Home Menu

Menu

Old May 13th, 2019, 01:52 PM #221
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

I haven't seen anything to suggest it was suicide though? Where are people getting that idea? Did I miss something?

Last I saw, the cause of death was still unknown. The press can't really publish anything about cause of death when the coroner hasn't released their findings.
Because the phrasing used in the Herald article is the kind of phrasing NZ outlets typically use when they mean it was a suicide. If it were believed to be a heart attack or something, they'd say so or they'd say he took ill or something like that. They can't publish anything about the cause of death because they literally can't.
RitoRevolto is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 02:13 PM #222
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

From what I can tell, it's most likely just a suspected suicide by the press, as they can "suggest" that based on the law update 2 years ago (according to the link that was posted last page). Unresponsive at the scene, 38, otherwise healthy, etc. They can't publish if it WAS suicide, but they can publish suspected suicide as long as the coroner hasn't reported, which is likely why they linked all of the hotlines.

If they don't have a cause of death published in a week or so (considering NZ is rather small, I doubt it'll take longer than that for the coroner report), then chances are it was suicide, and not our business. Because New Zealand law prevents anyone, even his wife, from publicly mentioning it. Though really, how he died isn't our business in general. He's gone, and his family and friends are mourning.

---

New Zealand's laws are kinda fucked up though. :/ This type of thing doesn't help anyone. If anything, it shelters the kids and makes them feel like they're alone and isolated even more.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 13th, 2019, 02:33 PM #223
> Truncated Power Rangers
Alexa, play Desperado.

Truncated Power Rangers
Alexa, play Desperado.

We may never know the demons that Pua may have gone through in his time, but the fact remains that he brought joy to many through his roles as an actor (as we mostly know him) as well as a person (if the testimonials from his friends mean anything). If his loved ones can find any glimmer of hope in this dark time, know that Pua Magasiva left a positive mark on the world that, due to its scope, no one can ever take away. My condolences go to both his loved ones as well as those who weep for him, and I hope he found the solace he sought.

Last edited by Truncated Power Rangers; May 13th, 2019 at 02:40 PM.
Truncated Power Rangers is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 13th, 2019, 04:26 PM #224
> ShadowJoker
Crimson Comrade

ShadowJoker
Crimson Comrade

I was just about to head to bed when I saw a post about Pua and I couldn't believe it. It's so unexpected.

While I didn't follow him on social media, I did every once and a while browse through his Instagram: beautiful family, good looking, excellent physical shape, etc. For a lot of people on the outside-looking-in, he had it going on, as some would say.

But who knows what was emotional/mentally ailing him so much to get to this point. It's so incredibly sad.

Although I wasn't crazy about Ninja Storm, I did enjoy his acting and portrayal of Shane. He along with the rest of Ninja Storm rangers were some of best in terms of acting. He could be a goof ball and but you still take him serious when the situation calls for it. He had some great moments too; in his Battlizer episode and the one guest starring Pua's real-life brother.

In short, it's a terribly sad event and very tough. I pray for his family, friends and fans. It's still shocking.

RIP Pua.
ShadowJoker is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:11 PM #225
> NonExistent
VIP Rider

NonExistent
VIP Rider

Wow, my condenses to Pua & his family.

Pua played my favorite red ranger.
NonExistent is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 09:22 AM #226
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

vze21gwa wrote: View Post

TMZ is actually well respected. The TV show is one thing, the press is another. They were the first to break some news. A quick WIkipedia search shows they were first to reveal on Rihanna and Mel Gibson, as well as Britney Spears. They have earned there respect in many ways.

The Tv show is more comedic than not. So I could understand where you're coming from.
Yeah, well, they shouldn't be respected. Their articles on Britney are always trying to make her look crazy just because they are paid by her father who's trying to destroy her reputation and keep her in the c-ship so that he, her manager, the lawyer and a woman called Lou keep steeling her money. The other day they posted the only photo of her coming out of the court house. The ywere the only ones, and she had her heels in one hand and they were trying to make her look crazy because she was barefoot. I mean, that was stupid. I ain't no woman, but hell I don't have female friends that have taken off their heels because those things were killing their foots. That's not being crazy. Jeez. Funny too, they said "Britney is not formely diagnosed as bipolar [man makes expresson of messing stuff up, realises what he said]. but but but, she still needs to take her medicines. blah blah. Funny, they edited later to fix his mistake. Sorry if I don't trust those idiots. But I won't let them try to dissmiss the fact that a woman was stripped of her rights just because she's a money machine. TMZ eats of her teams money.

Sorry, mods, for this. If you want me to stop, I will. Just wanted to clarify why I don't support "news outlets" like this piece of crap "TMZ" is.
Dexter1998 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:08 AM #227
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

TMZ being the first to report something doesn't mean it's "respected", anyways. They report scoops on celebrities, not national crises or real-world developments. And those "exclusive" reports usually come at the cost of a celebrity's private life, which is even worse when it comes to celebs like Britney Spears who had all of their emotional and psychological problems laid bare for everyone to see. They may be good at their jobs, but it's not a job that inspires respect or admiration at all.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:32 AM #228
> rb123
Corinth Ranger

rb123
Corinth Ranger

I'm not one to literally cry when I hear about celebrity deaths. Not even ones I greatly admire, or the death was tragic (like Robin Williams). But reading these posts and the condolences from other Power Ranger alumni have had me crying at my desk all morning. Power Rangers is different for me; I feel like I'm connected with these people on a deeper level. I feel like I lost a friend. It's just like when I was eleven watching the Time Force episode that was dedicated to Thuy Trang. I cried for hours, not really knowing why. It was because as a young child, I connected to Trini on a level that goes past simple, shallow celebrity worship. It's interesting how media can affect us like that.
rb123 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:33 AM #229
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

TMZ being the first to report something doesn't mean it's "respected", anyways. They report scoops on celebrities, not national crises or real-world developments. And those "exclusive" reports usually come at the cost of a celebrity's private life, which is even worse when it comes to celebs like Britney Spears who had all of their emotional and psychological problems laid bare for everyone to see. They may be good at their jobs, but it's not a job that inspires respect or admiration at all.
They aren't even good at their job. They can't keep up a story without messing what they are saying. I mean, first, Britney and her mon haven't seen each other for over year, and that's a LIE, since there's photos of them together from late 2018. Or they are saying "they haven't been close since her break-up with Timberlake, which is false and all a cover up of them being on the c-ship team pocket. Or when they said "she's only gonna be a month on the mental facility", and then it was revealed she was there since JANUARY, like
Dexter1998 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 05:03 PM #230
> NonExistent
VIP Rider

NonExistent
VIP Rider

A man just died and we are having a pissing contest over TMZ.
Old May 14th, 2019, 08:23 PM #231
> vze21gwa
Power Ranger

vze21gwa
Power Ranger

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

What there doing to Britney isn't good. Everyone is trying to siphon something from her. Even her Dad. Her whole life her family has only ever used her for money. Being the first to report something does garner you respect. TMZ never set out to be a "Real World" news outlet, only a celeb based one.

NonExistent wrote: View Post

A man just died and we are having a pissing contest over TMZ.
Sorry. That wasn't the intent. It was just clarifying that TMZ is better than Deadline.

Looking at everything with Pua's death it brings the troubles of the show to the forefront. Most Power Rangers actors have not found a great amount of success. This may have been a contributing factor in his death. Short of Cerina Vincent who had to strip nude for an entire movie (and even then her "success" is questionable) the rest of Power Ranger stardom has remained unknown. Sure New Zealand is a small country, but still, it is something shocking how Barney & Friends produced more notable actresses than Power Rangers. It seems like starring in Power Rangers is a career death sentence. This going back all the way to Mighty Morphin days.

Last edited by vze21gwa; May 14th, 2019 at 08:23 PM.
vze21gwa is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 09:17 PM #232
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

Looking at everything with Pua's death it brings the troubles of the show to the forefront. Most Power Rangers actors have not found a great amount of success. This may have been a contributing factor in his death. Short of Cerina Vincent who had to strip nude for an entire movie (and even then her "success" is questionable) the rest of Power Ranger stardom has remained unknown. Sure New Zealand is a small country, but still, it is something shocking how Barney & Friends produced more notable actresses than Power Rangers. It seems like starring in Power Rangers is a career death sentence. This going back all the way to Mighty Morphin days.
I don't really think this is a matter of "washed up actor has a tragic end", especially since PR actors especially from the Disney Era, (including Pua) have had decent careers, mostly because actual acting talent seemed to be more of a factor with those seasons.

To be frank, most of the actors in earlier seasons and to some extent the Neo-Saban era were chosen for their ability to do stunts and/or their good looks, that's why a lot of those actors' careers "die", because a good portion of the actors from those eras....weren't really good actors, or actors at all.

I get that Power Rangers hasn't produced super duper famous A-list names (and I'm not the type to jump down somebody's throat when they say that because I know some of y'all love to get on people's case whenever they say that) but this fairly common notion of Power Rangers being a "career killer" or even a "curse" is a bit of an exaggeration.

To this day the only really major tragedies have been Thuy and Pua 's deaths, and Rick Medina's trouble and maybe the scandal involving David Yost if you really wanna include that. Considering the number of actors who've appeared on Power Rangers, that's actually not bad....at all.
JNTA1234 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 09:22 PM #233
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Success in acting literally has no impact on why people meet tragic ends like this and frankly it's incredibly disgusting to say this shit.

Not only that you're are being incredibly ignorant about the success of actors on the show of which quite a few of them go onto have very healthy careers.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 09:46 PM #234
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

Most Power Rangers actors have not found a great amount of success. This may have been a contributing factor in his death.
I highly doubt this was a factor at all. At least on a surface level he seemed to be doing pretty well for himself, but if it was something like depression that caused him to (hypothetically) commit suicide it wouldn't matter. People like Anthony Bourdain and Robin Williams were living the high life and they were still fundamentally unhappy enough they took their lives.

Mental illness doesn't just fizzle away with success, because it's an innate chemical imbalance that needs to be treated or it can get worse.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:21 PM #235
> Mythdon
Howling Wolf!

Mythdon
Howling Wolf!

Shane may not have been everyone's favorite Red Ranger, but I for one thought Pua brought positive energy into the role. I think if anyone else had played the part, Shane wouldn't have been the Shane we'd all came to love. I can imagine he brought that same energy to his roles on Shortland Street

But anyways, I thought his fellow Ninja Stormers posting their pictures together was a powerful way to pay their respects. We may have lost a beloved talent the Red Ranger we all grew to love, but his castmates and his family lost someone that was close to their heart (it's far more devastating for them). My heart and condolences goes out to them likewise.

And it's like another person said, it's none of our business how he died unless they report on it. I think part of offering the family condolences is respecting their privacy.

JNTA1234 wrote: View Post

I don't really think this is a matter of "washed up actor has a tragic end", especially since PR actors especially from the Disney Era, (including Pua) have had decent careers, mostly because actual acting talent seemed to be more of a factor with those seasons.
If their roles on Shortland Street don't give a clue.
Mythdon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 12:54 AM #236
> vze21gwa
Power Ranger

vze21gwa
Power Ranger

Xenotome wrote: View Post

Success in acting literally has no impact on why people meet tragic ends like this and frankly it's incredibly disgusting to say this shit.

Not only that you're are being incredibly ignorant about the success of actors on the show of which quite a few of them go onto have very healthy careers.
The only other actors that I can think that had any other somewhat careers were Rose McIver, Erin Cahill, Anna Hutchison and Eka Darville. Look, I'm not dissing anyone. I'm not the only one here (or on the internet) that has alluded to this. Truth be told, if it wasn't for this site I would never have given it thought to begin with!! Assuming it was suicide, you can't deny these things don't affect a person.

I loved Ninja Storm and Shane was my one of my favorite characters. I know depression manifests differently in different people. I was reading about one of the yellow rangers in Sentai who committed suicide because he was dissatisfied with his career. Look, I know there are many variables with depression. I don't want to cause issues especially with this tragedy.
vze21gwa is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 02:32 AM #237
> jonoave
Power Ranger

jonoave
Power Ranger

RIP Pua.

Like several posters, Ninja Storm was the season that brought me back to PR. It captured the magic of the original, but in a new current settings. I still think the cast has the best and most believable chemistry. And Pua was a big factor in that.

Prayers for the family.
jonoave is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 02:56 AM #238
> Darthbane2007
Power Ranger

Darthbane2007
Power Ranger

What there doing to Britney isn't good. Everyone is trying to siphon something from her. Even her Dad. Her whole life her family has only ever used her for money. Being the first to report something does garner you respect. TMZ never set out to be a "Real World" news outlet, only a celeb based one.

Sorry. That wasn't the intent. It was just clarifying that TMZ is better than Deadline.

The thing is, how many of the actors or actresses were looking to make it big in the industry in the first place?
Darthbane2007 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 04:37 AM #239
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

The only other actors that I can think that had any other somewhat careers were Rose McIver, Erin Cahill, Anna Hutchison and Eka Darville.
How about AJJ? Also other than Eka, Nikolai Nikolaeff was great in Daredevil, Emma Lahana is killing it in Cloak and Dagger...

Think about it: many Ranger actors weren't chosen for their acting abilities (and Neo-Saban era certainly didn't allow them to show their skills) but for their looks and some fighting skills. The fact that more and more of them are getting significant roles is a big change, and most actors don't get too many chances to go big.

Not to mention, implying that success makes one immune to depression is 100% false. Just look at Robin Williams.
AtoMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:45 AM #240
> NonExistent
VIP Rider

NonExistent
VIP Rider

There is Richard Brancatisano, Nic Samson, Glenn McMillan, David de Lautour, Adelaide Kane, and Firass Dirani who have had decent careers with Ms. Kane being in Reign. James Napier has found success in the business in different ways as well. I could list more actors and stuff but Disney was clearly finding diamonds in the rough and making them rangers.

Issue is two fold: People are defining success solely on what they did in the US market and their biases are flavored based on the difficulties the Mighty Morphin Team had with finding work after the show. Not every person who becomes a ranger is on there in an attempt to be some super star. For some, Power Rangers was just another job that as they found out had a very dedicated fanbase attached to it.

Last edited by NonExistent; May 15th, 2019 at 03:42 PM.