Home Menu

Menu

Old November 20th, 2010, 09:33 PM #161
> Matt C
VIP Ranger

Matt C
VIP Ranger

christopherjohn wrote: View Post

Book 7 wasn't released till Winter 07 right? Anyway it was released that year which would put OotF being made before the final book was released.
Book 7 officially came out July 21, 2007. I received my copy on July 16, now that was a day to remember.

Book 7 coming out before Movie 5 had a lot of synergy. They didn't start shooting the sixth film until September 2007, however.
Matt C is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:29 AM #162
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

As much as I like the decision to split it into two parts, the pace is now interrupted due to the fact we know have to wait HALF A FREAKING YEAR. If it came out like in March or April, that would have been great. But I guess July is unofficially Potter month.

So I saw it, and I was thoroughly satisfied. Of course I knew not everything would be moved straight into the book, but it's nothing that I need to tear my hair over. Some of the original stuff they added in, like the beginning with Hermione, was a really touching moment. Watching that, I was thinking "Holy crap, the end really is nigh". Others...like that dance, was just WTF.

There was some stuff that I felt was a little too much (Ron destroying the locket), others where I felt they did an excellent job at telling (The Three Brothers). The end of the movie really got me on the edge, and the portion they decided to end it at was a good decision.

Of course my main beef now is the 8-month wait.
Xalfrea is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:34 AM #163
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

The DVD should hit shelves before July which would be good. I can't wait to see it when they show it at my Imax. Mine always takes 3-6 months later which drives the price down to 4 dollars a ticket.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:48 AM #164
> Z0RD0N
Power Ranger

Z0RD0N
Power Ranger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbN8qjvu82E
ill be catching up with rifftrax, before seeing it
Z0RD0N is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:05 AM #165
> Olorin Ranger
Imagine Breaker

Olorin Ranger
Imagine Breaker

I loved everything about the movie. Funny thing I was watching Merlin yesterday and harry melling aka dudley dursley was in it.
Olorin Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM #166
> Icon-UK
Accentuate the positive

Icon-UK
Accentuate the positive

Olorin Ranger wrote: View Post

I loved everything about the movie. Funny thing I was watching Merlin yesterday and harry melling aka dudley dursley was in it.
And was completely unrecognisable. I knew from the TV listings that he was someone who had been in Harry Potter, but I would not have been able to guess that this short, skinny lad had been Dudley in a month of Sundays.
Icon-UK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM #167
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

I just saw a picture of him. Jesus he looks nothing like he did. Good for him. I'm proud he lost the weight.
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:27 PM #168
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

tenchichan wrote: View Post

Dude, the next movie is going to be nothing BUT an epic fight scene.

Like really all that's left to do now is
-Break into Gringotts
-Go to the Leaky Cauldron
-Battle at Hogwarts

Even if they stretched the Gringotts stuff out to a solid 30 minutes of screentime that leaves roughly TWO HOURS for ALL of the Hogwarts stuff. That is going to be ONE EPIC BATTLE. I have a feeling it's going to be like a war movie or something. Saving Private Potter.

But also, that does include some more back story for Dumbledore and Snape and there's like a million things that happen at Hogwarts. Still should leave a good 40 min to an hour of fighting. This thing is going to be epic. There's no way it can't be.
They pretty much completely bypassed Dumbledore's history so they have the whole of it to do which'll take up time. So I'm hoping they don't screw it up too much and at least flash back and explain things when the kids meet Aberforth would be my guess.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:39 PM #169
> Matt C
VIP Ranger

Matt C
VIP Ranger

Quantum Wolf wrote: View Post

As much as I like the decision to split it into two parts, the pace is now interrupted due to the fact we know have to wait HALF A FREAKING YEAR. If it came out like in March or April, that would have been great. But I guess July is unofficially Potter month.
It was a big shoot for two separate films together, then add post-production for Part 1 during shooting for Part 2 -- it's pretty hectic. Of course, once David Yates finishes publicity for Part 1, he's going to lock himself and the editor in the editing suite for Part 2.

It usually takes six months for post-production. So a July 2011 release is just about right for Part Two. And the WB's not going to sit on it for eight months, like they did with HBP when they pushed it to July 2009 after completing it November 2008.

At least we don't have to wait an entire year, which is what the Twi-hards will go through for the 2-part Breaking Dawn. They'll be foaming at the mouth.
Old November 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM #170
> garfield15
The Anime Ranger

garfield15
The Anime Ranger

Loved the hell out of it. The Three Brothers story was my favorite part. Luckily, I make sure to re-read the books after I've seen the movie so that I don't have to worry about anything being taken out. And as usual, Snape had the best acting out of anybody.

(Did anybody see the trailer for Red Riding Hood. I was honestly thinking "no....no...this can't be *From the director of 'Twilight'* Oh my god it is! *sees title; dies laughing in his chair*")
garfield15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 07:38 PM #171
> RangerDude_SrsBlue
Power Ranger

RangerDude_SrsBlue
Power Ranger

I just came back from a screening a little earlier this afternoon. Other than a few nitpicky stuff here and there, I thought all in all the movie was probably one of the most accurate ones. Yes there were changes, some for the best. BTW some spoilers here if you haven't read the book or the movie.

Gotta say I loved them showing Hermione performing the spell on her parents, other than just her mentioning it and The Three Brothers or Deathly Hallows story, was perfect. I was in awe.

Few questions/nitpicks

I've read the book twice at this point but anyone know what was the purpose of that random nursery during the snake scene in Godric's Hollow?

Also any idea to why Wormtail didn't finish himself off like in the book? I feel like that is the only huge change that seems off.

Why wasn't Harry dressed up as Ron's Cousin at the wedding? Meh, it's rather minor really.

REALLY looking forward to Part II. Should be epic!
RangerDude_SrsBlue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 07:38 PM #172
> Matt C
VIP Ranger

Matt C
VIP Ranger

garfield15 wrote: View Post

(Did anybody see the trailer for Red Riding Hood. I was honestly thinking "no....no...this can't be *From the director of 'Twilight'* Oh my god it is! *sees title; dies laughing in his chair*")
Proof that Catherine Hardwicke will be forever known as the 'teen angst-romance' director or specifically, 'that Twilight director.'

At least Red Riding Hood has better actors and a cool period vibe going for it.
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:20 PM #173
> OujaStrike
King Snake

eBay
OujaStrike
King Snake

eBay

Just saw Harry Potter really good movie not great but good
OujaStrike is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:09 PM #174
> Shadowforce_71
VIP Football coach

Shadowforce_71
VIP Football coach

Anyone know of a good torrent of it?
Shadowforce_71 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:14 PM #175
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Shadowforce_71 wrote: View Post

Anyone know of a good torrent of it?
Why not watch it in theaters like everyone else? In my area there are pirated DVD's all over the place of the movie, yet the theaters are still jam packed.
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:05 AM #176
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Why not watch it in theaters like everyone else? In my area there are pirated DVD's all over the place of the movie, yet the theaters are still jam packed.
There can be a number of factors. You see he could live in an area that doesn't have a movie theater. Shocking but its happened I've lived in places where I had to travel a few hours to get to one.

However you should try to see in theaters. Its best viewed that way. I watched HBP on bootleg and turned it off after ten minutes cause its not worth it how the movies are filmed it doesn't show up well. So go to a theater if you can. If you can't your boned either way.
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:23 AM #177
> Shadowforce_71
VIP Football coach

Shadowforce_71
VIP Football coach

I have already seen it, I just wanted to rewatch it on a torrent. Is there a problem with that?
Shadowforce_71 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:34 AM #178
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Ohh...OK. My bad. Sorry for acting like a jerk.

Sorry, torrents aren't my forte.

I guess I'm to used to the fact that there are so many malls in my country, there is little to no problem to finding a theater. Not to mention that fact that

1. Regular tickets cost between 100-200 Philippine pesos, which is equivalent to 3 or 4 US$

2. A ticket is practically infinite for a day. You can watch a showing twice, thrice, as many times as you want for the day. Often I do so to watch early parts of the movie I missed, or catch any new trailers.
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:49 AM #179
> Sentai Master
Ippitsu Soujou!

Sentai Master
Ippitsu Soujou!

To its credit, “Hallows, part 1” is quite upfront about the fact that we are indeed Having done both preceding “Potter” films, and its mood is accordingly tense. The safety nets are gone this time, and the relentless threat our heroes must face this time around fosters a palpable sense that anything really can happen, and very often does in the worst way. It is a difficult story to carry, but the power trio of the film-Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson-all do so quite successfully, all the more impressive given that this time more so than any others they really are carrying the story. Watson in particular must be given kudos, turning in her best in a long series of excellent performances, making Hermione’s already-well written part in this story all the stronger. Radcliffe’s Harry and Grint’s Ron also get some strong moments, and the overall chemistry between all three, in whatever combination there is, has like a fine wine only improved with age. As for the look of the movie, we are in equally good hands. Having worked on both preceding entries, “Order of the Phoenix” and “Half-Blood Prince”, director David Yates has gotten a full feeling for how to handle this world, and he exercises that power quite aptly throughout “Deathly Hallows, Part 1”. There are some truly eye-popping visuals to be found here from start to finish, not only in terms of the truly fantastic magic of all shapes and sizes, but also simply in location and cinematography. It is quite the surprise to me that Yates does so well, as I actually disliked his particular handling of “Phoenix” and “Prince”, but nonetheless, “Hallows, part 1” shows how well he’s settled into this particular groove.

Tragically, the movie is unable to fully shed the myriad weaknesses that have clung to the series from the very beginning. Though no where near as painfully abrupt (or completely inexcusable) as the one in “Half-Blood Prince”, this movie does not end so much as stop, and that “Part 1” in the title hangs over the whole thing like a dead weight in spots, particularly when the movie is rather clearly stalling to avoid getting to the action sooner (the result of said stalling is admittedly some nice mood-building, but nice though it is, you will ask yourself at least once “isn’t there a better way to be using this time?” at least once before the end credits). Likewise, good luck being able to follow the full implications of the plot if you have not read the book; I have read the book, and even I had trouble in spots. As well, if you have not seen all the “Potter” films prior to this, don’t even bother showing up. Rowling’s own failings, meanwhile, manage to make it into the movie quite intact: romantic arcs that are either poorly executed or sloppily inserted into the main story (often both at the same time), a distinct unwillingness to really get intimate with the emotional fall-out of traumatic events, and a tendency to let getting the plot where it needs to go outweighs what might otherwise be seen as common sense without sufficient explanation.

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 1” certainly does feel like a “Part 1”, with a not-insignificant degree to which set-up outweighs follow-through, but it is nonetheless compelling, creative, and entertaining taken in sum. If “Part 2” can successfully match what it has done without the restraints it has to deal with, we may even be looking at a modern-day classic.
Sentai Master is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:43 AM #180
> Deltron
My Only Love

Deltron
My Only Love

2. A ticket is practically infinite for a day. You can watch a showing twice, thrice, as many times as you want for the day. Often I do so to watch early parts of the movie I missed, or catch any new trailers.

Wow...that's pretty neat...around here, the ticket's only (technically) good for the time printed on it.
Deltron is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote