENTIONALLY ignored.

Twenty years from Countdown To Destruction and we get this...
NinjaJack is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 10:04 AM #99
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

So I'm still annoyed that the moral of the Calvin/Hayley break up was Hayley was overreacting.

That's the least convincing playing along acting ever, even the basher bots should have seen through that. I can buy Badonna not paying enough attention to faces to recognize the rangers, but they were the only ones out of step. How do you get all those extras to match a beat and the two mains can't even match each other?

So we're at the end and Cosmo still hasn't donned the full Nero costume or brought any other Toqger costumes. What a waste. Maybe Chip is just trying to make his signature in this era slipping in one steampunk character then. At least it means the rest of those suits can still be used someday.

The funny thing about Sarah doing unmorphed action is you can tell when it switches to the stuntie because the stuntie is less ripped than Chrysti Ane is.

Victor and Monty throw the ball explosives into their pants. If that's not saying something I just refuse to believe it.

Odious was waiting 1000 years for an army? We were waiting 1000 years for some exposition on this character and the prism. I feel pretty confidant that lack of expo was a Saban and new writer thing and at the end Chip tried to shove in as many tiny details as he can as that is his style.

But seriously, in the last 1000 years you couldn't find an army to raise on your own so you brainwashed humanity? You have basher bots, those had to be built somewhere, why not buy an army's worth? Also, you had at least 10 years to take over the prism on your own, which you apparently could have done at any time since you didn't gain any extra power or spells to turn it evil, just the same old hammer magic. Shoddy writing here. Disappointing.

You know what, Brody's Dad showing up brainwashed was a genuinely unexpected twist here. I thought we'd see Mick fight them at some point, I did not expect Dane to ninja up here. Mostly due to forgetting he existed,

Calvin striking at Hayley is kind of crazy. That blade struck exactly where her hand was. They generally don't make violence and danger that obvious, that's somewhat neat.

No. Hayley. You should have been mad at Calvin for not understanding why you'd be upset or why you would want to be comforted or why you'd be mad that he's always forgetting things and late, those are valid problems that telling the truth won't fix. This is a really screwed up lesson here, guys.

So apparently Dane wasn't the greatest Ninja, since the Nexus star didn't do this for him the first time around. Guess it was just waiting for Odious to show up. Though, being sneaky, doing things unseen, manipulating people to fight for her or die for her, having superior skills when forced to fight herself, yeah, if you think about it she's been a superior ninja this whole time.

Victor and Monty blew up the GW ship? With their balls?

So Preston's magic ends up being useful at the very end. While I think it's a weak deus ex machina use, it has at least been a consistently acknowledged and used plot device, unlike Dane. I also can't help but remember the complaints that it would never be mentioned again when it was first introduced, which is still funny. It's still stupid as hell they get all this bonus power just because they can.

It's a goddamn crime that the 50th trophy wasn't the Galaxy Warriors title belt. Like, seriously, that would have made it all worth it, I mean not really, but it would have been funny in the end and made two worthless running plots mean something.

So they just gave the ninja powers back because? The prism came to earth for a reason didn't it? If it was a sentient or living power source, why did it not just bust out of the GW ship before? Wouldn't more bad guys keep coming for it? It's not like they wiped out all the villains in the universe, monsters spent a decade trying to gain its power before the rangers got it. Seems like giving away the powers and making the star go on its merry way was a bad idea. But then I guess it will just come back for christmas anyway.

What a bad ending to a bad series. There were moments of promise there but it overwhelmingly dropped the ball in the end. I don't know if I'd outright call it the worst season, as there have been worse on more levels than how NInja Steel was bad. It's problem was mostly wasting time and a theme, it was most of the time a passable episodic series but it should have easily been more than that and could have been if not for certain producing elements.

I think the best thing about Ninja Steel is how it will be held as the prime example of "PR with Saban influence" vs "PR with creative freedom" under Hasbro.

But there are seasons with way worse acting and direction, and that tends to hold more weight for level of suck to me than boring or "could have been" storylines being missed. There are always things that could have been done better or slipped in, but if what is there is at least passable to the kiddies it's acceptable losses to me. When what is there is still utterly boring or annoying characters, ala PROO, I just can't give it a pass. Ninja Steel, not the worst, but no where near even the middle ground either.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 10:06 AM #100
> NinjaJack
Read The G.K.A. Times

NinjaJack
Read The G.K.A. Times

HydroFlyer2.0 wrote: View Post

I truly enjoyed Sarah's unmorphed fight, and all it made me realize is that that was probably the first one we saw all season, so even when Ninja Steel does something good, it still makes me sad.

They tried so hard to make me care about the Hayley/Calvin relationship thing, but it'd be a lot better had I ever been given a reason to care about them as characters in the first place. In fact, no one was written well. Preston just regurgitated information for an entire two years, Brody was one of the most annoying Rangers we've ever had, Sarah was supposed to be this super genius who was only that when it was convenient. I mean, Levi was supposed to be an internationally famous singer, and that meant nothing. They had character traits ready for these guys (I guess), but they never, ever committed to it consistently. Preston's magic only ever came up when it helped the plot, or it was another grueling Preston focus episode (seriously, did we need SIX Preston episodes?? Especially when Hayley got four, but she shared them with either Redbot, Calvin, or Sarah???), and I don't know a damn thing about Calvin except that he's late, forgetful, and he likes cars. How do you spend 1320 minutes with someone, and you know three things about them?
What is really funny about Sarah is that her ability to work with technology would have really shined in this finale with the you know, mind control machine thingy. Instead of allowing Sarah to reprogram it, they just blew it up. I wanted to see exactly what happens when a person becomes a soldier. If I am reading between the lines they were going to become Basher Bots. Wow that would have been fun to see.
NinjaJack is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
at least earth survived, clowns save the day, farewell neo-saban, no farts this time, poor zoe, worst father award