Home Menu

Menu

Old June 24th, 2016, 03:53 AM #21
> Random
The Lizard Queen

Random
The Lizard Queen

hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

Being from gun slinging America, is it the type of people who voted out the rural, slightly probably less educated people who don't want "rules" and "government" watching them? Here in the USA, I can imagine one party losing their shit if Mexico and Canada we apart of a NAU?
Absolutely, unfortunately. Areas like London largely voted to remain and statistics show that 3 out of 4 students voted to remain. The fact Scotland and Ireland were pretty overwhelmingly remain is going to cause a lot of issues.

There are some reasonable reasons to have wanted to leave, but much like with Scottish referendum, much of the leave campaign was centred around "freedom!", national pride and "dey took err jurbs!" with little actual education about what leaving would mean for the country in the long term.

Very surprised Cameron is actually resigning, I expected some pretty fast back peddling from him.
Random is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:00 AM #22
> AshiusX
Inoue-ist

AshiusX
Inoue-ist

God Save the Queen.
AshiusX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:02 AM #23
> Shirubaa
Mr. Silver

32 eBay
Shirubaa
Mr. Silver

32 eBay

Random wrote: View Post

Absolutely, unfortunately. Areas like London largely voted to remain and statistics show that 3 out of 4 students voted to remain. The fact Scotland and Ireland were pretty overwhelmingly remain is going to cause a lot of issues.

There are some reasonable reasons to have wanted to leave, but much like with Scottish referendum, much of the leave campaign was centred around "freedom!", national pride and "dey took err jurbs!" with little actual education about what leaving would mean for the country in the long term.

Very surprised Cameron is actually resigning, I expected some pretty fast back peddling from him.
So what would leaving mean in the long term?

I'm hearing lots and lots of threats and promises by people about what happens when we don't give more and more authoritarian control to every country in every situation and how it'll be the end of the world but through all the parody nobody can give an example.

"B-but the pound is down!!"

Duh. The European elites are pissed they don't have control over one of the more successful countries in the EU, the ones who control the currency. Imagine how Wall Street in the US would react if the US had a similar, decentralization event happen. One that would weaken their sweetheart deals with the federal government. Would we feel bad for Wall Street?
Shirubaa is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:03 AM #24
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

MerCurrySoul wrote: View Post

So, uh, how screwed are we?

Recession screwed or Mad Max screwed?
As somebody who's not even from the same planetary hemisphere as you, I'm glad this thread is happening, because I'm most interested in hearing opinions from people actually living in the UK, you know?

In the Australian media today, it seemed like a lot of scare-mongering and, "The sky is falling!" responses.

So, what you guys are saying is, yes, it is that bad?
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:06 AM #25
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed a second Scottish referendum is on the table

I'm not too surprised. He'd been indicating he'd only serve two terms anyway (even using a weird "Shredded Wheat" analogy to describe this strategy last year), he's just had to call time on this term early.

Oh Nigel
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:10 AM #26
> ⚡Toast
J U S T I C E

Toast
J U S T I C E

This is why it's such a shitshow at the moment. The immigration issue became the centre of Leave's campaign, which caused every hardcore Remain voter to deem any Leavers as racist xenophobes. Everyone I know who voted Leave (which is a lot of people) isn't a racist, nor a xenophobe, but do believe tighter rules on immigration would be best.

Both campaigns were absolutely terrible, so much so that I was planning on spoiling my ballot, and adding "I'm unable to make an informed vote. You have failed" to it, as I couldn't make a decision that I felt truly justified in.

I was undecided until 3pm yesterday. I was watching and reading up on the situation right up until I finally felt confident in one of the options, and it's only because of my job that I voted the way I did.
Toast is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:14 AM #27
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

A motion of no confidence in Labour's Jeremy Corybn has been pushed forward.
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:14 AM #28
> turbo409uk

turbo409uk

Very surprised Cameron is actually resigning
Maybe he's learned something from Iain Duncan Smith
turbo409uk is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:16 AM #29
> ⚡ShadowRanger

ShadowRanger

The most important thing in my mind at this point is that for only the third time in history the UK took part in a truly democratic vote with 1 person 1 vote one value where all those votes were of equal value and that for better or worse the losers have accepted the will of the people. That is democracy at work and something to be proud of.
Something not to be proud of is that the drop in the money markets and stock markets this morning was made worse by speculators buying up sterling last night believing Remain would win with the intention of selling it on at a higher price once the vote was confirmed only to be forced into panic selling when the result went the other way... greed and panic: the underlying cause of many financial crisis.
As for the outcome of the vote itself. There will be a lot of work ahead. Luckily what was said during the campaign and what happened in reality were two different things. Article 50 has not been implemented and will be delayed by at least three months to give the Tories time to find a new leader and negotiations to start. I would point out the idea that a new leader of this country is about to be decided by a choice of 150,000 people from a choice of 2 nominees put forward by 326 people is not such a good thing.
ShadowRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:20 AM #30
> Raiden
Banned

Raiden
Banned

Toast wrote: View Post

This is why it's such a shitshow at the moment. The immigration issue became the centre of Leave's campaign, which caused every hardcore Remain voter to deem any Leavers as racist xenophobes. Everyone I know who voted Leave (which is a lot of people) isn't a racist, nor a xenophobe, but do believe tighter rules on immigration would be best.
This. I spent years working with Polish, Lithuanian and Czech people and even becoming friends, going out for meals to the bar and even helping one couple learn English. I had to train people who didnt speak my language how to operate large industrial machinery ( which is hard enough trying to educate people who speak english ) and while i was doing this i was fully aware what was going on because people in lower positions than me were being replaced. Its got nothing to do with them vs us. I live in a small town, 1 row of shops but a bunch of factories. And all the factories like to Employ outsiders. So of course it effects me heavily.

There does come a time when you need to look after your own people though. Just because i value myself, and my own people having jobs and income over other people it doesnt mean i am trying to stick it to them. Id venture to guess most the people casting aspersions havent even met a polish, czech or lithuanian. And it clearly doesnt effect them either way because if they were given the opportunity to donate their job to somebody else they wouldnt care what the other persons living situation was they would tell them to go get their own job.
Raiden is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:23 AM #31
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Toast wrote: View Post

This is why it's such a shitshow at the moment. The immigration issue became the centre of Leave's campaign, which caused every hardcore Remain voter to deem any Leavers as racist xenophobes.
But that's every hot-button political issue in the world, these days. Political ideologies have all devolved into "me versus you", and that does a disservice to everybody.
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:28 AM #32
> ⚡ShadowRanger

ShadowRanger

Not sure why you're surprised. Cameron announced at the last election he would be resigning during this term. I suspect either way he would have left this morning either giving way to those that will handle leaving or to make way for someone like May to take his place and reunite the party around a new leader.

Cameron has kept to his word on things to a point. He promised a renegotiation and did the best he could there. He promised a referendum and delivered. The areas he's back-pedalled on are the immediate invoking of Article 50 which would trigger leaving and having no plans in place for what happens next. The latter though is down to the fact the civil service always has plans drawn up of the likely outcomes of a vote and would have briefed the PM last night.
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:32 AM #33
> AshiusX
Inoue-ist

AshiusX
Inoue-ist

Peter wrote: View Post

But that's every hot-button political issue in the world, these days. Political ideologies have all devolved into "me versus you", and that does a disservice to everybody.
I really doubt there was a period in time where politics wasn't like that. Even the Ancient Greeks always made disparaging remarks about the status of politics in their society.

AshiusX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:33 AM #34
> ⚡ShadowRanger

ShadowRanger

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

A motion of no confidence in Labour's Jeremy Corybn has been pushed forward.
Just to point out the mention of a no confidence vote was brought up at 10.15pm last night when Remain was believed to have won. They wanted a vote of no confidence because they deemed his performance had been lacking despite the win.
This morning the results had flipped so now they're calling a vote of no confidence because they lost. Thing is they have a leader who was elected by the party but not wanted by the MPs, so they will use any excuse to have a no confidence vote.
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:51 AM #35
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

I was doing the count in Chesterfield last night and I could tell very early on there were more Leaves than Remains. Aside from the official Leave reps about 2 people applauded the result when it was declared.

I wonder who Farrage will blame for the country's problems when leaving the EU doesn't magically solve them.
HowlingSnail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 05:27 AM #36
> RiffRanger
Justice For No One

RiffRanger
Justice For No One

Kai wrote: View Post

We're fucked, unless this Exit is the smoothes, most gentle thing ever - which will genuinely involve us changing *nothing* apart from some EU trade laws.

Let's look at it from a healthcare point of view - the NHS is about to collapse as it is. This is the final straw. You voted for this, you've broken your NHS. Look forward to insurance, co-pays and waiting just as long for me to see you, except this time you've gotta pay me £30 premium.

Or perhaps a culture point of view? Although I suspect noone is really interested in this.

Economics? We've wiped 10bn off our economy overnight. Our currency is at its lowest point for 30 years. Banks have already declared that they're not interested in working with us if we leave. There's no point hoping companies will be hiring you now if there's noone with enough free income around to buy the company's products.
I understand that it feels like an unworkable situation, but this is really the wrong way to go about it.
We're going to enter a recession - mild at best, crippling at worst - and the people who are going to come out of it worst are, ironically, the people who voted leave because they're looking for a better future.

So yeah. We're fucked.

And that's why i'm moving to America...

I'd wait until we have our election in November. You don't want to be here if Trump wins and he starts banning everyone he thinks talks funny.

A lot of this is (literally) foreign to me, but it's scary to me that right wing voters can essentially dissolve the United Kingdom overnight. With one vote, they've put the government in shambles and tanked the markets and inspired Scotland and Northern Ireland to discuss independence. It's particularly frightening to me because it's the same crowd over here giving rise to Trump, our very own Führer in the making.
RiffRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 05:47 AM #37
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Speaking of Trump, Lee Nelson was able to get past security and ambush him at his golf course in Scotland today with Swastika golfballs

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a7...s-get-him-out/
Old June 24th, 2016, 06:25 AM #38
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Red Rock wrote: View Post

What will happen with Eurovision Song Contest? Will we still be able to participate? I hope so! Mind you, Australia recently started participating, they're not in Europe! So, anything's possible.
I'll be so upset if we no longer be allowed to participate. I love Eurovision Song Contest more than anything. Even bacon! "Douze points pour Royaume-Uni"
Will we still be a United Kingdom after all this?
To enter Eurovision, you have to be a member of the European BROADCASTING Union, the EBU. As the name indicates, it's the broadcaster who's a member, not the country itself. The BBC is a member. It's completely unrelated to the EU - predates it in fact - so the UK will still be able to enter the Eurovision Song Contest.
Digifiend is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 07:07 AM #39
> Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay
Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay

the economic impact of this will be catastrophic.

It's barely 10AM & the stock market's plummeted 500 points...
Arkvoodle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 07:16 AM #40
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

London want to be recognised as independent now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36620401

I can't believe the BBC are stooping so low as reporting on a petition like this. Salty or what?

Tags
brexit, insanity wins, nero fiddled as rome fell