Home Menu

Menu

Old July 21st, 2018, 08:49 AM #1
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Batman: Hush (Animated Movie, 2019)

Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee’s Batman: Hush, one of the most popular Batman stories of all time, is getting the DC Universe Original Movie animated treatment.

Announced during San Diego Comic-Con, Batman: Hush will release in the summer of 2019. The film will feature a gauntlet of Batman villains, including Poison Ivy, Ra’s al Ghul, the Joker, and, of course, the bandage-faced mystery villain Hush. This will be the first time that the villain has ever appeared in a DC Universe Movie before.

The original Batman: Hush story ran in the early 2000s, with renowned artist Jim Lee jumping to DC Comics after making his name at Marvel and helping to found Image Comics and his own superhero universe imprint, WildStorm. He teamed with Jeph Loeb, who was a fan favorite Batman writer after penning Batman: The Long Halloween. Hush featured not only nearly all of Batman's villains, but almost the entire Bat Family as well, and was one of the first stories to hint at the romantic tension between Batman and Catwoman.

If you haven't read Hush and don't plan to do so before the animated movie releases, then some SPOILERS follow.

The titular Villain, Hush, first appeared in Batman #609 (though not in his full supervillain regalia until Batman #619). Hush is Tommy Elliott, one of Bruce Wayne’s few childhood friends. When Tommy’s parents nearly died in a car accident, Bruce’s father, the surgeon Thomas Wayne, performed an emergency operation that saved the life of Tommy’s mother.

However, it turned out that Tommy actually severed the brake line of his parents’ car himself, intentionally causing the accident in the hopes that his parents would die and that he would be left young and wealthy. That Thomas Wayne saved Tommy's mother foiled those plans, and Tommy never forgave the Wayne family. He learned that Bruce Wayne was Batman from the Riddler and set about manipulating Batman’s enemies and allies to finally achieve his revenge.

When this plan was foiled, Hush returned in the “Heart of Hush” storyline after surgically altering his own face to be identical to Bruce Wayne’s, allowing himself a way to torment Batman and his allies from within.
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/07/21/b...nimated-movie/
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2018, 08:51 AM #2
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

They just gave away the twist ending in that summary
PineapplePizza is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2018, 08:57 AM #3
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza wrote: View Post

They just gave away the twist ending in that summary
Is it really a twist at this point. The story has been around for a while.
Virus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2018, 10:43 AM #4
> Galaxy
Power Ranger

Galaxy
Power Ranger

I'd be more interested if I thought it wasn't going to be another new 52 movie. Most of those New 52 universe movies are terrible, including the latest Superman one, so I'm not too excited about any of the DC animated movies nowadays.
Galaxy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2018, 10:51 AM #5
> Chiron723
Power Ranger

Chiron723
Power Ranger

Galaxy wrote: View Post

I'd be more interested if I thought it wasn't going to be another new 52 movie. Most of those New 52 universe movies are terrible, including the latest Superman one, so I'm not too excited about any of the DC animated movies nowadays.
You too huh? The fact that the Judas Contract movie was based on the New 52 set up turned me off to it despite how much I was looking forward to an adaptation of that story. I still can't bring myself to read anything set in the New 52.
Chiron723 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2018, 10:58 AM #6
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

The Judas Contract was actually pretty good at least. I prefer the 2003 cartoon adaptation but the DTD was pretty good and Terra was given better charactization than “Hah she’s pure evil” as in the comics (but again not nearly as well done as what the tv series did with her)
Old July 21st, 2018, 11:07 AM #7
> Galaxy
Power Ranger

Galaxy
Power Ranger

I disliked the Judas Contract even though I actually liked Justice League vs Teen Titans. adding in Damien's drama took away from the story, and it just overall wasn't done very well. At this point, the only New 52 style movies I like are JL vs Teen Titans and Batman vs Robin, and they're decent but nothing spectacular or anything. To me, the last really good DC animated movies were Assault on Arkham and JL: Gods & Monsters.
Galaxy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2018, 11:10 AM #8
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

I wonder if that will be this year's "out of continuity" movie.
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2018, 11:12 AM #9
> Bluecatcinema
Power Ranger

Bluecatcinema
Power Ranger

So Hush will finally be appearing outside the comics. The closest they came to that before was when they planned for him to appear in The Batman (only to replace him with Rumor instead).
Bluecatcinema is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2018, 12:13 PM #10
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

I can't believe Hush could be so popular for so long without getting an adaptation to now.

But let's not go crazy article writers, both gathering villains and romantic tension were devised by Batman '66 all the way.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 09:54 AM #11
> Dragonkent17
Tranquilo!!

Dragonkent17
Tranquilo!!

The only i will not like this film is Tim being replaced by Damian, since i'm still pissed that Jason and Tim got cut out in the movies to give too much focus on Damian. Damian has been written as a Stealing Spotlight Gary Stu in the animated films.
Dragonkent17 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 10:04 AM #12
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

Dragonkent17 wrote: View Post

The only i will not like this film is Tim being replaced by Damian, since i'm still pissed that Jason and Tim got cut out in the movies to give too much focus on Damian. Damian has been written as a Stealing Spotlight Gary Stu in the animated films.
Agreed. I don't even hate the kid, but its to the point that he is the only character outside of Batman that matters. Even then, he seems to even overshadow his father at times. DC just seems to hate any Jason and Tim.

hasso_primo wrote: View Post

I can't believe Hush could be so popular for so long without getting an adaptation to now.

But let's not go crazy article writers, both gathering villains and romantic tension were devised by Batman '66 all the way.
Well not every villain can be Bane and get animated from the get go.
Virus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 10:08 AM #13
> Chiron723
Power Ranger

Chiron723
Power Ranger

hasso_primo wrote: View Post

To be fair "I tried to kill my parents because I was jealous my best friend's parents died" is kind of hard to market to a family market.
Chiron723 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 11:12 AM #14
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

^If I remember right (haven’t read Batman Hush since high school) it was more “I tried to kill my parents to inherit their money and I was mad my best friend got exactly that)
Old July 22nd, 2018, 11:44 AM #15
> Dravenheart
Power Ranger

eBay
Dravenheart
Power Ranger

eBay

I didn't care for the animated interpretation of Killing Joke, but there's a lot more to work with when it comes to Hush. This was the storyline that got me back into reading Batman comics at the time. I'm curious to see what direction they take in the movie.
Dravenheart is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 11:55 AM #16
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

Hush has enough material for for a feature length movie. Killing Joke did not so we had that atrocious first half that doesn’t connect at all with the second half
Old July 22nd, 2018, 12:20 PM #17
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

Chiron723 wrote: View Post

To be fair "I tried to kill my parents because I was jealous my best friend's parents died" is kind of hard to market to a family market.
Cletus Kasady was a serial killer and got on Fox Kids.

It may not be preferable, but producers can always shrink to fit.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 12:43 PM #18
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

^A serial killer who despite appearing in one of the most infamous BS&P controlled series still managed to have the implication he was a serial killer left intact
Old July 22nd, 2018, 04:45 PM #19
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Wait, people are bitching about Tim, but I don't think he was even in the comic Hush? That was during a period where Bruce actively pushed away his entire family and Tim wasn't in Gotham.
Miraculous Bikkun is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 08:02 PM #20
> OrionPower2001
Charmed One

OrionPower2001
Charmed One

Miraculous Bikkun wrote: View Post

Wait, people are bitching about Tim, but I don't think he was even in the comic Hush? That was during a period where Bruce actively pushed away his entire family and Tim wasn't in Gotham.
Tim appeared in "Hush" as does Nightwing and Catwoman. In fact, one of the more famous panels from that story.... (spoiler tagging, just in case)

has an "unmasked" Hush grabbing Tim in a graveyard, letting readers suspect that Hush was actually a reborn Jason Todd. (It was later revealed to be Clayface in the graveyard instead of Jason)
OrionPower2001 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote