Old October 20th, 2016, 12:59 PM #61
> Cyrax9
VIP Rider

Cyrax9
VIP Rider

hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

CHILDREN!

I don't think I saw any?
Holy... I think you're right! Every single person in that video was a 20 or 30–something with a very cosmopolitan setting surrounding them. To me that suggests that Nintendo is taking the PS4 and XB1 as serious direct competitors again and not just "those other consoles with a different angle;" it seems like they know they need the people who the Wii U alienated back and not just a new core audience of kids.

Okay, as for the console itself, color me impressed. This looks like most of what I was hoping for from the Wii U, and it feels like Nintendo is paying attention to the criticisms leveled at that system and addressing them instead of continuing to ignore them. That alone speaks volumes to me. The handheld/console hybrid concept is one Nintendo seems to have been trying since the GameCube/GBA were able to be linked, and that they fumbled with again on the Wii U, but it looks like the Switch has finally nailed it. It's a console when "docked" and a handheld when not "docked," which is kind of the route I was hoping the Wii U would have gone it.

Questions I still want answered:
1. Is there going to be some sort of add–on peripheral to offer backwards compatibility with the Wii/Wii U when docked so that I don't need to leave legacy consoles connected to play games that I enjoy? Nintendo was good about this for the past few generations, and I'd hate to see them get sloppy with it now.

2. What are the tech specs on this thing? More specifically, what makes this worthy of being a proper "console" and not just a handheld with an HDMI cable? I'd love to know if "docking" the console activates some extra processing power to really open up the system's capabilities, or if we're going to be limited to mobile–quality processing power that might slight 3rd party support developing for other systems. This thing needs to be able to go toe–to–toe with the PS4/XB1 and more importantly, win when it does. It would be nice if using the TV opened up some enhanced graphics options for larger screens.

3. Speaking of tech specs, how many people can play on one of these? It looks like this is another one player console, which is a bit concerning. I like the idea of playing with friends, but I know people who won't buy one of these that would play with a friend if they could just add a controller. I hope Nintendo has a way to do that for when you want to play with a friend who can't plunk down $350 for a new console just to play a game at your place.

Random thoughts on the Nintendo Switch:

1. It's nice to see them call this thing something other than "Wii Whatever," although in a weird way, "Wii Switch" almost sounds like it would have made more sense than Wii U in the naming department. I'm glad to lose the Wii stigma though, even if I feel this console might have been more suited for that branding than the last one.

2. The controller for console mode needs work; it looks too blocky and cumbersome, but if Nintendo can make it a little more ergonomic it'd be perfect. It looks like their was an alternative controller in the video too, but I'd like to see Nintendo stop pushing "controller hell" if that's the case and ensure that I won't need to do anything with the blocky main controller to use a more ergonomic one the way the Wii U still required the gamepad with a pro controller just to use the headphone jack. (Oh and heaven help you if you wanted to use the Wii U pro controller with Wii games, that's a mistake they should learn from as well.)

3. DS–esque cartridges, cool!

4. WTF. Autodesk is listed as one of Nintendo's developers? The last time I checked Autodesk made things like Revvit, (CAD software) and Smoke, (an editing an FX/compositing program,) not video games. What are they developing for a Nintendo console? I'm definitely intrigued by that.

I'm pretty pumped for this overall, but the lack of a price tag is slightly disturbing, as I'm pretty sure that means this is going to be at least $350, and possibly more.
Cyrax9 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:17 PM #62
> ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com

ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com

And console Pokémon... I feel it... IT'S ON THE HORIZON.....when this thing goes down $100 at least...

But seriously, this looks like it could be replacing both the Wii U and 3DS. A small cartridge system for home system? What? AND IT'S PORTABLE? WHAT?
ultrakill is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:24 PM #63
> Tigran
Power Ranger

Tigran
Power Ranger

It has a kick stand.. and a headphone jack...

Already more impressive than the newest iphone.
Tigran is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:25 PM #64
> red-thunder
Power Ranger

red-thunder
Power Ranger

Cyrax9 wrote: View Post

Questions I still want answered:
1. Is there going to be some sort of add–on peripheral to offer backwards compatibility with the Wii/Wii U when docked so that I don't need to leave legacy consoles connected to play games that I enjoy? Nintendo was good about this for the past few generations, and I'd hate to see them get sloppy with it now.
I hope so. I don't have a lot of space to have tons of consoles lying around, so backwards complatibility is perfect for me. I hate that Sony stopped doing it
red-thunder is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:25 PM #65
> TheLastBlade
Power Ranger

TheLastBlade
Power Ranger

ultrakill wrote: View Post

And console Pokémon... I feel it... IT'S ON THE HORIZON.....when this thing goes down $100 at least...

But seriously, this looks like it could be replacing both the Wii U and 3DS. A small cartridge system for home system? What? AND IT'S PORTABLE? WHAT?
Maybe we can get a GOOD version of the Pokémon colosseum games?
TheLastBlade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:36 PM #66
> ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER

Decade

Tigran wrote: View Post

It has a kick stand.. and a headphone jack...

Already more impressive than the newest iphone.
I never even used the headphone jack on my 3DS or my iPhone 5. Not sure why people are still so upset by that.

I got the iPhone 7 plus, I have no intention to use any headphones for the foreseeable future. But there's the stereo adapter, and lightning headpones that came with it. So I feel I have options.
Decade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:36 PM #67
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TheLastBlade wrote: View Post

Maybe we can get a GOOD version of the Pokémon colosseum games?
Hey man. Don't you go dissing Colosseum.

...but otherwise, yeah, now they actually can make the core Pokémon games with the visuals and power of a console now. Or rather, they have no excuse not to.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:37 PM #68
> Tigran
Power Ranger

Tigran
Power Ranger

It was just a joke Decade.

Although as someone who ends up in the hospital a lot.. The Kick stand is -really- something I am glad about.
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:41 PM #69
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Decade wrote: View Post

I never even used the headphone jack on my 3DS or my iPhone 5. Not sure why people are still so upset by that.

I got the iPhone 7 plus, I have no intention to use any headphones for the foreseeable future. But there's the stereo adapter, and lightning headpones that came with it. So I feel I have options.
Well since you brought up differing lifestyles in the Video Games Thread...

With mobile devices I am out of the house a lot. And in places where things can get kind of noisy, and as such need headphones so I can actually listen to whatever is on my device. It applies to my 3DS too.

Even at home, it is kind of a matter of respect to plug in headphones if other people are around so that they aren't distracted by the sounds coming from my mobile device.

Also, on my iPhone, I listen to a profuse amount of podcasts, and it would get kind of annoying to people around me if they keep hearing people swearing profusely because they botched a dice roll in a D&D Actual Play.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:44 PM #70
> ϟDecade

Decade

tasti man LH wrote: View Post

Well since you brought up differing lifestyles in the Video Games Thread...

With mobile devices I am out of the house a lot. And in places where things can get kind of noisy, and as such need headphones so I can actually listen to whatever is on my device. It applies to my 3DS too.

Even at home, it is kind of a matter of respect to plug in headphones if other people are around so that they aren't distracted by the sounds coming from my mobile device.

Also, on my iPhone, I listen to a profuse amount of podcasts, and it would get kind of annoying to people around me if they keep hearing people swearing profusely because they botched a dice roll in a D&D Actual Play.
Right, but I feel the options are there.

3DS & portable Switch though, would never leave my home. 3DS has never left my home. I view the world as dirty, so I don't want to take them out.

I already have to wipe my phones down when I get home.
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:46 PM #71
> Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Decade wrote: View Post

Right, but I feel the options are there.

3DS & portable Switch though, would never leave my home. 3DS has never left my home. I view the world as dirty, so I don't want to take them out.

I already have to wipe my phones down when I get home.
No streetpasses?
that's rough!
Tsukasa is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:50 PM #72
> comicstar100
Pirate King

comicstar100
Pirate King

Interesting stuff for sure. I feel like this is more what the Wii U should have been all along. Skyrim being on a cartridge and being mobile on a Nintendo system, now there is something I never thought I'd see. Could that be a sign of more third party support? Ok Nintendo you've got my attention, now show me some launch titles.
comicstar100 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:52 PM #73
> DukeNukem 2417
Power Ranger

DukeNukem 2417
Power Ranger

So Konami is supporting the Nintendo Switch....I guess that means we can play a bunch of crappy licensed pachinko and slot games anywhere we want now.....
DukeNukem 2417 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:52 PM #74
> Tigran
Power Ranger

Tigran
Power Ranger

I think they did. We saw Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, MK, and NBA.

My guess is at least a couple of those will be Launch titles.
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:54 PM #75
> ViRGE
Christmas Cartel Enforcer

ViRGE
Christmas Cartel Enforcer

Cyrax9 wrote: View Post

4. WTF. Autodesk is listed as one of Nintendo's developers? The last time I checked Autodesk made things like Revvit, (CAD software) and Smoke, (an editing an FX/compositing program,) not video games. What are they developing for a Nintendo console? I'm definitely intrigued by that.
They're almost certainly porting the Scaleform middleware to the platform.
ViRGE is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:04 PM #76
> Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

NVIDIA is providing the tech in the Switch:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/1...ntendo-switch/

Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.
Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:05 PM #77
> Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai wrote: View Post

NVIDIA is providing the tech in the Switch:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/1...ntendo-switch/
Yep. Been known for quite some time, actually.
Tsukasa is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:23 PM #78
> DarknessRanger
Darkness Untainted

DarknessRanger
Darkness Untainted

Well, that was a nice proof-of-concept trailer. Now we just need clarification on what we actually saw. New games or ports? Price point? Touch screen? Is the third-party support for new games or Virtual Console where applicable?

At least now they have no excuse not to give it good support and variety since it's serving both markets.
DarknessRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:24 PM #79
> ϟDecade

Decade

DarknessRanger wrote: View Post

Well, that was a nice proof-of-concept trailer. Now we just need clarification on what we actually saw. New games or ports? Price point? Touch screen? Is the third-party support for new games or Virtual Console where applicable?

At least now they have no excuse not to give it good support and variety since it's serving both markets.
I believe the full trailer comes out at 7pm PT / 10pm PT tonight. Hopefully that'll provide some more information.
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:26 PM #80
> Tigran
Power Ranger

Tigran
Power Ranger

Full trailer? Wha?

Tags
itprintsmoney!, switchitup, uhuhuh, why a mini?