Home Menu

Menu

Old July 28th, 2019, 12:11 AM #3801
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

I know we were still riding a high, but I distinctly remember a lot of people honing in on that one bit. The only reason I was being so vocal about this one particular thing is because I remember the complaint from before, and it just feels like a very fandom-centric way of thinking.

We revisit Power Rangers often. We think about PR. Chip is thinking about new stories, and new characters, not the old ones, and the expectations we have are often rooted in the past not the future.

I wonder what the inspiration was, for both names. Maybe he had a strong female figure growing up with a simmilar name, or maybe it's based on someone from fiction. Can't be a through-and-through coincidence.

Maybe he was inspired by Kendrix, subconsciously. That would be a tad ironic.
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 28th, 2019, 08:18 PM #3802
> sdp
Power Ranger

sdp
Power Ranger

I'm disappointed the hype Hasbro had seems mostly gone but still excited to see what they offer post Beast Morphers and season 2 at the very least has ASJ coming back.
sdp is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2019, 08:28 PM #3803
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

Has anyone seen this? ASJ implying that there is an animated series in the works... not sure how much I buy it.

https://screenrant.com/red-power-ran...d-project/amp/
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2019, 08:33 PM #3804
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

cleanuphtr15 wrote: View Post

Has anyone seen this? ASJ implying that there is an animated series in the works... not sure how much I buy it.

Even if it was true (doubt.jpg), I'm not even sure I'd particularly care. If it was in development for three years it likely means it's got Saban's fingerprints all over it, assuming it hasn't been stuck in pre-production for that timespan.
Cuchulainn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 01:27 AM #3805
> bushwacka666
We all like a bit of bush

bushwacka666
We all like a bit of bush

That's an interesting tease, to be sure. Even f it did turn out to be true though, I'm not sure exactly which form the project would take. For some reason I kind of get the feeling like it could be some kind of tie-in to the Boom comics - maybe a short-run web series or something.

If, on the other hand, ASJ is implying something more like an actual proper animated TV show, then I can't help but remember the last time we heard about something like this. Saban was planning the "PR: Origins" show but apparently Toei were against animated projects and had it shut down. Presumably they would've needed a lot of convincing in order to change their minds and allow something like it to happen now.
bushwacka666 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 02:31 AM #3806
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

I'd love if they made an MMPR animated series for preschoolers and then "aged-up" the main show so it went back to the type of storytelling we saw in DCS1. (i.e. it would still be a show for kids, but more like what we got in the good parts of Dino Charge).

Presumably they would've needed a lot of convincing in order to change their minds and allow something like it to happen now.
Toei: Yikes! Super Sentai's revenues have fallen so much that we might have to drop it. Okay, Haim you can do your animated show, pregnancy test kits, e-cigs, just as long as we get royalties.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 03:56 AM #3807
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

An on/off animated project in the works for three years? Would this predate Hasbro buying the franchise, or did it kick in shortly after?
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 06:02 AM #3808
> Realshow
Power Ranger

Realshow
Power Ranger

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

An on/off animated project in the works for three years? Would this predate Hasbro buying the franchise, or did it kick in shortly after?
They purchased the franchise last year, so this project probably predates that.
Realshow is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 07:02 AM #3809
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

big smile wrote: View Post

I'd love if they made an MMPR animated series for preschoolers and then "aged-up" the main show so it went back to the type of storytelling we saw in DCS1. (i.e. it would still be a show for kids, but more like what we got in the good parts of Dino Charge).

Toei: Yikes! Super Sentai's revenues have fallen so much that we might have to drop it. Okay, Haim you can do your animated show, pregnancy test kits, e-cigs, just as long as we get royalties.
If you bring in ASJ (and presumably some other originals) as voice actors on an animated MMPR show and then you aim it at preschoolers, you're doing it wrong. If the show is for preschoolers, why bother having someone like ASJ do the voices? Just get anyone to do it. If you're bringing in the originals, you're aiming for nostalgia and you'd want to make the equivalent of the Voltron Netflix series.
Old July 29th, 2019, 07:20 AM #3810
> Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

If you bring in ASJ (and presumably some other originals) as voice actors on an animated MMPR show and then you aim it at preschoolers, you're doing it wrong. If the show is for preschoolers, why bother having someone like ASJ do the voices? Just get anyone to do it. If you're bringing in the originals, you're aiming for nostalgia and you'd want to make the equivalent of the Voltron Netflix series.
Exactly. If it's for preschoolers he probably wouldn't even have agreed to do it. It's probably gonna have a Young Justice vibe.
Lordoftherangers is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 07:26 AM #3811
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

Preschoolers? Thats basically what the live action show is for. We dont need two shows that are dumbed down.
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 07:51 AM #3812
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Yeah... that's not really a good sign. That's his version of JDF's "I'm going to make an R-rated mature Green Ranger series for Saban" essentially. Not to say this idea is that kind of thing, just the idea of talking about a secret pitched project he's involved in fits that "look at me I am pitching things" mentality JDF has and it does not sit right with me. Especially given how it's been picked up and run with as a fact by a lot of sites just using the "Original Red Ranger Returns" clickbait articles.

...So Beast Morphers?

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

It's a fan project if anything. Hasbro or Saban would have had nothing to do with it.

Or worse, he's referencing the Order.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 08:16 AM #3813
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

...So Beast Morphers?
Beast Morphers is a huge shift from NStl. But it doesn't seem the same tone that DCS1 started off with. It feels like it's treating it's audience a touch younger than DC did (before the big shift happened on DC).
Old July 29th, 2019, 08:20 AM #3814
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

Beast morphers is only a step up from ninja steel

Its certainly not as good as dino charge, at least not yet.

Yeah... that's not really a good sign. That's his version of JDF's "I'm going to make an R-rated mature Green Ranger series for Saban" essentially. Not to say this idea is that kind of thing, just the idea of talking about a secret pitched project he's involved in fits that "look at me I am pitching things" mentality JDF has and it does not sit right with me. Especially given how it's been picked up and run with as a fact by a lot of sites just using the "Original Red Ranger Returns" clickbait articles.

...So Beast Morphers?

It's a fan project if anything. Hasbro or Saban would have had nothing to do with it.

Or worse, he's referencing the Order.
ASJ can be just as much as an ego maniac as jdf. The difference is. Asj is alot more subtle and knows when to shut up.

Last edited by mmprfan09; July 29th, 2019 at 08:33 AM.
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 08:27 AM #3815
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

The strange part about the article to me is it paints him as choosing his words carefully. He literally said they've been working on an animated PR project for 3 years. Doesn't seem like he's being vague to me
Old July 29th, 2019, 08:28 AM #3816
> Elephant
Blue Blitz Ranger, GO!

Elephant
Blue Blitz Ranger, GO!

Hasbro's started airing Saban acquired cartoons on Discovery Family, like Popples. Is there a chance we'll see reruns of classics seasons on that channel? Nicktoons doesn't air anything except Dino Charge and Ninja Steel.
Elephant is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 09:21 AM #3817
> Red Rock
Power Ranger

Red Rock
Power Ranger

I wonder what will happen after Power Rangers Beast Morphers. Will there be a break and hasbro think what to do next? Maybe they wait and see how well beast morphers goes when finally finished.
Or maybe they're already thinking what to do next. How far ahead do they make plans?
I imagine there are people sitting around a desk in a room, "Right, what are we going to do?!!!! Shall we just adapt another sentai, pick one out of a hat? Or shall we try and make an original not adapted from super sentai?"
"I dunno boss!" *shrugs shoulders*
"What's popular these days? What do the people love?!"
"Well...Minecraft was quite popular I dunno how popular these days..."
"Hmm"
"Everyone loves videogames. What about something I saw in China, 'Battle Strike Team: Space Deleter' ???
"Hmmm possible" "Great let's go with that!
"No more questions. Just do it!"

P.s my apologies if I don't reply to private messages quickly. I keep forgetting to check the inbox thing.
Red Rock is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 09:27 AM #3818
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

If the show is for preschoolers, why bother having someone like ASJ do the voices? Just get anyone to do it. If you're bringing in the originals, you're aiming for nostalgia and you'd want to make the equivalent of the Voltron Netflix series.
This is something that doesn't feel me with joy, as I'd think they use an older-aimed animated show as a reason to push the main show more to the preschool demo.

PR's charm is live-action. As neat as the Boom Comics are they don't capture the live-action aspect. I want the live-action show to return to glory and not be the kiddie entry point you skip over to get to the good stuff.
Old July 29th, 2019, 09:37 AM #3819
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Beast Morphers is a huge shift from NStl. But it doesn't seem the same tone that DCS1 started off with. It feels like it's treating it's audience a touch younger than DC did (before the big shift happened on DC).
Well tone is different from "type of storytelling". BM is definitely more interested in telling an ongoing story arc, it's filler even serves to pad arcs or set up coming things. Even at its most episodic so far it's still carrying on or bringing up previous story bits, nothing is entirely one and done.

I'd argue the difference in tone isn't even about age, BM and DC just have such differences in story and cast they can't do the same tone of stories. DC's rangers were kids hanging out at work essentially, they got more freedom to play around and give a more jovial loose tone. BM's got a more structured and ordered military complex tone with its characters, it leaves less room for the heroes to be funny and relies on a comedy duo as a result.

A comedy duo that honestly tones way the hell down as the series progresses. If there is one spoiler I am ok with spilling about the upcoming episodes, its that each one gets better and progressively improves as a story than the last. Even Ben and Betty get better as characters and less cartoonish in the slapstick, and we're still not done. The most recent episode is itself a huge tonal shift and big jump past even where DC was with some stories, specifically involving a forbidden ranger relationship.

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

ASJ can be just as much as an ego maniac as jdf. The difference is. Asj is alot more subtle and knows when to shut up.
That's almost worse because you can at least see the egomania coming from JDF that way. If it's subtle, it's easier to convince people you're not being the egomaniac and to embrace your brand of egomania.

The strange part about the article to me is it paints him as choosing his words carefully. He literally said they've been working on an animated PR project for 3 years. Doesn't seem like he's being vague to me
Screenrant and other clickbait news sites that use phrases like "seemed to be choosing words carefully" are not actually delivering the news. When you apply an opinion on your bit, it is no longer replaying events but telling a story. That phrasing implies the actual exchange was bland and didn't really offer much so they had to spice it up by describing it as vague or secretive to make it sound more interesting and mysterious that it was.

It's a bad way to cover something, even pop culture news.

Elephant wrote: View Post

Hasbro's started airing Saban acquired cartoons on Discovery Family, like Popples. Is there a chance we'll see reruns of classics seasons on that channel? Nicktoons doesn't air anything except Dino Charge and Ninja Steel.
PR? Probably not. They'd have a separate contract with Nick for exclusivity and Lionsgate's contract handles distribution hence why the online next day options are so limited.

Other Saban/Hasbro acquired properties may be possible just to fill air.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 09:53 AM #3820
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

Well tone is different from "type of storytelling". BM is definitely more interested in telling an ongoing story arc, it's filler even serves to pad arcs or set up coming things. Even at its most episodic so far it's still carrying on or bringing up previous story bits, nothing is entirely one and done.

I'd argue the difference in tone isn't even about age, BM and DC just have such differences in story and cast they can't do the same tone of stories. DC's rangers were kids hanging out at work essentially, they got more freedom to play around and give a more jovial loose tone. BM's got a more structured and ordered military complex tone with its characters, it leaves less room for the heroes to be funny and relies on a comedy duo as a result.
I've only watched upto episode 8. However, for all its improvements, BM feels like it was made by the NSteel team.

Examples:
In DC they were happy to have the Rangers do the comedy, which made the characters more layered.
In BM, the comic duo is the main source of comedy. It feels like it would be too confusing for kids to have the rangers be layered and be the main source of comedy, so they have to have dedicated characters for it. (That's not to say the BM rangers don't have comic moments, but they aren't the main source of comedy in the show. B&B are the driving force of comedy).

DC carefully planted seeds for it's story arc, such as the mystery of Tyler's dad or Fury's secret (And then they bungled it big time, but I am talking about the good-era of DC).
BM is also doing story arcs, but they are a bit on the nose. Like, they dropped the bread crumb of Steel's head twice and it was obvious how that would turn out. It's like they've got to underscore it for the kids, so they don't miss it.

If you hadn't seen the Sentai, it would be hard to guess what Fury's secret was. They didn't have to underscore that he had the Gold Ranger inside of him.

Don't get me wrong, BM treats it's audience much better than NStl did. "Taking Care of Business" of business was superb and I can't imagine NStl would have done anything like that. But there's still the sense that it doesn't want to push the little kiddies too much, and I never got that sense from DC until it had it's big change.