Home Menu

Menu

Old August 24th, 2017, 12:00 PM #81
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Spoony Spoonerson wrote: View Post

Really? It's been a while since I saw the first season of Daredevil, I forget. It just seemed strange with the amount of time dedicated to people not believing Danny Rand has "chi", when an ancient woman is quite literally using the force.
Actually, I don't know about as far back as Daredevil.

First time I recall her using her powers was in Iron Fist s1. Meaning that out of the Defenders gathered, Danny was the only one who witnessed her using those powers.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 12:02 PM #82
> The Return Of...
VIP Rider

The Return Of...
VIP Rider

tasti man LH wrote: View Post

Actually, I don't know about as far back as Daredevil.

First time I recall her using her powers was in Iron Fist s1. Meaning that out of the Defenders gathered, Danny was the only one who witnessed her using those powers.
you sure i swore she used her powers in Darevdevil.
The Return Of... is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 04:09 PM #83
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

I'm seeing people criticising the choreography, especially pertaining to Danny Rand.

My personal take is, Iron Fist needs to wear the costume to have truly good fight scenes.

Look at Daredevil, without question has the best fights. Daredevil is the only costumed hero in the Netflix shows to wear a mask, meaning while Charlie Cox obviously does a lot of work, any time he's hitting that triple spin kick, that's a stuntie. Danny Rand has his face exposed the entire time, meaning they either have to use a stuntie and it looks awful, or they're stuck with whatever Finn Jones is able to do. I feel sorry for the guy, he's not a martial artist, and by all accounts he had very little time to prepare for the show. Giving him a mask would let some more experienced hands do the heavy lifting and let his fights actually flourish.
Spoony Spoonerson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:24 PM #84
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Spoony Spoonerson wrote: View Post

Really? It's been a while since I saw the first season of Daredevil, I forget.
Yeah, I'm sure that Daredevil confronted Madam Gao at one point and she used some crazy ninja power to disappear or escape. I don't remember if that was s1 or s2, but either way, it would've been before "The Defenders".
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 01:02 PM #85
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Defenders was the least watched of all the Netflix Marvel premiers

https://www.newsarama.com/36499-defe...-premiere.html
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 01:09 PM #86
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

I feel like that might be partly because it has less episodes, but not sure.
GalaxyRed is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:27 PM #87
> ⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

I'm sure it has nothing to do with fewer episodes. "Stranger Things" has fewer episodes and is one of Netflix's biggest success stories, and people complain all the time about the Marvel shows being longer than they should for the amount of plot they offer.

If anything is to blame, it's the effect of "Iron Fist" and cumulative restlessness from MCU TV in general. By the time it had premiered, despite the built-up excitement in previous years, it dropped into a kind of "so what" atmosphere and wasn't bold enough when it finally arrived.
Multiple Man is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 09:34 AM #88
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

That and early critic reviews were.. unnecessarily harsh. Like it seemed like people treated the first four episodes like they were Iron Fist bad. Then i actually watched them and it was way better than I expected.

Also, the most likely answer? Not even has seen every other Netflix Marvel show so they're waiting until then to watch Defenders. I've seen a ton of people on boards and FB comments say they want to see it but haven't done the prep work.
Miraculous Bikkun is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:07 AM #89
> DrGreenEvil
The Good Doctor

DrGreenEvil
The Good Doctor

Miraculous Bikkun wrote: View Post

I've seen a ton of people on boards and FB comments say they want to see it but haven't done the prep work.
Amateurs!!
I watched Luke Cage in a week and Iron Fist in 3-4 days to be ready for Defenders.
Which I then watched in a day and half or so!

Do these people not know how to binge properly?!!
Once again, Amateurs!!
DrGreenEvil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:14 AM #90
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

DrGreenEvil wrote: View Post

Amateurs!!
I watched Luke Cage in a week and Iron Fist in 3-4 days to be ready for Defenders.
Which I then watched in a day and half or so!

Do these people not know how to binge properly?!!
Once again, Amateurs!!
I... I legitimately can't tell if you're being condescending as a joke or not.
Miraculous Bikkun is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 11:32 AM #91
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

That and early critic reviews were.. unnecessarily harsh. Like it seemed like people treated the first four episodes like they were Iron Fist bad. Then i actually watched them and it was way better than I expected.
Really? Because my corner of the internet was the exact opposite.

Reviews I saw LOVED the first half of Defenders. With only common point of criticism being that it was a little slow to get all four of our heroes together.

But conversely, the second half was considered to be the weakest part of the show, in the reviews I've seen.

Also, the most likely answer? Not even has seen every other Netflix Marvel show so they're waiting until then to watch Defenders. I've seen a ton of people on boards and FB comments say they want to see it but haven't done the prep work.
Yeah the common story I keep hearing is:

-People not finishing the second half of Luke Cage, which probably has to do with the shift in primary antagonist from Cottonmouth to Diamondback.

-Not wanting to watch Iron Fist at all due to the negative reviews, bad press, and bad word-of-mouth.
Old September 21st, 2017, 05:49 PM #92
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

I can't help but think part of that is simply due to when it was released and how these things are binge in a day events right now. It just seems like it wasn't the right season for bingeathons and as such is being slowly consumed.

That's the thing about how this kind of data is collected, it's based mostly on the Bingeathon approach, not pieced out viewing.

That and early critic reviews were.. unnecessarily harsh. Like it seemed like people treated the first four episodes like they were Iron Fist bad.
There seems to be an unspoken desire amongst specialized review sites for Marvel to have a failure. Like they need something to flop to be worth reporting on, just constant good shows and films isn't the kind of negative clickbait they want. They build up to new shows as "Will this finally be Marvel's flop?" and then "Oh it wasn't so bad after all" when it releases. An artificial atmosphere of negativity. Whereas a grouped review site like rotten tomatoes tends to be more of a genuine reaction to what they see, good or bad.

This news of "lower views" is like catnip and some of them are freaking out as if this justifies their negative bias method for future reviews.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 04:10 PM #93
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Finally got to seeing Defenders. I thought it was a lot of fun. Obviously wasn't reading things since it premiered since I wasn't going to be seeing it till now, but it's a shame it got such harsh treatment. Watching them come together, and not only the Four but the secondary characters intersecting all through the beginning I thought was fun and felt more organic. Plus it was just fun to watch them all. I mean yes, the heroes are the stars and all but at least for me personally I enjoy the characters around them so it felt only natural they would be involved. Plus Defenders is the next chapter to basically all these stories and not just about them getting together and fighting some bad guys, but continuing the stories of their lives.

Seeing how Jessica is coping(or really not coping) with the fallout of her events, seeing Matt with Foggy and Karen was nice especially cause it's been awhile since S2 at least for me, so seeing their fallout was good. Luke and Danny were less...not interesting but less impactful since we all knew Luke would be getting out and Danny's just continued basically from where his series just left off, but still nice.

Overall I enjoyed it. Sigourney Weaver was fun to watch, and sure she didn't do any fighting or anything but that really wasn't the role. She still had great presence throughout. I admit, I was a bit surprised by her death right at the climax. I also assumed Elektra was playing the rest and Alexandra would resurface at the end for a twist but...apparently not. Oh well. I did find it odd that Elektra suddenly went so willingly dark but hey, whatever it still played out well.

And I enjoyed watching the four come together, clash, come back together, all that. It was fun to watch. I enjoyed how Luke comes back to Claire's and as soon as he mentions a guy with a glowing fist she goes straight for the phone. There were just some fun moments.

I definitely agree with my friends, Defenders did enhance Danny's character. But then I didn't dislike Iron Fist like others did. I mean I enjoyed Danny more as the character than the story as a whole in Iron Fist, but I still enjoyed it. But I did like Danny in Defenders, though part of me was a bit bummed he became the damsel in distress of sorts towards the end but it made sense and it's not like he didn't kick butt or anything.

It makes me really curious to see where the shows go from here. Definitely Jessica Jones since that's been my fav series. But also wondering about Daredevil, and yeah what happened to save his ass and how it might tie into whatever S3 turns out to be. I mean Foggy has kind of accepted his desire to be Daredevil, though Karen on the other hand still doesn't care for it. And actually I really like that. Most of the time secondary characters/friends of the hero might be upset briefly but usually flip back to accepting it and all is well. She on the other hand at least for now still is just against the whole thing, and it's refreshing.

Then again we also don't know if Matt is really Matt. Maybe he's messed up in the head after all that, or suffers from amnesia or something. It'll be interesting to see how his return to life affects the others. And it's fun seeing all the characters form different bonds with the others. Well except Eka's Malcolm, though I enjoyed him but he didn't really connect with any of the others. But for the rest it was fun. Especially Colleen and Misty. It'll be nice to see that relationship continue in the future.

Oh, and it might make me a bad person but I admit when Misty got her arm chopped off I cheered. I know, bad me. I mean I don't know much about the character honestly, but I know she has the mechanical arm and so I've been wondering when that'll come about and sure enough we got the beginning of it. Overall I enjoyed it, had a solid story that really felt like a natural culmination of the four series, capping off that chapter. Good fight scenes, some fun humor, all good. I enjoyed at the climax when the three Defenders were heading for the building and Daredevil steps in in costume and Jessica's all, "There it is again." Just amusing.

Right! So who is Maggie? She's the name given at the end to let her know about Matt waking up. And earlier, can't remember when, there was a moment where I think Karen either got a call or called a Maggie Something. So I'm assuming she's someone known, but maybe not.
EDIT:
Nevermind, found it myself. So Sister Maggie is Matt's mother. That'll make for an interesting story in S3 then.

Last edited by Alitain; October 23rd, 2017 at 05:09 PM.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 02:35 PM #94
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

When Defenders came up in an interview, Krysten Ritter believes it's not likely that a Season 2 will happen.

Q: What did you make of the critical response to The Defenders?

A: Well, I think Jessica was pretty well received. People were excited to see her again, so that made us happy because Jessica is the next up. Yíknow, I had a great time doing The Defenders and honestly, it was such a good experience that I would even do it again. I donít think we are doing it again. It was never intentioned to do it again, but, you know, if I was given another opportunity, I would. My heart is with my show because of the subject matter and because of the great drama that we get to do and the personal issues that we explore. For me, that is more the type of content that I enjoy as a viewer and as a performer. My heart is in Jessica Jones, but I did have a great time doing The Defenders with the guys. We had a good time. It is what it is.
Source

Which is technically not out of the question since Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb also seemed hesitant at the idea of there being a second season. And this was WAY before any early reviews came out!
Old March 13th, 2018, 04:07 PM #95
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

I'm okay with that. I mean I really enjoyed the Defenders, but it's something that served a purpose. They built up the story through most of the series, and now that story has been told. I think a Defenders sequel shouldn't just be something expected after each show has a new season, but should be something they plan for and build up to if they want. Plus they obviously have no problem having the various characters show up in the other shows already, and sometimes that works better when it's just one or two others showing up for a legit reason than making up some big crisis to throw everyone together over and over.

Like if they had Kingpin return and somehow take over the Hand like in the comics, maybe have that be a Defenders worthy event, or something of that nature. But work for it, don't just do it to do something.
Old March 13th, 2018, 04:18 PM #96
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

If they do anther Defenders I do hope that it is a few years away. Give the shows their time to grow and then have a big team up again.
christopherjohn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 09:11 PM #97
> hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

Since so many were unimpressed with Iron Fist, it doesn't surprise me they wouldn't rush to tie him in again.
hasbro_primo is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 10:30 PM #98
> biotronx2000
Power Ranger

eBay
biotronx2000
Power Ranger

eBay

I liked the series overall, but was definitely hoping for more. And I totally agree that Iron Fist needs his dang costume
biotronx2000 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 02:10 PM #99
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Now Jeph Loeb is clarifying/pivoting his previous comments, saying that it's not without the realm of possibility of there ever being a Defenders S2.

Q: They will? Defenders was always billed as a miniseries, and it seems like itís not coming back for a second season-

A: No, all weíve ever said is that there are no plans right now [to do more]. It doesnít mean that itís off the table. And it doesnít mean that it even has to be with the original characters that were in the first Defenders.

Source
Old September 21st, 2018, 06:53 PM #100
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

I was pretty sure I read 'at this time' with previous statements anyways. Or maybe that's just how I interpreted that. No real point in closing the door permanently, but yeah just not something they're going to do like Avengers movies after every 'phase' of the Netflix shows.