Home Menu

Menu

Old May 13th, 2019, 12:27 PM #1
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Disney's Shrunk (Honey I Shrunk The Kids Reboot)

We have exclusively learned that Walt Disney Pictures is developing a reboot of Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, with Josh Gad attached to star. Here’s what we know about the reboot, which will be set in the same universe as the original movies.

I have independently confirmed with three sources that Walt Disney Pictures has signed actor Josh Gad to star in a Honey, I Shrunk The Kids reboot/sequel. In the original film, Rick Moranis played a scientist father who accidentally shrinks his teenage son and daughter (alongside some neighborhood kids) to just a quarter of an inch in size. They must then adventure through their backyard to return home while fending off insects and other massive-sized obstacles.

The plan is for the movie to be set about three decades after the 1989 original, with Gad set to play the grown-up version of scientist and inventor Wayne Szalinski’s son, Nick Szalinski. The new movie, which will be titled Shrunk, will be a reboot of the original film, but positioned as a “legecyequel,” which means it will exist in the same world and continue the overall storyline. And yes, Nick Szalinski accidentally shrinks his kids, which kickstarts the story of the film.

In February 2018, it was reported that live-action remakes of several films are in development as exclusive content for Walt Disney Studios’ upcoming streaming service, Disney+, with a Honey, I Shrunk the Kids remake named alongside the possibilities. However, we’re told that this project is aiming for a theatrical release and will not be a Disney+ original. Disney is currently on the lookout for a filmmaker who has nostalgia for the original property. Joe Johnston’s directorial debut became Disney’s highest-grossing live-action film, a record it held for five years. Its success spawned two sequels, Honey, I Blew Up the Kid and the direct-to-video Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves, and spawned a television show that ran from 1997 to 2000.

Josh Gad has a very strong relationship with the Mouse House, having voiced Olaf in the Frozen movies, co-starred as LeFou in the live action Beauty and the Beast movie, and he plays Mulch Diggums in the upcoming film Artemis Fowl. He has a bunch of projects in development at Disney, including a new Muppets TV series titled Muppets Live Another Day for Disney+, and an untitled family comedy pitch that he sold with his writing partner Ryan Dixon.

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids was a fun family adventure film, and in a world where Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is actually good, it’s not hard to imagine Shrunk taking on a similar trajectory. The visual effects for the 1989 film were the top of the line at the time, and were mostly a combination of miniatures and larger-than-life practical sets. It might be interesting to see how far they could push this concept now with the progression of CGI effects. Just look at Marvel’s Ant-Man films as an example of some of the fun tentpole action scenes that could be explored in a modern day reboot. And I like Josh Gad when he’s paired with the right material, and this seems like the exact kind of fun project in which his over-the-top comedy might excel. And of course, there are certainly many ’90s kids who now have kids of their own and might buy a ticket.
https://www.slashfilm.com/honey-i-sh...e-kids-reboot/
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:31 PM #2
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

My turn to pull the "WHO asked for this???" card.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:43 PM #3
> Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

I can already see the sequel where it’s expanded to jumanji levels of insanity. Giant bugs in Las Vegas and new york
Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:51 PM #4
> ⚡Lord Buttus
Mod of Destruction

eBay
Lord Buttus
Mod of Destruction

eBay

TeraMan wrote: View Post

https://media.giphy.com/media/XL2PqYwyU9tiU/giphy.gif

In an age where Disney is making a live action movie out of every one of its classics how is this surprising? They'll remake anything they own
Lord Buttus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:32 PM #5
> Shirubaa
Mr. Silver

32 eBay
Shirubaa
Mr. Silver

32 eBay

Lord Buttus wrote: View Post

In an age where Disney is making a live action movie out of every one of its classics how is this surprising? They'll remake anything they own
The originals were already live action though.
Shirubaa is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:54 PM #6
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Another reboot nobody asked for
RitoRevolto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 04:01 PM #7
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

If it's in continuity with the old films, then it's a sequel, not a reboot.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 04:23 PM #8
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Digifiend wrote: View Post

If it's in continuity with the old films, then it's a sequel, not a reboot.
No no, it's a "legacyequel". Cause that's a term now. When did that become a term? I missed the memo.

But seriously, yeah. If it's set in the same world, even if it's using the same premise as the original, it's still a sequel. I feel like they're trying to make it sound more...well just more than what it is.

Don't get me wrong, Josh Gad is funny and no doubt they can probably turn out something fun. So I'm sure it'll be fine, but like...you can also sit a kid down and plop in the original movie and I bet they'd enjoy it. Oh well, it's Disney and this is what they do.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 08:25 PM #9
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Lord Buttus wrote: View Post

TBH, they've been doing that for years. The Jamie Lee Curtis/Lindsay Lohan Freaky Friday was like the third one, and heard they redid that again recently for who knows why? Recall there was a Harry Anderson version of "Absent Minded Professor" in the 80s that had a sequel, and three versions of "Treasure Island" even if one was in space and one with muppets.
Dragonwolf Ranger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 08:43 PM #10
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

Ya know, if we were casting Rick Moranis's kid, I could see Josh Gad pretty easily.

And it's not like We Shrunk Ourselves didn't already ruin the franchise.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 09:12 PM #11
> PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

RitoRevolto wrote: View Post

Another reboot nobody asked for
This.
So, when can we expect reboot (or remake) of "Flight of the Navigator"?
PowerPhantom245 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 09:26 PM #12
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Not so sure about this.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 09:31 PM #13
> Activator
Power Ranger

Activator
Power Ranger

Alitain wrote: View Post

No no, it's a "legacyequel". Cause that's a term now. When did that become a term? I missed the memo.

But seriously, yeah. If it's set in the same world, even if it's using the same premise as the original, it's still a sequel. I feel like they're trying to make it sound more...well just more than what it is.

Don't get me wrong, Josh Gad is funny and no doubt they can probably turn out something fun. So I'm sure it'll be fine, but like...you can also sit a kid down and plop in the original movie and I bet they'd enjoy it. Oh well, it's Disney and this is what they do.
It's a far better term and presequel, or requel and all that other stuff. At least this one has the "sequel" sound in it lol.

I don't like Josh Gad enough for this but also, maybe if he's the dad, he won't be the main focus. get Chris Hemsworth involved somehow, Disney. He's your comedic gold.

We're never going to see any of the fun high adventure animated movies transitioned into live action T.T
Activator is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 10:03 PM #14
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

https://media.giphy.com/media/XL2PqYwyU9tiU/giphy.gif

....I did.

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

And it's not like We Shrunk Ourselves didn't already ruin the franchise.
Hey now, the tv series brought it back from ruination though.

PowerPhantom245 wrote: View Post

This.
So, when can we expect reboot (or remake) of "Flight of the Navigator"?
Well....
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 10:51 PM #15
> PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Why Disney, Why?
PowerPhantom245 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 01:34 AM #16
> chronoxiong
Digital Artist

chronoxiong
Digital Artist

[My turn to pull the "WHO asked for this???" card.
Came in here to say this but I guess you beat me to it lol. I'm losing track of how many times I have said "who asked for this" on this forum and other forums.
chronoxiong is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 05:21 AM #17
> Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay
Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay

movie quality aside, "LegaSequel" is the best/worst phony Disney word since "Imagineer."
Arkvoodle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:58 AM #18
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Ever since Josh Gad voiced a certain lovable snowman, Disney sure has him doing lots of projects for them. He did Beauty and the Beast and now he has this is the works along with a live-action Hunchback of Notre Dame. Gad might also be working on a new Muppets TV show for Disney+.
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 04:54 PM #19
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Ugh. Not that I don't like Josh Gad, but... this doesn't feel right. Couldn't they have at least tried to get Robert Oliveri to reprise the role? Or given the film a more original storyline? Like instead of shrinking kids/adults the film takes on a more action/adventure type plot. Like maybe a rescue mission to retrieve some micronauts now that shrinking technology has been improved. Adam could be one of the micronauts in danger, with Nick leading a rescue mission to get them back before its too late.
BobbyDrake2000 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 05:08 PM #20
> MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

Ugh. Not that I don't like Josh Gad, but... this doesn't feel right. Couldn't they have at least tried to get Robert Oliveri to reprise the role?
Well, he's been retired from acting since 1994. He might not even be interested at this point. Plus, since this is suppose to restart a franchise, getting a retired actor who hasn't done anything in a LONG time isn't exactly the best move. Makes more sense to go with someone more current.

The only thing I'd really be interested in seeing is a cameo from Rick Moranis.
MMPR-TheGreenRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote