Home Menu

Menu

Old April 7th, 2019, 07:23 PM #2901
> Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

But Xeno, they could "phone it in". Haven't you heard about this new trend? Do you doubt cell phones? Hey, remember Dino Thunder?!?!?!

I'm glad I missed that news, my wee heart wouldn't have been able to take it.

Maybe Hasbro could get a pair of cans with a string, and use that to record NZ actors. I'm not sure about logistics.
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2019, 07:40 PM #2902
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

But Xeno, they could "phone it in". Haven't you heard about this new trend? Do you doubt cell phones? Hey, remember Dino Thunder?!?!?!

I'm glad I missed that news, my wee heart wouldn't have been able to take it.

Maybe Hasbro could get a pair of cans with a string, and use that to record NZ actors. I'm not sure about logistics.
Well it actually does work nowadays. They don't do it LITERALLY over the phone, that's merely for communication between the director & talent. The talent goes into the studio and the director remotely directs them. A lot of shows have some actors who do their recording off site. Harry Shearer (because he's an asshole) does all his Simpsons recordings from London.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2019, 07:57 PM #2903
> Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

I knew it, they switch to cans for recording.
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old April 9th, 2019, 09:06 PM #2904
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

Xenotome wrote: View Post

Even if that were to change, the likes of Peter Cullen or Frank Welker aren't coming close to Power Rangers. If they were to bring the voices back to the US you'd basically see the old guard of voice actors from the Saban years which... I wouldn't be disappointed in. Basically anybody who works in Studiopolis/Viz's stable of actors.

If they weren't getting Peter Cullen to play Trukk & Munky for Beast Morphers any other season is a pipe dream.
Yeah the best if we were to see a return to union voice acting would be like Roger Craig Smith or Travis Willingham or the like. Which honestly wouldn't be too bad.
SonicBlueRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 02:43 AM #2905
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

SonicBlueRanger wrote: View Post

Yeah the best if we were to see a return to union voice acting would be like Roger Craig Smith or Travis Willingham or the like. Which honestly wouldn't be too bad.
Travis Willingham would've been a much better Smash than the current VA. Saying that right now.
Cuchulainn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 02:01 PM #2906
> maritroniuity
Dangerous Zombabe

maritroniuity
Dangerous Zombabe

I wish they can utilize the LA voice actors when the cast do their ADR once they're back stateside.
maritroniuity is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 02:14 PM #2907
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

Travis Willingham would've been a much better Smash than the current VA. Saying that right now.
That would require the ability to cast SAG actors full time. And also...I don't know that he would. Willingham has a great voice, (One of the best), but he tends to play dark and brooding the best, which is not the character they're going with.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 02:41 PM #2908
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

I would lose my shit if we got a PR season where Jim Cummings or Frank Welker voices the main villain
CheckeredRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 02:44 PM #2909
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

Dukemon wrote: View Post

That would require the ability to cast SAG actors full time.
Would they? There are some LA Anime dubs that aren't union productions.
GokaiGold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 02:50 PM #2910
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

GokaiGold wrote: View Post

Would they? There are some LA Anime dubs that aren't union productions.
If you employ Union actors, you need to pay them their Union Rate, OR have the union basically issue a waiver of sorts to allow said actor to work the role. Not sure which anime you're speaking too, but for the most part, dubbing houses work within Union guidelines.

Or, as in the case of COTRR, an actor who wasn't SAG at the time on the show, but was at the time of filming, returned for a VA role, but under a different name, and likely was paid under the SAG rate, or there was some kind of negotiation made there.

That's not happening with the big names that Hasbro deals with usually. You may see some of them show up in whatever the Power Rangers movie they're making turns out to be, but I think the show will probably stick to the NZ talent.
Old April 10th, 2019, 03:03 PM #2911
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

Not sure which anime you're speaking too, but for the most part, dubbing houses work within Union guidelines.
To be fair my knowledge is out of date in that regard when I was more into dubs. Viz Media had a few non-union dubs from Studiopolis for example, the Bleach dub was non-union. That practice could have change since most of the LA dubs use BangZoom now.
Old April 10th, 2019, 03:24 PM #2912
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

That would require the ability to cast SAG actors full time. And also...I don't know that he would. Willingham has a great voice, (One of the best), but he tends to play dark and brooding the best, which is not the character they're going with.
He voiced the Sonic Boom version of Knuckles. I think he could do a decent Smash
SonicBlueRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 04:32 PM #2913
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

If you employ Union actors, you need to pay them their Union Rate, OR have the union basically issue a waiver of sorts to allow said actor to work the role. Not sure which anime you're speaking too, but for the most part, dubbing houses work within Union guidelines.
There are still some who also work non-union under false names. Like Barbara Goodson recently did Zirconia in Sailor Moon under the name Janis Carrol.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 12:57 AM #2914
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

I doubt Hasbro have any problems with going union, as aren't all the US writers union now? I assume the reason they have to stick to NZ talent is to get the NZ film grant.

Although you never know: If Hasbro moves post-production to their US studios, they may be able to save enough money to make it worth dropping the film grant. Doing it for BM would have been difficult, but for PR2021, they'll have more time to plan these things.
big smile is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 02:31 AM #2915
> NonExistent
VIP Rider

NonExistent
VIP Rider

Was Wild Force the last series to be produced in America or was that Time Force?
NonExistent is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 02:56 AM #2916
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

NonExistent wrote: View Post

Was Wild Force the last series to be produced in America or was that Time Force?
Wild Force was the last season filmed Stateside.
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 03:16 AM #2917
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

I'm not expecting them to actually get SAG voice actors. Just saying he'd be a good pick.

Also, he has a pretty wide range. He voices Knuckles in the Sonic Boom cartoon and Thor in the cartoons. He's most well-known for doing characters like Mustang but he can absolutely ham it up if the role requires it.
Cuchulainn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 03:29 AM #2918
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

They definitely need better villain voices. Evox just sounds too cartoony and combined with his dreadful CGI he is a trash villain.

Venjix was a simple prop with an awesome voice and it made him feel like a real threat. It's amazing how much a voice can bring a villain to life.
big smile is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old April 11th, 2019, 08:24 AM #2919
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

SonicBlueRanger wrote: View Post

He voiced the Sonic Boom version of Knuckles. I think he could do a decent Smash
Oh I know, and he's great there. It's still not the same kind of character. Knuckles is a dead-pan idiot on that show. Smash is kind of like caring, mushy older brother.

Xenotome wrote: View Post

There are still some who also work non-union under false names. Like Barbara Goodson recently did Zirconia in Sailor Moon under the name Janis Carrol.
True. But that's also a VIZ dub. There's a difference there lol.

big smile wrote: View Post

I doubt Hasbro have any problems with going union, as aren't all the US writers union now? I assume the reason they have to stick to NZ talent is to get the NZ film grant.

Although you never know: If Hasbro moves post-production to their US studios, they may be able to save enough money to make it worth dropping the film grant. Doing it for BM would have been difficult, but for PR2021, they'll have more time to plan these things.
The writers have been union forever. It's the actors that took a long time to be union, and then went non-union again. I'm not sure if the grant is dependent upon them using NZ cast members, but it would make sense.

Moving production back stateside would require a lot of money. Hasbro has said money, but whether or not it makes sense to spend it for this show is another discussion.

big smile wrote: View Post

They definitely need better villain voices. Evox just sounds too cartoony and combined with his dreadful CGI he is a trash villain.

Venjix was a simple prop with an awesome voice and it made him feel like a real threat. It's amazing how much a voice can bring a villain to life.
I think they need MORE voices for their monsters. Don't have a problem at all with Evox, but Ninja Steel's monsters/generals etc. were a big no for me lol. The monsters this year have been okay so far. Not stellar, but not grating.

Last edited by Dukemon; April 11th, 2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old April 11th, 2019, 08:54 AM #2920
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

Yeah, Evox sounds perfectly fine. Variety is much appreciated. I love Campbell Cooley, but maybe he doesn't need to be a villain every year.