Menu

Old October 21st, 2013, 12:04 AM #201
> PropFreak1
Rob

eBay
PropFreak1
Rob

eBay

ugh SERIOUSLY how could I make a mistake like that??? its late that's why...a link to the past was the SNES version ..WTF??? lol...yes the adventure of link...yup every time I used Game Genie....I would have to be ready to try and beat the game in one session because once I turned it off...and took the game genie out..and tried to play without it ...it would literally wipe it ALL out!!!...I mean to the point where you had to even put in a new character name in and everything ...talk about being pissed beyond belief ...all those hours of playing ...for NOTHING !!! lol
Storm Eagle wrote: View Post

"A Link to the Past" isn't Zelda II. That's "The Adventure of Link".

So the memory you saved would be erased because of the Game Genie?
PropFreak1 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:10 AM #202
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

PropFreak1 wrote: View Post

ugh SERIOUSLY how could I make a mistake like that??? its late that's why...a link to the past was the SNES version ..WTF??? lol...yes the adventure of link...yup every time I used Game Genie....I would have to be ready to try and beat the game in one session because once I turned it off...and took the game genie out..and tried to play without it ...it would literally wipe it ALL out!!!...I mean to the point where you had to even put in a new character name in and everything ...talk about being pissed beyond belief ...all those hours of playing ...for NOTHING !!! lol
First of all, I should tell you that you should be placing your response under whatever you're quoting.

Might you have tried using the Game Genie again, after the last time you used the Game Genie on that game? If so, what would happen?

I was personally hesitant to use the Game Genie on my Nintendo consoles for the simple fact that it's not even one of the Nintendo-licensed products. There was even something in a few Nintendo Power magazines that warned against doing so. Now I think I'm glad I never bothered with it.

Speaking of Nintendo Power, they used to have a section in it where you could submit your scores. You'd of course have to take a picture of your score on the TV, but you'd also have to include the console in the picture so they can see that you're not using an enhancement device like the Game Genie.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:20 AM #203
> PropFreak1
Rob

eBay
PropFreak1
Rob

eBay

First of all, I should tell you that you should be placing your response under whatever you're quoting.

Might you have tried using the Game Genie again, after the last time you used the Game Genie on that game? If so, what would happen?

I was personally hesitant to use the Game Genie on my Nintendo consoles for the simple fact that it's not even one of the Nintendo-licensed products. There was even something in a few Nintendo Power magazines that warned against doing so. Now I think I'm glad I never bothered with it.

Speaking of Nintendo Power, they used to have a section in it where you could submit your scores. You'd of course have to take a picture of your score on the TV, but you'd also have to include the console in the picture so they can see that you're not using an enhancement device like the Game Genie.
yes I remember that about Nintendo power as well...and I tried it all... used the game with it and without it...without it the game worked just fine and saved everything....but the min you hooked it up to the game genie played and turned it off...it wiped it clean....just to double check after the first time I erased it all with the game genie I started a new game and it worked just fine..put a few hours of play into it ..tried the game genie and the same result wiped clean once done playing...the game genie itself worked just fine on every other game..never damaged my console at all as previously stated I have my ORIGINAL NES and it STILL works just fine ;-)...the Zelda game was the only one I noticed the issue with...I assume it had something to do with the save feature as the games had a internal batt for that if I remember correctly with a warning about shutting the power of to it during the game could cause data corruption....however since that was the only game I had with that feature I was never able to test that theory out but based on it working fine with my other games I am guess that was the case...either way the end result SUCKED!! lol
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:37 AM #204
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

One of the lines I remember from the old reviews that's the pot calling the kettle black, whether intentional or not:

"It's just a bunch of nerds showing off their high scores!"
Xalfrea is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:40 AM #205
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

PropFreak1 wrote: View Post

yes I remember that about Nintendo power as well...and I tried it all... used the game with it and without it...without it the game worked just fine and saved everything....but the min you hooked it up to the game genie played and turned it off...it wiped it clean....just to double check after the first time I erased it all with the game genie I started a new game and it worked just fine..put a few hours of play into it ..tried the game genie and the same result wiped clean once done playing...the game genie itself worked just fine on every other game..never damaged my console at all as previously stated I have my ORIGINAL NES and it STILL works just fine ;-)...the Zelda game was the only one I noticed the issue with...I assume it had something to do with the save feature as the games had a internal batt for that if I remember correctly with a warning about shutting the power of to it during the game could cause data corruption....however since that was the only game I had with that feature I was never able to test that theory out but based on it working fine with my other games I am guess that was the case...either way the end result SUCKED!! lol
Game Genie may not have messed up your console, but it doesn't seem like it might be good with games with battery back-up. Nintendo's warning against using things like that appears to be justified nonetheless. Besides, the one they made for the Game Boy just looks atrocious.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_Game_Boy.JPG

The Genesis and Game Gear counterparts, however, are actually Sega-licensed.

Quantum Wolf wrote: View Post

One of the lines I remember from the old reviews that's the pot calling the kettle black, whether intentional or not:

"It's just a bunch of nerds showing off their high scores!"
Review of the Game Genie?

Whatever it is, how would it exactly be the pot calling the kettle black?
Old October 21st, 2013, 06:01 AM #206
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

No, it was James' episode for Nintendo Power.
GalaxyRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:16 AM #207
> chaotix12345
Darkly Dawning

chaotix12345
Darkly Dawning

James faces the wrath of Aliens.
chaotix12345 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:26 AM #208
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

GalaxyRed wrote: View Post

No, it was James' episode for Nintendo Power.
I'd have to look at that again to understand. It has been a while.
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:09 AM #209
> PropFreak1
Rob

eBay
PropFreak1
Rob

eBay

Game Genie may not have messed up your console, but it doesn't seem like it might be good with games with battery back-up. Nintendo's warning against using things like that appears to be justified nonetheless. Besides, the one they made for the Game Boy just looks atrocious.

The Genesis and Game Gear counterparts, however, are actually Sega-licensed.

......As I said I agree and that is my theory about it as well...however I wouldn't say "not good" for the game...I would just say it corrupts your save data when you use it as I have used it multiple times trying to reach the end of that maddening game lol....and each time the game worked just like before it was used...so I wouldn't say it messes up the game overall it just effects the saved data portion...and like I said I don't know if this goes for anyone who used game genie on this game...I just know of my exp. with it myself ...I do wonder now if there are any others out there that have exp'd this so called "glitch" (also one of my fav AVGN episodes with the glitch demon lol) with Zelda 2 and the game genie ..I also remember there were two different code books...a blue and red one (the cover) and a white and read one..not sure what the difference between them is but I remember my friend had the blue and I had the white...strange
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:30 PM #210
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

And to celebrate the Halloween season, the nerd reviews the NES version of Alien 3.

Hoorayz for tie-ins!!!
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:00 AM #211
> red-thunder
Power Ranger

red-thunder
Power Ranger

Monster Madness review of Alien 3 - http://cinemassacre.com/2013/10/22/alien-3-1992/
red-thunder is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:57 AM #212
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

And now on Monster Madness, we have what James feels is a good example of "entertaining trash", it's Alien: Resurrection.
Old October 24th, 2013, 09:34 AM #213
> chaotix12345
Darkly Dawning

chaotix12345
Darkly Dawning

It's not a Sequel-A-Thon until a good old-fashioned monster mash breaks out! James watches as the Alien takes on the Predator.
Old October 24th, 2013, 01:02 PM #214
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Hmm...one thing that always stuck out to me was how lax James seems to be in his movie reviews, even if the movie he's looking at is widely considered to be "bad".

Now granted, the movies he looks at he tends to be as himself and not an exaggerated reviewer persona like his many peers at TGWTG, and I do give him props for that (as I've stated before on the TGWTG thread, I myself have been getting tired of the "yelling angrily at the camera" shtick). Still though, you would think that because his main passion has and always will be film making, that he would be more critical of these kind of things.
Old October 24th, 2013, 01:13 PM #215
> vanexel711
Power Ranger

eBay
vanexel711
Power Ranger

eBay

I think Game Genie signaled the end of my NES days. Don't know if it was the timing, or just the sheer cheating. Hmm....
vanexel711 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 01:34 PM #216
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

chaotix12345 wrote: View Post

It's not a Sequel-A-Thon until a good old-fashioned monster mash breaks out! James watches as the Alien takes on the Predator.
Kinda agree with him on the movie being underwhelming. The sequel on the other hand f*** that movie f*** it hard.
DJ1107 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:18 PM #217
> PropFreak1
Rob

eBay
PropFreak1
Rob

eBay

vanexel711 wrote: View Post

I think Game Genie signaled the end of my NES days. Don't know if it was the timing, or just the sheer cheating. Hmm....
Well ...while I agree with the cheating part of your comment...I never really used the Game Genie for that purpose I usually used it for the more fun tricks..playing as another character ..making them have a super jump..or fly just the fun stuff the only time I would used them to cheat would be in a exceptionally hard game that I needed to either reach the end of it or throw it at my wall and watch it shatter into a thousand pieces lol...
Old October 24th, 2013, 10:54 PM #218
> chaotix12345
Darkly Dawning

chaotix12345
Darkly Dawning

DJ1107 wrote: View Post

The sequel on the other hand f*** that movie f*** it hard.
SPEAKING OF...James takes a look at the sequel that devolved both Alien and Predator into the sum of their slasher movie parts.
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:00 PM #219
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

tasti man LH wrote: View Post

Hmm...one thing that always stuck out to me was how lax James seems to be in his movie reviews, even if the movie he's looking at is widely considered to be "bad".

Now granted, the movies he looks at he tends to be as himself and not an exaggerated reviewer persona like his many peers at TGWTG, and I do give him props for that (as I've stated before on the TGWTG thread, I myself have been getting tired of the "yelling angrily at the camera" shtick). Still though, you would think that because his main passion has and always will be film making, that he would be more critical of these kind of things.
Maybe James's own style of reviewing films is more of a calm look, or perhaps if it's a movie he actively dislikes, a subdued fury. About the closest thing we'll get is the AVGN review of Ninja Turtles III.
Xalfrea is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:12 PM #220
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

I think the other part of it is that his movie reviews tend to be really short (like 10 minutes or below) and that he looks at the major aspects of the movie in broad strokes, and not going through each scene step by step and breaking down each detail.

It could also be that he has enough sense to stop and say "it's just a movie. Nothing to make a fuss about." Other reviewers tend to treat a bad movie as if it's a personal insult to them...which when you stop to think, is a little bit much.

Still, does kind of makes one stop to pause as being one of the few internet personalities that isn't all up in rage and actually has nice things to say with films like Indiana Jones Crystal Skull and Prometheus.