Ninja of the Future

GreenNinja
Ninja of the Future

Beast Morphers: Episode 06 - "Hangar Heist"

Hangar Heist
Airs: Saturday, April 13th @ 08:00 AM on Nick

The Fast and the Morphous

---Standard Episode Discussion Rules---

1) Do NOT ask for downloads. Hasbro does not want us posting episode encodes here, so you're not allowed to talk about them at all. You will be warned at first, but repeated asking will result in an infraction. Episodes go live legally on Nick's app in the US, and can be watched there.

2) The thread will remain closed until the episode finishes airing. We do this to prevent play-by-play discussion. You'd be amazed to see how large a thread can get when everyone and their mother decides to post about each individual line dialogue or action of an individual. They threads can be tricky to navigate and we don't need them to be even trickier with tons of extra pages at the beginning. Rest assured that within a couple of minutes of the credits rolling the thread will be opened for all.

Note: If two new episodes air back-to-back there will be one thread opened at the conclusion of the second episode.

3) Do NOT start another thread. There is one thread for each episode. It will be created by a moderator and stickied to the top of the page prior to the episode airing so that it can be quickly opened for discussion. In the off chance that we are late or you're just too antsy to talk about the episode, please do not start another thread. It will be closed immediately and you will most likely receive an infraction.

4) Expect Spoilers It's going to happen folks, it's an episode discussion.
Spoilers are to be expected for Beast Morphers episodes, summaries, descriptions, cast list, and more. What we get about Power Rangers Beast Morphers is fair game.
However if you wish to talk about what happens in Go-Busters episodes not yet adapted by Beast Morphers, then you need to go use the Super Sentai of the Past thread to do so. No bringing up episodes that have only aired overseas, either. Use the international discussion thread for that, and stick to this episode.

If there are any further questions by all means ask away.
GreenNinja is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:32 AM #2
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

Commander Shaw actually mentoring without making it obvious? And sticking up for her son in the process? She's awesome.

We finally got to the megazord! And it's a cool one, too. The rangers all doing their part for the final attack is really good. It makes it feel more like a team effort than it would've if Devon would've just fired the gun alone. (Which, him firing a gun for the sword slash is still weird)

Devon was... weird today. He never seemed that confrontational before. But today, dude got mad at everything that Ravi said. It would've been nice to have a line about how he was still upset about how things went down with his dad last week and apologizing for taking it out on Ravi. That could've been a nice scene. It wasn't bad, (and again, Commander Shaw checking him on it was a good scene) but as is, something felt a little off.

We might not have gotten much from Evox this week, but him blasting an unmorphed Blaze in the chest because he was mad was at least kinda threatening. The tension between the villains is really good, too. I really wanna know what they're building up to. I hope it's something big.

When Ben and Betty appeared after the start, I was a little concerned, but they were actually useful. They saw something going wrong and called HQ right away. That's why I like them. They're goofy, but they really do just wanna help. And then... they went and got cartoony. And that kinda ruined their first good moment in the episode. They're going back to that Victor and Monty style of cartoony violence that doesn't fit with this show as much as they do it. It can be funny, but the more you do it, the less funny it gets. The way it can be funny is if it comes out of nowhere and it's so unexpected that it gets a laugh. After Victor and Monty, it's completely expected and just comes off as bad. But the scene at the end was nice. I expected them to mess something up, but they really had a nice moment with the rangers.

But overall, I really liked this one. We have some tension between the rangers, we have an actual threat, we had a mentor doing some good mentoring, and we have the problems between the villains that seems to be building up to something cool.

Also, Scrozzle kidnapped J! Now we know he's truly evil.

Last edited by AkaGreen; April 13th, 2019 at 05:39 AM.
AkaGreen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:32 AM #3
> maslego
Idea Ranger

maslego
Idea Ranger

Nice NASADA shout out!
Always neat to see the comic relief actually interact with the main plot, though I honestly thought they were going to use the rocket against Roxy.
...HE STOLE BEET J STAG!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
At six episodes I definitely think this is a new record for longest time to get to the megazord.
maslego is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:39 AM #4
> denjiblue
Power Ranger

denjiblue
Power Ranger

Live post:

-Nate creates a warning system.
-Using morph x for fun? Okay.
-That's some rocket
-Ben and Betty made a heat seeking missile.
-Rocket Sim 7? Sounds fun
-Devon needs to let his ego go.
-Simulating the megazord!
-Seems Devon not listening is going to be a theme of this episode.

Commercial break. Awesome episode thus far.

-Nice incorporation of the Benny and Betty theme in the epic mood music
-Meltatron? Hasbro, your Transformers are showing.
-"It's melting time!"

"It's morphin time!"
-"You'll be puddles on the floor!" Kinda dark tbh.

Commercial break

-While the rangers fight, Scrozzle will take some things for himself.
-Two gigadrones eh?
-I love how the zords can work independently of the rangers.
-Using the Meltadrone to your advantage. Clever.
-Megazord sequence initiated.
-That's one sick Megazord
-Virus eliminated.
-Scrozzle has his own plans.
-Devon finally lets his ego go.

Overall, I really liked this episode. It actually gave a good reason for the megazord to appear other than just tradition. The long wait for it also made it so satisfying to finally see.
denjiblue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:42 AM #5
> a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

Holy crap are we gonna get an evil Beet J Stag? I haven't seen all of Go Busters so I have no idea if he started off evil but if he didn't then that's actually gonna be an interesting plot twist. That said I'm loving Beast Morphers so far. One of the things I like the most is that the villains are getting little victories over the Rangers at times. Makes them feel like actual threats.
a squad is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:44 AM #6
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

a squad wrote: View Post

Holy crap are we gonna get an evil Beet J Stag? I haven't seen all of Go Busters so I have no idea if he started off evil but if he didn't then that's actually gonna be an interesting plot twist.
J didn't start off evil, so this is definitely unexpected. I'm really interested to see where they go with this.

Hopefully it's better than when Odious had the gold ninja power star or when Tynamon had the fusion star.
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:46 AM #7
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Maybe he could use J's head to create a monster and that way have the Delta type gigatron.
Dexter1998 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:46 AM #8
> Mr. Underachiever
Thenubucanplaywithoutside

Mr. Underachiever

Devon's behavior was very weird and jarring. He wasn't trained or groomed or promoted to become team leader. Zoey and Ravi requested he be leader because he had the most level head, so him flying off the handle and trying to pull rank when all Ravi did was make a suggestion is too inconsistent with what we've seen from him. I guess we're supposed to believe that he got a big head after stopping that gigadrone, but that's still inconsistent with the humble, happy-to-be-here Devon we saw previously. This episode needed some explanation like Devon was still upset with what happened with his dad, so he's overcompensating and taking it out on his team, but even that doesn't make any sense because of the mayor doing that press conference endorsing the Power Rangers, but it still would have been better than this.

Ben and Betty almost died and they played it for laughs. Again. Were Vic and Monty that popular with the kids? Why do they keep copy and pasting the exact same scenarios for Ben and Betty? At least the episode didn't end with them looking stupid like the last few.

Nice to see Commander Shaw actually act like a mentor and give Devon some advice. Every other episode she's been just... there. I still don't get why the hell she let Devon get that job last week knowing full well it would interfere with their mission.
Mr. Underachiever is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:57 AM #9
> SacredWater
Power Ranger

SacredWater
Power Ranger

This was a great episode. The interior of the hangar was sort of like the Tardis-small on the outside, but huge on the inside. And this series has absolute continuity--Betty tells Ben they were at the hangar "yesterday."
SacredWater is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 06:05 AM #10
> maslego
Idea Ranger

maslego
Idea Ranger

I saw people on twitter theorize that J will end up like the Vision from the comics. Built to destroy the rangers but joins them instead.
maslego is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 06:05 AM #11
> Destiny13777
Power Ranger

Destiny13777
Power Ranger

Admittedly I had to leave part way through the episode so I rewinded through my DVR and did Blaze do nothing this whole episode? I thought Evox told the three of them to do something and I was expecting him to reveal what he did by the end but nope. Seems like a waste of Morph X if he just morphs for the heck of it.
Destiny13777 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 06:15 AM #12
> ⚡ModRn
Dance Like Nobody's Watching

ModRn
Dance Like Nobody's Watching

Random thoughts about the episode:

-Yay, NASADA reference!
-Ugh, Ben & Betty quickly killed the moment.
-Ok, that second scene with Ben & Betty redeemed them again. I go back and forth with these guys....I think less wacky hi-jinks and more of them playing off of their chemistry together is the way to go.
-Love that there's normal human conflict and that they aren't afraid to show our heroes as flawed and still having room to grow. This is an important lesson too....when you start thinking you're hot shit, you start making mistakes. Don't ever stop thinking you can't learn something new or improve yourself.
-Ooh these were some high stakes! It feels like I'm actually watching Power Rangers again.
-Though the actress can be a bit shaky at times, I really love Commander Shaw. More strong female characters, please!
-They still need to work on the sound effects and villain ADR.
-"Make a Gigadrone, stat!" lolz
-Scrozzle continues to ho himself out to Evox while putting the pressure on the avatars. Can't wait to see where this goes....assuming it's actually building up to something.

Overall I like the direction in which Beast Morphers is going. As I've said before, there are still some Saban Brands kinks to work out. And as I've also said, please don't pull a Dino Super Charge on us after making so many improvements.

edit--
I see people saying Devon seems out of character. We're only 6 episodes in, so this seems to be part of his personality and development/growth. When one is under an immense amount of pressure and responsibility, it can be stressful and misplaced aggression can happen as a result...

Last edited by ModRn; April 13th, 2019 at 06:21 AM.
ModRn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old April 13th, 2019, 06:24 AM #13
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Welp, our 'Cause I'm the Red Ranger' type episode. Not really bad, though I agree Devon's attitude came off as a bit odd compared to how he's been. It would've helped if we maybe had a little more of a clash beforehand with Ravi, or maybe Ravi acting like a bit more of a know-it-all despite not being leader and such. Then at least Devon snapping at him would've felt more natural. Instead Devon makes a bogus rocket that I feel just about anyone would've pointed out the fins were wack, and yeah he gets frustrated. I get where they were going, just not the best setup.

Still though, overall the episode was good and I don't think the quality has really dropped to levels we've seen before during Neo Saban so I'll take it. Can improve, definitely, but I think it's a solid 'good'. I still enjoy watching it every week its on. And B&B are again fun, kinda sweet, and actually useful. Yeah yeah, they went for a ride by rocket, but that's just the kind of comedy. Sure, a bit more cartoony than maybe should be done but it's not too big a deal. It basically amounts to the same kind of comedy that you'd see in well...a comedy like Home Alone. Yes, the crooks are totally getting hurt but the injuries are also gags and yeah they're funny. Same here, it's a simple gag, a little amusing, that's really it. But no, I liked how things were set up this episode. Bad guys wanted the Slicer Drone back, Roxy hunted down the not entirely secret hangar. Got Scrozzle to create a suitable bot to get in, attempted to trap the rangers, it was nicely done.

And yeah, seemingly evil J, nice. I wonder if this'll lead to Nate making his ranger tech to stop J and get him back on their side. Seems like a good opportunity for it.

ModRn wrote: View Post

edit--
I see people saying Devon seems out of character. We're only 6 episodes in, so this seems to be part of his personality and development/growth. When one is under an immense amount of pressure and responsibility, it can be stressful and misplaced aggression can happen as a result...
While it's still early yet, we've had a few episodes which is enough to get a basic idea of a character's personality, especially one that's been more or less in the forefront like Devon. And him suddenly getting mad at Ravi after previously being chill with him and everyone, does come off as a bit weird. I mean he gets upset because of his rocket. Not saying it's impossible to get that way, but it does come off as a bit sudden and odd for him. Not the most horrible thing in the world, it's just noticeably odd which is why many of us have commented on it. Point though, he hasn't actually shown being pressured by responsibility or stress. If that was what they were going for that's fine, but it needed a little groundwork to make sense and we just haven't seen that before now.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 07:19 AM #14
> chrisrox110
Power Ranger

chrisrox110
Power Ranger

I still feel odd about how more and more they are using morph-x (which is the source of the rangers powers and possibly the strongest power in the universe) in fun ways to where the villains can just take it since the town seems to be starting to use the energy for everything.
chrisrox110 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 07:49 AM #15
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

Where the hell did Devon's "I'M THE LEADER! I'M ALWAYS RIGHT! I DIDN'T FAIL! EVERYONE ELSE FAILED!" bullshit come from!? Even if this came earlier on, it still would have been out of character for him. But at this point, he's been leader for like 5 episodes and this is suddenly a thing? That's some levels of douchebaggery that I wouldn't even expect from the SPD rangers. He does know Ravi's been training for this stuff longer than him, right?

And...uhhh...did anyone else think Roxy both found and got into the hangar WAY too easily. Like....damn. Not only was the place not very well hidden, but there was zero security? They deserved to have that Robotron (ugh I hate that name) taken.

I've been "meh" on most of the episodes but I think I straight up disliked this one. Just 22 minutes of proving why Devon shouldn't have been the leader and Ravi should have. Like....Chip has seen seasons like Wild Force and Time Force, right? He knows the red ranger doesn't always have to be the leader, right?
BlueMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 08:03 AM #16
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

Again, I think the whole thing could've been easier to understand with just one line. Just have Devon say he's still upset about how things ended with his dad last week and apologize for taking it out on the team. That would've made things flow a lot better.

Without something like that, it just felt a little off.
Old April 13th, 2019, 08:07 AM #17
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

ModRn wrote: View Post

edit--
I dunno. For 5 straight episodes, he's consistently been the most down to earth member of the team. This whole "being leader going to his head" thing wouldn't have felt so out of nowhere, had it happened RIGHT after episode 2 (and even then it'd still be "...what the fuck?"). But for him to be alright for 5 episodes in a row and then suddenly he's King Jackass today? I'd say he's being pretty out of character. I'd sooner expect this little ego trip from Ravi (who, again, kinda got shafted out of a position that should have been his)
BlueMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 08:11 AM #18
> Mr. Underachiever

Mr. Underachiever

BlueMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Where the hell did Devon's "I'M THE LEADER! I'M ALWAYS RIGHT! I DIDN'T FAIL! EVERYONE ELSE FAILED!" bullshit come from!? Even if this came earlier on, it still would have been out of character for him. But at this point, he's been leader for like 5 episodes and this is suddenly a thing? That's some levels of douchebaggery that I wouldn't even expect from the SPD rangers. He does know Ravi's been training for this stuff longer than him, right?
Exactly. And not only that, Ravi (and Zoey) willingly stepped aside to let Devon become the leader, when he had no ambitions or desire to be leader and was only willing to be on the team because it was like a live-action video game. He is the least qualified of them to actually be leader, but they picked him specifically because he was the least prone to outbursts like this.

This would have went over much better if Devon was angry because of what happened with his dad, so now he feels like he has to overcompensate to prove to himself he's not a complete slacker. But last week's episode had the very clear moral of, "Hey, your dad thinks you're a screw up, but that's only because he doesn't know you're the red ranger!" So I don't know what the hell he was so mad about.
Mr. Underachiever is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 08:28 AM #19
> OmegaRedMkII
Power Ranger

OmegaRedMkII
Power Ranger

I did not like this one. Like a lot of the others have said, Devonís outbursts were out of character and poorly framed. If they had addressed him feeling a certain type of way about his dad, it would have been a little better, but even then he came off way too aggressive. Rorrie tended to over-act in his scenes too. Heís always had a couple of flubbed lines, but this week was more than usual. He doesnít really know how to do excited emotions and dialogue and should dial it back a tad. I did like that Shaw checked him, and thst the moral was Ranger related, but where was this Shaw when her son stole a Neuro-Aligner? Her mentoring has been inconsistent. Also, BM missed a huge opportunity in the GB Hanger. I know we dont look to the sentai to influence plot, but the seige plot really was handled on a larger scale than BM did. The villains planned for it, and all of personel was affected, even the outpost being destroyed if I remember correctly. This felt stakeless. You have three rangers trying to fend off a motw and a drone, and a lot of it felt like they were standing around. The fight choreography for this week was weak too.

This was the weakest episode to me. It was never unwatchable, but it was poorly framed and poorly executed. Hopefully the next two episodes will be better becaus we are in for a long break where a lot of the shows flaws are going to settle in and cloud the season. I have this episode a 2/5.
OmegaRedMkII is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 08:32 AM #20
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

That's some levels of douchebaggery that I wouldn't even expect from the SPD rangers. He does know Ravi's been training for this stuff longer than him, right?
Not sure how because Jack wasted no time abusing his power despite 3/5ths of that team was better trained than him. Devon's "I'm the leader" thing was mostly with Shaw and instantly chastised for it.

I dunno. For 5 straight episodes, he's consistently been the most down to earth member of the team. This whole "being leader going to his head" thing wouldn't have felt so out of nowhere, had it happened RIGHT after episode 2 (and even then it'd still be "...what the fuck?"). But for him to be alright for 5 episodes in a row and then suddenly he's King Jackass today?
My counterpoint is that; when you go quite a while being the leader and have had no problems just going off your instincts, I can see why Devon would have a hard time with someone questioning that.

I'd say he's being pretty out of character. I'd sooner expect this little ego trip from Ravi (who, again, kinda got shafted out of a position that should have been his)
How did he get shafted? His immediate response to being leader was to act entitled and argue in the middle of a fight. Trained experience doesn't mean you have leadership qualities.

Last edited by GokaiGold; April 13th, 2019 at 08:54 AM.
GokaiGold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
#savej, grand theft buddyroid, please save j, you took j you bastards!