Home Menu

Menu

Old February 7th, 2019, 01:23 PM #41
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Fair enough. As mentioned before I have no horse in this race to begin with. I admit that I have a bad time by breaking into a tangent.

Last edited by Allio; February 7th, 2019 at 01:29 PM.
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 03:15 PM #42
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

I'll be honest, I can't take anyone defending this man's actions seriously in the first place when the evidence mounted against him - out of context or not - is tangible enough that it's a clear issue and his actual former co-workers are among the individuals that are speaking out against him. And it doesn't matter if the picture with the sixteen year old was taken out of context; it's still gross and inappropriate. Someone under the age of eighteen is not legally allowed to give consent to a person over the age of eighteen unless they are within four years of each other, which Vic and this girl were not. It's honestly not a question.

It mainly makes me sad that it's only coming out now as publicly as it is and with the backlash that it has because this means that for however long people have been aware of what Mignogna has been doing this, he's been taking advantage of that man more women and young girls in the first place. And that's disgusting.
Harpsikord is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old February 7th, 2019, 03:34 PM #43
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

Harpsikord wrote: View Post

It mainly makes me sad that it's only coming out now as publicly as it is and with the backlash that it has because this means that for however long people have been aware of what Mignogna has been doing this, he's been taking advantage of that man more women and young girls in the first place. And that's disgusting.
And the thing is, Vic's history's been an open secret. This shit's been talked about since 2004, and still nothing's been done 'til now. Imagine how many other people in the VA industry are like this but are better at covering their tracks. It's crazy. I'd like to think this is a paradigm shift, but more than likely it'll lead people into thinking the bucket's been emptied when it probably hasn't.

I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop on other VAs like Orion Acaba who've been accused of equally bad misconduct. But that's for another discussion, I suppose.
Cuchulainn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 04:16 PM #44
> MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

The Vic defenders on youtube are getting hilariously bad, and won't even retain the possibility that these may be true. All the people I know that are fans of Vic immediately jumped the wagon and said all the accusations are false because they met him, he was nice and didn't do anything. Ted Bundy was apparently nice to people, and didn't kill everyone he met either. Different situation, yeah but just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it didn't happen to others.

I've met a lot of famous guys at cons, and my personal experience was pleasant, but I'm not immediately gonna defend them if something like this comes up. My experience is gonna be different than everyone else's.

It also doesn't help Vic's case when people who've worked with him have said similar things. There's a lot more evidence pointing to the possibility he did these things then to ones saying he didn't.
MMPR-TheGreenRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old February 7th, 2019, 04:22 PM #45
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

People are bad. More news at 11. Kidding.
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 05:39 PM #46
> kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

MMPR-TheGreenRanger wrote: View Post

It also doesn't help Vic's case when people who've worked with him have said similar things. There's a lot more evidence pointing to the possibility he did these things then to ones saying he didn't.
Testimony can only go so far with these folks. He'd have to record the deed, showcasing two forms of Government I.D., and the con staff and VA alumni are present in the same room. And people still won't believe these allegations.

Last edited by kibapower; February 7th, 2019 at 11:31 PM.
kibapower is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 05:52 PM #47
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

And the thing is, Vic's history's been an open secret. This shit's been talked about since 2004, and still nothing's been done 'til now.
Good lord, he's the R. Kelly of anime
BlueMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 05:58 PM #48
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

BlueMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Good lord, he's the R. Kelly of anime
We really should refrain from that kind of connotation.

While his conduct is horrible, it's nothing CLOSE to what R. Kelly has been tried for.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 06:01 PM #49
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

The comparison was more in regards to them both doing these things for years, everyone knowing that they've been doing these things for years, and nobody doing anything about it until recently
BlueMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 10:39 PM #50
> PR Master
It's a kind of magic!

PR Master
It's a kind of magic!

RitoRevolto wrote: View Post

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...gnogna/.142212

Fans have accused him of homophobia, rudeness and unwanted physical advances on female con-goers. The article includes photographic evidence, including pictures of such physical incidents, a photo of his phone number in someone's diary and chat screenshots, as well as audio of a group phone call with Mignogna.
At least there is evidence this time...
PR Master is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 11:17 PM #51
> Veteran Ranger
Let's Ride

Veteran Ranger
Let's Ride

I mentioned it in another thread, but I've met Vic and I have firsthand experience with him.

I got to meet him at Anime Expo 2008 when the event wasn't as crowded as it is now. My friend and I were walking from one panel to another and I, being a big fan of voice actors, recognized him as he was walking by. I called out his name and he took a few minutes to stop and talk to us, but he was incredibly creepy. At first, I thought it might have been me as I wasn't very good with people getting (physically) close to me at the time, but he was standing far too close to us. He kept touching our arms and shoulders, usually while also making eye contact.

My friend and I were both 16 at the time, and we were massive fans of Edward Elric and Fullmetal Alchemist, but we both felt far more uncomfortable than starstruck afterward. Based on that one experience, I can't help but believe that most of these accusations are true.
Veteran Ranger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 12:04 AM #52
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

MutekiDragon wrote: View Post

This. The guy's livelihood is on the line.
Let's clarify a few things:

The post you quoted is practically the opposite of your message, so "This" makes no sense.

Vic Morgana is not the victim. The people he harassed are the victims.

This isn't about Vic's livelihood. It's about people whose voices were not heard previously, now coming forward. Unless you believe this is some massive conspiracy, these are not people trying to ruin his life. His life has already been relatively successful, and if he did that on the (metaphorical) backs of others, some attention should be brought to that dark side.

I say this as a fan of his voice work, but really, given the extent of his actions, these allegations are rather damning, and someone needs to do something about it. If the response seems punitive, maybe it ought to be.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 06:00 AM #53
> Ninjasteel1987
Power Ranger

Ninjasteel1987
Power Ranger

No it isn't. Vic Mignogna is an experienced voice actor and songwriter and he will continue to get work even after this blows over. He is not an 18 year-old getting barred from the only job he has. Quit exaggerating.

Cool? That's not going to make the accusations levied against him by tons of people (including people in the industry) just disappear. This isn't grade school where you can negate bad behavior by pointing out the good things you did, too. He's being accused of things that have real-life negative consequences on other people and should be held accountable for them.
You are correct.
Ninjasteel1987 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 07:12 AM #54
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

MMPR-TheGreenRanger wrote: View Post

Oh, most of them know he did it. They just don't care. It's more important to them they get to stay in their bubble and pretend things aren't changing around them. No evidence will be enough because their interest in "facts and logic" is a complete falsehood.
Old February 8th, 2019, 09:44 AM #55
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

MutekiDragon wrote: View Post

This. The guy's livelihood is on the line.
well no. i'm not saying that either, there is a lot going on. it also doesnt help this has been going on for years. i'm just saying, something like an investigation needs to start asap and end this. whether that means he wins or loses the case.

I'll be honest, I can't take anyone defending this man's actions seriously in the first place when the evidence mounted against him - out of context or not - is tangible enough that it's a clear issue and his actual former co-workers are among the individuals that are speaking out against him. And it doesn't matter if the picture with the sixteen year old was taken out of context; it's still gross and inappropriate. Someone under the age of eighteen is not legally allowed to give consent to a person over the age of eighteen unless they are within four years of each other, which Vic and this girl were not. It's honestly not a question.

i'll be honest too, i dont know this guys history. i dont care much for dubs, most are not done right. i never saw fma dubbed, so i dont really care about the dub or that he was in it.

now what we've seen in terms of those photos in the beginning of the thread, majority were easily explained away. i get your disgust about that one kissing photo, but the mother consented. the daughter was fine with it, and obvi vic has no issues with it. in court that will be dismissed. the other photos were easily explained as taken out of context, except the one with his number in the girls book. that, taken along a lot of years of people talking about who he is as a person doesnt bode well at all. you can be disgusted all you want but that photo of the kiss wont matter, it's everything else that will be investigated when and if it gets to a judge. lets hope this all ends fast, we are in the #metoo movement so i see this not going well for him. oh well.

Last edited by megagao; February 8th, 2019 at 09:44 AM.
megagao is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 10:04 AM #56
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

megagao wrote: View Post

now what we've seen in terms of those photos in the beginning of the thread, majority were easily explained away. i get your disgust about that one kissing photo, but the mother consented. the daughter was fine with it, and obvi vic has no issues with it.
And people have explained that doesn't make any of it okay. Parents can and do allow their children to be in situations they shouldn't have. A child's consent can't be treated like the consent of an adult because they're young and easily manipulated. The whole crux of why Vic kissing his teenage fans is bad is because this is how lots of teenagers fall into being groomed by adults. There's a reason a lot of fans have said they didn't think much of Vic hugging/kissing them when it happened but find it disturbing in hindsight.

megagao wrote:
in court that will be dismissed. you can be disgusted all you want but that photo of the kiss wont matter, it's everything else that will be investigated when and if it gets to a judge.
I don't know why the court viability of these accusations keep being brought up. People aren't trying to get Vic put behind bars. They know these examples can't be used. What's happening here is a public service announcement saying "This guy has a history of being creepy and not understanding boundaries. Steer clear." and companies are responding in kind to it. That's it.
Old February 8th, 2019, 12:23 PM #57
> MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

And people have explained that doesn't make any of it okay. Parents can and do allow their children to be in situations they shouldn't have. A child's consent can't be treated like the consent of an adult because they're young and easily manipulated.
Even if they could legally consent, you're still stuck with a situation where a 56 year old is asking young girls if he could kiss them. That really doesn't make things any better.
MMPR-TheGreenRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 12:33 PM #58
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

megagao wrote: View Post

in court that will be dismissed.
This isn't a legal issue. His conduct does not have be "proven".

One account of a guy being an asshole is a valid argument. Several independent accounts means enough is enough.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 12:44 PM #59
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

The same people defending Mignogna are the same ones that defended Kevin Spacey and then a year later Spacey was basically running around proud of the fact that he sexually assaulted a teenage boy and got ousted from Hollywood.

Harpsikord is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 01:06 PM #60
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

The same people defending Mignogna are the same ones that defended Kevin Spacey and then a year later Spacey was basically running around proud of the fact that he sexually assaulted a teenage boy and got ousted from Hollywood.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b066...itemid=3536423
They (and Mignogna) are certainly as good as Kevin Spacey at appreciating the seriousness of what is alleged. Spacey's still hanging around my fair city with a cap that says "Retired since 2017" and sitting in his agent's waterfront condo watching movies he was in and news reports about him. What a sad fucking existence.
RitoRevolto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote