Home Menu

Menu

Old March 7th, 2019, 05:48 PM #41
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

Alitain wrote: View Post

Made me think of Sky, which I guess shouldn't surprise me being another Blue, but it was really fun watching the Commander yank the laundry right out from under him. His expression was amusing.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and the Cheetah Blaster looked way bigger than I imagined in that scene. Kind of...too big really? Maybe it was just the scene or something, cause the trailer showing Devon using it didn't seem so bad, but yeah.

My other concern with the episode is how it'll likely end up being Devon as leader. Right now he clearly doesn't have any interest in the job. And it feels like the Commander is going to choose him simply because he's "a real trooper" and because he didn't likely make a fool of himself trying to prove he's "leadership" material like the other two might. Which, mind, given what little we've seen of his character could be a good thing depending on how it plays out by giving him the responsibility that makes him shape up...but I'm nervous. We'll see.
As I said about the first preview clip, I assume it'll go:

Blue: I should be leader because I'm the only one with actual experience.

Yellow: I went through the same training, I should be leader. (though now we know it's because she thinks the laundry room experience is enough, even though she went through the same training?)

*monster attacks, Blue and Yellow are at each other's throat trying to prove they should be leader*

Commander: I've chosen Devon to be leader because he's the only one who kept his emotions in check and stayed calm and collected when a monster attacked and put the safety of others ahead of who should be leader.

EDIT: As we saw in SPD, not wanting to be leader is one of the qualities that makes being a leader the right person for the job. Though, becoming a leader can also cause the power to go to that person's head. I hope they don't repeat that storyline though.

Granted, they might pull a Gekiranger on us, and make Zoey or Ravi the leader in title, even though Red still looks like the leader in the footage.

Last edited by AkaUnlovedFyntabulous; March 7th, 2019 at 06:15 PM.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 05:59 PM #42
> FlameDragon
VIP Ranger

FlameDragon
VIP Ranger

i guess that's why in the first preview clip, Ravi and Zoey both yell "Its Morphin' Time" together. maybe they were in the middle of a debate during fighting the footsoldiers.
FlameDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 07:45 PM #43
> SuperStar
Power Ranger

SuperStar
Power Ranger

Okay Zoe said before that she trained to be a cadet but didn't cut it. That doesn't mean at all that she was ever part of the Ranger project, I doubt she has the same training that Ravi has had as a ranger.
SuperStar is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 08:01 PM #44
> ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER

Decade

SuperStar wrote: View Post

Okay Zoe said before that she trained to be a cadet but didn't cut it. That doesn't mean at all that she was ever part of the Ranger project, I doubt she has the same training that Ravi has had as a ranger.
Technically, she would have if she completed the initial cadet training and was cut, then completed the Battle Sim training that she & Devin were rushed into at the end of Episode 1.
Decade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 08:04 PM #45
> SuperStar
Power Ranger

SuperStar
Power Ranger

Decade wrote: View Post

Technically, she would have if she completed the initial cadet training and was cut, then completed the Battle Sim training that she & Devin were rushed into at the end of Episode 1.
We don't know how much additional training the original rangers were put through, we don't know for sure how long they've been preparing for the project outside of initial cadet training.
Old March 7th, 2019, 08:15 PM #46
> ϟDecade

Decade

We don't know how much additional training the original rangers were put through, we don't know for sure how long they've been preparing for the project outside of initial cadet training.
But it's a possibility. I'm just throwing it out there because you doubt it. It's just the perception I had from the first episode.
Old March 7th, 2019, 08:29 PM #47
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

If she knew the Jackrabbit DNA was involved in the project, she had to be a part of the Ranger Project to some degree.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 08:39 PM #48
> SuperStar
Power Ranger

SuperStar
Power Ranger

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

If she knew the Jackrabbit DNA was involved in the project, she had to be a part of the Ranger Project to some degree.
I hadn't considered that. But there was also a giant rabbit insignia in the room.
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:08 PM #49
> Champ
Lupin Red!

Champ
Lupin Red!

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

Victor and Monty were just depessing.
There you go. You, sir, got that right.

Bulk and Skull are always classic comedic duo, always in my heart.

Cassidy and Devin both sucked. They were not funny. Just... bland. Hit and miss. Boring.

Now this... Betty and Ben, I actually like them a lot. It's fun to watch.
Champ is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:12 PM #50
> ϟDecade

Decade

Personally I find they're still forcing it. Whereas Bulk & Skull seem to play off more naturally. They just seemed to be obnoxious & clumsy individuals.

But of course, they're way more tolerable than the other comedic duos of recent seasons. So far anyway.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:12 PM #51
> maslego
Idea Ranger

maslego
Idea Ranger

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

Victor and Monty were just depessing.
I think Victor and Monty have the distinction of being the only comic relief to actually get arrested for their shenanigans.
maslego is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:13 PM #52
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Might as well give my two cents on the various comedic duos.

Bulk and Skull were fine. I didn't hate them, but I did ignore their various schticks. IDK I just never liked them all that much.

I freaking loved Marah and Kapri. They were right up my alley. Plus I loved getting two girls as the comedic duo for once. Their valley girl schtick was accurate for that era. They reminded me of London Tipton from Suite Life.

I agree with whoever said that Cassidy and Devin were better when they weren't being funny. As supporting characters with the reporting arc, they did great stuff.

Ben and Betty seem fun. They're not irritating yet.

Yup that covers everyone. Totally didn't forget anyone important. No sireee.
GrumpyBookworm is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:15 PM #53
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

You actually forgot Jindrax and Toxica. And Piggy and Garbage.
GokaiGold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:18 PM #54
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GokaiGold wrote: View Post

You actually forgot Jindrax and Toxica. And Piggy and Garbage.
Whoops lol. I loved Jindrax and Toxica. They were totally me and my best friend IRL.

Hated Piggy. Never liked him at all.

And I think now that covers anyone worth mentioning. Such a shame that Ninja Steel never included a comedic duo .
GrumpyBookworm is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:37 PM #55
> Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Piggy and Garbage.
Hey, I like Kalish.

You actually forgot Jindrax and Toxica.
And Golar and Rito.

And Elgar and Rygog.
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:45 PM #56
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

You actually forgot Jindrax and Toxica.
Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

And Golar and Rito.

And Elgar and Rygog.
I think villains deserve their own scale from which to be judged.

Squatt's "I was asleep!" as a defense still tickles me.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 12:08 AM #57
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

dark ranger 86 wrote: View Post

But then I thought to myself that's the 32 year old in me talking and my sense of humor has evolved since a child. And maybe they're 5,6,7 year olds out there who genuinely think Victor and Monty are funny.
What I think is interesting, about the idea that, "oh but kids like them", is that Bulk's actor specifically wrote (in his forward to the Artist Tribute book) that he bets the reader really hated Bulk and Skull when they were kids, but that, over the years, they grew to appreciate the two.

Two parts of that make me go, "eh?" The first part is, no, I still hate them. The second part is, okay, if the kids don't like them, and adults don't like them, then why does the show keep doing it?

Yeah, I know. I just don't like slapstick in general. My biggest grievance with the show is that, it's handled the Wacky Comedy Duo just so poorly, in the last few years. Bulk and Spike were worthless. They weren't funny or interesting, and you could edit them out of "Samurai" episodes and you wouldn't miss a thing, the episodes wouldn't change. We had characters who we needed to flesh out, so why were we wasting time with them?

Same with Victor and Monty. There were a couple of episodes where I timed it, and their antics took up 5 minutes (two or three scenes sprinkled throughout the episode). That's a quarter of the episode run-time! Extrapolating that further, that means out of a 40 episode season? 10 of those episodes consisted of nothing but Victory and Monty's time-wasting bullshit. Ten episodes! That's how much time we lost (in a series that, also, had characters who needed fleshing out). At least one episode would've been 20 minutes of nothing else but Victor and Monty farting. Just think about that for a little bit.

If we have to have a Wacky Comedy Duo, can they at least be funny and plot relevant? I'm not getting either of that from Ben and Betty, not from the first episode at least.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 12:39 AM #58
> BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

I didn't love Bulk & Skull in the first season. Even as a wee child, I thought they were corny as hell. Faces in cakes, falling down, those sorts of things weren't funny to me even back then.

I liked what they did with the characters as the series went on. In season 2, they actually had a driving purpose (beyond just hanging around being awful) when they decided to find out who the Power Rangers really were. They even found out, only to lose that information in a rare show of bravery and heroism. Then they became junior police, then PI's, though I guess they kind of reverted in Turbo and Space. The thing with Goldar and Rito as their maids in Zeo was too goofy for me, though,
BigMDtheSequel is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 03:32 AM #59
> FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger

FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger

In general I don't really like pure comic relief characters. If you have a ranger or evil general who is kind of goofy, that may act as comic relief a lot of the time but still get some serious beats.
FerrousMaelstrom is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 05:16 AM #60
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

GrumpyBookworm wrote: View Post

Might as well give my two cents on the various comedic duos.

Bulk and Skull were fine. I didn't hate them, but I did ignore their various schticks. IDK I just never liked them all that much.

I freaking loved Marah and Kapri. They were right up my alley. Plus I loved getting two girls as the comedic duo for once. Their valley girl schtick was accurate for that era. They reminded me of London Tipton from Suite Life.

I agree with whoever said that Cassidy and Devin were better when they weren't being funny. As supporting characters with the reporting arc, they did great stuff.

Ben and Betty seem fun. They're not irritating yet.

Yup that covers everyone. Totally didn't forget anyone important. No sireee.
Gem and Gemma? (That is, if Rangers can count as comic relief.)
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote