Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:17 AM #3621
AtoMan's Avatar
> AtoMan
Now read my post again
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,493
AtoMan
Now read my post again
AtoMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,493



Random one, just 5 seconds on Google: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...dly-cancelled/
AtoMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:27 AM #3622
cleanuphtr15's Avatar
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,123
cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger
cleanuphtr15's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,123



AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

I don't really think it's an easy choice IMO.
He made a movie that half the fanbase loved and half HATED. From a business perspective it makes sense to decrease his ability to impact the franchise further. Maybe that isn't fair to him, but I'd be extremely hesitant to put the name "Rian Johnson" front and center on the next movie's promotional tour if I was Disney.
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:31 AM #3623
MutekiDragon's Avatar
> MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 505
MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
MutekiDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 505



AtoMan wrote: View Post

Random one, just 5 seconds on Google: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...dly-cancelled/
I feel I should mention that the article doesn't help your case. You said it was confirmed that Rian Johnson's trilogy was confirmed as the next one before the Last Jedi premiere yet the article you linked isn't that.
MutekiDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:32 AM #3624
cleanuphtr15's Avatar
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,123
cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger
cleanuphtr15's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,123



MutekiDragon wrote: View Post

Where was this ever said? It was said he was getting a trilogy but to my knowledge nothing was ever said about his being the next one.
I think the assumption before the Last Jedi's controversy and Solo's flop was that we'd be getting the RJ trilogy, the D&D trilogy, plus the rumored Boba Fett and Obi Wan movies in a relatively short time period (when I say relatively short, I mean maybe over the next 5-10 years for all of those films).

It may not have been announced that RJ's trilogy was going to be the "next one", but as of right now it looks like it will be 10+ years down the road, if it happens at all. That's why people are kind of assuming that it has been canceled.

The only alternative I can think of is the Disney is just pulling back, sticking their toe in the water with the D&D trilogy and then maybe we'll see the RJ stuff start to go into production after the first movie or two of that trilogy, if it does well.
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:33 AM #3625
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,530
Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,530



Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

He is. They're just doing them one-at-a-time and the GOT boys are doing theirs first.
I don't think the Rian Johnson trilogy will ever happen, it would probably start production 7 years from now, there'll be a dozen other directors catching Lucasfilm's attention in that time and Johnson will also get new projects.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:38 AM #3626
MutekiDragon's Avatar
> MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 505
MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
MutekiDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 505




cleanuphtr15 wrote: View Post

I think the assumption before the Last Jedi's controversy and Solo's flop was that we'd be getting the RJ trilogy, the D&D trilogy, plus the rumored Boba Fett and Obi Wan movies in a relatively short time period (when I say relatively short, I mean maybe over the next 5-10 years for all of those films).

It may not have been announced that RJ's trilogy was going to be the "next one", but as of right now it looks like it will be 10+ years down the road, if it happens at all. That's why people are kind of assuming that it has been canceled.

The only alternative I can think of is the Disney is just pulling back, sticking their toe in the water with the D&D trilogy and then maybe we'll see the RJ stuff start to go into production after the first movie or two of that trilogy, if it does well.


That's why I asked where it was said RJ's was next. I've looked up articles and the first one I found said no dates have been confirmed for RJ's trilogy.


Article confirming RJ's trilogy is still happening:
https://www.starwars.com/news/rian-j...r-wars-trilogy

Another article confirming the same:
https://www.cbr.com/rian-johnson-sta...ill-happening/

Article stating the same and talking about RJ's film Knives Out:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/ri...ed-1202044147/

Last edited by MutekiDragon; May 15th, 2019 at 06:48 AM.
MutekiDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 06:47 AM #3627
AtoMan's Avatar
> AtoMan
Now read my post again
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,493
AtoMan
Now read my post again
AtoMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,493



MutekiDragon wrote: View Post

I feel I should mention that the article doesn't help your case. You said it was confirmed that Rian Johnson's trilogy was confirmed as the next one before the Last Jedi premiere yet the article you linked isn't that.
I never said that, I merely stated they kept reporting it being worked on until Solo bombed.

cleanuphtr15 wrote: View Post

He made a movie that half the fanbase loved and half HATED. From a business perspective it makes sense to decrease his ability to impact the franchise further. Maybe that isn't fair to him, but I'd be extremely hesitant to put the name "Rian Johnson" front and center on the next movie's promotional tour if I was Disney.
I wouldn't say the split was "half and half", because the significant part of the fandom did not outright hate it, but consider it disappointing. Also the fact that the movie was partially responsible for Solo bombing is undisputable, so there's that.

Disney wouldn't admit it, but they don't seem to refer to the "RJ trilogy" anymore, focusing on D+ TV series instead. That says something.
AtoMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:02 AM #3628
cleanuphtr15's Avatar
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,123
cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger
cleanuphtr15's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,123



MutekiDragon wrote: View Post





That's why I asked where it was said RJ's was next. I've looked up articles and the first one I found said no dates have been confirmed for RJ's trilogy.


Article confirming RJ's trilogy is still happening:
https://www.starwars.com/news/rian-j...r-wars-trilogy

Another article confirming the same:
https://www.cbr.com/rian-johnson-sta...ill-happening/

Article stating the same and talking about RJ's film Knives Out:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/ri...ed-1202044147/
Two of those articles are OLD and the most recent one is from 3 months ago. I don't think any of them really prove that it is still happening. Even the direct quote from Johnson has essentially been superseded by the fact that Disney announced the next decade of Star Wars movies and didn't mention Johnson's movies.

AtoMan wrote: View Post

I wouldn't say the split was "half and half", because the significant part of the fandom did not outright hate it, but consider it disappointing. Also the fact that the movie was partially responsible for Solo bombing is undisputable, so there's that.

Disney wouldn't admit it, but they don't seem to refer to the "RJ trilogy" anymore, focusing on D+ TV series instead. That says something.
Half and Half was a bit hyperbolic on my part. There was a significant portion of the fanbase that loved and a significant portion that hated it.

Last edited by cleanuphtr15; May 15th, 2019 at 10:02 AM.
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 01:22 PM #3629
MutekiDragon's Avatar
> MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 505
MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
MutekiDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 505



cleanuphtr15 wrote: View Post

Two of those articles are OLD and the most recent one is from 3 months ago. I don't think any of them really prove that it is still happening. Even the direct quote from Johnson has essentially been superseded by the fact that Disney announced the next decade of Star Wars movies and didn't mention Johnson's movies.
The question I was asking wasn't if RJ's trilogy was still happening it was asking Atoman where he saw that RJ's trilogy was the next one when to my knowledge that was never said. All that was said was that RJ was a getting a trilogy. I was expecting him to link me an article that was posted around the time of The Last Jedi premiere as that's when he said it was confirmed. As for if he still is no I don't think he will. But that may just be my personal bias against him talking there.
MutekiDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 02:43 PM #3630
Gold Samurai's Avatar
> Gold Samurai
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 29,131
Gold Samurai
Power Ranger
Gold Samurai's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 29,131



Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

I don't think the Rian Johnson trilogy will ever happen, it would probably start production 7 years from now, there'll be a dozen other directors catching Lucasfilm's attention in that time and Johnson will also get new projects.
Is there a reason why Disney and Lucasfilm are keeping rian Johnson attached?

He caused so much chaos with the “last Jedi”

In fact he’s even been filmed practically saying he loves when a movie causes division

There’s a billion other choices like Jon favereau or Garth Edwards
Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 02:44 PM #3631
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 14,644
TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 14,644



Gold Samurai wrote: View Post

In fact he’s even been filmed practically saying he loves when a movie causes division
...you mean from that video where he made that comment years and years ago that people are sure is a 1-to-1 reflection of how he is right now?

Uh-huh...
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 15th, 2019, 02:52 PM #3632
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,968
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,968



Gold Samurai wrote: View Post

In fact he’s even been filmed practically saying he loves when a movie causes division
Even if he did say that... why is that a bad thing? He's basically saying he likes when films have a lot of different opinions about them.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 03:26 PM #3633
GetTheeToABrewery's Avatar
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,311
GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here
GetTheeToABrewery's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,311



Xenotome wrote: View Post

Even if he did say that... why is that a bad thing? He's basically saying he likes when films have a lot of different opinions about them.
Putting aside the very pertinent question of whether his 15-year-old quote still reflects his current mindset: Why would he want something like that, though? Wanting to create something with the goal of causing arguments is messed up.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 03:34 PM #3634
GoldAnyRanger's Avatar
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,837
eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms
GoldAnyRanger's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,837
eBay



Bob Iger thinks there could be a third live action SW series developed for Disney+.

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/...lus_184110.asp
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 04:18 PM #3635
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 80,360
AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 80,360



GetTheeToABrewery wrote: View Post

Wanting to create something with the goal of causing arguments is messed up.
I doubt he wants arguments.

Different opinions also means that the end message isn't preachy, which writers tend to be.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 07:40 PM #3636
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,968
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,968



GetTheeToABrewery wrote: View Post

Putting aside the very pertinent question of whether his 15-year-old quote still reflects his current mindset: Why would he want something like that, though? Wanting to create something with the goal of causing arguments is messed up.
If anyone went into any sort of artistic venture wanted nothing but agreement they'd work as an accountant where numbers are firm and objective. Creating media that nobody can have disagreements about is boring as shit and safe as hell. It's trying to make milquetoast. People fought about the prequels for years, but George Lucas had the mindset of "Fuck you, these are my movies and I'm going to make them however I damn well please." We're not talking about decisions that affect people's lives, they're media. Wanting countering opinions on your work is not "messed up" it's what all filmmakers should be aspiring to.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:47 PM #3637
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,600
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,600



Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

I don't think the Rian Johnson trilogy will ever happen, it would probably start production 7 years from now, there'll be a dozen other directors catching Lucasfilm's attention in that time and Johnson will also get new projects.
And I don't think the Benioff/Weiss trilogy will ever happen either, despite the confirmation from Disney. I'd rather someone else doing the fourth trilogy than those three. Someone like either Gareth Edwards, Patty Jenkins, F. Gary Gray, Joe Johnston, Taika Waititi or Travis Knight.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 06:15 AM #3638
cleanuphtr15's Avatar
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,123
cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger
cleanuphtr15's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,123



AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

And I don't think the Benioff/Weiss trilogy will ever happen either, despite the confirmation from Disney. I'd rather someone else doing the fourth trilogy than those three. Someone like either Gareth Edwards, Patty Jenkins, F. Gary Gray, Joe Johnston, Taika Waititi or Travis Knight.
Do you have any reasoning behind your belief that the D&D trilogy isn't going to happen? Or just your own wishful thinking?

MutekiDragon wrote: View Post

The question I was asking wasn't if RJ's trilogy was still happening it was asking Atoman where he saw that RJ's trilogy was the next one when to my knowledge that was never said. All that was said was that RJ was a getting a trilogy. I was expecting him to link me an article that was posted around the time of The Last Jedi premiere as that's when he said it was confirmed. As for if he still is no I don't think he will. But that may just be my personal bias against him talking there.
Kind of seems like you and Atoman are just arguing about two different things.

Power PC said he thought the RJ trilogy was coming next

You focused on the word next but just asked where he got that from.

Atoman focused on the rest of the question about the trilogy and de-emphasized the word next

And away we go.
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:42 AM #3639
Cuchulainn's Avatar
> Cuchulainn
century color
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1,262
Cuchulainn
century color
Cuchulainn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1,262



I won't be surprised if Disney decides to put off the production for any trilogy (RJ, DD, or otherwise) for a bit so they can just sort of sit down and take a look at the climate before making any big steps. They're seeing right now that the GOT showrunners aren't infallible in the same way Josh Trank and Colin Trevorrow got booted by LucasFilm after they had their own respective critical flops.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 04:01 PM #3640
a squad's Avatar
> a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,019
a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up
a squad's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,019



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng4u1k

Look I love the OT and everything but THIS is now my headcannon.
a squad is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Tags
porgs

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.