Old November 21st, 2018, 08:47 PM #1
> ShyRanger
Morphinominal

eBay
ShyRanger
Morphinominal

eBay

Happy 20th Anniversary "Countdown to Destruction"

Where were you all November 21, 1998 when Fox Kids aired part 2?

Back when I recorded PR like a religion, I often watched In Space later Saturday. I still remember being on the edge of my seat having no idea how it was going to end and the shock over Zordon sacrificing himself, unleashing the energy wave. I went online looking for discussion, hitting up the usual sites, clicked on a link to some newsgroup called alt.fan.power-rangers and never looked back. I loved it there, especially when it was my primary discussion place.

By now we've heard it... They were going to use stunties instead of piles of sand, there was almost a third part, Ecliptor should have gotten a better sendoff, etc. But for what they did was nothing short of morphinominal and the greatest finale of all time.
ShyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 09:20 PM #2
> Musashi
Power Ranger

eBay
Musashi
Power Ranger

eBay

I remember the ending very clearly. Sitting on my bed eyes glued to my small TV set. Rita and Zedd are my favorite characters and I was very concerned about what was going to happen them. I was on AFPR but I don't remember what we knew about the episode going into part 2. Anyway, when the Z-Wave turned the Machine Empire to dust I cheered, but then also got scared that Rita and Zedd would be next. Then not only were they alive, but they danced off screen and I was like O_o. But I was relieved. Then Divatox was saved too which was great because I liked her, plus she was in white which answered the Dimitrea question which was cool too.

Other thoughts I remember was how great it was that Karone was alive, though Ecliptor should've been saved too, Bulk and Skull were awesome, and Andros and Ashley should've kissed. I also remember how crazy AFPR was because everyone came out of hiding to praise such an amazing episode. It's hard to believe it's been 20 years, but wow that episode still blows me away. Looking back it's pretty shocking how Zordon died and stayed dead. Don't think PR will ever top it.
Musashi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 09:39 PM #3
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Me 20 years ago: "The Ranger powers turned to dust? The heck?"
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 10:32 PM #4
> BlitzRangers
Power Rangers Blitz

BlitzRangers
Power Rangers Blitz

ShyRanger wrote: View Post

Where were you all November 21, 1998 when Fox Kids aired part 2?

Back when I recorded PR like a religion, I often watched In Space later Saturday. I still remember being on the edge of my seat having no idea how it was going to end and the shock over Zordon sacrificing himself, unleashing the energy wave. I went online looking for discussion, hitting up the usual sites, clicked on a link to some newsgroup called alt.fan.power-rangers and never looked back. I loved it there, especially when it was my primary discussion place.

By now we've heard it... They were going to use stunties instead of piles of sand, there was almost a third part, Ecliptor should have gotten a better sendoff, etc. But for what they did was nothing short of morphinominal and the greatest finale of all time.

EXCUSE ME ?I never heard of that please explain !

Here is my recap of what I experienced in late 98 :

I remember being on the edge of my seat, I thought the series was
DONE. I thought there is going to be no other Power Ranger series
after this. After the scene where the Z-Wave hits/ Karone back to life
they cut to a commercial. The next commercial I see is STAY TUNED
for the next chapter POWER RANGERS LOST GALAXY, it was a
mind fuck because I thought this was going to be the end.
The little teaser after c2d aired was mostly stock filled with
Astronomas Ship, it was very very very confusing.

Saban was clever not to air the Lost Galaxy promo before The Z-Wave
scene. They waited after atleast. I remember waiting until 99 for PRIME
TIME Lost Galaxy on a friday, I was not impressed. I waited until episode
2 of LG and I was out for awhile lol The show SUCKED ass.

Last edited by BlitzRangers; November 21st, 2018 at 10:39 PM.
BlitzRangers is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 10:42 PM #5
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Seeing the promo for C2D was rather memorable. All of the villains were actually going to launch an attack on the universe, and I just had to see how it would all go.

I remember hoping that the Phantom Ranger's identity would be revealed, but of course that didn't happen. They had their chances to do it, and it should have been done in Turbo anyway. I'm over it now.

Darkonda had nine lives, but we'd only see him lose seven. The way he squandered his last life was a total WTF moment.

I remember when the Fox Kids site would give episode descriptions, but they totally spoiled the second part. It mentions Bulk and Skull's Spartacus moment, and even how Andros shatters Zordon's tube, thus wiping out all of the evil forces. I was never expecting Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa to be purified, but I like how Divatox was running away from the wave, and how Elgar didn't even see it coming. I don't have a problem with Ecliptor getting wiped out by the wave since he did say that he was created to be evil, even if he did express a paternal love for Astronema.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 10:46 PM #6
> BlitzRangers
Power Rangers Blitz

BlitzRangers
Power Rangers Blitz

Storm Eagle wrote: View Post

Seeing the promo for C2D was rather memorable. All of the villains were actually going to launch an attack on the universe, and I just had to see how it would all go.

I remember hoping that the Phantom Ranger's identity would be revealed, but of course that didn't happen. They had their chances to do it, and it should have been done in Turbo anyway. I'm over it now.

Darkonda had nine lives, but we'd only see him lose seven. The way he squandered his last life was a total WTF moment.

I remember when the Fox Kids site would give episode descriptions, but they totally spoiled the second part. It mentions Bulk and Skull's Spartacus moment, and even how Andros shatters Zordon's tube, thus wiping out all of the evil forces. I was never expecting Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa to be purified, but I like how Divatox was running away from the wave, and how Elgar didn't even see it coming. I don't have a problem with Ecliptor getting wiped out by the wave since he did say that he was created to be evil, even if he did express a paternal love for Astronema.

Man I would been pissed getting spoiled, I wasn't on the internet that often in 98, how was the fan base back then in regards to c2d & Lost galaxy ? Since I had nothing spoiling me I legit thought Power Rangers was finished.
Old November 21st, 2018, 10:54 PM #7
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

BlitzRangers wrote: View Post

Man I would been pissed getting spoiled, I wasn't on the internet that often in 98, how was the fan base back then in regards to c2d & Lost galaxy ? Since I had nothing spoiling me I legit thought Power Rangers was finished.
I started lurking on boards during PRIS's hiatus, but didn't start posting on boards until the day before PRLG started. C2D seemed to be popular with a lot of people, and had mixed feelings about PRLG. I remember a lot of complaints about plotholes.

Before PRLG started though, there was talk about how it would have a new cast, and that the Space Rangers wouldn't be involved in it full time. I personally didn't mind what happened either way, but I thought it would be interesting to see a new cast, which we did get. People seemed to be somewhat in denial though, since the PRLG action figures with the voices were out, and people said that they sound like the PRIS cast. I'd agree, although the Blue Galaxy Ranger figure sounded nothing like T.J., even though someone else said they thought it did.
Old November 21st, 2018, 10:58 PM #8
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Since I had nothing spoiling me I legit thought Power Rangers was finished.
Same.

Until Christmas when I saw the Power Rangers Lost Galaxy sweepstakes commercial and squeed.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 11:01 PM #9
> AkaCornSnackEtc
14 Days :(

AkaCornSnackEtc
14 Days :(

I guess you could say I wasn't doing much of anything really.

But I loved watching it on "The best of the Power Rangers" DVD.
AkaCornSnackEtc is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 11:10 PM #10
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

Same.

Until Christmas when I saw the Power Rangers Lost Galaxy sweepstakes commercial and squeed.
I knew the show was going to keep going after PRIS. There were rumors going around about how PRLG was going to be called "Power Rangers in Time", and that Zordon would become evil in it, and T.J. would be captured. Another is that Adam would return as the Red Ranger, Carlos would be a Green Ranger again, Andros would be a Blue Ranger, and Ashley and Cassie would keep their colors. Of course none of this happened, and now that I think about this stuff, I want to slap the taste out of the mouths of the people who thought up this crap.

It was later confirmed for real that "Lost Galaxy" was going to be the name of the new season. Then I saw the toys in the stores, although I don't remember if I saw them before the first PRLG promo, or vice-versa.

I finally saw what three people of the new cast would look like, through images of a Fox Kids magazine. It was Leo, Kendrix, and Kai. Then I'd see Damon in a later promo, and get a better look at Maya once the show started.
Old November 21st, 2018, 11:42 PM #11
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

DarthKamen wrote: View Post

I guess you could say I wasn't doing much of anything really.

But I loved watching it on "The best of the Power Rangers" DVD.
In a similar boat. Kind of wouldn't be born for another year lol.

My first experience of C2D was watching it on the Best of PR DVD also. I had absolutely no idea what In Space was or what the heck was going on but I'd always enjoyed it as a kid.
GrumpyBookworm is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old November 21st, 2018, 11:51 PM #12
> ⚡TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay
TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay

It's been that long?
Man...
Well it was just another normal day for 12 year old me, watching PR after school.
TuxedoK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2018, 02:42 AM #13
> Racer ranger
Activate Beast Power!

Racer ranger
Activate Beast Power!

Before Thanos was turning everybody into dust there was Zordon......
Racer ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 02:58 AM #14
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

We usually got PR a year late over in the UK, so I didn't catch it live, and I had no internet in 1998. When In Space was due to air on CITV in early 1999, and I had gotten the internet, I looked up spoilers for In Space and found to my amazement Zordon had died...I thought for sure it was a fanfiction site I'd stumbled on when I read that. A couple of other searches and I was able to find screencaps of the promos for the story on another site. I finally saw the full thing in December 1999 on CITV.
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2018, 05:28 AM #15
> Silver_Tiger
VIP Rider

Silver_Tiger
VIP Rider

I was in shock for nearly 2 months after. I couldn't even talk for about an hour after the finale. Surely convinced they'ed "really" say what happened to Zordon in Lost Galaxy, they'd pick up right where they left of... Except... They didn't 😭
Silver_Tiger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2018, 04:02 PM #16
> Windgrail
Legacy Warnut

Windgrail
Legacy Warnut

hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

Same.

That was my EXACT experience. I think the contest was about airing the premiere of PRLG at your local school, if I recall.
Windgrail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2018, 08:20 PM #17
> PR Master
Beige Ranger

PR Master
Beige Ranger

When I first saw C2D I was amazed... But scared that PR was done. I don't think they showed a PRLG teaser after part 2. I'm grateful PRLG happened though, loved that series.
PR Master is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2018, 08:24 PM #18
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

PR Master wrote: View Post

When I first saw C2D I was amazed... But scared that PR was done. I don't think they showed a PRLG teaser after part 2. I'm grateful PRLG happened though, loved that series.
They didn't show a trailer right after. They showed the first trailer in January 1999.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 10:04 PM #19
> BlitzRangers
Power Rangers Blitz

BlitzRangers
Power Rangers Blitz

Storm Eagle wrote: View Post

They didn't show a trailer right after. They showed the first trailer in January 1999.
They did show the trailer right after, watch the original airing VHS record of the episode the trailer is hinted about before the KO-35 end scene and is shown after the episode. If you can find the 1998 vhs rip its there.

Most of the trailer is just stock footage, it was more of a tease, they aired it right as the In Space credits closed. Its missing the February 6th part of the one that aired in early 99 but they both are similar.

Last edited by BlitzRangers; November 22nd, 2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 11:04 PM #20
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

They did show the trailer right after, watch the original airing VHS record of the episode the trailer is hinted about before the KO-35 end scene and is shown after the episode. If you can find the 1998 vhs rip its there.

Most of the trailer is just stock footage, it was more of a tease, they aired it right as the In Space credits closed. Its missing the February 6th part of the one that aired in early 99 but they both are similar.
I recorded the initial airing of "Countdown to Destruction part 2", and although I don't have the tape to refer to anymore, I'm pretty sure there was nothing about PRLG right after it.