Home Menu

Menu

Old July 21st, 2019, 06:01 PM #3141
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Elephant wrote: View Post

I don't want Amit near Power Rangers and "trying to fix continuity" after he talked about his plans to kill all the RPM Rangers and a bunch of stuff that doesn't make any sense with PR's continuity. "In the Driver's Seat" was an AMAZING tribute to RPM compared to Amit's plans with his "RPM Crossover".

Just the fact that he thought that was a good idea at any point is a problem. I dont care if it was a "rough draft", you felt it was good enough to post online. It would have ended up causing MORE problems over all.
I'm the last person to bring up the whole "dinosaur genocide" thing, because I just don't care, but what about the dinosaur genocide?

For one, it's a non issue, the show keeps chugging along. On the other hand, it's clear that other people have equally stupid ideas, and it's not coming from a place of fanon.

Xenotome wrote: View Post

that the man can't be trusted left off of any sort of leash.
So you're telling me Hasbro should keep him on a leash?

The revisionism shit, that's obvious. There's not much that hasn't been said before. I could also speculate on timelines, and his intentions, but there aren't many (any?) other writers for PR that the fandom has picked apart and put under the same microscope.
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 06:24 PM #3142
> Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

The revisionism shit, that's obvious. There's not much that hasn't been said before. I could also speculate on timelines, and his intentions, but there aren't many (any?) other writers for PR that the fandom has picked apart and put under the same microscope.
Has any other Writer ever purported things like Amit has? That Hexagon WAS the plan for Ninja Storm before the decision to move to NZ came about? Even though prior to the decision to move to NZ there was no future for the show?

Amit Bhaumik wrote:
The “Hexagon” was the original plan for the 11th season of Power Rangers to adapt the Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger season of Super Sentai for the season after Power Rangers Wild Force.

As writing for the PRWF season finished and production was wrapping up, I began researching and drawing up plans to adapt Hurricanger for an 11th season expected to start filming in LA.
Gimme a fucking break...
Xenotome is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 07:02 PM #3143
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Has any other Writer ever purported things like Amit has? That Hexagon WAS the plan for Ninja Storm before the decision to move to NZ came about? Even though prior to the decision to move to NZ there was no future for the show?
The Amit situation is a unique one, we don't have that kind of insight to other series writers' failures. By posting that stuff, he's asking for feedback and critique. It creates a skewed perception that he's the hackiest writer.

If that were it, I would be in his camp. When you add lies and grandstanding to the mix, I have a lot less sympathy. More people should pick apart his "pitches".

I can divorce that from his professional output, and praise the things he did well, without giving a preface about his blog posts. That's what separates the nonsense fanon from the approved, produced scripts.
Old July 21st, 2019, 07:29 PM #3144
> TyrannoRanger
Power Ranger

TyrannoRanger
Power Ranger

I really hope we geet a throwaway line about
Rocky and Jason both having access to the red power coin. Especially since we saw Rocky use it a year ago
TyrannoRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 07:33 PM #3145
> Elephant
Blue Blitz Ranger, GO!

Elephant
Blue Blitz Ranger, GO!

I'm the last person to bring up the whole "dinosaur genocide" thing, because I just don't care, but what about the dinosaur genocide?
The Dino Supercharge finale was the single worst episode in the entire history of the franchise. At least Judd got wise and did what he could to fix it: Putting Dino Charge in a separate dimension from the rest of the show. But we still saw all the Dino Charge character help the Rangers a minute before their death and the Super Ninja Steel first episode proved that the particular timeline still continued onward.

I could write an encyclopedia of the disgust I had for that episode, but the point that bothers me about Amit's pitch more is: He didn't want to kill off his own characters, he wanted to kill off character he had no involvement with and completely screw up what Eddie and Judd's intentions they had behind RPM and what made it so successful in this fanbase. He wanted Venjix from Forever Red to be the same Venjix from RPM. That cannot be done because we know how Venjix was created in RPM but he wanted to shoehorn his origins in there anyway because "Same name". At least when Judd screwed up Dino Charge, it was his own creation he was screwing up.
Elephant is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 07:36 PM #3146
> Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

Reinforcements from the Future is the best episode in PR History in terms of writing, story, plot-progresion, characters and worldbuilding so say what you want about Amit but when he has somebody over him to rangle him in a bit dude can turn in QUALITY stuff.

The best way I can describe him is that when he's bad he's extremely bad but when he's good he's exceptional.
Lordoftherangers is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 07:39 PM #3147
> Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Lordoftherangers wrote: View Post

Reinforcements from the future is the best episode in PR History so say what you want about Amit but when he has somebody over him to rangle him in a bit dude can turn in QUALITY stuff.
Ehh... that ending says not good things...

"Yay! You helped us! Ransik's forgiven for all the murders he caused! Lets have a picnic! And he's no longer deformed and thus acceptable! Really doesn't help with the problem with racism that Time Force had but YAY! No more puss eye!"
Old July 21st, 2019, 07:44 PM #3148
> Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

for all the murders he caused!
What about Karone being instantly forgiven for all the murders she caused?
Old July 21st, 2019, 07:46 PM #3149
> Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

What about Karone being instantly forgiven for all the murders she caused?
Also shitty! Whataboutism shouldn't be a thing, but she was also a kidnapped child and essentially brainwashed. And when she figured out all of that, they literally brainwashed her.
Old July 21st, 2019, 08:12 PM #3150
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Blacklisted? You mean, after Samurai? That was a decade after we learned about Hexagon. People can write crazy fanfic, and also write boring adaptations.
Not blacklisted, but rather no longer taken seriously especially once different producers took over.

Him being brought in for Samurai was a confusing moment that in practice seemed like it was a cheap fan pop moment, bring in this known entity from the older fandom to say "hey we remember you guys, here's a nod" that unfortunately was tone deaf in regards to the modern fandom. It was like Tzachor had literally been frozen in time between the end of Saban and return of Saban for PR and had no inkling anything had happened in between.

Hell, the pettiness of Tzachor is probably what made him like Amit in the first place, a yes man who only reinforces his bad ideas.

Forever Red is the most accessible of all cross-series team ups. Just because it has lots of references, doesn't make it inaccessible to newcomers. That's what sets FR apart from its peers. The biggest hurdles for a newcomer are baked into the story - Megaship, Serpentera, the Machine Empire. None of those are attributable to Mr. Fanfic.
I'd argue OaR does a better job because it still flows like a Power Rangers episode with the Power Rangers formula. Forever Red banks entirely on fans knowing details so things can just happen. None of those hurdles are baked into the story, that would imply there's exposition about them. There is not. Unless you know what the Megaship, Serpenterra or machine empire were, the names are meaningless to you as a newcomer and you're not even told why they'd be significant or something to worry about. Hell, no one even bothers explaining to Cole that Serpenterra is supposed to be an all powerful uber-Zord, which would be the logical thing to do in that scene.

Assuming the audience is just old fans with the same level of awareness of what you're writing about and worse have the same opinions about those things as a fan, is a defining trait of the fanfic writing style.

Reading his very detailed claimingly Outline he presented for Hexagon from the time of Ninja Storm's Preproduction (Which you can tell from the outset was not written entirely in 2001 and was actually built quite recently to the time of his posting given details that wouldn't have been available at the time) that the man can't be trusted left off of any sort of leash.
Don't forget, we're coming up on another anniversary year so he'll probably start releasing more previously unreleased notes and secret pitches from yesteryear he definitely made to Disney.

It'd be fine if he just said "this is how I would have done this" instead of trying to impress some section of fandom somewhere in a way that comes off as just trying to shine up his dwindling fandom fame to milk a little longer.

Reinforcements from the Future is the best episode in PR History in terms of writing, story, plot-progresion, characters and worldbuilding so say what you want about Amit but when he has somebody over him to rangle him in a bit dude can turn in QUALITY stuff.

The best way I can describe him is that when he's bad he's extremely bad but when he's good he's exceptional.
Sure, if you ignore it's a Time Force episode and basically ignores the Wild Force cast and storyline entirely, then introduces a new Time Force story that doesn't really work with the previous one. Introduces a new plot instead of progressing one, adds in weird details like making the Silver Guardians able to hand out speeding tickets in Turtle Cove somehow, still doesn't bother giving anyone not named Wes or Jen the time of day, and that bizarre fan service Jen in leather get up. That part alone just makes me cringe so hard today.

I'd argue he's a great idea man, but needs someone actually able to write and contain his episodes to make them viable. The director of his big three episodes deserves more credit, honestly.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 08:19 PM #3151
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Amit on Samurai makes sense when you consider the similarity in approach between WF and Samurai. Both stuck close to the source material. It's an effective creative shackle.
Old July 21st, 2019, 08:28 PM #3152
> Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Sure, if you ignore it's a Time Force episode and basically ignores the Wild Force cast and storyline entirely
It doesn't though. It might be a little more Time Force heavy but it tied in the WF plotline with the Mut-Orgs. Even if it was a Time Force heavy episode so what? We had like 43 more episodes to focus on the main cast. One episode where the focus it's not on them won't kill anybody.

then introduces a new Time Force story that doesn't really work with the previous one.
How?

Introduces a new plot instead of progressing one
Other team ups did the same. Trakeenas Revenge, Time For Lightspeed, Thunder Storm

I will give the IS/LG team up for connecting to the overreaching storyline of LG. That was really cool

still doesn't bother giving anyone not named Wes or Jen the time of day,
Eric and Taylor...and Ransik.

and that bizarre fan service Jen in leather get up. That part alone just makes me cringe so hard today.
Well I think it looked cool. You say it didn't add anything but it really didn't subtract anything either. Plus it's just clothes. It's no big deal.
Old July 21st, 2019, 08:43 PM #3153
> kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

It doesn't though. It might be a little more Time Force heavy but it tied in the WF plotline with the Mut-Orgs. Even if it was a Time Force heavy episode so what? We had like 43 more episodes to focus on the main cast. One episode where the focus it's not on them won't kill anybody.
It was enough that Time Force fans, or anyone really, can watch that team up and learn little about Wild Force. Those teamups are that self contained, and slavish to their premise like The Rescue Mission. While Forever Red benefitted from this pseudo clean slate(anyone can drop in and enjoy), RftF is too much Time Force and that is still a sin for teamup writing.

Thunder Storm is a far more effective team up, making use of everyone and heavily involving both teams' storylines. In that regard, PR also has a better track record with solo teamups (True Blue to the Rescue, A Poisy Show) then with full teams.
kibapower is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 08:44 PM #3154
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

I don't want Amit near Power Rangers and "trying to fix continuity" after he talked about his plans to kill all the RPM Rangers and a bunch of stuff that doesn't make any sense with PR's continuity.
Amit lost me when his Go-Busters concept involved a standoffish Leo.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 08:48 PM #3155
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

The Dino Supercharge finale was the single worst episode in the entire history of the franchise.
This. There have been shitty episodes, lazy episodes, cheap episodes, badly-written episodes, badly-acted episodes ... but there has never been a case of the heroes of the franchise accidentally committing multiple counts of planetary genocide, in the space of 20 minutes. And lord willing, there never will be again.

Like you said, Judd tried to fix it, whenever we checked back in with the characters in Ninja Steel. The problem is, the episode was toxic. Anything that acknowledged or touched or referenced "End of Extinction", didn't fix anything, it just made it worse.

I could also write that encyclopedia.

That's why, "Amit is the worst thing for this chance" rings false, for me.

I'm with Zeo Cereal on that one. Non fan-writers have done far worse things.

I'd argue OaR does a better job because it still flows like a Power Rangers episode with the Power Rangers formula.
Except OaR was awful, and the visual equivalent of being tortured for 40 minutes.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 08:50 PM #3156
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Even if it was a Time Force heavy episode so what?
A team up shouldn't give the older team more time than the new team. They're the guest stars in that season, it is still the new team's season. They should be the surrogate for getting reintroduced to the old team. The best option is giving them equal footing so everyone can work together, giving a true sense of team up by being an episode of both series. Neither team should suffer a loss of focus or time to the other in a team up, otherwise its just a guest spot.

Well I think it looked cool. You say it didn't add anything but it really didn't subtract anything either. Plus it's just clothes. It's no big deal.
We've derailed enough, I don't want to get too far into it, but my problem was the bizarre way it was Fox Kids safe "sexy jen" for no good or even given reason. It made her stand out more than regular clothes would, too. It was nonsensical both in storyline context, for the character, and for the franchise itself.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 08:56 PM #3157
> Jason Drake
Power Ranger

Jason Drake
Power Ranger

I'd argue OaR does a better job because it still flows like a Power Rangers episode with the Power Rangers formula. Forever Red banks entirely on fans knowing details so things can just happen. None of those hurdles are baked into the story, that would imply there's exposition about them. There is not. Unless you know what the Megaship, Serpenterra or machine empire were, the names are meaningless to you as a newcomer and you're not even told why they'd be significant or something to worry about. Hell, no one even bothers explaining to Cole that Serpenterra is supposed to be an all powerful uber-Zord, which would be the logical thing to do in that scene.

Assuming the audience is just old fans with the same level of awareness of what you're writing about and worse have the same opinions about those things as a fan, is a defining trait of the fanfic writing style.
They're called the EVIL Machine EMPIRE. I feel like the name itself is self explanatory. They show the cogs and everything. And say there about to invade earth. There's not much else to explain really. For the megaship, well it's a giant spaceship it having it's reveal makes sense for a newcomer. Also the name also explains itself really. They do talk about how powerful the zord is in the Megaship, saying it has more than enough power to destroy the earth. That's more explanation than I am the son of Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa. Thrax is a new concept and they don't really explain him or why his parents even matter. Newcomers also wouldn't get why Angel Grove seems so important or who the hell Doctor O is, or really get Bridge's whole explanation (but then again that was point). The only moment like that in Forever Red is probably the Tommy worship. Jason having an entrance and everything makes sense as soon as says he's the original Red Ranger. Tommy having such dramatic entrance over the Reds doesn't neither is him being called a legend. That stuff is probably fanfic stuff since he's really only a legend in the fact he lasted so long in the show but they don't explain that (and shouldn't as using that kind of thing for dick-measing is a fan thing). And having Cole says he's the greatest Ranger doesn't make sense either. Tommy really didn't do anything that special compared to everyone else in the special. They explain why every else is awesome except for the one dude whose supposed to be awesome.
Jason Drake is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 08:59 PM #3158
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

Hell, no one even bothers explaining to Cole that Serpenterra is supposed to be an all powerful uber-Zord.
There was no need, because clearly it was no match for Cole and his normal sized motorcycle. The ultimate weapon.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 09:33 PM #3159
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaGreen wrote: View Post

There was no need, because clearly it was no match for Cole and his normal sized motorcycle. The ultimate weapon.
People hate on Animus, but that dude knew how to build a bike.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 21st, 2019, 09:39 PM #3160
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

We've derailed enough, I don't want to get too far into it, but my problem was the bizarre way it was Fox Kids safe "sexy jen" for no good or even given reason. It made her stand out more than regular clothes would, too. It was nonsensical both in storyline context, for the character, and for the franchise itself.
It was meant to homage Blade. The music of Wild Force is also influenced by Blade. A lot of people point to The Matrix, and how it shaped the show (particularly with Wild Force and Timeranger), but it's easier to spot Matrix references, and after it released most people forgot about Blade.

I'm not trying to argue against your points, I don't disagree and I don't want to cause a ruckus, but that's why it happened the way it did.

A team up shouldn't give the older team more time than the new team.
Should DiD have focused more on Ninja Steel?

Last edited by Zeo Cereal; July 21st, 2019 at 09:53 PM.