Home Menu

Menu

View Poll Results: If I were to bring back a weekend watch (as a marathon method), what would you want?
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers" 10 20.83%
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers"
10 20.83%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3" 5 10.42%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3"
5 10.42%
Kamen Rider Fourze 13 27.08%
Kamen Rider Fourze
13 27.08%
Avatar: The Last Airbender 12 25.00%
12 25.00%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97) 7 14.58%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97)
7 14.58%
Other (Say what in the thread) 1 2.08%
Other (Say what in the thread)
1 2.08%
Votes: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 30th, 2015, 05:59 PM #81
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Honestly I really didn't think the one for Ryuki worked outside introducing the only funny character in Ryuki...but that's my op-ed.

-----

Blade 30: Well if his attempts in the food industry fall flat, there is always Ryo becoming the next GanGan G.

For the most part this is just the conclusion of that crazy taiyaki/takoyaki war that has somehow changed our series into a weird cooking competition while allowing Aikawa to play someone way more emotional than...well, Aikawa. Compared to a few other "interactions" he had earlier in the series, Aikawa really didn't gain anything from Miki and Ryo, mostly due to his amnesia. But pretty much we have reinforced the whole sordid truth: somehow if he wins the Battle Royale, Aikawa, as the Joker, will destroy the world...which is something none of the other Undead, lead alone humanity, don't really want. Ryo meanwhile realizes that he really stepped in over his head switching places with an Undead, particularly with others trying to eliminate him due to being "the 53rd Card" and thus the bane of the existence of all beings with the threat he poses for entering the tournament. Probably the only thing of note to mention aside from all the food is that Tachibana finally gets his own Absorb Rouzer...and somehow with his Jack form based on a peacock instead of an eagle, it isn't bad in a "low-rent TaJaDor" sort of way. But hey, all's well that ends well...outside the possiblilty of Aikawa being the herald for the end of the world...but that's for next time.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 06:18 PM #82
> cypsiman2
Power Ranger

cypsiman2
Power Ranger

The Jack forms to me are a lot like the Amazing upgrades to Kuugas various forms in terms of how they're basically the same as the base form, but with a bit more gold and details.

Also, starting with the next episode, Blade changes its head writer, so if you notice a hiccup, that may be why.
cypsiman2 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 05:19 AM #83
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Actually the Kuuga upgrades are "Rising Forms"; Amazing was that first black form before "Ultimate".

I think I have heard about the switch in writers, but it isn't really as infamous as the season after this (which hopefully I'll try to "beat" come May). I am trying to find more out about Shouji Imai, the first writer, but he seems more like a traditional J-Drama writer, while the one who takes over from him is Shou Aikawa...who has written more anime and toku and who ends up as Boukenger's main writer...and considering my feelings for Boukenger, it is going to be interesting to see what direction he takes the remainder of the season.

-----

Denziman 11: Considering what takes down Taiyajigolar, I'm surprised there weren't any tacks in the road.

This episode of Denziman really would have felt like a generic one involving a kid needing rescue by the hero if it weren't for the interesting middle section, which I'll get to. The episode in itself is rather typical for the genre: a kid (who happens to be another of Akagi's students that isn't part of Santa's little group) ends up being "run-over" by a Vader Monster, which in this case is a disembodied tire. While it just leaves tire marks on his face, it basically steals his soul, which the Vader Monster usually eats for power. Of course considering it is another of his students (that we will never see again), Akagi is immediately on it and trying to stop the thing...then again so is his sister who ends up yelling out at a tire junkyard to find the monster.

But during this, Akagi actually ends up captured...and that's where things get interesting. Somehow General Hedrer decides to investigate the Denzi Suit, in particular the Denzi Stone within the helmet that empowers the suit, in hopes of finding out more of its secrets. During the process, Akagi nearly sacrifices his Denzi Ring in order to prevent Hedrer's machinery from attacking him, but the Denzi Ring is practically impossible to break or open on its own, made of a metal that is too hard for the machinery and only responding to the will of the Denziman who controls it. Further, when Akagi ends up getting the ring back and Hedrer tries to capture him another way knowing he can be DenziRed again, it ends up leading to him mentally summoning his bike that finally allows for him to escape and to face Tiyajigolar. First of all, I really do like more involvement of Hedrer, who has been key to every Vader plot (written by Uehara) since the failure of Umitsular, showing that there is more support needed by their forces aside from merely sending the MotW, while showing that Hedrer is way more wily than merely facing a monster, Keller, Mirror and an army of Dustlers again and again. Second: while they try to suggest that it was telepathy that allowed for Akagi to get his bike, the truth is that the Denzi Stone appears to be a matter of technology, so it really does feel less like Akagi himself has powers and that the Denzi Stone allows for him to give wireless commands to his bike, possibly due to the vast integration of tech that all devices from Denzi appear to hold.

Seriously, if it weren't for the great showdown between Akagi and Hedrer, it really would have just been another "child of the week" story...but yeah, the middle kept my interest even if the beginning and end were more of the same.

-----

One final note on the Sentai side: I decided I'm not taking a break after I finish Denziman, just flowing the next week into the very next series I do...mostly so I can take a little "break" for about a month once that series post-Denziman is done. More on that later...
Old March 31st, 2015, 08:27 AM #84
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Yeah, there's the ever recurring question of just what the powers are; the technological versus telepathic issue was something from the very beginning of the show, with IC's recruiting of Denziman. Some things that may look like magic actually reflect the Denzi planet's advanced technology.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 09:32 AM #85
> cypsiman2
Power Ranger

cypsiman2
Power Ranger

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Actually the Kuuga upgrades are "Rising Forms"; Amazing was that first black form before "Ultimate".
You'd think I could get something like that right considering I'd rewatched the whole show not too long ago.
Old March 31st, 2015, 05:46 PM #86
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

timegold wrote: View Post

Yeah, there's the ever recurring question of just what the powers are; the technological versus telepathic issue was something from the very beginning of the show, with IC's recruiting of Denziman. Some things that may look like magic actually reflect the Denzi planet's advanced technology.
For the most part I sort of chalk up all of the telepathic powers to the Denzi tech: IC had it obviously when brainwashing the Denziman the first time, and obviously there is something in the Denzi Stone that can allow for probably perfect integration of the various Denzi tech parts like one huge network. Heck, you could say its a whole Denzi Network long before that became a thing...at least its better than USB-cable hair. (then again everything is better than USB-cable hair)

-----

Blade 31: That modeling opening was removed...and now Mutsuki is wearing that suit!?

First: a slight technical note: I sort of knew there was a change in direction with this episode, with at least a new writer and a new feel to the episode, which somehow feels like a hybrid of the "live-esque" filming from Kuuga to Faiz but with more technical stuff (CGI, wipes and such) that makes it feel more like what the franchise will become from '06 onwards. There's also a new opening...the song is again good but now we have the quartet screaming and Blade literally punching the camera...which we did not need.

As for the episode itself: it is interesting that Aikawa's true identity is now known and both Tachibana and Kenzaki are finding out the truth, just at a point where really Aikawa is starting to really have doubts that he wants to do what he basically is destined to do as the Joker. The revelations here involve that the Joker can use any and all Undead cards by becoming any suite, which probably explains how/why his system works so differently in that he can become the Undead, not merely use their power. (and thus why the Human Undead was used as his disguise all along) To all the Undead (including Mutsuki now, who we find out is pretty much possessed by the Spider Undead fully with Shima's gambit failing), the primary goal at this point is simple: stop Aikawa/Chalice/Joker from winning or else prepare for things to get way worse. Obviously Aikawa doesn't even want what potential he now possesses, but with everyone now targeting him, including Tachibana who also seems to not want the Joker to win whether or not Mutsuki/Spider Undead has gotten through to him (he's so easy to manipulate), Aikawa may not have a choice but to fight, even if it dooms the world in the process.

Meanwhile, another mysterious player has decided to take part in the tourney, with powers that can literally steal sealing cards within its body. And another King-Level Undead has decided to show up both to try and stop Aikawa and to screw around with Kenzaki and the BOARD refugees with a Time-manipulating Undead he can control. Of course for Kenzaki it really is hard considering that he still wants to give Aikawa a chance even with all those targting him...but can he figure a way to save someone who basically is the embodiment of destruction and doom?
Old March 31st, 2015, 09:54 PM #87
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

cypsiman2 wrote: View Post

You'd think I could get something like that right considering I'd rewatched the whole show not too long ago.
In all fairness, the names of the forms weren't announced in Kuuga or Agito; one might not even know what they were without supplementary material or Decade's cards.
Old April 1st, 2015, 05:15 AM #88
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Denziman 12: A shiba inu is not a scary thing...maybe a robot shiba inu but one step at a time.

Even if they are as weird as heck, you have to admire the Vader Clan (or is it "Bader Clan"? I saw "B" on the belts making me think it really is an "Engrish name" we've been pronouncing right on this side of the Pacific and we'll have to unlearn) for at least using what they have and what they know to try to continue their invasion and stop the Denziman. In this case, they once again target one of "the kids" (Yuriko this time around, one of probably two females) by abducting her and using the old "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" bit of creating a huge seed pod that releases their own plant child for spying and sabotage. With this a rose-themed Vader Monster leading the charge (and once again back down to Keller and Mirror; seriously Hedrer was making great progress with the last few schemes and you reduce it to the girls?), we have "plant Yuriko" planting spy roses throughout the typical Denzi haunts and trying to assassinate Akira on their command...not sure why Akira is the main target but probably because of the whole "girl to kill a girl" situation. Eventually all of the kids become abducted and we have a whole situation of the Denziman fighting "plant kids" before...another long, tough to follow MotW fight where Baralar fights them, grows huge, then shrinks back down only to get the DenziStick Boomerang to end it. I don't mind breaking typical themes but I sort of wonder if Vader Monsters really are more or less like Gedoshuu and must die twice to truly die...and what the heck the first attack prior to Baralar growing did to it that it could shrink down and take another DenziStick Boomerang?

As if Baralar and plant people aren't weird enough, we also have the introduction of Chieko, a fellow girl of the badge to Midorikawa...and who appears to be stuck in less of a "helpful human role" and more like this season's Lois Lane...which makes me fearful not only of what will happen due to her connection to DenziGreen but if we're going to start getting wacky "Chieko as a Denziman" fantasies...
Old April 1st, 2015, 08:14 AM #89
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Now there, Kyoko wasn't that bad.

That being said, Chieko is no Kyoko.
Old April 1st, 2015, 05:49 PM #90
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Now there, Kyoko wasn't that bad.

That being said, Chieko is no Kyoko.
I'd put Kyoko and Misa Yamaguchi up there on that "good female assistants who aren't really with the team" pedestal. Maybe Kai's girlfriend...but she really wasn't an assistant, just a civilian.

-----

Blade 32: And thus the ultimate power that won the last Battle Royale reveals itself...blue jeans.

Aikawa is an anathema, a being who exists only to seal other Undead as a wild card in the tournament. The other Undead wanted him gone prior knowing what he means, and now humanity possibly knows the truth as well (well Tachibana does): that with Aikawa sealing and using the Human Undead for his "costume", that they have to make the Battle Royale work in a way that will save not only them but all existence. It is this knowledge that makes Tachibana team with the Spider Undead to stop Chalice, knowing that failure is going to mean the end of all life on the planet. But as we see, Aikawa himself realizes that he doesn't want to do what he is supposed to do, and that may be an influence of the Human Undead who gave itself up to allow Aikawa to use him. Through becoming "human", the dominant lifeform of the planet, Aikawa has seen the good of the life of the world and has gained appreciation of it...but he also knows that if things go the way they are, they will be eliminated as well. Thus we have Kenzaki's new mantra: that somehow the Battle Royale will end and the Undead will be sealed...but Aikawa will live and humanity and all life will survive with it. It is a hard proposition considering that Kenzaki wants to protect the Joker, a being whose own existence is the opposite of life, but somehow this is probably the one ally that Aikawa needs now if he's to at least survive with so many enemies from "King" to Mutsuki to Tachibana.

Meanwhile, furthering Tachibana along that path of trying to stop Aikawa is Hirose's father (um...Doctor Prospect...or Kuroda having gone nuts and evil in those 20+ years since the Future Science Foundation), who has revealed that the Blade and Garren powers are basically based on the Joker and furthered Tachibana's path into stopping Chalice for the sake of humanity...even if he has some alterior motive of his own.
Old April 1st, 2015, 05:54 PM #91
> cypsiman2
Power Ranger

cypsiman2
Power Ranger

I really like how it's revealed that the Human Undead gave itself up to be sealed by the Joker Undead, a dangerous and risky sacrifice done in the hopes that it will take a monster and teach it the value of life. Kind of a variation on what Shima tried to do with Mutsuki, but where that one seems to have failed, this one seems to be working. Of course, things aren't easy.

I also really like Hirose's dad coming back into play, because that whole plotline got dropped pretty early on but now something's being done with it, and some pretty interesting things on the whole in my opinion as well.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 05:34 AM #92
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

The factor of Hirose's dad not being mentioned outside the opening episodes did at least allow for an opening in the current arc with him as a major player suddenly. The only real complaint I have is that it really solidified the suspicion they had when he was brought up the first place of what happened to unseal the Undead: to research their immortality to save his wife. I would have maybe liked a few other possible theories before a final "who unsealed the Undead and why" question to be answered, but with that a dropped stich from earlier in the season (and the matters of BOARD really not brought up anymore once Karasuma left for Tibet), this was probably the only way to at least make it matter again.

-----

Denziman 13: At least he's making magic balloons from his mouth instead of magic soccer balls from...his crotch.

One of the most interesting episodes of the original Gorenger was an episode rather early on in its run involving a MotW called Wing Mask. Wing Mask was evil, loyal to the Black Cross without any doubts or openings that could lead to "redemption". However even though he was evil didn't mean he didn't have a heart: he encountered a young girl who bonded with him and even gave her a balloon as he looked after her, all while doing his plans for the Black Cross. (and he did it without even the needs for disguise) When he went down, he did it as a villain, but the little girl still mourned him, showing that he did at least have a heart inside of him and getting across an important lesson: that bad people may have good intentions or idea in them even if what they do is still "evil". Wing Mask's story wasn't about redemption like many MotW who have good things as a part of them, it was about how he protected and befriended the girl and the girl who still missed him even as he destroyed for the Black Cross Army and the Gorenger dealt with him accordingly.

I make mention of Wing Mask at the start of this because Adoballoolar, the Vader Monster of this episode, reminds me of him...but in a stranger, slightly creepier way but not without its sympathies. Adoballoolar is obviously a Vader Monster, sent to find a poison gas to use for attacking with his balloons. But to get to them, he ends up "befriends" the daughter of the main scientst...and doing so while dressed as a strange old man who attack with killer balloons while having "fun" with her. Somehow Adoballoolar is the same intent as Wing Mask in his character and what they wanted to do with him, in creating a destructive Vader Monster who is still evil but has sympathies. But I think in some ways this ended up working and not working in others. I think that the usage of a disguise for the monster ended up obviously allowing for a human side to give us something to connect to but likewise made it creepier with the girl crying for her "ojiichan" while he keeps attacking scientists and fighting the Denziman. As silly as having a Masked Monster doing the same thing, at least there it allowed for the girl to go beyond the monsterous appearance (and the fact he was probably a robot) to create greater sympathies for the monster. On the other hand, the episode does build a friendship that does shine between the two of them, both with him trying to serve Hedrer but showing doubts of what must get done and particularly when he says goodbye to her before his final battle with the Denziman, never revealing his monster side to her at making it believe that the two of them were friends all along even if he knew he was going to die with the heroes having to fight him. Adoballoolar had no regrets and knew he was doomed but he at least wanted to leave good memories for the girl even if he knew he couldn't survive from here on out.

Oh...and to continue the weirdness of Denziman, we have the scientists making the poison gas zapping a laser into Akagi's eyes to remove Adoballoolar's gunk...cause even in an episode like this, it isn't Denziman without something weird and bizarre happening.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:46 AM #93
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

I think the monster's intent was an interesting concept. Not quite moral ambiguity, but certainly deeper than just a purely evil character. The same plan could easily have been used for tricking the girl, or worse, being creepy with her, but showing that he really did care was a nice change of pace

Denziman 13: At least he's making magic balloons from his mouth instead of magic soccer balls from...his crotch.

even in an episode like this, it isn't Denziman without something weird and bizarre happening.
Well, you know how toku is.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 05:47 PM #94
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Well, you know how toku is.
Yeah but Denziman in particular has this whole obsession in just saying in every single episode "we're weird". All the other Sentai just have that programmed in and don't try to be that obvious about it.

-----

Blade 33: If Kenzaki wants to beat King...maybe he should attack the cell phone first.

It is interesting that regarding Aikawa's maintenance of his own "humanity" and the power preventing him from becoming the Joker, it wasn't just the 2 of Hearts but all of the "Heart/Chalice" cards that allowed for him to keep stable and prevent himself from becoming that "destroyer" he has the possibility of becoming. (and yet Mutsuki just became more controlled by the Spider Undead regardless of the cards he got...that showed how well it works in some cases but not others) However due to King making him unstable by taking nearly all his cards and then forcing him into retasting what being Joker was, Aikawa is losing control of himself again and he's trying to prevent himself from crossing a forbidden line that he no longer desires. Amazingly, Kenzaki actually had a Heart-suite card (the Jack) on him so somehow he was able to stabilize him, but unfortunately remaining on Aikawa's side is not making things easier with him now basically the victim and the remaining possibility that if he does rebecome the Joker, then the world could become doomed, even if King wants it to maybe get an opening to make his own victory easier.

Meanwhile, Mr. Hirose's seduction of Tachibana appears to now direct him not merely in just the matter of Aikawa/Joker...but Kenzaki, claiming he has a special Undead controlling power that has to be stopped and thus why he's targeting him with Trial D. I'm not sure I like the sudden revelation of Kenzaki being "special", especially since there was no hint of this prior and really Kenzaki was not supposed to be the "special" one with the problems that Tachibana, Aikawa and Mutsuki possessed and Kenzaki being the "stable one" that they could grow around. We really need to see if Mr. Hirose is just using this for his own means or if there really is more to Kenzaki...just as long as he doesn't start suddenly seeing "God" on a ferryboat or something.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 06:06 PM #95
> cypsiman2
Power Ranger

cypsiman2
Power Ranger

Actuallly, early on when Isaka had Kenzaki captured, it was noted that he had an unusually high compatibility with the Undead, so this turn of the plot with Mr. Hirose seems pretty natural to me.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 05:19 AM #96
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Forgot about that. Unfortunately its just tough for me to really keep track of all the details like that and it really hadn't been brought up outside Isaka's investigation of Kenzaki way back. Somehow though I just have a beef about protagonists being "more special" than others, considering that Kenzaki's connection to the story has more been the stable one compared to the others who just go in all different directions from one moment to the next.

-----

Denziman 14-15: Sorry but unless it was inspired by a muse and built by Gene Kelly, then I have zero interest in going to your roller disco!

When talking about the Vader Clan's concepts for the corruption of human society, 14 was actually a smart move in using Japanese society against itself and just taking part in a major malady of their world: the drive to succeed in school and to gain the means to get to a higher and better position in life. The scheme was a franchise of "100-Point Cram Schools", set up to be like ordinary "push yourselves to get a high score on tests" schooling, but in actuality being more or less playgrounds with little of mental interest (though Kuroda would probably say that shogi is a smart, strategic game so what was that doing in there?) and more about magic Vader Monster pencils that take the test for you while creating an attitude against studying that ulitmately will break society apart. While you could say other villain groups would not like this sort of thing (somehow I imagine Bias sending down Volt generals as inspectors to take this apart), it actually is probably the best Vader Clan scheme yet, using a malady and using it to create a divide between the kids stuck trying to make a better world for themselves and the adults who just want them to succeed no matter what the cost. It was equally smart of the Denziman to actually prove the cram schools did nothing by forcing them to take tests without the magic pencils to prove they're as idiotic as ever. It sort of got weid later on when the first kid caught in the cram school scheme gets invaded by a "kid version" of Jukular trying to force him to go back to the cram school but then abducting him and the other "Denzi kids" to use as hostages, but somehow the fight turned out to be a lot of fun in the end, even actually preventing a giant fight with Jukular shrinking after being fired at by DenziTiger thus giving us our first episode without a giant robot fight since BFJ introduced the concept! (then again Vader Monsters are the only MotW that can both grow giant and become tiny so this is probably why they're able to get away with this through their size manipulation powers)

15 was an interesting episode likewise...though in a different sort of way and with a different generation gap, this time more between teenagers/young adults and their parents. Unlike kids, who have the pressure of trying to succeed hanging over their shoulder, young adults are about being as defiant as possible and doing whatever they want as an act of rebellion. The main act of rebellion here is a man who Midorikawa encounters who obsessively listens to a strange radio show broadcasted by Keller (with Mirror and the MotW running the broadcasts from a van) that brainwash whomever listens to the show and makes them do whatever they command. And here, what Keller commands is to become a roller-skating assassin...which for 1980 actually works and is rather cool even with the ridiculous helmet he has to wear to be said roller-skating assassin. Midorikawa's main story is to mostly get him off listening to that show and doing whatever Keller commands, but even his mother hiding the radio leads to withdrawal that ends up making him search it out until he can get his fix. Ultimately those who were successfully brainwash and doing what Keller wants get an invitation to go to her "roller disco", which isn't much of a disco per-se and ended up having Midorikawa, Kiyama and Akira running around in more ridiculous helmets (and at least making Keller more attractive than she was as a waitress), but at least it has roller skating Dustler assassins to go alongside the roller skating assassins from earlier. And admittedly...the roller skates actually make the Dustlers and the MotW way more formidable, forcing the Denziman to go all out with their attacks to defeat them instead of with regular methods (or maybe roller skates were forbidden on planet Denzi and thus why they don't have their own). Honestly if it takes that much effort to defeat roller skating Dustlers, then the Vaders should just keep them on their minions...but my guess is we'll never see them again. And I'm not sure I liked the end with the male suddenly claiming he's into physical activity instead of obsessing with the radio...considering roller skating is still a physical activity, shouldn't he just skate around without the need for a radio and use that as his method or is that just considered a "loner activity for people who go to roller discos"...in fact the whole final lesson of the episode is rather dumb: discos are a place to meet people, roller skating is a physical activity, thus just find a roller disco not controlled by Keller and you'll be fine! (or is the epilogue more just a subtle way of saying "disco is dead", find something else...regardless, its a dumb moral considering there is nothing wrong with roller skates or disco clubs, just Vader-run roller discos and brainwashing radio signals)
Old April 3rd, 2015, 08:36 AM #97
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Yeah but Denziman in particular has this whole obsession in just saying in every single episode "we're weird". All the other Sentai just have that programmed in and don't try to be that obvious about it.
Well, you know how Denziman is!

While you could say other villain groups would not like this sort of thing (somehow I imagine Bias sending down Volt generals as inspectors to take this apart), it actually is probably the best Vader Clan scheme yet, using a malady and using it to create a divide between the kids stuck trying to make a better world for themselves and the adults who just want them to succeed no matter what the cost. It was equally smart of the Denziman to actually prove the cram schools did nothing by forcing them to take tests without the magic pencils to prove they're as idiotic as ever.
Funnily enough, though, it made for some of the same results as what Bias caused, namely cheating. It's interesting to see how Sentai has handled this ever-recurring problem. Though admittedly, it's a bit creepy seeing the Vader Monster "growing a new pencil".

And admittedly...the roller skates actually make the Dustlers and the MotW way more formidable, forcing the Denziman to go all out with their attacks to defeat them instead of with regular methods (or maybe roller skates were forbidden on planet Denzi and thus why they don't have their own). Honestly if it takes that much effort to defeat roller skating Dustlers, then the Vaders should just keep them on their minions...but my guess is we'll never see them again.
Well, yeah. It's just the era; footsoldiers gain whatever power the monster-of-the-week has, usually for comedic effect and creating a challenge.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 04:41 PM #98
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Well, yeah. It's just the era; footsoldiers gain whatever power the monster-of-the-week has, usually for comedic effect and creating a challenge.
Amazingly I did like that about this era, in giving foot soldiers more usage and at least individualizing them for the fights. It probably went away due to Dynaman's (well needed) cutting back of what was being overdone, which sadly meant they haven't returned. (though having minions work alongside the MotW with themes is just fun regardless)

-----

Blade 34: Use a cell phone to beat a cell phone...I like Hirose's thinking.

With both Trial D and King driving him to his limits, Kenzaki basically reaches his low point in this episode, having become upset that he can't defeat Mr. Hirose's fake Undead nor can he deal with his own King-level card that he needs to complete his suite and thus finish a phase of the capture operation. It really is a downer, with him running away and wanting to avoid even Hirose and Kotaro due to his fears of Trial D trying to get them as well as just the overwhelming power of King preventing him from getting a conclusive victory. However, this is the episode where Kenzaki likewise realizes that he has the allies he needs due to those that he has helped time and again due to his own selfless attitude. Tachibana ends up warning him about Trial D's attacks and does show he is probably working as a double agent against Hirose's father to make sure that Kenzaki is able to survive whatever he really wants, while Hirose ends up returning her "be there for others" concept he's been practicing all season by being there for him and helping him protect those who need protecting, coming up with the brilliant counter-strategy to draw King out for the final showdown. That last battle with the Caucasus Undead was impressive, making me sort of wish that somehow his cards were taken as well to maybe drive Kenzaki even further into a corner instead of a temporary setback for the finale, though the part where he steals his sword and uses it against him was amazing. And then there is the ultimate result: with the power of King, Kenzaki activates a power only he can gain, which amazingly isn't just because of the power of the King card...but all of his cards, amazingly stabilizing King's power as many Undead cards tend to do in stabilizing when sealed properly compared to the situation that Mutsuki have, giving Blade the amazing and golden "King Form" which hopefully will be enough to finally stop Trial D.

Unfortunately even with that problem out of the way and another soon to be resolved, there is still Aikawa's problem of trying to prevent himself from letting his Joker form take him over. In this case, while Kenzaki did give him something to help stabilize some matters, he's still weak without all his Heart Suite cards...and to make matters worse, King transferred them all to Mutsuki before his final battle, thus making him now need to go through Leangle if he wants to defy his fate of being the Joker!
Old April 3rd, 2015, 04:49 PM #99
> cypsiman2
Power Ranger

cypsiman2
Power Ranger

This is one of my favorite episodes of any Kamen Rider series, Hirose's speech to Kenzaki was perfect and Kenzaki fighting the King Undead and taking his sword and destroying his shield with it though sheer raw gumption was amazing; to the extent that Kenzaki is special, it is through how ordinary he is, how focused he is on his goal of protecting people so that they don't experience the trauma he did and how this makes him grow stronger and stronger.

And of course, the King Form is beautiful and is, pun intended, the gold standard for all final Rider forms in my opinion.
Old April 4th, 2015, 02:50 PM #100
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Even with how weird and pointy-headed Blade's main form looks, I do like the King Form with how it just blazenly displays all 13 of the Spade cards on him in gold.

-----

Blade 35: One day, Hajime Aikawa awoken to have found he has become a giant (green) cockroach...

Through the mastery of the "King Form", in a way Kenzaki has started to prove just what Hirose's father was saying about him: that there is a possible danger with him being able to bond with the Undead as easily as he has and thus a reason to worry. As it stands, he still is stable and mostly seems to use the other Undead in King Form to stabilize his own evolution, but considering that the Joker has the ability to use any card, it could be possible that this is a way that Kenzaki could eventually become a Joker himself, so what's beneficial now could turn dangerous later. Though Trial D is finally destroyed, Trial E is now ready to go...and somehow thanks to Tachibana's tenuous connection with Mr. Hirose, this one has his genetics and fighting abilities built inside of it. Meanwhile, Kenzaki can't really relax...since a girl who had shown up during Hirose's little stunt to stop King has decided to play around with him, mostly to see him as her new protector due to having no one on her own. With their similar backgrounds in tragedy, she would be someone they probably would be able to bond, but it probably takes a bit thanks to her attitude and manipulations, but of course Kenzaki being a good person is going to be there for anyone, even if they keep stealing his Change Card.

Meanwhile, Kenzaki achieving King form has likewise brought about something more dangerous: removing the last limitation that Aikawa had in holding back his Joker form and having "the destroyer" set free on the world. As a giant roach monster, it really does symbolize destruction (considering many think cockroaches are probably going to survive regardless of all other lifeforms destroying each other), and with how powerful it is, everyone from humanity and the Undead have to now be on alert in fear of what it can do. And at the same time, Mutsuki has more or less fallen into the trap that Tachibana warned him about before in turning the Undead Capture battle into merely a game of who can get the most cards, especially now he has all of the Chalice suite alongside his own Leangle suite. (it isn't helped with Spider Undead controlling him) A new Queen-Level has emerged to probably straighten Leangle out, but at the same time he is tempted to deal with Joker now...by releasing the Mantis Undead to fight him! Will Aikawa be able to get back to any sort of sanity now that even his own Rider form is being used as a weapon against him and with the Joker appearing to be nothing but a walking weapon of destruction?