Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2018, 09:25 AM #121
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,436
Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,436



In the old thread, folks seemed to protest the idea of an 'in Space' movie.

Did you know, that was the original pitch for the 1995 film?

Olsen’s pitch was to take the Power Rangers into space. “The TV series is contained to this town, and we’re doing a movie so we’ve got this opportunity to open it up and take them somewhere else. It lends itself to these kind of adventures anyway,” he says. “So it was this space adventure, and something dire happens back home and they have to save them.” The producers liked Olsen’s take, and chose him to write a script along with John Kamps and a third writer but eventually passed on Olsen’s draft in favour of Kamps. “They liked it, but they liked this other one better,” he says.
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/...he-movie-1995/
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old September 7th, 2018, 10:21 AM #122
> ⚡Dukemon
Moderator
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,808
Dukemon
Moderator
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,808



That's not the same thing lol. And the film did take us into Space; this just sounds like it was more world hopping.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 10:38 AM #123
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,436
Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,436



Even during the space seasons, it was a plot device to move them from one location to another. The value of space in PR is more subtext.

The final film had this as an element, but it plays out just like an MMPR episode. IS and LG have it as a recurring element. I'm not sure why they would make a distinction for the pitch when MMPRTM's space travel is the same generic 'long range teleportation' writing we were used to.
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 10:42 AM #124
> ⚡Dukemon
Moderator
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,808
Dukemon
Moderator
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,808



Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

Even during the space seasons, it was a plot device to move them from one location to another. The value of space in PR is more subtext.

The final film had this as an element, but it plays out just like an MMPR episode. IS and LG have it as a recurring element. I'm not sure why they would make a distinction for the pitch when MMPRTM's space travel is the same generic 'long range teleportation' writing we were used to.
Not what I meant. People aren't debating about a movie taking place in Space; they're debating about whether a movie based on the season "In Space" would work. In my opinion, it wouldn't. That season requires you to have the seasons leading up to it as a base.

You can do rangers traveling in Space, and that's that, but at that point, you're essentially making a new story anyway, so there's no reason to frame it like that. And, I don't really see any value in doing something that both Marvel and DC are going to be doing for the next 10 years at least. (To varying degrees of success.)

I think by default, any Power Rangers movie is going to have something to do with space, even if it's minimal.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 10:48 AM #125
PineapplePizza's Avatar
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,025
PineapplePizza
Power Ranger
PineapplePizza's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,025



Dukemon wrote: View Post

. That season requires you to have the seasons leading up to it as a base.

.
Not really
PineapplePizza is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 10:53 AM #126
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,436
Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,436



I've seen both discussed. MMPR in space, and using the visuals from 1998.

I think both could work, they just need different setups. This franchise has so few retellings (besides DotD), that it's hard to imagine certain stories told in other ways. Fundamentally, the established characters help the lead up from Chase->Nowhere, and are what make the TV episodes impactful. A feature film doesn't have the luxury to do all of that, it has to change elements.

At its core, there needs to be a threat in space, strong enough to motivate the Rangers leaving earth. I don't think that requires a whole movie's worth of setup, and either visual works for the setup.
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 11:36 AM #127
> ⚡Dukemon
Moderator
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,808
Dukemon
Moderator
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,808



PineapplePizza wrote: View Post

Not really
You can watch the season without watching previous seasons, like any year. But if you're adapting the In Space story, you need that foundation. "Finding Zordon" doesn't have much importance if you don't know who Zordon is. (We barely knew who he was at that point.) Not that you can't make a movie in space about finding a Macguffin....but that would just be Guardians.

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

I've seen both discussed. MMPR in space, and using the visuals from 1998.

I think both could work, they just need different setups. This franchise has so few retellings (besides DotD), that it's hard to imagine certain stories told in other ways. Fundamentally, the established characters help the lead up from Chase->Nowhere, and are what make the TV episodes impactful. A feature film doesn't have the luxury to do all of that, it has to change elements.

At its core, there needs to be a threat in space, strong enough to motivate the Rangers leaving earth. I don't think that requires a whole movie's worth of setup, and either visual works for the setup.
I'm not really sure MMPR in space would work as a standalone story. It kind of works for the '95 movie because we're already aware of those characters. It feels cinematic because they're finally going to space. I don't think it's that special anymore.

As for adapting In Space into its own film, see above. I don't think it would work in the same way as MMPR being adapted does.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 11:48 AM #128
SonicBlueRanger's Avatar
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,020
SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger
SonicBlueRanger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,020



It's impossible but man I'd kill for a film franchise in the style of the old Star Trek films.

Old Rangers going on new adventures and developing past where they were on the series itself.
SonicBlueRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 11:51 AM #129
> ⚡Dukemon
Moderator
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,808
Dukemon
Moderator
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,808



SonicBlueRanger wrote: View Post

It's impossible but man I'd kill for a film franchise in the style of the old Star Trek films.

Old Rangers going on new adventures and developing past where they were on the series itself.
Now that, I could see working, and I'd be up for it. Take some of the old actors, take some new actors, create movie original stories that kind of tie into the shows, but leave the show narrative alone.

The problem is getting mainstream interest for it.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 12:23 PM #130
maslego's Avatar
> maslego
Idea Ranger
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,773
maslego
Idea Ranger
maslego's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,773



Dukemon wrote: View Post

Yeah, we do. Phantom Thieves have been in American cinema for years. They're referred to as "Gentlemen Thieves", and they're not as popular as in Japan, but they're definitely found in media.

I would say the decision is going to depend on how Beast Morphers does, and what sells best. ToQGer and Zyuohger are both still on the table as well.
Don't forget Kyurangers
maslego is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 01:01 PM #131
> ⚡Dukemon
Moderator
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,808
Dukemon
Moderator
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,808



maslego wrote: View Post

Don't forget Kyurangers
I wasn't lol. Pixelated was asking which one Hasbro would be more likely to adapt out of that and Lupato. I was just addressing there's no real way to assume one or the other; especially now.

Last edited by Dukemon; September 7th, 2018 at 02:50 PM.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 02:37 PM #132
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,808
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,808



Dukemon wrote: View Post

Now that, I could see working, and I'd be up for it. Take some of the old actors, take some new actors, create movie original stories that kind of tie into the shows, but leave the show narrative alone.

The problem is getting mainstream interest for it.
Which old actors from the show do you think would be great to do this kind of thing aside from the obvious?
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 02:53 PM #133
> ⚡Dukemon
Moderator
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,808
Dukemon
Moderator
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,808



AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

Which old actors from the show do you think would be great to do this kind of thing aside from the obvious?
I think the Time Force cast as a whole would be a pretty good bet. Time Travel/Dimensional Travel is the new Space Travel. Assuming it doesn't get too played out in the next few years, I could see that being the kernel for a movie story.

Something akin to HyperForce, but done in the style of a movie narrative. It's tough though- you have to really play to the mainstream crowd with these things, and that would require efficient writing.

Or, and this is spit-balling off of something heard on Hashtag show, maybe you adapt something like Kyuranger as a movie series vs a TV series? (With older actors returning to play some of the rangers.)
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 03:29 PM #134
Poweranimals's Avatar
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 35,690
Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!
Poweranimals's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 35,690



The problem is that I don't know how many Ranger actors would be able to be taken seriously in a feature film.
Poweranimals is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 04:15 PM #135
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,608
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,608



Poweranimals wrote: View Post

The problem is that I don't know how many Ranger actors would be able to be taken seriously in a feature film.
You just know that JDF would want to be involved, and can you imagine the horror?
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old September 7th, 2018, 05:20 PM #136
Alitain's Avatar
> Alitain
God of Benevolence
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 16,189
Alitain
God of Benevolence
Alitain's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 16,189



Dukemon wrote: View Post

Yeah, we do. Phantom Thieves have been in American cinema for years. They're referred to as "Gentlemen Thieves", and they're not as popular as in Japan, but they're definitely found in media.

I would say the decision is going to depend on how Beast Morphers does, and what sells best. ToQGer and Zyuohger are both still on the table as well.
Yeah, it's a hard guess at this point especially since now we can't leave out those past unadapted seasons either. If BM does well, I could see Hasbro shooting for Kyuranger because it'd allow them to really rake in the toy money(potentially) after a lighter season like BM. On the other hand, they may want to play it a bit safe still and go with something more in the "normal" range of toys/rangers/etc. LuPat might kinda be in that range, but it has the oddity of it's setup which Hasbro may or may not want to tackle with their second series.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 05:37 PM #137
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 82,516
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 82,516



Peter wrote: View Post

You just know that JDF would want to be involved, and can you imagine the horror?
Hey, his Shattered Grid trailer got more views than any video on Hasbro's YouTube channel! Three times as much!
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 06:44 PM #138
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,608
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,608



hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

Hey, his Shattered Grid trailer got more views than any video on Hasbro's YouTube channel! Three times as much!
That is simultaneously heart-warming and gut-wrenching.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (2)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old September 7th, 2018, 08:22 PM #139
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,436
Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,436



Everything is gut-wrenching, if you laugh hard enough.
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2018, 05:09 PM #140
PineapplePizza's Avatar
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,025
PineapplePizza
Power Ranger
PineapplePizza's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,025



jsmoothsoulbeats wrote: View Post

.
Making a non cannon movie that is still tied to the show was stupid.
It wasn’t tied to the show though.

That’s the whole point of being non-canon.
PineapplePizza is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.