Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2018, 08:56 PM #1041
Slowpokeking's Avatar
> Slowpokeking
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 778
Slowpokeking
Power Ranger
Slowpokeking's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 778



Siriursus wrote: View Post


And the idea that the Horde will allow Adora to be good and have friendships seems to run counter to the actual point that she was kidnapped for: to be a weapon against the Power of Grayskull. She's not a random person, her kidnapping wasn't random, it was done as a point, so yeah, I have to say, the idea that the Horde allows Adora to waltz around without enchantments or deep rooted gaslighting seems a bit out there.
That's why I'm talking about making Shadow Weaver keep her secretly, use lies to corrupt her and trying to use the power of She Ra for the Horde, or herself. That would be more reasonable and create some drama between Adora and Shadow Weaver.


If there was a 3rd season of the 2002 series, Hordak could have used Adora to open the seal of him.
Slowpokeking is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 08:56 PM #1042
MutekiDragon's Avatar
> MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 615
MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
MutekiDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 615



Xenotome wrote: View Post

They're not obligated to use the canon of comics to base their new series on. You can continue to read your stories, but that is not the baseline of what they're using. This is kind of like being pissed off that Disney didn't use the EU to build their Star Wars movies off of. They're under no obligation to honor any of that.
Except for the fact the EU in Star wars isn't canon while the minicomics, DC Comics and shows for He-Man are all canon. Kinda apples and oranges there.
MutekiDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 08:57 PM #1043
Harpsikord's Avatar
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,361
Harpsikord
Prince of Evil
Harpsikord's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,361



Siriursus wrote: View Post

Literally none of you have been nice to him. Cut the bullshit, you don't like his opinion, he doesn't agree with yours, that's all there is to it.
I was plenty nice until I was thrown a dismissive attitude for no reason.

And the truth? The majority of you are factually incorrect. This She-Ra can be anything it wants to do be, that's 100 percent the truth, but a lot of you in regards to the actual story of MOTU or POP are basing your information on vague memories of Filmation's cartoons, and that's cool, but it's not based on fact. The stories have evolved and grown since then, and while She-Ra can and will be different and that is totally what they're going for, to say that it's not different from the stories we've been getting as fans since 1992 is just not true.
I'm not one of these people but it's true, this isn't what we've been getting since 1992. It's notably different. Maybe not amazingly so, but different.

And the idea that the Horde will allow Adora to be good and have friendships seems to run counter to the actual point that she was kidnapped for: to be a weapon against the Power of Grayskull. She's not a random person, her kidnapping wasn't random, it was done as a point, so yeah, I have to say, the idea that the Horde allows Adora to waltz around without enchantments or deep rooted gaslighting seems a bit out there.
Adora was probably kidnapped as an infant, so she was raised in the Horde. Her making friends and then ultimately choosing to side with the good guys is basically an argument of nature vs nurture or choosing your better instincts over what's familiar. It's good storytelling.
Harpsikord is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 08:57 PM #1044
Virus's Avatar
> Virus
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,429
Virus
Power Ranger
Virus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,429



Virus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 08:58 PM #1045
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 82,417
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 82,417



Slowpokeking wrote: View Post

It's the same thing, changing a tone of the IP require a lot of works.
The categorical difference is only to delineate who had to devise their stories from scratch, which is infinitely more difficult than adjusting teleplay for established work.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 08:59 PM #1046
Slowpokeking's Avatar
> Slowpokeking
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 778
Slowpokeking
Power Ranger
Slowpokeking's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 778



Harpsikord wrote: View Post

Adora was probably kidnapped as an infant, so she was raised in the Horde. Her making friends and then ultimately choosing to side with the good guys is basically an argument of nature vs nurture or choosing your better instincts over what's familiar. It's good storytelling.
Why should the Horde train her to be nice instead of making her hate Grayskull and become a weapon for the Horde?

The Horde is not some nice organization, they are evil conquerors. There is no way they would be nice towards her and allow her to be a good naive girl.
Slowpokeking is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:00 PM #1047
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,715
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,715



MutekiDragon wrote: View Post

Except for the fact the EU in Star wars isn't canon while the minicomics, DC Comics and shows for He-Man are all canon. Kinda apples and oranges there.
Canon to what? It's only relevant if you want it to be. If you're telling an origin story then obviously the stories from beyond that in comics aren't going to be relevant. They're no more canon than the EU was. They're obviously going to be introducing their own He-Man down the road too given that they've already shown concept art for Adam. It's a new beginning, not a continuation of anything.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:01 PM #1048
Slowpokeking's Avatar
> Slowpokeking
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 778
Slowpokeking
Power Ranger
Slowpokeking's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 778



hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

The categorical difference is only to delineate who had to devise their stories from scratch, which is infinitely more difficult than adjusting teleplay for established work.
But you can do whatever you want without considering making changes and turns to force it to fit well, that's your advantage.

And truly, if you just want to keep the basic elements, it's not much different than totally rewrite everything, it's not like She Ra's good VS evil story is so big of a deal.
Slowpokeking is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:02 PM #1049
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,715
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,715



Slowpokeking wrote: View Post

Why should the Horde train her to be nice instead of making her hate Grayskull and become a weapon for the Horde?

The Horde is not some nice organization, they are evil conquerors. There is no way they would be nice towards her and allow her to be a good naive girl.
Does your life have no nuance or shades of gray in it? Because you seem to be a very "It's black or it's white" type of person...
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:04 PM #1050
MutekiDragon's Avatar
> MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 615
MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
MutekiDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 615



Slowpokeking wrote: View Post

Why should the Horde train her to be nice instead of making her hate Grayskull and become a weapon for the Horde?

The Horde is not some nice organization, they are evil conquerors. There is no way they would be nice towards her and allow her to be a good naive girl.
You keep making the Horde seem like brutes but the thing is Hordak isn't dumb. He most likely had her raised that way on purpose.

Xenotome wrote: View Post

Canon to what? It's only relevant if you want it to be. If you're telling an origin story then obviously the stories from beyond that in comics aren't going to be relevant. They're no more canon than the EU was. They're obviously going to be introducing their own He-Man down the road too given that they've already shown concept art for Adam. It's a new beginning, not a continuation of anything.
Canon to the mythos of He-Man. The difference here is that the EU in Star Wars wasn't made by LucasFilms it was made by other people. He-Man on the other hand was made by Mattel with DC for some stuff and Filmation for some stuff. It's not the same thing.
MutekiDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:06 PM #1051
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 82,417
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 82,417



Slowpokeking wrote: View Post

And truly, if you just want to keep the basic elements, it's not much different than totally rewrite everything, it's not like She Ra's good VS evil story is so big of a deal.
But it's not nearly as different as you want to say it is, that's what people have been trying to tell you.

The original cartoon was simplistic. This version is building on that simplicity, not rewriting "everything".
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:10 PM #1052
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,715
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,715



MutekiDragon wrote: View Post

Canon to the mythos of He-Man. The difference here is that the EU in Star Wars wasn't made by LucasFilms it was made by other people. He-Man on the other hand was made by Mattel with DC for some stuff and Filmation for some stuff. It's not the same thing.
Okay, but it's not like random people just started writing EU books without LucasFilms knowledge or consent. They're all licensed to the various companies to make these books. Just like Filmation licensed the show to DC. Now just like LucasFilms when they're getting ready to make mainline content again they're saying... those don't matter anymore. They may matter to the ORIGINAL She-Ra timeline, but this isn't the original She-Ra timeline. This is its own series.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:16 PM #1053
Slowpokeking's Avatar
> Slowpokeking
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 778
Slowpokeking
Power Ranger
Slowpokeking's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 778



Xenotome wrote: View Post

Does your life have no nuance or shades of gray in it? Because you seem to be a very "It's black or it's white" type of person...
I don't think shades of gray would be good to put on the Horde, especially on this occasion because they have a specific purpose.
Slowpokeking is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:17 PM #1054
> FET-Kun
Dude In A Terriermon Suit
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,179
FET-Kun
Dude In A Terriermon Suit
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,179



Siriursus wrote: View Post

Literally none of you have been nice to him. Cut the bullshit, you don't like his opinion, he doesn't agree with yours, that's all there is to it.
Yeah, we don't like his opinion. No kidding. But that's not the core of our problem here, and if you had been following this discussion as you seem to indicate, you would know this. It's the stating of opinions as fact, where things get off the rails. Put that together with the seemingly inability to follow a progressive discussion and retreading of points that were already talked about, and it quickly becomes a mess.

Nice to him? I've been here a long time... we've got kid gloves on.

Siriursus wrote: View Post

And the truth? The majority of you are factually incorrect. This She-Ra can be anything it wants to do be, that's 100 percent the truth, but a lot of you in regards to the actual story of MOTU or POP are basing your information on vague memories of Filmation's cartoons, and that's cool, but it's not based on fact. The stories have evolved and grown since then, and while She-Ra can and will be different and that is totally what they're going for, to say that it's not different from the stories we've been getting as fans since 1992 is just not true.
Who is making the argument, that this new She-Ra isn't a huge departure from the original? I know it's taking a lot of liberties, and many of my friends who love the original know and don't mind this at all. Did you jump in like, a page back and are trying to join in halfheartedly?

I'd say, for shows like She-Ra and He-Man, can't really blame them for taking liberties, when the mythos aren't that fleshed out in the first place. Of course, I'm speaking within the context of the show, not sure if this universe has had much expansion in other mediums.
FET-Kun is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:18 PM #1055
Slowpokeking's Avatar
> Slowpokeking
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 778
Slowpokeking
Power Ranger
Slowpokeking's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 778



MutekiDragon wrote: View Post

You keep making the Horde seem like brutes but the thing is Hordak isn't dumb. He most likely had her raised that way on purpose.
What are you talking about?

If the Horde are brutes they would have killed Adora right way there.

They stole her and raise her there obviously for a purpose, to make her the weapon against Grayskull. Of course they would use their chance to raise her into a weapon against Grayskull or it could backfire easily at them.

THAT actually.makes the Horde much more intelligent and sinister, otherwise they would look dumb and silly by making Adora a good girl. You don't want your weapon to be nice, you want her to be cruel against the enemies. This is why I brought up Shadow Weaver because she's the right one to execute such plan.
Slowpokeking is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:18 PM #1056
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,715
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,715



Slowpokeking wrote: View Post

I don't think shades of gray would be good to put on the Horde, especially on this occasion because they have a specific purpose.
Yeah, I got it. To be the "Bad Guys" not really imaginative now is it?
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:19 PM #1057
Virus's Avatar
> Virus
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,429
Virus
Power Ranger
Virus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,429



FET-Kun wrote: View Post





I'd say, for shows like She-Ra and He-Man, can't really blame them for taking liberties, when the mythos aren't that fleshed out in the first place. Of course, I'm speaking within the context of the show, not sure if this universe has had much expansion in other mediums.
It has, it just hasn't been as high profile or consistent as something like Transformers has had
Virus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:20 PM #1058
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,715
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,715



Slowpokeking wrote: View Post

What are you talking about?

If the Horde are brutes they would have killed Adora right way there.

They stole her and raise her there obviously for a purpose, to make her the weapon against Grayskull. Of course they would use their chance to raise her into a weapon against Grayskull or it could backfire easily at them.

THAT actually.makes the Horde much more intelligent and sinister, otherwise they would look dumb and silly by making Adora a good girl.
So what would be the game plan here, champ? Cause Adora's gotta become She-Ra somehow. Her being with the Horde is the preamble, not the the show. You seem overly focused on it though.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:22 PM #1059
MutekiDragon's Avatar
> MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 615
MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
MutekiDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 615



Xenotome wrote: View Post

Okay, but it's not like random people just started writing EU books without LucasFilms knowledge or consent. They're all licensed to the various companies to make these books. Just like Filmation licensed the show to DC. Now just like LucasFilms when they're getting ready to make mainline content again they're saying... those don't matter anymore. They may matter to the ORIGINAL She-Ra timeline, but this isn't the original She-Ra timeline. This is its own series.
And this series fits into the He-Man multiverse. Those series are as much canon as this new one will be.

Slowpokeking wrote: View Post

I don't think shades of gray would be good to put on the Horde, especially on this occasion because they have a specific purpose.
Didn't the Horde and Evil Army each have a purpose though? Skeletor wanted Caste Grayskull for himself for example.
MutekiDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:24 PM #1060
Slowpokeking's Avatar
> Slowpokeking
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 778
Slowpokeking
Power Ranger
Slowpokeking's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 778



Xenotome wrote: View Post

Yeah, I got it. To be the "Bad Guys" not really imaginative now is it?
They stole Adora for what? Because Hordak want a daughter? Or to let her have a nice childhood and grow up as a good girl? They are not that nice or silly.

Obviously they wanted to use her as a weapon against Grayskull, of course they would train her to be cruel and ruthless so she could actually fight her real people.

Villains can have some nice moments, but making them nice during such important sinister plan would make them look silly and like "draco in pants".

Xenotome wrote: View Post

So what would be the game plan here, champ? Cause Adora's gotta become She-Ra somehow. Her being with the Horde is the preamble, not the the show. You seem overly focused on it though.
Because it's her origin and should play a big part in her story/character development, of course it has to be reasonable and create drama.
Slowpokeking is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.