RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Merchandise
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old October 5th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #701
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Picked up the Dragonzord pop at my local pop culture shop this morning. They only had four, so I was pretty proud with my purchase (particularly since the Megazord figures disappeared in like a day when they were in earlier in the year).
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #702
Alitain
God of Benevolence

RedRanger87 wrote: View Post

Dragonzord is in stock at Hot Topic.

Dragonzord 6 inch Funko Pop
Well if the one near me had any no doubt they're gone by now. I'll have to try and get down there sometime soon though just to satisfy my curiosity and see if I can get lucky.
Alitain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #703
MysteryRanger
Power Ranger

RedRanger87 wrote: View Post

Dragonzord is in stock at Hot Topic.

Dragonzord 6 inch Funko Pop
And ITS GONE!
MysteryRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 04:20 AM   #704
⚡OmegaRangerRed

32 eBay
MysteryRanger wrote: View Post

And ITS GONE!
It was gone that morning. I tried multiple times to order it and couldn't.

I did end up finding the pop at a local toy show over the weekend. It only runs twice a year, and I made sure to make it there, knowing there's a crap-load of pop vendors that always show up and hoped one would have it. Sure enough, a table in the far back had a single one for $45. I talked him down to $40 for it.

We talked about where he got it at, him telling me he'd got it at a Hot Topic in Champaign, about an hour away, and he'd been there early to get it. In general, I don't have much issue with a scalper in general (or flipper, or reseller, whaever term you prefer), but I had to bite my tongue a bit because he was complaining that "hot topic sold out of (the dragonzords) so fast because they were allowing up to 10 per person" while having about 15 of the 8-bit shredders on his table at $30 a piece. The desire to reply with "are you complaining about their sales tactics simply because you weren't first in line to buy 10?" was quite strong.
OmegaRangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:54 AM   #705
⚡Lord Zedd
Foolish Monkeys

32 eBay
Hot Topic issues a statement that it was a mistake that they allowed 10 per person and apologized stating that it wouldn't happen again. It should have been 2 per person.

while that doesn't help the shortage, at least they addressed it.
Lord Zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #706
⚡OmegaRangerRed

32 eBay
Lord Zedd wrote: View Post

Hot Topic issues a statement that it was a mistake that they allowed 10 per person and apologized stating that it wouldn't happen again. It should have been 2 per person.

while that doesn't help the shortage, at least they addressed it.
That's nice, but at this point, my annoyance is still more at Funko and their need to try to make anything even remotely desirable an "exclusive". I live in the Chicago area, with a long drive to work that opens me up to access and availability of more stores than the majority of other fans, so let's take a look at some of their recent Power Ranger exclusives.

Alpha 5 - Went to over 10 Walmart locations, many multiple times after its release. Finally found by a friend who mailed to me, thankfully, at cost. I did end up finding one as well in one of the stores I frequent. That was the only time I saw Alpha in a retail store.

Movie Rita - I was lucky with this one, and able to walk right into a Hot Topic and grab her off the shelf with no issue.

Morphing MMPR Team - Lost count of the number of Game Stops I went to looking for these. I never saw a single ranger in store. I ended up getting lucky and found them on eBay, getting the whole set for $42 shipped, far under retail value.

Movie Rita and Zordon (morphed) - These didn't seem to get the demand they were expecting, as I saw multiples of them at various Toys R US locations.

Megazord - Yea..........I did not have the ability to go to SDCC to get this, and the closes store that may have sold it (I never even tried to confirm if they had it or not) is a 3 hour drive, one way, away. a $65 eBay purchase later I had it.

Dragonzord - Tried online and 2 stores, but without the ability to show up at opening, I had no chance. Found him at a toy show for $40.

Armored Red - I got lucky with this one, and got him opening day at FYE. They hadn't even stocked shelves or confirmed there was enough to cover their pre-orders, granted the 2nd fact I didn't know until I was paying for him. Had I not of tried to get him on the release date, it likely would have been an eBay purchase as well.

Long story short: I like collecting these, but if it continues where my only way to get something is either luck, wasting time driving around, or paying after-market prices, I may soon be giving the line up. I just don't have the time or patience for that like I used to.
Old October 12th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #707
KamenRiderOOO
Super! TaToBa TATOBA!

My Hot Topic story regarding Dragonzord POP!
-Store posted on social media- Opening at 9:30AM
-Left house at 7:30AM, got to mall at 7:45AM. Line of 4 there already, was 5th
-got to become buddy buddy with the guys ahead of me, we all kept an eye out for where they were gonna put down the Dragonzord pop.
-around 8, manager starts unboxing, puts 6 Dragonzords on the bottom shelf, and we found 6 more behind the counter.
-doors open at 9:25, me and the people in front of me go in.
-first guy gets the first one off the bottom shelf.
-second guy, who went there for a friend, grabs two
-third and fourth are a couple, he grabs one and she grabs one.
-I grab mine, Grandmaster and Lockjaw, proceed to the counter.
-Hell breaks loose and everyone that was behind us, rush into the store.
-The jump behind the counter and start grabbing at the Dragonzords.
-someone cuts in front of me in the line to check out and buys two.
-Manager before checking me out, runs to the back and pulls out two more boxes. As soon as he opens them, one guy grabs two from the first box, someone grabs the third from that box, and the next box is opened. The three in there are immediately snatched by 3 different people.
-I pay and am about to leave when someone runs in and asks me where I got my Dragonzord. Just as I'm about to answer, manager calls out to the store, "The Dragonzord is sold out!"

This all happened within 5 minutes.
KamenRiderOOO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:07 PM   #708
Dino_Ranger_White
White Ranger_Dino Power!

KamenRiderOOO wrote: View Post

My Hot Topic story regarding Dragonzord POP!
-Store posted on social media- Opening at 9:30AM
-Left house at 7:30AM, got to mall at 7:45AM. Line of 4 there already, was 5th
-got to become buddy buddy with the guys ahead of me, we all kept an eye out for where they were gonna put down the Dragonzord pop.
-around 8, manager starts unboxing, puts 6 Dragonzords on the bottom shelf, and we found 6 more behind the counter.
-doors open at 9:25, me and the people in front of me go in.
-first guy gets the first one off the bottom shelf.
-second guy, who went there for a friend, grabs two
-third and fourth are a couple, he grabs one and she grabs one.
-I grab mine, Grandmaster and Lockjaw, proceed to the counter.
-Hell breaks loose and everyone that was behind us, rush into the store.
-The jump behind the counter and start grabbing at the Dragonzords.
-someone cuts in front of me in the line to check out and buys two.
-Manager before checking me out, runs to the back and pulls out two more boxes. As soon as he opens them, one guy grabs two from the first box, someone grabs the third from that box, and the next box is opened. The three in there are immediately snatched by 3 different people.
-I pay and am about to leave when someone runs in and asks me where I got my Dragonzord. Just as I'm about to answer, manager calls out to the store, "The Dragonzord is sold out!"

This all happened within 5 minutes.
THIS is why I don't collect POPs.
Dino_Ranger_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #709
⚡OmegaRangerRed

32 eBay
I know there's no way to ever find this out, but I'd love to know what that actual ratio is between pops that were legitimately bought for a collection (yours, a friend, a present, etc) and those bought purely to resell for profit.
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #710
Dino_Ranger_White
White Ranger_Dino Power!

OmegaRangerRed wrote: View Post

I know there's no way to ever find this out, but I'd love to know what that actual ratio is between pops that were legitimately bought for a collection (yours, a friend, a present, etc) and those bought purely to resell for profit.
I would not be surprised if it was a 1:2 ratio on that

1 - collection for every 2 - resell
Old October 12th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #711
BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Doesn't your Hot Topic have the '1 Chase/Exclusive per customer' limit? I know mine does, as well as Think Geek. It might just be a store by store limitation, but I'm grateful for that, otherwise I'd have never gotten the exclusive Pennywise or Bride of Chucky Tiffany Chase.
BobbyDrake2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #712
Alitain
God of Benevolence

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

Doesn't your Hot Topic have the '1 Chase/Exclusive per customer' limit? I know mine does, as well as Think Geek. It might just be a store by store limitation, but I'm grateful for that, otherwise I'd have never gotten the exclusive Pennywise or Bride of Chucky Tiffany Chase.
Yeah mine does, they have the signs all over the Pop shelf. I still don't expect to find any Dragonzord whenever I can next get down there, but yeah. Of course the signs only matter if the employees bother to pay attention and uphold it.
Old October 13th, 2017, 06:02 AM   #713
⚡Lord Zedd
Foolish Monkeys

32 eBay

~rant snip~
Oh i know what you mean....but Funko has been doing this for YEARS, so it won't ever change....and it doesn't help that they keep snatching up rights for new properties.

In all honesty, unless a funko is a convention exclusive or walmart/target exclusive, they're not that hard to come by. Hot Topic and Gamestop get pretty good amounts of stock on their exclusives as do Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Milion.

A good rule to try and remember for all, if you find an exclusive pop that you want, you better get it when you see it.
Lord Zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 11:40 AM   #714
⚡OmegaRangerRed

32 eBay
Lord Zedd wrote: View Post

~logical snip~
Oh i know what ya mean. I do wonder if/when these will go the way of beanie babies and the craze will die out.
Old October 13th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #715
Dino_Ranger_White
White Ranger_Dino Power!

Oh i know what ya mean. I do wonder if/when these will go the way of beanie babies and the craze will die out.

It will, eventually. Then they will be had for pennies on the dollar just like Beanie Babies.

Heck, with some of the common stock… places like Barnes and Noble
cannot give them away at $2.50 a figure now.

I was in one last night that had them clearances at that price, with
so many boxes full… there had to be 300+ common ones just collecting dust.

I know a couple guys who used to do exclusives through Funko, but have
since stopped… because they have apparently become huge dicks who are
full of themselves and want to rape you to even sniff having an exclusive
through them.

It's just like Funko HQ… they are so full of themselves that it isn't even
funny anymore.

Last edited by Dino_Ranger_White; October 13th, 2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old October 13th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #716
BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

I've wondered that often. I think Beanie Babies actually died off faster than this. Most pop culture crazes and collectibles do, so it's kind of surprising Pops are still going as strongly as they are. I think, if anything, it's the breadth of licenses they're able to get that keep them going. What other line of collectibles gives you Power Rangers, Marvel and DC characters, the cast of Friends, Aliens, RoboCop, Disney cartoons, etc.?
BigMDtheSequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 01:39 PM   #717
BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

The scalpers who make sure that no one else can get an exclusive (or even basic figures like Pennywise) have pretty much ruined the hobby for me. I think I'm done collecting for a while, barring finding one I really, really want.
BobbyDrake2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #718
Alitain
God of Benevolence

It also depends on your area. Like for me, the one TRU around STILL wont stock their exclusive X-23 pop. Sure, I could buy it online but I don't want to pay for shipping when it's something they should have in stores. And normally they'd have their exclusive in by now which is why it's annoying. I was just in yesterday and they had some recent exclusive, but still no X-23. But I'm sure they're around at other stores.

One of the B&N's by me has almost no Pop section, so they don't get new ones that often. And even trying to go online some of the ones lately like the Darkwing Duck pops which aren't exclusive, can't be found. Hell, I only saw a couple in Walmarts near me but resisted grabbing them and now they're gone. Haven't been in a Gamestop for Pops in ages though, since them and Hot Topic cost the most but depending on which store you're at they do tend to get exclusives in eventually. Except for the metallic blue ranger, for some reason that one never showed up yet they'll get many others. And Hot Topic is spotty at best, at least the one by me. Sometimes there're exclusives, sometimes not.

It makes it frustrating when half the ones I want either end up being rare to see around here, or exclusive. Makes me wonder if I'll be able to find the upcoming Hellboy pops next month, or the Grinch ones cause I really want those not just for me but my mom for Christmas.

As for the bubble bursting, I don't think it's going to burst real soon. Honestly over the last several years the whole collectibles market has boomed and seems here to stay. There's always some new knick knack being put out people will buy, some new wave of blind box figures, etc etc. And as long as there're properties to make Pops from, Funko will keep going. Not to mention they went from Pops, to having Dorbz, the mini figures, keychains, and continue coming out with new merchandise so they're likely good.

I think it might dip down, and I think some retailers are plateauing in terms of what they can keep in stock, older ones going to purely online with the trouble of pricing and shipping and all that comes with it, but that's probably it at least for awhile. It also helps that generally the pops are affordable. Gamestop and Hot Topic have the highest price I've seen in places at 13-15 depending on if it's regular or exclusive. B&N and Walmart are around 9-10, and B&N you can shave a little off with membership discount or coupons(which is what I normally do).

Oh and speaking of Walmart, I find it funny the ones here if you look at their Pop shelf they have price tags for some of the groups, and the Star Wars are at $3 because they have so many and can't get rid of them.
Old October 16th, 2017, 05:39 PM   #719
Redspaceandros
Bring It On~

eBay
I've been collecting since 2012 (before the surge of interest in 2013), so I've noticed a couple of things I want to share.

Hot Topic exclusives are pretty cheap on the secondary market. Most new ones you can find for $18 shipped on eBay. A good way to get exclusives if you miss them your first time at Hot Topic. They do tend to restock over time. I've found every Hot Topic exclusive I was looking for with the exception of Maleficent. Also, joining Facebook groups is a great way to get pops for less than eBay prices.

Walmart pops varies but they mostly go online after some time. I've waited and waited for the Star War E3 3-pack and FINALLY got one for retail + shipping on their site. What might seem rare now, doesn't always tend to stay rare. Alpha is less than $5 on their website and readily available.

TRU always has an abundance of their exclusives. It's not really a hassle to get.

Target is what most collectors get upset about. Target is really had to get pops as I rarely see their exclusives for sale. When I do, the box is all damaged. Your best bet is to keep asking questions. Lately, the Destiny 2 chase pop is what is driving people crazy. They're like $130 on eBay, but only because they're so scarce, especially being a chase.

Dino_Ranger_White wrote: View Post

It will, eventually. Then they will be had for pennies on the dollar just like Beanie Babies.

Heck, with some of the common stock… places like Barnes and Noble
cannot give them away at $2.50 a figure now.

I was in one last night that had them clearances at that price, with
so many boxes full… there had to be 300+ common ones just collecting dust.

I know a couple guys who used to do exclusives through Funko, but have
since stopped… because they have apparently become huge dicks who are
full of themselves and want to rape you to even sniff having an exclusive
through them.

It's just like Funko HQ… they are so full of themselves that it isn't even
funny anymore.
Like all toys/craze, Funko will die, it's only a mater when.

People have so often made the comparison to Beanie Babies but these are different in a sense that they're licensed characters people can relate to, not just some random flamingo or monkey. Licenses like DC, Marvel, popular TV Series like GOT, Walking Dead, Stranger Things, Disney and Star Wars is what will keep Funko afloat. Plus, Funko has been around for about a decade, if not longer (they were around before Pops, mostly making bobbleheads), they know what they're doing.

The problem is that Funko makes too many too quickly and it's really hard for collectors to keep up. Anything that really isn't from the list I listed above usually gets overlooked and thus goes into clearance.

Last edited by Redspaceandros; October 16th, 2017 at 05:45 PM.
Redspaceandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #720
RedMystechRanger
Ars Deicidium

I'm trying to stay out, but the Parks and Rec Pops are just so fantastic, and now that I'm getting into MST3K, I really want to get my hands on Crow and Tom Servo...

Pray for my wallet.
RedMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote