Home Menu

Menu

Old May 15th, 2019, 06:17 AM #3621
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

Random one, just 5 seconds on Google: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...dly-cancelled/
AtoMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:27 AM #3622
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

I don't really think it's an easy choice IMO.
He made a movie that half the fanbase loved and half HATED. From a business perspective it makes sense to decrease his ability to impact the franchise further. Maybe that isn't fair to him, but I'd be extremely hesitant to put the name "Rian Johnson" front and center on the next movie's promotional tour if I was Disney.
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:31 AM #3623
> MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master

MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master

AtoMan wrote: View Post

Random one, just 5 seconds on Google: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...dly-cancelled/
I feel I should mention that the article doesn't help your case. You said it was confirmed that Rian Johnson's trilogy was confirmed as the next one before the Last Jedi premiere yet the article you linked isn't that.
MutekiDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:32 AM #3624
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

MutekiDragon wrote: View Post

Where was this ever said? It was said he was getting a trilogy but to my knowledge nothing was ever said about his being the next one.
I think the assumption before the Last Jedi's controversy and Solo's flop was that we'd be getting the RJ trilogy, the D&D trilogy, plus the rumored Boba Fett and Obi Wan movies in a relatively short time period (when I say relatively short, I mean maybe over the next 5-10 years for all of those films).

It may not have been announced that RJ's trilogy was going to be the "next one", but as of right now it looks like it will be 10+ years down the road, if it happens at all. That's why people are kind of assuming that it has been canceled.

The only alternative I can think of is the Disney is just pulling back, sticking their toe in the water with the D&D trilogy and then maybe we'll see the RJ stuff start to go into production after the first movie or two of that trilogy, if it does well.
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:33 AM #3625
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

He is. They're just doing them one-at-a-time and the GOT boys are doing theirs first.
I don't think the Rian Johnson trilogy will ever happen, it would probably start production 7 years from now, there'll be a dozen other directors catching Lucasfilm's attention in that time and Johnson will also get new projects.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:38 AM #3626
> MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master

MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master

cleanuphtr15 wrote: View Post

I think the assumption before the Last Jedi's controversy and Solo's flop was that we'd be getting the RJ trilogy, the D&D trilogy, plus the rumored Boba Fett and Obi Wan movies in a relatively short time period (when I say relatively short, I mean maybe over the next 5-10 years for all of those films).

It may not have been announced that RJ's trilogy was going to be the "next one", but as of right now it looks like it will be 10+ years down the road, if it happens at all. That's why people are kind of assuming that it has been canceled.

The only alternative I can think of is the Disney is just pulling back, sticking their toe in the water with the D&D trilogy and then maybe we'll see the RJ stuff start to go into production after the first movie or two of that trilogy, if it does well.

That's why I asked where it was said RJ's was next. I've looked up articles and the first one I found said no dates have been confirmed for RJ's trilogy.

Article confirming RJ's trilogy is still happening:
https://www.starwars.com/news/rian-j...r-wars-trilogy

Another article confirming the same:
https://www.cbr.com/rian-johnson-sta...ill-happening/

Article stating the same and talking about RJ's film Knives Out:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/ri...ed-1202044147/

Last edited by MutekiDragon; May 15th, 2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:47 AM #3627
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

I feel I should mention that the article doesn't help your case. You said it was confirmed that Rian Johnson's trilogy was confirmed as the next one before the Last Jedi premiere yet the article you linked isn't that.
I never said that, I merely stated they kept reporting it being worked on until Solo bombed.

He made a movie that half the fanbase loved and half HATED. From a business perspective it makes sense to decrease his ability to impact the franchise further. Maybe that isn't fair to him, but I'd be extremely hesitant to put the name "Rian Johnson" front and center on the next movie's promotional tour if I was Disney.
I wouldn't say the split was "half and half", because the significant part of the fandom did not outright hate it, but consider it disappointing. Also the fact that the movie was partially responsible for Solo bombing is undisputable, so there's that.

Disney wouldn't admit it, but they don't seem to refer to the "RJ trilogy" anymore, focusing on D+ TV series instead. That says something.
AtoMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:02 AM #3628
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

That's why I asked where it was said RJ's was next. I've looked up articles and the first one I found said no dates have been confirmed for RJ's trilogy.

Article confirming RJ's trilogy is still happening:
https://www.starwars.com/news/rian-j...r-wars-trilogy

Another article confirming the same:
https://www.cbr.com/rian-johnson-sta...ill-happening/

Article stating the same and talking about RJ's film Knives Out:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/ri...ed-1202044147/
Two of those articles are OLD and the most recent one is from 3 months ago. I don't think any of them really prove that it is still happening. Even the direct quote from Johnson has essentially been superseded by the fact that Disney announced the next decade of Star Wars movies and didn't mention Johnson's movies.

AtoMan wrote: View Post

I wouldn't say the split was "half and half", because the significant part of the fandom did not outright hate it, but consider it disappointing. Also the fact that the movie was partially responsible for Solo bombing is undisputable, so there's that.

Disney wouldn't admit it, but they don't seem to refer to the "RJ trilogy" anymore, focusing on D+ TV series instead. That says something.
Half and Half was a bit hyperbolic on my part. There was a significant portion of the fanbase that loved and a significant portion that hated it.

Last edited by cleanuphtr15; May 15th, 2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old May 15th, 2019, 01:22 PM #3629
> MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master

MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master

Two of those articles are OLD and the most recent one is from 3 months ago. I don't think any of them really prove that it is still happening. Even the direct quote from Johnson has essentially been superseded by the fact that Disney announced the next decade of Star Wars movies and didn't mention Johnson's movies.
The question I was asking wasn't if RJ's trilogy was still happening it was asking Atoman where he saw that RJ's trilogy was the next one when to my knowledge that was never said. All that was said was that RJ was a getting a trilogy. I was expecting him to link me an article that was posted around the time of The Last Jedi premiere as that's when he said it was confirmed. As for if he still is no I don't think he will. But that may just be my personal bias against him talking there.
Old May 15th, 2019, 02:43 PM #3630
> Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

I don't think the Rian Johnson trilogy will ever happen, it would probably start production 7 years from now, there'll be a dozen other directors catching Lucasfilm's attention in that time and Johnson will also get new projects.
Is there a reason why Disney and Lucasfilm are keeping rian Johnson attached?

He caused so much chaos with the “last Jedi”

In fact he’s even been filmed practically saying he loves when a movie causes division

There’s a billion other choices like Jon favereau or Garth Edwards
Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 02:44 PM #3631
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Gold Samurai wrote: View Post

In fact he’s even been filmed practically saying he loves when a movie causes division
...you mean from that video where he made that comment years and years ago that people are sure is a 1-to-1 reflection of how he is right now?

Uh-huh...
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 15th, 2019, 02:52 PM #3632
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Gold Samurai wrote: View Post

Even if he did say that... why is that a bad thing? He's basically saying he likes when films have a lot of different opinions about them.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 03:26 PM #3633
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Xenotome wrote: View Post

Even if he did say that... why is that a bad thing? He's basically saying he likes when films have a lot of different opinions about them.
Putting aside the very pertinent question of whether his 15-year-old quote still reflects his current mindset: Why would he want something like that, though? Wanting to create something with the goal of causing arguments is messed up.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 03:34 PM #3634
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

Bob Iger thinks there could be a third live action SW series developed for Disney+.

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/...lus_184110.asp
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 04:18 PM #3635
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

GetTheeToABrewery wrote: View Post

Wanting to create something with the goal of causing arguments is messed up.
I doubt he wants arguments.

Different opinions also means that the end message isn't preachy, which writers tend to be.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 07:40 PM #3636
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

GetTheeToABrewery wrote: View Post

Putting aside the very pertinent question of whether his 15-year-old quote still reflects his current mindset: Why would he want something like that, though? Wanting to create something with the goal of causing arguments is messed up.
If anyone went into any sort of artistic venture wanted nothing but agreement they'd work as an accountant where numbers are firm and objective. Creating media that nobody can have disagreements about is boring as shit and safe as hell. It's trying to make milquetoast. People fought about the prequels for years, but George Lucas had the mindset of "Fuck you, these are my movies and I'm going to make them however I damn well please." We're not talking about decisions that affect people's lives, they're media. Wanting countering opinions on your work is not "messed up" it's what all filmmakers should be aspiring to.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:47 PM #3637
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

And I don't think the Benioff/Weiss trilogy will ever happen either, despite the confirmation from Disney. I'd rather someone else doing the fourth trilogy than those three. Someone like either Gareth Edwards, Patty Jenkins, F. Gary Gray, Joe Johnston, Taika Waititi or Travis Knight.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 06:15 AM #3638
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

And I don't think the Benioff/Weiss trilogy will ever happen either, despite the confirmation from Disney. I'd rather someone else doing the fourth trilogy than those three. Someone like either Gareth Edwards, Patty Jenkins, F. Gary Gray, Joe Johnston, Taika Waititi or Travis Knight.
Do you have any reasoning behind your belief that the D&D trilogy isn't going to happen? Or just your own wishful thinking?

The question I was asking wasn't if RJ's trilogy was still happening it was asking Atoman where he saw that RJ's trilogy was the next one when to my knowledge that was never said. All that was said was that RJ was a getting a trilogy. I was expecting him to link me an article that was posted around the time of The Last Jedi premiere as that's when he said it was confirmed. As for if he still is no I don't think he will. But that may just be my personal bias against him talking there.
Kind of seems like you and Atoman are just arguing about two different things.

Power PC said he thought the RJ trilogy was coming next

You focused on the word next but just asked where he got that from.

Atoman focused on the rest of the question about the trilogy and de-emphasized the word next

And away we go.
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:42 AM #3639
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

I won't be surprised if Disney decides to put off the production for any trilogy (RJ, DD, or otherwise) for a bit so they can just sort of sit down and take a look at the climate before making any big steps. They're seeing right now that the GOT showrunners aren't infallible in the same way Josh Trank and Colin Trevorrow got booted by LucasFilm after they had their own respective critical flops.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 04:01 PM #3640
> a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng4u1k

Look I love the OT and everything but THIS is now my headcannon.
a squad is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
porgs