eBay
SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay

SirStack's Morphylogeny

http://sirstack.db-destiny.net/morphylogeny/main.htm

Churlyryan wrote: View Post

http://sirstack.db-destiny.net/morphylogeny/main.htm

You know him, Sirstack, aka Jesse Herndon.

I'm not here to talk about him though, I just greatly admire his little hobby he works on for about 5 months a year until he mysteriously stops updating Until January the next year. I respect all that because its such a great website that breaks down what really goes on in the Sentai.

He's recently come back for the year and finished Ninja Storm. He promised, promised, promised this time that he is gonna start VR Troopers after that and will do in tandem with Dino Thunder.

To be honest, I've not really seen an entire series Post-Zordon since Lightspeed. So I won't have much comment on each series and episode.

I wanted to make this thread so there's some sort of discussion and exposure of the site, if anyone was still interested.

It used to be on the board Rangercrew but that board seems to be no more/
SirStack is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 02:05 PM #2
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

I looked at a couple of episodes and i got to take my hat off to him for doing a sort of scene by scene breakdown but what i credit more is the way he has shown what parts of sentai the footage has come from and what parts are original.
Also looks quite good if hunting for a specific image to use for a picture cause sometimes google is abit of a mess
toejammer is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 04:48 PM #3
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

Dear God, VRT's going to be more of a chore to do than MMPR. At least, with MMPR, you only had ONE series to filter through (in terms of Season 1, with Zyuranger). VRT's drawing from either two or three different series (Season 2's a bit more relaxed, with Ryan's new powers and Grimlord's new army) at a go.

My hat's off to him when he finally starts to tackle it.
MegaBlue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:03 PM #4
> AngieYaz
Banned

AngieYaz
Banned

Really love his work! I've used some of his screencaps for my revisited episode articles. =D
AngieYaz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:52 PM #5
> ShadowJoker
Crimson Comrade

ShadowJoker
Crimson Comrade

MegaBlue wrote: View Post

Dear God, VRT's going to be more of a chore to do than MMPR. At least, with MMPR, you only had ONE series to filter through (in terms of Season 1, with Zyuranger). VRT's drawing from either two or three different series (Season 2's a bit more relaxed, with Ryan's new powers and Grimlord's new army) at a go.

Lucky for him, VR Troopers reuses a lot of stock footage...I mean alot. I'm not even talking about the vehicle scenes.

Mostly for JB and Kaitlyn, I've seen their explosions scenes quite often or Kaitlyn fighting Skugs in the quarry.
ShadowJoker is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 01:02 AM #6
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Coincidentally, it's Jesse's 38th birthday today.

Happy happy, Herndon!
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 01:16 AM #7
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

Happy birthday, Sirstack! Thanks for all the hard work we've put into Morphylogeny!
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 05:56 AM #8
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

Sirstack is one of the most valuable assets to the community. Not just because of Morphylogeny, but also his archive of Ranger scripts and then all his clips and promos on YouTube too.
big smile is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 04:27 PM #9
> SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay
SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay

Churlyryan wrote: View Post

I wanted to make this thread so there's some sort of discussion and exposure of the site, if anyone was still interested.
Thanks. I've never gotten much feedback on the site, so any attention is good attention.

toejammer wrote: View Post

but what i credit more is the way he has shown what parts of sentai the footage has come from and what parts are original.
I don't really do much of identifying original footage. Not as much as I'd like to. I know there's another site that seems to exist just to say "this is Sentai and this is original" (Rangerarchive) but it does a lot of guessing instead of giving solid answers backed by research (I don't rest until I identify a shot. There's still two shots from MMPR I could never find that still haunt me to this day, despite both most likely being non-Sentai stock). Sodders still did it best.

Would you believe I took about 3/4s of the pictures for the first ep of VRT back in 2012? I'm about 75% finished with analyzing the first episode now. I'd hoped to be done with it in time for my birthday since I usually like to post an update then, but jury duty got in the way of that. I haven't even begun on DinoThunder but that'll be a cakewalk compared to getting VRT up and running: the very first shot of non-original footage in the first ep of VRT is neither from Metalder, nor Spielban. I looked through all 38 and 44 eps of each, twice, and can't find it (it's a rather filmic sunset/rise used for the title shot). It might be unoriginal stock purchased from some random film company (as MMPR editor Adi once told me they sometimes used) or it might be from a very unlikely Toei production (like maybe Bioman? The MMPR Pilot dipped into that well, after all).

AngieYaz wrote: View Post

Really love his work! I've used some of his screencaps for my revisited episode articles. =D
What's funny is that I made the pics on the site small for two reasons: 1) to save bandwidth, and 2) so people wouldn't want to steal them. Yet people link to the pics all the time on Pinterest and forums. Considering I try to take the best shot for each one (I never just randomly grab a screen shot and move on, I spend way too much time on them), it is a compliment so, I'm glad to be of help.

ShadowJoker wrote: View Post

Lucky for him, VR Troopers reuses a lot of stock footage...I mean alot. I'm not even talking about the vehicle scenes.
Metalder and Spielban reuse their own footage a ton. I can't help but think this only encouraged VRT's crew to do the same. Still, I'm looking forward to figuring out what episodes of each Metal Hero show didn't get used. Useless Morphylogeny fact: Dairanger #7, I think it was, is the first Sentai episode to never be used at all for PR.

Ankh Primo wrote: View Post

Happy happy, Herndon!
Thank you!

Spider-Phoenix wrote: View Post

Happy birthday, Sirstack! Thanks for all the hard work we've put into Morphylogeny!
Thank you. I spend hours on each episode (I've been tempted to do a vlog detailing the process that goes into analyzing an episode) so I appreciate the kind words.

big smile wrote: View Post

Sirstack is one of the most valuable assets to the community. Not just because of Morphylogeny, but also his archive of Ranger scripts and then all his clips and promos on YouTube too.
I have one more trick of my sleeve. A very high ranking source with the show has offered to help provide me with the information that will reveal the exact filming order of MMPR season 1. It's nothing world breaking, but it's something that is a mystery I've always wanted solved (neither airing nor production order matches up to what little we know about the details behind the filming of the earliest days.)
Old February 23rd, 2018, 11:42 AM #10
> Quasar Fire
Power Ranger

Quasar Fire
Power Ranger

SirStack wrote: View Post

There's still two shots from MMPR I could never find that still haunt me to this day, despite both most likely being non-Sentai stock
A belated happy birthday then! Which ones were those again?
Quasar Fire is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 11:58 AM #11
> SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay
SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay

Quasar Fire wrote: View Post

Which ones were those again?
A bright explosion shot from "Foul Play in the Sky" when Snizzard is being created

and a static exterior of Earth from "A Friend in Need, Part I" (reused later on in season 3).

Old February 23rd, 2018, 03:03 PM #12
> Churlyryan
Rabbit Hole Digger

Churlyryan
Rabbit Hole Digger

Please take your time with VR Troopers, you know how long I've been patiently waiting.

I'm a real sucker for moments when Asian people happen to make it to our screens, and not to really say that they were everywhere, but the Wrestler Dudes from Metalder have a lot more appearances on VR Troopers than they do on the proper show. Same with the secretaries.

And I've seen the robot dog at least once if only for a split-second.

And I've only seen five total episodes of Metalder and my God, someone give me an official American release. This is absolute gold. Its dramatic, and despairing, and cry inducing. The scene of the Professor bringing life to Tsurugi Ryuseii hits so many marks.

I watch the first episode on my iPad all the time after work at the bar :p
Churlyryan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 04:31 PM #13
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Morphylogeny is a great site, I love looking up random episodes and seeing where exactly the footage came from, it's very informative and I appreciate all the effort that goes into it, it was there that I learned Zyu 1.5 was a thing.

I also really liked visiting his Power Rangers Spoiler Warnings back in the day, it was one of the first sources I found that listed which sentai episodes were the basis for PR, it was very helpful when I started getting into sentai.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 04:47 PM #14
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

Firstly, happy belated birthday!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled post...

SirStack wrote: View Post

Would you believe I took about 3/4s of the pictures for the first ep of VRT back in 2012?
I remember you mentioning tackling VRT a long time ago, now that you mention it.

I'm about 75% finished with analyzing the first episode now. I'd hoped to be done with it in time for my birthday since I usually like to post an update then, but jury duty got in the way of that. I haven't even begun on DinoThunder but that'll be a cakewalk compared to getting VRT up and running: the very first shot of non-original footage in the first ep of VRT is neither from Metalder, nor Spielban. I looked through all 38 and 44 eps of each, twice, and can't find it (it's a rather filmic sunset/rise used for the title shot). It might be unoriginal stock purchased from some random film company (as MMPR editor Adi once told me they sometimes used) or it might be from a very unlikely Toei production (like maybe Bioman? The MMPR Pilot dipped into that well, after all).
On a random sidebar: Sweet Valley High 1x07 (I think... the episode's called "Uh-Oh Seven," however, I'm not sure now if it's the 7th episode overall or not, but it's definitely in the first season) likely uses some of the Metal Hero footage for when 'Freeplay' plays his game and blows up the country of Suvlakia. Might be fun to note that as an aside if/when you get to whichever VRT episode used it first.

When you finally finish episode 1, it should be interesting to see just how many episodes were diced together to produce it. I know some of the Season 1 MMPR episodes used upwards of a dozen episodes (maybe more?), so I imagine VRT is probably at that same level, if not worse.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 06:00 PM #15
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

That's actually episode 10.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._High_episodes
Digifiend is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 06:10 AM #16
> SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay
SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay

BlackMystechRanger wrote: View Post

it was there that I learned Zyu 1.5 was a thing.
It was there Zyu 1.5 was revealed! Nobody in the fandom had ever even suggested there was originally shot Bandora and company footage made just for PR in those episodes until I started working on them. I thought I was crazy or PR had access to deleted scenes from Zyu, until Tommy Lawson discovered the contract for Zyu 1.5 around the same time.

I also really liked visiting his Power Rangers Spoiler Warnings back in the day, it was one of the first sources I found that listed which sentai episodes were the basis for PR, it was very helpful when I started getting into sentai.
That was always difficult. Back then in the newsgroup fandom, you couldn't find correctly translated titles very often. So I had to translate them myself (I never ended up learning Japanese, and most of my titles made Bablefish look comprehensible, but they served their purpose).

On a random sidebar: Sweet Valley High 1x07 (I think... the episode's called "Uh-Oh Seven," however, I'm not sure now if it's the 7th episode overall or not, but it's definitely in the first season) likely uses some of the Metal Hero footage for when 'Freeplay' plays his game and blows up the country of Suvlakia. Might be fun to note that as an aside if/when you get to whichever VRT episode used it first.
I had no clue, so sure, I'll mention it. I gotta go back and do Cybertron eventually, as well.

The almost-final count for ep one (not including opening or end credit stuff) of VRT is 14 Metalder eps and 4 Spielban.
Old February 24th, 2018, 07:02 AM #17
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

18 episodes plus that one opening scene... Wow, thatís a lot!

Also, the SVH bit in question: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xQbyvt16onM * The game part starts right before this, but the bulk of it is in that segment.
Old February 24th, 2018, 01:06 PM #18
> SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay
SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay

Also, the SVH bit in question: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xQbyvt16onM * The game part starts right before this, but the bulk of it is in that segment.
Gah! I recognize all of that from my run-throughs. A mix of Spielban and Metalder, I think, probably ep 1 of each. And they don't credit the source of it in the end credits, either. I bet Toei wouldn't have been too happy back then.

Here's a conundrum: The explosion in the opening credits of VRT has no single source. It has three. Two Metalder eps and one Spielban (and I suspect it originated in an earlier Metal Hero show). Which source do I credit for the opening? Spielban because it's the older of the two, or Metalder's second usage since it's exactly the length of the footage used in the opening (Spielban and Metalder's first use includes more of a green planet exploding at the start that the opening usage lacks).
Old February 24th, 2018, 08:03 PM #19
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

If it's the same length, then cite that one first, but put a footnote that it actually originated, in terms of VRT Metal Hero footage, in Spielban, and is the 'first use of this length' in Metalder #X.

Also, you caught all of that from just those few seconds of footage? Dang, you're good!
Old February 24th, 2018, 08:04 PM #20
> AngieYaz
Banned

AngieYaz
Banned

What's funny is that I made the pics on the site small for two reasons: 1) to save bandwidth, and 2) so people wouldn't want to steal them. Yet people link to the pics all the time on Pinterest and forums. Considering I try to take the best shot for each one (I never just randomly grab a screen shot and move on, I spend way too much time on them), it is a compliment so, I'm glad to be of help.
You're welcome.

Some of my favorites are your Zeo screenshots, especially for episode 31, trust in me, puppet blaster and song sung yellow. However, you forgot to explain how the color of Somnibot's glowing eyes changes during the riverbank scene. Dark pink one minute and lighter pink the next! =O It's like the effects department couldn't decide what color the glowing should be.

Last edited by AngieYaz; February 25th, 2018 at 01:34 PM.
AngieYaz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote