Home Menu

Menu

Old January 27th, 2017, 06:47 PM #81
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

HowlingSnail wrote: View Post

First Doctor in 21 years, and the first NuWho Doctor to go. TV Movie aired with a dedication to Jon Pertwee, think we'll get one for Hurt when Series 10 starts?
I would expect so. He may have only been in one full episode, but he was the Doctor.
TealMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 06:49 PM #82
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

He's done plenty of Big Finish too. I've only listened to one of his ones, but he was very good in it.
HowlingSnail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 06:53 PM #83
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

Mhm, I did almost go on to say that his continued involvement in the wider franchise adds to that possibility. He certainly came across as honoured to be part of the Doctor Who universe in interviews.
Old January 27th, 2017, 07:15 PM #84
> Nasaniaru
PR BACK IN ACTION!!!

Nasaniaru
PR BACK IN ACTION!!!

I just posted this on FaceBook, and I'm going to post it here as tribute to John Hurt as well:

We have lost companions before. In my 8 years of being a Whovian, I've seen the passing of Nicholas Courtney in 2011 who played Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, Elisabeth Sladen who played The Doctor's best friend, Sarah Jane Smith, and in 2012, I bore witness to the passing of Caroline John who played a human whose intelligence was nearer to The Doctor than any other human, Elizabeth "Liz" Shaw, and Mary Tamm who was a smarter still Time Lord Romandvoratrelundar or "Romana" for short.

It is with a heavy and sad heart that I announce that for the first time in my life as a Whovian, we have lost a Doctor. Today, we lost the great Sir John Hurt. Probably most recognized as the man whose chest was burst open by the chestburster in Alien, Mr. Olivander, the man who gave Harry Potter his wand, and the Elephant Man, and the corrupt tyrant Adam Sutton in V for Vendetta, John Hurt also played an incarnation of The Doctor.

He played an incarnation of The Doctor who refused the title of The Doctor. He went against the promise that the title and name "The Doctor" stood for which was to never be cruel or cowardly, to never give up, and to never give in. John Hurt's incarnation of The Doctor gave up his normally pacifist ideals and joined a war that threatened to destroy every single point in time, every single location in space, and every single corner of reality.

To an OVERWHELMING majority of Whovians, John Hurt's incarnation of The Doctor doesn't count because he didn't call himself "The Doctor" back then. But I count him as The Doctor. How could I not when two future incarnations of The Doctor forgave him for what he did? One incarnation mentioned that John Hurt's incarnation of The Doctor "was The Doctor more than anyone else." Another incarnation agreed and added further that his incarnation of The Doctor "was The Doctor on the day that it was impossible to get it right."

John Hurt is one of only two people whose work I heard of before they stepped into the role of The Doctor. By name I knew of his chest-bursting scene and later I would come to know that he played roles in both Harry Potter, and V for Vendetta which I watched before I ever got into Doctor Who. So John Hurt is an anomaly for me just like his incarnation of The Doctor was an anomaly for the character himself. But I will NEVER forget him.

The one episode in which John Hurt appeared as The Doctor was a VERY special and important episode for me. It was the episode that aired on the 50th Anniversary to the date AND time after the very first episode aired back on November 23rd, 1963. Even though the episode, titled "The Day of The Doctor" aired on November 23rd, 2013, I knew that they were going to make that episode even as far back as February of 2010.

I wanted to see that episode, because I operated under the following facts. The greatest moment of my life up until February 2010 was directly caused by two specific episodes of Doctor Who. And I had a feeling that as happy as those two episodes made me, I felt that the 50th Anniversary would make me even happier still. So I made it my mission to see that episode.

My desire to see that episode helped me get through the DARKEST period of my life. I could have committed suicide half a dozen times between when I started getting depressed and when The Day of The Doctor aired. But I didn't because I wanted DESPERATELY to see that episode. I will always remember that The Doctor saved my life. And since it is John Hurt's incarnation of The Doctor that The Day of The Doctor largely centered around, you could say that it was John Hurt's incarnation of The Doctor that was responsible for saving me.

John Hurt played The Ninth Incarnation of The Doctor. To a VAST majority of the people that is colloquially known as "The War Doctor," but after the events that transpired in The Day of The Doctor, the fact that it may have been HIS Doctor that was responsible for saving my life, and now the fact that he was my first Doctor Death, I will ALWAYS remember him truly to be "The Ninth Doctor."

Sleep Well Doctor, Sleep Well Soldier, Sleep Well Sir, and Sleep Well, John Hurt.
Nasaniaru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 08:12 PM #85
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Gaaaaah, noooooooooo....

While I of course was aware of John Hurt in some capacity, it was only when I became a Whovian in 2013 when he got my attention as this mysterious middle-Doctor that has commited some major sin. Day of the Doctor really gave me a good impression of Hurt and his War Doctor character, and he soon rocketed to being one of my top 5 incarnations of the character.

Hurt may have only been involved with who for a relatively short period of 3-4 years, but in that time he made his impact in Big Finish, and his character becoming just as beloved as any other. I was utterly delighted to find and buy his Sonic Screwdriver. RIP Mr. Hurt, you shall be missed by everybody in the Who fandom, and much like 1, 2, and 3, I hope that his incarnation will continue to live on in our hearts and minds. Doctor no more...
Xalfrea is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 08:35 PM #86
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Since the War Doctor is currently appearing in the Tales from the TARDIS comic (in reprints from Titan's Eleventh Doctor Year Two series), I wonder if the next issue, which isn't out until the end of March so definitely hasn't already gone to press, will have a dedication? I certainly expect the first episode of series 10 to do that, like the TV movie did when Pertwee died in 1996.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 01:09 PM #87
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Michelle Gomez informed fans she'll be unable to attend the ReGen con in Baltimore...because she's filming another episode as Missy

https://twitter.com/MichelleGomez/st...25172949786625
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 07:01 PM #88
> Nasaniaru
PR BACK IN ACTION!!!

Nasaniaru
PR BACK IN ACTION!!!

So I thought that I would go and round up as many reactions of John Hurt's passing from Doctor Who cast and crew members. Here's what I could find and if I've left anyone out, my supreme apologies.

Nicola Bryant (Perpugilliam "Peri" Brown):
https://twitter.com/thenicolabryant/...67459422523392

Paul McGann (The Doctor):
https://twitter.com/pauljmcgann/stat...97321214742528

Toby Hadoke (Frequent Moderator of Doctor Who Commentaries):
https://twitter.com/TobyHadoke/statu...65642932187138

Katy Manning (Josephine (Jo) Grant):
https://twitter.com/ManningOfficial/...80899579248640

David Tennant (The Doctor):
https://twitter.com/David_Tennant/st...30621727399937
Nasaniaru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:22 AM #89
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Tune in to BBC Radio Two tonight at 8:00 PM for an interview with Peter Capaldi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bqzvd
Old January 30th, 2017, 07:36 AM #90
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

Can you listen to it online anywhere as it's broadcast?

Katherine Kelly was on This Morning at midday, and was mainly there to promote Class (final two episodes get their BBC One showing tonight). She said Quill is probably her favourite role yet, spoke highly of Patrick Ness' writing, and mentioned that she was indeed pregnant during filming - the pregnancy plot was actually written to accommodate that.

Also, Moffat and Harness have co-written episodes 6 and 7 of Series 10. Looks like a two-parter?
Old January 30th, 2017, 08:22 AM #91
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

You can stream BBC radio on the iPlayer, can't you? Same way you stream telly?
Old January 30th, 2017, 09:31 AM #92
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

I was thinking that was a possibility, but I really don't know. I tend to either watch live or record, and use iPlayer as on-demand rather than live-streaming. I'll make sure to check later, though.
Old January 30th, 2017, 12:37 PM #93
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

The Chibnall era draws nearer as the final series of Broadchurch gets it's trailer

Old January 30th, 2017, 01:13 PM #94
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

Oooh, looks promising. Not entirely sure how I feel about a totally new plot after Series 2 was half-Latimer-trial, but hopefully this goes out well.

Capaldi's apparently not appearing until 9pm in the BBC Radio Two thing, but this is the link you'll want for live-listening if you can't use other means.
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:42 PM #95
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Series 10 premieres April 15th

And Capaldi's leaving
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:43 PM #96
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

Capaldi's last series. D:

(But but D: )

"I love it, but I don't know how long I can give it my best... and if I can't give it my best, I don't wanna do it."
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:50 PM #97
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

My dream of Capaldi being the first Doctor since Tom Baker to have multiple showrunners is over then.
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:50 PM #98
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Christmas 2017 is the regeneration story
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:51 PM #99
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

Does sound as though he's made this decision independently, though, rather than "the show should start afresh". At least, assuming he's being entirely sincere and it's not PR fluff.

He's confirmed that, of course, his final episode will be Christmas 2017. Ninja'd. XD
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:54 PM #100
> Claymore
Angemon!

Claymore
Angemon!

So we can probably assume that Bill won't be hanging around and we're going to get a complete fresh start? New showrunner. New Doctor. New companion.
Claymore is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote