Home Menu

Menu

Old April 16th, 2018, 09:29 AM #3881
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

I say it was a neat gimmick but kids just wanted toys that were colorful and many; not just one ship with three modes. It's a shame since I think TimeRobo is neat and I wish we got another mecha like that...but unfortunately if Japanese kids don't want it, what some American fans say doesn't matter.
Ataruman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:44 PM #3882
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Ataruman wrote: View Post

I say it was a neat gimmick but kids just wanted toys that were colorful and many; not just one ship with three modes. It's a shame since I think TimeRobo is neat and I wish we got another mecha like that...but unfortunately if Japanese kids don't want it, what some American fans say doesn't matter.
Heck, it's one of the coolest-looking Sentai mecha that I've seen.
AdrenalineRush is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 02:03 PM #3883
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R39e...ature=youtu.be

A new clip of Tyrannoranger and Pteraranger playing the Zyuranger Famicom game at a recent convention.
HowlingSnail is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 03:52 PM #3884
> Superanger
It's time to change

Superanger
It's time to change

I finished watching Ninninger. (I know I'm a couple of years late) I love how Sentai has developed their female characters in these past years. Kasumi being an intelligent, strong, and focused girl instead of the typical anime/idol/pretty kawaii girl. Also, grandpa as a mentor never gave them the easy way out instead he forced them to learn on their own and find their path.

Also, compared to older sentai, there were less filler episodes.
Superanger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 04:33 PM #3885
> The Golden Witch
I bid you Adieu

The Golden Witch
I bid you Adieu

Superanger wrote: View Post

(About Ninninger) Also, compared to older sentai, there were less filler episodes.
Well, yeah, that's kind of a given that older Sentai have way more filler than newer Sentai. Doesn't just apply to Ninninger.
The Golden Witch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 05:01 PM #3886
> Superanger
It's time to change

Superanger
It's time to change

The Golden Witch wrote: View Post

Well, yeah, that's kind of a given that older Sentai have way more filler than newer Sentai. Doesn't just apply to Ninninger.
My method of watching current sentai is to skip all filler. There's some episodes (this happened in Goseiger a lot) that were half filler, but still sprinkled some plot elements that made it necessary to watch.

Ninninger has 47 episodes, I count 33-35 as non filler which includes some episodes that are mostly filler but still necessary to watch for the advancement of the story.

Now compare that to Carranger, it was 48 episodes, while only 30 were important to the overall plot of the season. Ohranger had 48 episodes, but only 25-26 were necessary to see. I also recall Shinkenger had ton of filler, but I haven't seen it since it first aired.
Old April 24th, 2018, 05:09 PM #3887
> sylarking
Power Ranger

sylarking
Power Ranger

Superanger wrote: View Post

I finished watching Ninninger. (I know I'm a couple of years late) I love how Sentai has developed their female characters in these past years. Kasumi being an intelligent, strong, and focused girl instead of the typical anime/idol/pretty kawaii girl. Also, grandpa as a mentor never gave them the easy way out instead he forced them to learn on their own and find their path.

Also, compared to older sentai, there were less filler episodes.

You one of few people who liked Ninninger. Many people hate it.
sylarking is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 06:44 PM #3888
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

sylarking wrote: View Post

I didn't hate it. It's not one that I really liked, but I didn't hate it. It was just okay. Had some good stuff, but Takaharu was so damn annoying it did definitely color the season. If he didn't constantly yell about being all fired up it would've gone a long way to not disliking him. But overall, wasn't a bad season. Definitely better than Zyuohger. Though I haven't seen a season that I'd say I "hate". There're some that I just didn't care a lot for. Toqger is probably the closest to a season that I hate, but even then I can't hate it I just disliked most of it. And even then, it still had one of the best moments in recent Sentai at the end;

Near the end when Right sends the others back to their lives and draws on the darkness to fight Z. And Z kicks his ass, then expresses his disappointment at Right for believing that relying on the darkness would make him more powerful. That was probably the one saving grace for me for that show.
Alitain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 04:50 AM #3889
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

So in the 9 months I've been watching Gingaman, I've seen 7 months' worth of episodes. I can't help myself, it's just so terrible.

The Gingamen themselves are horrible characters. So bloody wholesome. Always smiling, always willing to dish out a moral at a moment's notice, friends to all, like the Zyurangers. Modern Sentai, and even PR of the time, make an effort to make the characters act like real people, but nope, the Gingamen are walking morals.

In Carranger and Megaranger, their secret identities are a massive deal, with serious plot relevance. Gingaman? We're back to the approach of "Tell everyone we meet, no matter how unrealistic such a thing would be".

Beyond that, the show itself is just so boring. MOTW plots I have no interest in because they provide nothing of interest, or are held back by the horrible characters. The only interesting parts are the bits that were copied into Lost Galaxy, so I'm much better off just watching that show.

Carranger and Megaranger were a real step forward into competent writing, but now it seems like we've regressed back to Zyuranger. Even Megaforce has better characters than these.
Old April 29th, 2018, 09:15 AM #3890
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

So to my understanding and from what I could find, there are only seven subbed episodes of Turboranger plus the movie? I downloaded those, as that was the season that came up in my RNG. Is this correct? I watched the clip show first episode and it was fun. I like learning bits and pieces about the older sentai shows.
GrumpyBookworm is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 09:56 AM #3891
> ⚡Dyl
Install Megaranger!

eBay
Dyl
Install Megaranger!

eBay

I'm the worst at reviews but I'm going to attempt one. Apologies in advance if I spelled any of the names incorrectly. and just a friendly warning, there are some spoilers ahead.

This show made so much sense to me than lost galaxy, as much as I love LG, they would always pull things out of their asses. While Gingaman explained new weapons, or why certain things were happening.

I did however enjoy the different routes the two shows took, I was nervous that I would be watching the sentai version of LG, but LG did their episodes differently. For instance to protect the forest it was Elder that sealed it away thus making everything into stone, versus furio doing that in LG.

The plot was very heavy with the Balban wanting to awaken Daitanix heck they were even obsessed about it. it made no sense because when he arrived and was destroyed it's like they didn't even care. Why make it such a huge part of the plot if it's not going to matter much in the end? I'm glad LG made those episodes about searching for the lights of orion for a different purpose.

The characters although better than the Ohranger, still didn't stand out too much.

Ryoma is the fearless leader with heart
Hayate is the big brother of the group that watches over them
Hikaru is the hard headed kid that does his own thing and doesn't like to listen to others.
Goki is the big guy with a soft heart that feels for others
Saya is Saya is....erm well Saya is just there

Houga is not much interesting either, he just seems like another Ryoma

What made no sense to me was how broken Ryoma was when Houga was presumed killed, but when it was revealed that he was helping gramps (kegler in LG) it didn't seem to bother him too much the episodes after it's like they were back to normal.

Also I feel Gingaman set a really bad example for children, with how yuuta was behaving. Once the Gingaman arrived to live with them, on several occasions he was acting like the Gingaman were far more important to him than his own father. I hated how the father was very submissive and let yuuta control and do what he wanted. Especially in the episode where the father got his hand glued to Hayate's. Yuuta was beating his father over the head for speaking out of line. Like what the actual fuck is that? So you're teaching kids that when some one you like comes to stay with you, it's ok to favor them over your own parents and treat them like shit if you must? I honestly wanted to go in there and smack yuuta my self.

Also what was up with Shelinda's pathetic rivalry with Ginga Green? It seemed so forced and it's almost as if her character was not even needed because she barely did anything.

The earth demon was not needed at all, I felt that plot took away from Zahab's fight. They should have made all those scenes the gingaman Vs Zahab and scrap the earth demon plot. I say this because the fight and defeat of Zahab felt quick and cheap. I was expecting more action when it came to the Gingaman fighting the final boss. It was such a let down.

Gingaman isn't bad, it has it's great episodes but they could have definitely fleshed out the characters ALOT more both on the Ranger side and villian side. I am happy that Gingaman focused more on the Star Beasts than LG did. I was hoping we'd get more focus on the other Star Beasts the Whale, Phoenix and Rhino and we'd actually see them in their true form, but it sucks we only saw them in their robot form. I feel like both shows LG and Gingaman did better where the others failed if that makes sense.

After seeing Howling Snail's review of Megaranger and Carranger being so much better, I'm anticipating the arrival of my Carranger and Megaranger DVD sets. I'm currently trying to give Kakuranger a chance because I never went past episode 7, but holy shit that old narrator guy needs to STFU. He ruins it for me. I want to give the season a chance mainly because I bought the DVDS. Hopefully I'll survive and not give up.

Last edited by Dyl; April 29th, 2018 at 10:20 AM.
Dyl is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 10:17 AM #3892
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

The Kakuranger disappears half way through the series for no real reason.
Old April 29th, 2018, 12:08 PM #3893
> TyrannoRanger
VIP Rider

TyrannoRanger
VIP Rider

GrumpyBookworm wrote: View Post

So to my understanding and from what I could find, there are only seven subbed episodes of Turboranger plus the movie? I downloaded those, as that was the season that came up in my RNG. Is this correct? I watched the clip show first episode and it was fun. I like learning bits and pieces about the older sentai shows.
That's correct. It came up recently on my RNG too lol

The 7 episodes are delightful though. I really wish I could watch the entire series

I'm currently watching Liveman and everyone in this thread was right. It started with so much potential and then immediately fizzled out. I think I'm on episode 23 right now
TyrannoRanger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 12:12 PM #3894
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

TyrannoRanger wrote: View Post

That's correct. It came up recently on my RNG too lol

The 7 episodes are delightful though. I really wish I could watch the entire series

I'm currently watching Liveman and everyone in this thread was right. It started with so much potential and then immediately fizzled out. I think I'm on episode 23 right now
Thanks! I've been in a bit of a rut since I finished Jetman. There hasn't been a sentai that's made me want to binge it like Jetman did. Granted there's only seven episodes but I have high hopes since this show fascinates me.
GrumpyBookworm is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 01:07 PM #3895
> The Golden Witch
I bid you Adieu

The Golden Witch
I bid you Adieu

Having just finished Gingaman myself, I think I can weigh in on it myself.

I actually really liked the characters themselves. I don't know what you mean by them being perfect when I think most of them are flawed. Ryouma is initially too focused on Hyuuga and living up to Hyuuga's example. Hayate is too serious and is a bit of a picky eater. Gouki is kind of a push-over, and his storyline with the teacher ends with him sticking up for himself and fighting for her instead of giving up. Hikaru is inexperienced, with early episodes about how he can become more of a warrior. His growth is shown by a late episode where he earns the respect of a noble MOTW. And there's Saya... who doesn't have any major flaws but I wouldn't label her as perfect.

Totally agree on Yuuta being weirdly rude to his father. Really stuck out to me. I much prefer the dynamic between Nozomu and his father in Goseiger.

The villains are very hit or miss to me. The generals all felt defined to me, and I liked how even if it was an entirely filler episode they still made note of things like "this is your third time; I thought you said this would be quick" and things. The Daitanix angle isn't the most original thing, but I liked that the plots were varied. Shellinda's rivalry really isn't much, and I kind of wish she got more to do, like going down with the MOTW regularly like Salome in BFJ or Deathgiller in Goggle V.

I'm not really a fan of the Hyuuga-Knight Axe arc. It really felt pointless and it ate up a lot of time. Similarly, the character of the Black Knight I felt was done better in LG. LG gave him a better build-up and an even sadder death.

As for the episode plots themselves, I didn't have a problem with them. Very moral-heavy, but nothing terrible. Most do a good job of building the team (again, I don't know why they're seen as perfect), while continuing on each general's "plot".

Overall, I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites, but I don't think it's as bad as others here are saying. LG is still the better series, though.
The Golden Witch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 04:11 PM #3896
> Galaxy
Power Ranger

Galaxy
Power Ranger

I decided for my next sentai (after finishing ToQger months ago, I tend to take Toku breaks periodically) to try Fiveman. Two episodes in, and I like it. Its not mind blowing, but its entertaining. Episode 2 was especially fun, with Five Red grabbing a machine gun and going all Rambo on some of the minions. The suits look pretty good, and the premise (kids whose parents were killed by the planet destroying bad guys become a sentai team to defend Earth from the aliens that killed their parents) is ok. I know the show generally gets mixed to negative reviews, but so far its enjoyable enough. It also works as something different from the other two Toku I'm watching at the same time (Metalder and Ultraman Nexus), and having that variety is good.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 06:30 PM #3897
> NateLeeScott1988
Power Ranger

NateLeeScott1988
Power Ranger

Currently watching Timeranger and so far am up to episode 6.

When it comes to the typical Ayase vs. Domon banter that seems to be a recurring theme in this one, I usually think Domon gets bullied by Ayase who has an arrogant attitude but in ep. 6, I did think Ayase was right in taking Domon down a notch in scenes like him checking himself out in the mirror so he looks good for anything with a skirt as well as triggering the MotW's growth sequence.

Yuuri still has the ice cold leader front down pat but i gather from her future interactions with Tatsuya especially, it will go away. First moment they shared together would be when Tatsuya offers Yuuri the chance to be the one who freezes her family's killer.

Sion is a shy alien whose most WTF moment would be the one where he declares his "love" for Domon and every female is looking at Domon with pervert eyes.

Overall, i seem to be enjoying Timeranger more than PRTF and i look forward to the rest.
NateLeeScott1988 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 08:33 AM #3898
> hannibaLUCIO
Kyoryu GAY

eBay
hannibaLUCIO
Kyoryu GAY

eBay

NateLeeScott1988 wrote: View Post

Currently watching Timeranger and so far am up to episode 6.

When it comes to the typical Ayase vs. Domon banter that seems to be a recurring theme in this one, I usually think Domon gets bullied by Ayase who has an arrogant attitude but in ep. 6, I did think Ayase was right in taking Domon down a notch in scenes like him checking himself out in the mirror so he looks good for anything with a skirt as well as triggering the MotW's growth sequence.

Yuuri still has the ice cold leader front down pat but i gather from her future interactions with Tatsuya especially, it will go away. First moment they shared together would be when Tatsuya offers Yuuri the chance to be the one who freezes her family's killer.

Sion is a shy alien whose most WTF moment would be the one where he declares his "love" for Domon and every female is looking at Domon with pervert eyes.

Overall, i seem to be enjoying Timeranger more than PRTF and i look forward to the rest.
I watched Timeranger earlier this month and it's my second favorite Sentai! I was not sure about villains, they seemed shallow, but I really appreciated the final arc. I liked every character and even filler episodes were good!
Galaxy wrote: View Post

I decided for my next sentai (after finishing ToQger months ago, I tend to take Toku breaks periodically) to try Fiveman. Two episodes in, and I like it. Its not mind blowing, but its entertaining. Episode 2 was especially fun, with Five Red grabbing a machine gun and going all Rambo on some of the minions. The suits look pretty good, and the premise (kids whose parents were killed by the planet destroying bad guys become a sentai team to defend Earth from the aliens that killed their parents) is ok. I know the show generally gets mixed to negative reviews, but so far its enjoyable enough. It also works as something different from the other two Toku I'm watching at the same time (Metalder and Ultraman Nexus), and having that variety is good.
Fiveman is the sixth Sentai I've finished; I've watched it last November right after they subbed it. Among my personal chart of 31 Sentai shows I've watched, Fiveman is currently the 14th. Not so memorable, but I liked it much more than Liveman, Jetman, Ninninger and Zyuohger, for example. The final story arc is good.

This months I've watched: the last 18 episodes of Megaranger, the last 18 ones of Gingaman, all GoGoFive, all Timeranger, all Gaoranger, all Hurricaneger, the first 14 ones of Abaranger, the first 14 ones of Dekaranger and episodes 8-12 of Lupinranger VS Patranger. That's... 272 episodes in one month (and 9 specials/movies)... More than 9 episodes per day.
I still have to watch another 469 episodes (excluding specials, movies and Lupin/Pat that's still airing) and my Sentai marathon(from Goranger to Go-Busters) will be complete.
hannibaLUCIO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 11:42 AM #3899
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

I started Gingaman on 31/7/17. It's now 30/4/18 and I've finally finished it. I've changed countries twice in that time, but now, it's over.

It got better near the end, I liked the stuff with Hyuuga and Bookrates. But for the most part, everything I said in my last part still stands. Goodbye, Gingaman. I shan't miss you.
Old April 30th, 2018, 09:44 PM #3900
> Superanger
It's time to change

Superanger
It's time to change

sylarking wrote: View Post

I loved the learning curve of the rangers and how the team was able to overcome the obstacles by using their strengths. Much better than Ninja Steel.

Now, I'm watching zyuohger (sp?) and altough it has a interesting premise, some episodes are annoying and the whole show feels so under budget. Similar to the transition SPD to Mystic Force: SPD was the budget breaker and Mystic Force got it's budget slashed. Zyuohger producers be like: let's make this as cheap as possible in case the toyline bombs.

Dyl wrote: View Post

This show made so much sense to me than lost galaxy, as much as I love LG, they would always pull things out of their asses. While Gingaman explained new weapons, or why certain things were happening.
Lost Galaxy production was troubled in part because of Tzachor and the execs wanted to emulate Power Rangers in Space. I mean who can blame them? In Space did great numbers, so of course they would try to emulate the winning formula.

PriS had done well. In fact, the ratings were up- so significantly that Pr's sister-show of the year, Mystic Knights: Battle Thunder, was retroactively canceled after starting production on its second season in order to give its budget to Power Rangers. Jonathan Tzachor grinned.
JONATHAN: The kids, the love the Space thing. Here's a suitcase of nonsequential unmarked bills. Make this one in space too.
"Um, Jonathan? Gingaman is a... nature Sentai."
JONATHAN: You can build some new sets.
"They commune with living animals that turn into robots. They have magic swords. Their mentor is a talking tree."
JONATHAN: IN SPACE.
"Well, okay... I guess we can ground the space elements on the old Rangers, they'll be given the magic swords to-"
JONATHAN: Oh, didn't I mention? New cast. I like the way Sentai does it, it's more... what's the word? Accessible.
"..."
JONATHAN: Hop to it, this is the BIG PUSH.
https://deriksmith.livejournal.com/4099.html

The whole splice and dice of the footage took awhile and delayed the production, causing them to dub sentai into Power Rangers and introducing stuff out of nowhere.

Tags
a 40 year toy commercial, debating over spandex, destroyallchildren, liveman why have you?, nokidsallowed, thebestsentaithread, theoptimalsentaithread, xistheobjectlygoodsentai