RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #321
The No More Hero
Power Ranger

I like how Keiichiro's hotbloodedness comes off so far. It's not the same "I'M AN ANIME PROTAGONIST!" hotbloodedness, and how his team is competent enough to back him up, instead of being on the sideline, shrugging, and going "That's our leader" to the camera.
The No More Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM   #322
LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer

I get major Zenigata vibes from him thus far, which I’m down with. Although I really hope the Patorangers start to get some more focus.
LazerwolfX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #323
zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

Timeline15 wrote: View Post

Really like the opening sequence. Faster paced and doesn't hold on Mecha shots for ages, and has a bit more symbolism than usual, making it feel a bit more Kamen rider-y. The bit where they all walk past each other reminds me of that bit at the start of Ryuki's opening too.

Also, I'm even more sure now that Kogure's not to be trusted.
Yeah, the opening shots -- while I still think Kyuranger hypes it for me more (LUCKYSTAR was just great) -- does remind me when I saw clips of Kamen Rider openings. Mysteries abound, and there is tension in every angle. The scene were Kogure threw pages from the Lupin Collection book and we see agony of the three Lupinrangers on ice was (no pun intended) chilling. That being said, I agree one of the best parts have to be Hilltop and Jim being goofy (and a good foil to the serious Keiichiro sort of).
zjranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #324
MegaBlue
That @iNicoNation Guy

Regarding the transformations, doesn't it seem like the Lupinrangers' ones are flashier and had more thought put into them than the Patrangers' ones? I thought ep1's insta-morph for the Patrangers was just that, and the actual one would have more gusto to it. Turns out that the actual sequence is literally the same as we saw in ep1, but with backgrounds and text overlays.

It's going to be interesting to see how the dueling Ranger factions plays out, especially if they have to join forces near the end of the series. That being said, after this episode, I can't see it being made into a Power Rangers season. Then again, with what's been happening lately, anything's possible.
MegaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM   #325
eternalstarlight
SentaiRanger

I do hope the good cgi sticks around for more than 5 episodes, including the finale. That case scene was amazing. I’m glad also that they expanded from the 1st person camera angle from kyuranger. If it weren’t for the numerical order, I’d think kyuranger was the anniversary season and that lvp is the equivalent of go-busters in terms of trying new stuff.
eternalstarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM   #326
zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

MegaBlue wrote: View Post

It's going to be interesting to see how the dueling Ranger factions plays out, especially if they have to join forces near the end of the series. That being said, after this episode, I can't see it being made into a Power Rangers season. Then again, with what's been happening lately, anything's possible.
To tell the truth with how Hasbro seemingly is open for a bit edgy PR season, I actually think they may consider this before Kyuranger (but would still adapt it, eventually) and I think they will relish with the "heroes rivalry" angle it gives.
zjranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM   #327
SuperStar
Power Ranger

zjranger wrote: View Post

To tell the truth with how Hasbro seemingly is open for a bit edgy PR season, I actually think they may consider this before Kyuranger (but would still adapt it, eventually) and I think they will relish with the "heroes rivalry" angle it gives.
I just realized LupinPato can be seen as a defusion of Gobusters' themes. Lupinrangers have Gobuster's stealth, whereas the Patrangers have the high tech enforcement. What I'm saying is I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to adapt LupinPato as a direct sequel to Beast Morphers.
SuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #328
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

So... that's a "police union"?

It's nice that, even though this is set up as a VS, the show didn't go the obvious route of pairing the teams by the usual gender or Ranger color matches. But there's still enough one-sided interaction in having the thieves keep an eye on their police counterparts to understand their motivations. Especially since by fate or whatever, they're bound to keep running into each other. It's also nice that there's a small sense of cooperation, albeit indirectly, that contrasts with each team's teamwork, thematically embodied by the combinings of the episode.
timegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #329
Xenotome
They Call Her Cameroon

MegaBlue wrote: View Post

That being said, after this episode, I can't see it being made into a Power Rangers season. Then again, with what's been happening lately, anything's possible.
Oh I definitely can. It's all about context and how they frame the Lupinranger. Even here they're not framing them as "Thieves", they just look the part. They're stopping dangerous artifacts from being used by inter-dimensional hell beasts with the end goal of them getting their loved ones back. It's not like they're street thieves that were given powers to do super thieving. They're essentially a Robin Hood type situation. And with what they're playing here I'm sure Hasbro will be salivating.
Xenotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:22 AM   #330
Shimizu_Akira
Real Men use Fairies

I'm loving thise series so far. Lets start with the OP..the OP scenes are cool, I love the song and visual cues and just on the OP alone they already sprinkle on some mystery with that fedora lone gangler also I don't trust Kogure for one bit as his OP scene has a very grim and shady aura to it.

Still I feel Lupins get the meat and potatoes of the story while the Pats get the salad. I feel that this earlier arc they gonna focus heavily onto Lupins side of the story with the a healthy sprinkle of Pats story.

Also I do think they kinda heavily favored Lupin as the story, plot, items and designs are mostly related to the Lupin side, like their arsenals are from Lupin collection, the Lupin got a personal vendetta against the gangler, their dial fighters get additional function to open locks and their belt buckles are grappling hooks etc while the Pats are just a police team that want to uphold the justice which seems a bit generic and less personal granted we only just in with 2 episodes so the Pats may have something personal that ties with the gangler but so far we can't relate much to the Pats compared to the Lupins.

They also play a duality within the team itself with Lupins having a cheery happy go lucky no worries exterior but hiding a sad dark story inside (I wonder if the ice encased victims are dead or transported to other realms?) while the Pats having a serious exterior but in actuality are more of a comedic relief team like Keiichiro hotblooded gag, Sakuya is a klutz, and Tsukasa apparent weakness to plush toys.

I love Pats full henshin, their sequence are also equally flashy, love the necktie flip materializing and I liked that the sholder and arms armor are not for show as it can deflect gun shots.As for the battle I find it funny how the Pats lined the porderman up for easy disposal, and their battle style are more coordinated with more emphasis on disarming and straight strikes which is a great contrast to Lupins manic twirl and dodges with opportunist strikes.

As for the mechas, I love it, I don't care for the heavy reliance on CG the scenes are enjoyable to watch the pursuit scene where each mechas showcase their battle modes is awesome and the LupinKaiser's battle is awesome and fast paced. I love the cockpit designs and the scene where the Lupins transported to the main Kaiser cockpit, I hope the Pats get the similar scene too next episode.

Speaking of Ugo must be hella weird for Tsukasa sharing bod with 2 of the guys lol. Also I have to say I'm really enjoying the background music this season from the sexy gangler theme, the jazzy Lupin theme and the upbeat Pat theme all of them are very good.

I wonder in Japan what teams do they favored the most I know here are mostly team Lupins, it is hard not to like the Lupins as they are mainly being presented to be veŕy rootable and relateable. Also I feel the Lupins are the representation of the New School sentai while the Pats represent the Old school sentai.

I'm team Pat, (mostly team 3gou) but Lupins really captured my heart. Can't wait for more.

Last edited by Shimizu_Akira; Today at 02:28 AM.
Shimizu_Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:38 AM   #331
⚡Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

Just watched ep 2 subbed. Man, that was even better than the premiere.

The opening sequence was nice. It felt like a mixture or regular Sentai opening, the cast-name shots felt quite retro, and some shots quite Kamen Rider-esque.

The mecha chase scene at the beginning was awesome. We don't see something like that at quite that degree. It was refreshing and well done.

Character-wise, I'm really liking both teams so far, with the Lupins just ahead, but that may be because we've seen more of them and had more of an insight on their backstory. It was quite, for the lack of a better term, chilling to see what happened in the past.
As Setherz said on the last page, I liked how both Reds reacted to eachother during the monster battle, how it wasn't just "Gotta beat them!" and instead Lupin Red understood why the Patrangers were fighting and left them to it, and Patren #1 knew that the job of defeating the monster was more important what chasing down the Lupins.

I liked the PatMegaBou. I didn't expect them to have the power to actually take control. I just thought they'd use the megaphone mode just as usual. I was impressed, although I don't expect them to really use that function much since it's pretty OP.

Patren Ugo was fun. I didn't think it would appear quite so early into the season. Surprisingly powerful, and I'm glad that they weren't automatically used to it, and I liked the Lupins reaction to their ineptitude. The in-body squabbling gave me Den-O vibes and I like that, lol.

The Lupinkaiser transformation was cool. I really liked the glowing wireframes projected in place of where there mecha should be docked. The shots of the Rangers transforming their cockpit seat was also really cool.
Again, another great CG sequence for the robo battle. Very dynamic and exciting. There were some really nice details like the glass in the surrounding buildings shattering each time they used the boosters. That's gonna cost a lot for the city to fix, as well as the bridge/road that the Patrangers broke at the beginning, lol. Of course, I don't expect that quality all season, but I really enjoyed it here. It was very well directed and edited.

Good Striker is interesting. I wonder how the dynamic of going between the two teams is going to go. I like him in his mecha form but his puppet form? Not so much right now. Anyway, he kinda reminds of Tatsulot from Kiva.

A couple of curiosities. Did they change the effects crew this year? I know that the first couple of eps of a season are usually a bit more impressive, but the chase and robo battle felt a lot more than that, as if it was by a different team entirely, due to the way it was directed, edited and all the details.
I'm also really curious what cameras they use for all those crazy fight shots this episode and in the premiere. It feels like a drone but at times it feels like it's on wires or a rod or something. However they do it, I enjoy it.
Morgan Lamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:04 AM   #332
GeminiSparkSP
Power Ranger

Watched episode 2, and I gotta say, man that was some dark stuff with the thieves' backstory. Not sure how to feel about the megazord battle. On one hand, the CG and fight sequence is good, but on the other hand, there's just something about bulky robot suits that work.

Also, about the end and hook. Inb4 the cops actually just want to eat at the café instead of busting down the thieves. There's no way they'll break the dynamic this early.
GeminiSparkSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:19 AM   #333
Fyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

Did the intro just spoil that the two teams eventually start working together, or am I imagining it? (Blue and Pink were together fighting some footsoldiers back to back in one scene)

Episode 2 was better than the first one, that much I'll say. It still hasn't hooked me. It still feels more like Lupinranger rather than Lupinranger vs Patranger.

The Patrangers are being portrayed as comic relief rather than a competing team. I mean, they're police officers, but they destroyed a bridge just to let red jump into the air after lupinred? Maybe they'll get a focus episode soon that doesn't chalk them up to comic relief/cleanup. :/

Damn. That Lupinranger backstory is fucked up. But part of me thinks that the Ganglers didn't do it, it was the person who hired them to steal back the collection in order to blackmail them.

...I like the Patranger suits better after seeing the henshin. I had never noticed they were police hats. I thought it was just the badge shape. :/ Didn't notice the ties either. Like, I think I legitimately like the Patranger suits now. I still can't get over the fact the Lupinranger suits are just the Timeranger suits with minor tweaks though. :/

I will say, I love the little detail that the combination locks on the Lupinranger's mecha are designed to look like tophats.

PatrenUgo is fucking creepy. I thought it was just Green/Pink lending Red their powers, but they mother fucking fuse together. It does make me realize how well pink looks on a male's suit though.

Seeing it in show, I like Lupin Kaiser. The toys looked terrible, but it looks great in action. Though they really REALLY need to tone down the CGI.

This is going to sound so shallow as fuck, but is the Red Patranger's face like... smooshed, or am I crazy? He reminds me of a smushy face cat.

]

And does anyone else keep wanting to type the name as "Lupinger"?

...is it bad I 100% don't expect this to be adapted to Power Rangers because of the public's view of the police in America nowadays? Won't go further into that to avoid politics, but I just can't see this ever being adapted with society the way it is now.

All in all, I already like this series more than I liked Kyuranger, even if I'm still not sold on it.
Fyntabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:37 AM   #334
SuperStar
Power Ranger

Patren#1 really remind me of Otta from Drive. Like, a lot.
SuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:31 AM   #335
tavionjackson
Power Ranger

I find this show very interesting. The story, the team motives, etc but I haven’t fully gotten into it yet. Maybe it’ll take a few more episode because two teams are involved. As of right now, I’m just enjoying the visuals. Maybe when we get further into the plot, I’ll focus in on it more because it’s only been two episodes.
tavionjackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:17 AM   #336
Champ
Oushi Black!

Hmmm. So, I finished watching episode 2 and I thought it wad pretty good. Patoranger's transformstion sequence and their role call were interesting, but I actually prefer Lupinranger's better.

One thing about this show, I wonder if Kogure and Hilltop secretly working together without Rangers know....

This show is going to be very interesting this year.
Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:53 AM   #337
Guardian Legend
Power Ranger

I'm very much digging this season so far. I can also say that I'm team Pato all the way. The Lupin Rangers aren't as bada** as they're made out to be, in my opinion. Nobody beats the Gokaigers in that category...maybe I'm just biased?

Speaking of other teams, who actually thinks we'll get a Pat/Deka crossover?
Guardian Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:07 AM   #338
The Golden Witch
Has a Fever

Did the intro just spoil that the two teams eventually start working together, or am I imagining it? (Blue and Pink were together fighting some footsoldiers back to back in one scene)
The scene in question has the teams tossing the Lupin collection piece to another member of their team while fighting the footsoldiers. So while they're fighting the footsoldiers together, they are still fighting each other over the Lupin collection piece. It's really well done and quick.

As for me, I like the Patranger a little more. I prefer their suits and transformation sequence, and the balance they bring to the show is good. While they have more comedic moments, I wouldn't say they're the comic relief. And while I don't think they've been overshadowed, I think the next few episodes will focus a little more on them.

Loving all of the characters so far.
The Golden Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:11 AM   #339
Kayube
Midoranger

I'd actually be more interested in seeing a teamup with Kamen Rider Drive. But that's probably not going to happen since they're probably teaming up with Build instead.
Kayube is online now   Reply With Quote