Home Menu

Menu

View Poll Results: If I were to bring back a weekend watch (as a marathon method), what would you want?
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers" 10 20.83%
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers"
10 20.83%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3" 5 10.42%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3"
5 10.42%
Kamen Rider Fourze 13 27.08%
Kamen Rider Fourze
13 27.08%
Avatar: The Last Airbender 12 25.00%
12 25.00%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97) 7 14.58%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97)
7 14.58%
Other (Say what in the thread) 1 2.08%
Other (Say what in the thread)
1 2.08%
Votes: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 15th, 2019, 12:21 PM #3681
> RCerdeira
Power Ranger

RCerdeira
Power Ranger

Ataruman wrote: View Post

-----

CHOUJINKI METALDER: REWATCH THOUGHTS

Ep. 25: And now really for an episode that's pretty much Metal Heroes (or just toku in general) fanservice with the JAC Blitzkrieg Cheer Squad, which is basically a bunch of toku alumnis (the actors of Gavan, Sharivan/Speilvan, Diane, Jun Yabuki, Metalder's own suit actor...oh and Mad Gallant/DynaBlack/GoggleBlack for good measure). There's not much to this episode other than the death of Tagaslon of the twins from Coolgin's unit, since otherwise it's about trying to lead a guy who is mysteriously being pursued by Neros and having a bunch of toku alums protecting him...and there isn't anything wrong with that.

I think Metalder´s 25 was the last attempt of Toei to increase the audience of the series and to try to save it.

This episode, aired in 10/04/1987 premiered the new Metal Heroes time slot at 9:30 am on Sundays, preceding the debut of Kamen Rider Black.

In this sense, the participation of so many familiar faces as guest actors was certainly no coincidence.
RCerdeira is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 07:31 PM #3682
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

timegold wrote: View Post

As Zaram had rain-based powers, it makes sense that bathhouses would be something that Akira would enjoy - it's an opposite approach on the same motif.
Probably depends on how clean his water is as Zaram.

RCerdeira wrote: View Post

I think Metalder´s 25 was the last attempt of Toei to increase the audience of the series and to try to save it.

This episode, aired in 10/04/1987 premiered the new Metal Heroes time slot at 9:30 am on Sundays, preceding the debut of Kamen Rider Black.

In this sense, the participation of so many familiar faces as guest actors was certainly no coincidence.
Yeah I sort of know that compared to the Uehara seasons before it, Metalder just never had any breaks and basically it was retooled and kicked to Sundays...though ultimately (really by Jiban), that sort of worked to the advantage of later franchises like KR's revival.

-----

Kyojuu Tokusou Juspion: Ep. 27: Run Swiftly Through the Singing Dancing Road of Youth

Wait...they're card themed and have "Ace" and "Heart" while starting with "Cutie"...IS THIS THE ORIGIN OF CUTIE MADAM!?

The Nanbara family and the search for the Golden Bird has been a bit of a drag on this series and sort of held us down for such a long time. Amazingly, this episode sort of lifts that up (they're sent to Hokkaido and for once Mad Gallant doesn't want to pursue them because there's no leads; smart move on his part) and gets us back to the weird and wonderful stories that can be told without the need for a recurring plot of stupidity like that. And this one, despite cliches, is a really fun episode: using a bizarre MegaBeast formed like a roulette table (that can't be natural), Mad Gallant sets up a club within it's body for kids to party in in order to gain their "youthful energy" for controlling other MegaBeasts, luring them in with a trio known as the Cutie Girls and turning anyone who goes into the club into these weird feral wolfmen. Juspion gets involved due to a random boy who falls for the trap, but one who has problems of his own: he's been stuck both raising his sister and taking care of a gas station since the death of his father; and he dreams of working with his two friends into becoming a singing, dancing star (reminds me a bit of the mid-80s music ala Prince or Miami Vice obviously...and not coincidentally, a lot like the Maskman movie opener "Shot Bomber Zenryoku Shuutsuu two years early) but is so stressed out that he ends up falling for Mad Gallant's scheme. Obviously the whole episode is about "follow your dreams and you will be able to accomplish anything" but it's so goofy with the bizarre nightclub, hilarious plot and girls who fuse into a three-headed wolfman that I'm sort of happy that we finally have something interesting to talk about with Juspion again after the whole Nanbara slog.

-----

Ep. 26: The conclusion of the JAC two-parter...and not much more to really say. One thing I find rather annoying about this episode, though, is that they seem to make this big deal about whether or not the guy they're helping out is actually deceiving them and working alongside Neros or not but in the end none of that really matters because it feels more like coincidence that they were after him and Metalder than any sort of master plan. Oh and while we get a cool and what seems to be major battle with Coolgin, we also get the death of Tagesky...sort of considering that next episode he and Tageslon supposedly show up but it's a rather dumb death, with this big deal second of Coolgin...stepping on his own landmine.

=====

Ressha Sentai ToQger: Station 27: A New Power

Answers like Akira's makes me wish every Sentai squad had a harmonica player.

Right is angry but it's hard to tell why. Is it because of how hard the battles with the Shadow Line have become or is it just because he's just become too much of a warrior pushing himself into fighting against the Shadows with the threat lingering and the path to home being so hard? It all comes to a head during a trip to another Junction Point run by the "Bishop", who ends up ruling a town where the sense of direction has been messed with and no one knows which way to go prior to being sealed away. Amidst it all Right thinks initially all he has to do is just beat Keeper Bishop and they can keep going; but the trick from last time isn't going to work just as it had with Rook (of just switching forms for a couple minutes) and he's just getting more frustrated. And while the Rainbow Line has given the team a brand new upgrade in the form of the "Hyper Ressha" and with everyone counting on Right to use the power to blow the enemy away...he can't use it, even with his vast Imagination pool! This is what should be your typical "upgrade" episode for the hero, where the main Red gains an upgrade and just uses it to wipe the floor of the enemy or has problems but being something like what happened with Daigo last season becoming a feral beast for an episode. However, as the battle continues and the other ToQger try to handle things without him, Right actually comes to a realization: as powerful as his Imagination is, he's become too limited in his scope; fighting all the time has just made it become only focused on fighting and beating the Shadow Line. Imagination is way greater than this and Right almost forgot this until, surprisingly, he sees a drawing of a golden train similar to the Hyper Ressha, one he realizes is of a kid who just wants to see their parents again despite the problem the town had prior to becoming overwhelmed. This sort of reawakens Right to realize that Imagination isn't just a means for combat as nearly every other Sentai power source is: it's just something massive, even limitless in it's scope, and he has to use this to his advantage even if the Shadow Line is the main thread; even borrowing the "Golden Train" image from the drawing to become Hyper Ressha's new form! It's a good upgrade episode and it even introduces a new key figure in the Shadow Line who has sort of always been there in Marchioness Morc, the "mother" of Z (and master of the fully controlled Shadow Towns and the Keeper MotW in there) who continues to see her pupil as weak due to his sparkle obsession and basically forces Z out to fight so that he faces the newly awakened Hyper Ressha and force him to refocus on his own power. Like Right, Z isn't done his own evolution and it is this that perhaps could lead to a greater danger as the battles go on.

(then again regarding Sentai Power Sources, the only other ones that really aren't for combat or isn't just for combat are Magiranger's Magic...and if you understand the season's concept, Changeman's Earth Force)
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 08:47 PM #3683
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Well, unlike Daigo, Right actually does something thematic to earn his power-up, instead of merely existing and demanding others worship him. Right's Imagination is fueled by his team's common desire for family, but his boundaries are more akin to Gekiranger's or Magiranger's powers being limitless in principle, just having whatever the capacity of the user is who can keep on growing. Also, because it's linked thematically to the team's desire, it's something that is compatible with other team members - which is actually a different transition by swapping a power-up instead of the base form.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 07:43 PM #3684
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Well, unlike Daigo, Right actually does something thematic to earn his power-up, instead of merely existing and demanding others worship him.
My theory: blame Yayoi.

-----

Kyojuu Tokusou Juspion: Ep. 28: The Electro-Brain Beast's Lethal Data

Seriously, now how is Satan Gorth going to help his lumbar support?

Somehow I think we were bound to have somewhat of a recap/clip show episode at this point and this one does so in a rather neat way that we've seen before in the franchise but somehow I really think works for the show. The episode involves Mad Gallant bringing in a robot assassin from the planet AI-Ger and his own MegaBeast as a means to eliminate Juspion, basically trying to speed up the time table for the establishment of the MegaBeast Empire. AI-Ger is a neat villain, analyzing all the known data for Juspion and trying to use it and his own battle data for a brief battle he has with the hero to try and perfect the perfect formula to defeat him. Ultimately he does and even after losing in the first battle against Juspion and Daileon, he refits his MegaBeast (a "mechanical beast" one) to crush him and handle anything that Juspion is able to throw at him. After losing, Juspion sort of has to work his way to figure how to win and the answer is surprising but a tad silly: simply put all he had to do was kill AI-Ger the living computer since he was the MegaBeast's brain and down it went. It's a rather simple episode that sort of works in the end even if most of it is a bit clip-show-ish as Mad Gallant tries to remind the audience and AI-Ger why Juspion is just such a threat. (oh and we get signs of Satan Gorth's future palace and even a giant chair...really I don't care what Juspion wants to do, he should have kept the chair and had Daileon use it when not flying around the galaxy)

-----

Ep. 27: You can sort of tell this episode really feels like it is trying to appeal to the kid audience Toei wasn't getting with Metalder (a major reason of the failures is that the show was just skewing too old for the audience that they wanted to sell toys to) with this about some cutesy white gorilla creature that ends up escaping from one of Neros' underground labs for his Monster Army...to meet a random little girl that ends up paling around with it. It's not too bad a concept with Gorigon/Gori-chan, but that little girl in the woods who needs a friend and that cheesy "and then they remove the means that was potentially killing it" ending really just made it all the more juvinille. It isn't a bad attempt but somehow it just never worked that well for me.

=====

Ressha Sentai ToQger: Station 28: Uncool But Cool

I hearby proclaim the entire Earth as Akira's place to die.

With the introduction of Hyper Ressha in the last episode, ToQger seemed to enter into the typical modern Sentai element of "here, let's give the Red a brand new power-up and just make the rest of the team irrelevant". However, this season doesn't really work that way and amazingly sort of does find a way to remind us that Right is in this with the rest of his team, whether he wants to be or not. This sort of happens due to a situation involving Madame Noir, who surprisingly goes out herself after Marchioness Morc criticizes her despite keeping her around, suspiciously allowing the mother of Glitter to remain on her side despite the fact that her daughter has seemingly been absorbed by Z. Frustrated that she's been reduced to the likes of a Shadow Kaijin, Noir uses the feathers in her hat to drive up anger within those infected, making them become uncontrollable...and that includes ToQ #1! (it makes me wonder if Shadow Kaijin seem to have levels of "evolution" to work them into being actual beings as opposed to mooks) The situation basically leads to the team separating in order to work together: Akira sort of just goes on his own silly rampage while Mio and Kagura just work together to clear out all the feathers of the other infected so they can deal with Right. On the other hand, there's the issue of Tokkachi and Hikari, who despite being friends and teammates for so long find out that they're really not that good working together with Tokkachi the clumsy awkward one and Hikari the "king of cool". It isn't made better that Hikari and Tokkachi got into a spat earlier (over Hikari not eating his vegetables funny enough despite being a "Green Ranger") and both like Mio and seem to attract her in different ways. Eventually, HIkari seems to admit that despite Tokkachi's awkwardness, he's better able to communicate what he wants compared to him, who has to be in this eternal "cool" state and thus isn't as good as admitting to what he wants. As for the Right situation...they all just beat up on him unleashing everything they hate about him all at once...but hey, at least the team works together with Right when they somehow use their new finisher to destroy a couple Kuliners from the ground. (and seriously, that was going to be Akira's big fight, too!)
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:31 PM #3685
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

I hearby proclaim the entire Earth as Akira's place to die.
He should see Signalman about that. There, it's now Earf instead of Earth. Problem solved.

Frustrated that she's been reduced to the likes of a Shadow Kaijin, Noir uses the feathers in her hat to drive up anger within those infected, making them become uncontrollable...and that includes ToQ #1! (it makes me wonder if Shadow Kaijin seem to have levels of "evolution" to work them into being actual beings as opposed to mooks)
It's an interesting ploy to drive up darkness within the light, since as we've seen, light can exist within the darkness. Thematically, then, there would be consequences, were it not for this scheme being foiled by the episode's end.

It's also likely that the Shadow hierarchy can be affected by that, since Zaram had his change. Main difference between the different levels seems to be how they use their sentience.

It isn't made better that Hikari and Tokkachi got into a spat earlier (over Hikari not eating his vegetables funny enough despite being a "Green Ranger") and both like Mio and seem to attract her in different ways.
Does everyone like her? Someone say love triangle?
Old May 19th, 2019, 04:55 PM #3686
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

It's an interesting ploy to drive up darkness within the light, since as we've seen, light can exist within the darkness. Thematically, then, there would be consequences, were it not for this scheme being foiled by the episode's end.

It's also likely that the Shadow hierarchy can be affected by that, since Zaram had his change. Main difference between the different levels seems to be how they use their sentience.
It does feel though there is a sense of evolution with the Shadow beings, at least abstractly if not so obvious compared to, say, Rinshi becoming the fully-powered MotW in Geki. (or as an older example, how Tails influence evolution in Dynaman....even if it's not clear where Aton and the royalty came from) A friend seems to theorize that the Shadow Kaijin brought to control a town probably "becomes" one of the Keepers once their job is done and it's fully under Shadow control, but it does seem interesting that someone like Zaram seems like a Shadow Kaijin but had worked himself to be something more than "(Insert Term Here) Shadow" (I say "Rain Shadow" considering his powers); while Noir has powers that appear to work similar to a Shadow Kaijin but she considers the work beneath her and only does it because Morc forces her to. Yet at the same time Glitter was just "born" as a higher level Shadow being...could that have something to do with her own light inducing development/sentience/evolution faster?

-----

Vaction period is starting so...things are going to get a bit wonky from here.
Sort of need to get this cleanup done before I post the weekend work but a few things of note:

-I will be finishing up my Metalder rewatch before I go; I've seen the whole series so it's not that big a deal to just marathon the last twelve episodes over two days, the first will be up in this poist.

-Juspion and ToQger will be four episode marathons that I will get to when I get to them on the trip; the next couple days with the prepwork isn't going to be it, though so outside Metalder, don't expect much.

-At the same time, I will be marathoning the final eight main episodes of Kamen Rider Ghost; I will also do some of the stuff like the web episodes with the Rider Eyecons, mostly because...unfortunately, the characters there seem like they're canon and I haven't watched them yet. (Fraggle Rock will be off the next two weeks but I sort of knew that was going to happen and that's why I'm using the time to finish Ghost)

-Finally, I'll try to get to Zyuranger when I can but if it isn't for a while, then no worry. However whenever Zyu is done, my PR watches for Ninja Storm will begin the weekend after.

With that said, let's begin with today's stuff:

Ep. 28: Surprisingly despite the so-called "shift" with the series, this is a fun episode involving a mysterious female cat burglar known as the Red Panther stealing gems, but mainly those associated with God Neros due to his killing of a friend of hers and an entire family. I really like how this episode plays out and the concept of action having consequences: Neros kills people due to knowing who he is, and someone wants to get back at him; all while taking a much lighter touch with the whole connection Ryusei gains towards the thief.

Ep. 29: After a cute and fun episode that still had the series' darkness, this one is not as fun but just grim and annoying, being about a stray dog who befriend's Mami's St. Bernard only to be mutated as part of Neros' plans to turn domesticated animals against humans. The plan is rather predictable as is the whole "you can't turn against your true nature" moral that of course lead to the German Shepard Jouji's deat at the end. The only funny part is the beginning where Neros tries the same experiment on a cat...and obviously with cats, that isn't going to work as well if ever.

Ep. 30: And now another kid episode...and a rather bland one: a boy ends up lost in the woods after his father gets hurt and has to be saved by Metalder, while at the same time discovering his secret base forcing Neros' forces to pursue him and not break his "man's promise" of revealing where it is, even if he spends the entire final battle hanging from a cliffside. It's a meh episode though I do like that Neros is sort of getting sick of the nonsense and wants to find the base already; while there seems to be a consistence since the death of the brothers of the death of Grand Generals at this point, with the death of the Robot Army's second this time. At least Topgunder showed up and that's cool.

Ep. 31: In an interesting psychological tactic with obvious robotics warfare, Neros builds a robot girl to get close to Metalder and blow him up at the instant he starts transforming. I think the episode works better than it has any right to mostly because I really like the relationship between Tsurugi and the robot girl Yume even if it sort of is marred by technological problems that obviously he can't kill her and she's programmed against him and there's a malfunction at one point that reveals the plan...oh and while a cute relationship, the ending with "her heart's alive, we can rebuild her" just feels ridiculous since I'm not sure where the heck Metalder's getting the robotics tech to do such a thing for little girl bots...but hey, one more Rhapsody cameo, that's cool.

Ep. 32: Another episode I thought was going to go one way but actually turned out to be better than expected. The episode involved a flower called the "Century Beauty", a flower that blooms once per century that ends up empowering anyone who drinks of it's nectar during the day it exists. While it seems like a generic "kid episode" at first, it's actually saved from that thanks to Munemaru Kouda (the actor who played Doctor Man and later plays Gorma XVII), who portrays the boy's grandfather and who sees the evil of the flower due to its power leading to the death of the boy's parents and thus one of his children. It's also important in that it brings about the death of the first Triumphant Saint...yeah, Gelding was a wimp and a weakling but I do like how Coolgin used his own ambition against him to bring about his death...even if even his final battle was rather weak and we don't get a clean final shot of Metalder taking it down. Heck even the moral is good: they find the flower and the grandfather is ready to kill it...but he has to be taught it's just a flower and it does nothing wrong as long as no one touches it.

Ep. 33: We're getting close to the end of the series and the last story before the end-game brings an end to the sub-plot regarding Topgunder and Crosslander. The opening scene of Topgunder head-shotting Neros is probably as cool though not as epic as the "Pink Lady murder scene" from prior in the series and we get a lot of really smart moments here, particularly Neros "rebuilding" several former minions just so the rebel can kill them again for Crosslander to get the attack; and what happens after this is brutal even as Metalder comes to his aid. I'm not a fan of the whole ending where "Metalder goes and fixes up Topgunder again", but my guess is with Topgunder being needed for the ending, it's the only way to keep him around after his "bad time" here.

-----

Kamen Rider Ghost: Ep. 41: Upheaval! The Magistrate's Decision!

I guess with the plot reveals for Sennin/Edith, it's Yurusen stuck wearing the wacky cosplay outfits and bald cap.

Sennin...Edith...it's obvious that somehow they probably are connected but nothing seems to really be clicking on how or why; Takeru has been getting instructions from Sennin all this time while Makoto and later Alain have been getting them from Edith. Obviously Edith seems to be working to create a "perfect world" closer to the concepts of Alain and Adel's father, Adonis; but in the end with the way that the Ganmaizers and Adel have evolved in the process and are looking for their own bizarre non-hypocritical version of perfection, Edith's ideas have finally make him unnecessary for whatever Adel wants. It's due to this that Edith actually appears in the temple to explain all this and the whole "you have to stop Adel" thing (oh and that he has a Ganma Ultimate form), but Adel shows up to be able to handle his own work and to prevent Edith from using the Riders to get in his way. Amidst it all, Takeru is entering into Kouta-levels of "you're not human anymore; aren't you scared or angry about this"...and this finally brings forth the last of the Eyecons Takeru hasn't connected with: Beethoven; it's tough to say how Beethoven's words are going to tie to all this but considering the whole mess with Adel and Alain's relationship and Makoto fighting a clone of himself and Takeru getting closer to the edge of mortality...again...it's hard to say and if there will be something that happens once connection with all 15 Luminaries finally happens.

Kamen Rider Ghost: Ep. 42: Astonishing! Hermit's Truth!

Isn't this a case for an extradimemsional closet of sorts?

With the situation as is of sorts with Adel, it really is best that something is finally cleared up (if anything) by everyone's least favorite sage of mystery, Sennin; or maybe that Edith guy that Makoto talks to on occasion due to his time in the Ganma World. Luckily, no more confusion is needed for any side considering...of course, Edith is Sennin. We finally get some true clarity for once as the mystery monk explains that he probably did have his own intentions at first in dealing with his own desires for Adonis' perfect world, but probably has pushed himself too far with all the deception and lies, basically making everyone mad in the process (and likewise leading to a whole "virtuous anger is a good thing" element that finishes the whole "connect the Luminaries" subplot rather unceremoniously) But of course due to Ryuu Tenkuuji and later with Takeru, Sennin/Edith finally had a change of heart and is finally willing to drop the act and help them out honestly with the mission, which is for the best but really a bit too late to impact anything that I think will matter to the story. Amidst all of this, Takeru also sort of uses this and the lessons of anger to try and reconnect with Adel in hopes of trying to get him to see the light in the same way as everyone else...but unfortunately just aggrevates him in a "2014 Thanos vs. 2018 Thanos" in the manner of "well if trying to change the world is just going to lead to defiance, I may as well become the world itself and destroy everything and start over" element. It isn't probably going to be as simple as Thanos in Endgame I suppose but it does show that sometimes the worst of people just don't get it and don't want to get it thinking their superiority to everyone else is more important and driving than what anyone else thinks...and that's what makes them more dangerous.

-----

Kamen Rider Ghost: The Movie: The 100 Eyecons and Ghost's Fateful Moment

This is probably the second-most infamous piece of music Beethoven ever composed...the first remains "Wellington's Victory".

I've complained quite a few tims during my KR Ghost watch that the series feels less like a Kamen Rider series and more "a Pretty Cure series for boys" with it's themes and concepts. Even this movie, which sort of continues this weird trend of "Riders going to another dimension" that's gone on for a few of the movies around here (Wizard and Gaim did it...and Drive last year had time travel and you know how messy that can get) feels less like KR and more like how a Cure movie would end up being doing the same exact thing. The whole thing happens when during a festival (possibly Obon...but how considering that Takeru's "third...fourth..." chance happened between January and April?), the 15 Luminary Eyecons are abducted by servants of a man named Argos and sent through a dimensional hole thing to a massive Eyecon in the sky, with all of the Riders and most of the side cast in pursuit. The giant Eyecon holds a hundred Luminaries after gaining the main trio's squad (more or less just raiding the Toei costume closet) and appear to be happy doing whatever the heck they want...but since it's a movie, really it's all set-up for something else. In this case, Argos wants to sacrifice all of the Luminaries to create a more powerful Eyecon using a specific vessel so he can somehow gain the power to turn everyone in all worlds, including Earth and Ganma World, into ghosts as a means to claim that people can live better lives without worries (but obviously that isn't the case considering he'll just control everyone in said ghost forms). The plan is rather dumb since it's obviously a whole "we're going to make the whole world united but under me" aspect to it where it all seems hunky dory but obviously it isn't, especially since he's basically killing ghosts of famous dead people to allow for this to happen in the first place.

Takeru's position with this movie is in regards to the whole element of how much longer he himself can be a ghost and tries to suddenly bring pathos to the situation, despite the fact that none of it was around even prior to this other than "will Takeru survived beyond his 99 days" we've had since day 1. The beginning of the movie basically tries to add to it with Akari and what we've felt in the last two-parter about whether or not Takeru is losing his humanity due to being a ghost for so long, but it's really mostly just pathos to build up to the film's climax; with the whole "I won't be able to eat again" thing still feeling like a complaint you'd expect less from a Kamen Rider season and more from a Pretty Cure story. He spends a part of the story getting along with the ghosts of the Luminary town, really only connecting closely with four of the hundred there...and no surprise, they were all those part of his main squad anyway (Musashi, Robin Hood, Goemon and Himiko) and all of them just seem rather satisfied in their new supernatural world, though obviously have to get into action once everyone else is taken for the big plan. The Luminaries just feel like gimmicks in this film and I sort of wish we got more action than we do, let alone how all of the ones siding with Takeru are those he already was using; not even including, say, Nobunaga as part of that main squad considering what Makoto's going through here. It all culminates for Takeru with the reveal that the "vessel" needed for the ultimate Eyecon...is somehow his own body, which Argos just has and fuses all the Eyecons with to create the super-Eyecon for that ultimate form, Kamen Rider Extremer, thus giving us the big climactic element of "Ghost's Fateful Moment": will he destroy his own body for the sake of stopping Argos and his "Kamen Rider Extremer" mode...obviously the answer is yes and it's all done in a very silly element regarding making all the Eyecons under Argos' control laugh over his idea of "I want to eat again" to distract and depower him long enough to become more powered (with some sort of infinity-looking wings that appear more insect but they claim to be bird wings with how they fade into feathers at the end). The destruction of his body obviously is just the idea of doing the right thing for the sake of others and he dies...again...but revives due to the Luminaries.

Makoto and Alain sort of get their own subplots as well here more to do with what's going on and how everything, obviously, is connected. For Makoto, he finally finds out that his father Daigo was alive and helping Argos all this time...but amidst it all, it's sort of a lost cause because somehow the situation with Argos to Daigo is a bit of a fusion of both Takeru and Adel, being given the chance to access the Great Eye (by Sennin...meh...), but sort of going crazy due to all this, deciding to do the Extremer plan, and thus estranging his partner in the process. Obviously Makoto ends up having to fight his father thinking him on the wrong side but he ends up sacrificing himself to save him from Argos, thus making him die and taking away another possible ally or reference point for Makoto and Kanon. He also was trying to hold Argos back due to his desire for a specific Luminary of Charles Darwin needed to activate the power of Extremer to "evolve" everyone, but that really is his whole purpose in the story: to keep the villain busy and to give more pathos to the Fukami duo that they don't need. Alain really only has his typical "I must protect Kanon" schtick at this point and while he's shocked about Argos being alive, it really doesn't mean much to the story other than "you're alive and now you're my enemy because of your dumb plan". Seriously, Onari is more important in this movie as Himiko's horse than he is.

As for the last thing to talk about...that's basically the pre-series cameo...and it's a bizarre one. In the midst of trying to get to Argos' tower, one of his Necrom minions shows up to deal with them on his own. Yet before anything else can happen...the movie literally turns into "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World". And that's because of the sudden arrival of Kamen Rider Ex-Aid, the Rider based around video games and video game tropes. His colorations are loud, he powers up using video game cartridges he inserts into his belt, he collects power ups that make him more powerful as the battle goes on and he even allows for tropes such as hit attacks and even a Vs. Fighting Game and "Stage Clear" element during the whole thing! It's a neat cameo but it's just very jarring, interrupting everything for the sake of introducing this new Rider...let alone we really don't get much more about him other than "what if Scott Pilgrim was a Kamen Rider with a 90s video game aesthetic" at this point.

-----

Fraggle Rock: Ep. 39: Manny's Land of Carpets

I think that considering "A Muppet Family Christmas", did Traveling Matt's wish to Santa come true?

One of the elements regarding Fraggle Rock involves the interaction and attempt to connect between the multiple worlds; and one that of course is crucial is the relationship between Fraggles and the "silly creatures" they encounter both in Uncle Matt's postcards and whenever they go up into Doc's Workshop. Unfortunately in this episode, something from Doc's ends up beneath the surface in the rock: a brand new radio that ends up sending out local broadcasts that seem annoying to Doc (they're just commercials for local programming when Doc was trying to reach out and touch the other side of the world), but to the Fraggles end up being mysterious and wonderous voices introducing them to new world such as "Manny's Land of Carpets" or "Bubba's Burger Barn" (one really loved by Large Marvin, obviously). It's an obvious misinterpretation, particularly the carpet ad where Gobo believes that if they go there, all their dreams will come true and they can get whatever they desire. The whole thing de-evolves into chaos as the radio just blares out the same commercials (even adding one for a laundry cleaner Boober shows interest in after decrying the "evil" of the technology earlier) and Gobo ultimately has to decide where to go with the obvious being "I want to stay here" really only understood by the Fraggles when they first ignore him and he and Wembley sing a sad "goodbye" song that more or less just leads to them dumping the radio in time for Doc to get it back. I'm rather confused by the episode in that it's slightly predictable and I sort of wish the Fraggles really knew it was just commercials (especially since "Bubba's Burger Barn" felt more like a commercial and the only implications the "Manny's Land of Carpets" was an ad was on the surface before the Fraggles steal it and it just became way more opaque), but it's actually a good growth for Gobo and sort of feels like some of the mess of episodes like "The Finger of Light" and "New Trash Heap in Town" should have been, so at least it's better than earlier attempts.

Doc & Sprocket: The main plot involves them and the radio but really it mostly has Doc running around town trying to get the radio station to weaken it's signal to prove that it can pick up international signals while Sprocket tries to get it out of the rock after dumping it there early on.

Songs: "Follow the Road" is a really good, rocking song when the Fraggles are lured by the promises of the "Manny's Land of Carpet" ad and the hype they have about it; while "Goodbye, Goodbye (Just a Rainbow in the Sky)" I sort of feared being more sentimental and how it instantly cured all the Fraggles of leaving, but I did like the song even if in story it just sort of felt a bit too convenient in solving the problem.

Postcard: In a way of inspiring the mess the Fraggles themselves get in, Matt meets the "Wish-Granting Creature" (Santa Claus) and asks for other Fraggles to see how wonderful Outer Space is...but this sort of leads to the comment about "a present" which leads to the radio.

Fraggle Rock: Ep. 40: Junior Sells the Farm

I get not teaching Junior the birds and the bees...but do any other Gorgs exist for him to mate with!?

With last episode attempting (and somewhat failing though not on their own right) to expand the connection between Fraggles and humans/Silly Creatures, this episode returns to the Fraggle/Gorg connection but in a slightly less obvious manner. In fact the episode is mostly about the Gorgs...which means it's mostly about Junior since he's really the only Gorg that gets any real noteriety or connection with Ma and Pa sort of just seen as pushing him along. In this case, Junior is told of the legend of the "Peas of Power", special peas where if one is planted, it will eventually grow into a Gorg maiden that one will marry; and while it's obviously a fairy tale (heck Pa even mentions it's his favorite alongside "Little Red Riding Hood"), Junior's stupidity is boundless and he literally thinks that you can just plant a magic pea and grow a bride. (leading to a funny line later where Pa yells at Junior's stupidity and states "DO YOU THINK YOUR MA CAME FROM A PETUNIA!?") This works to the advantage of a jerkish frog-like creature called Wander McMooch, an obvious "I want to destroy everything and create chaos and call it paradise" type (he'd love it in the Trump administration but leaving politics out of it), who uses Junior's naivite and decides to trick him into selling the castle for some Peas of Power in his own dreams of getting a bride and even uses the Gorg promise chant to do a "no takebacks" and force them out. While obviously it's not a bad episode in sort of showing that Junior's an idiot and allowing for the Fraggles Mokey and Red (who he caught) to help him do a trick to defeat the trickster (basically setting up a pea plant with rhinestones to force McMooch to take it thinking they're diamonds), I think my big problem with the episode is it comes too soon and in the same season as "Sir Hubris and the Gorgs" with a similar premise of "let's get rid of the Gorgs...but not" situation complete with another "they're departing" song. Amazingly I actually prefer this to "Sir Hubris" because it's way more entertaining and it's based more on Junior's own stupidity than the Fraggles being overambitious and forgetting where the Gorgs fit in all this...it's funnier to laugh at a Gorg screwing themselves up than the Fraggles being mean and realizing things before it's too late and it's nice seeing Junior work with them instead of against them.

Doc & Sprocket: Doc buys Sprocket a new dog food dispenser to help him when the inventor's out but it really isn't that good a device, thus another "buyer beware" storyline.

Songs: "Dream Girl Lover" is OK but forgettable, added in with a disturbing idea that the girl Junior will end up with is just a female clone of himself! (with season 1 Ma's hair) "The Gorg's Lament (O World O Time O Woe)" is basically this episode's version of "Doom Dee Doom (March Alone)", but only funnier because the lamenting is mostly Ma and Pa's just telling McMooch all the crap he has to do to maintain a castle he just wants to tear down anyway.

Postcard: Sadly none this time but it isn't like Mokey would carry one and Red's probably the last Fraggle you'd expect one from.
Old May 19th, 2019, 08:58 PM #3687
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Lots of people were speculating about the Sennin and Edith situation a few years back. Twins? A redux of White Wizard/Wiseman? No, it's more of the archetype of the wise old man appearing as the fool (something Yoda was based on), and he just expressed it differently to different people... except when he forgot to drop the act. Need-to-know basis, with him working from the inside to reform. But that's odd to juxtapose with the whole Makoto clone story.

As for the movie, it sure happened. From what I remember, it was a repeat of the plot themes but in a new setting; sometimes that works when parallels and escalation can be drawn. But sometimes it just drags a plot on for longer than necessary.
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM #3688
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Lots of people were speculating about the Sennin and Edith situation a few years back. Twins? A redux of White Wizard/Wiseman? No, it's more of the archetype of the wise old man appearing as the fool (something Yoda was based on), and he just expressed it differently to different people... except when he forgot to drop the act. Need-to-know basis, with him working from the inside to reform. But that's odd to juxtapose with the whole Makoto clone story.
Eh, Yoda did it better and wasn't as annoying and stupid or just out for it for too many reasons.

As for the movie, it sure happened. From what I remember, it was a repeat of the plot themes but in a new setting; sometimes that works when parallels and escalation can be drawn. But sometimes it just drags a plot on for longer than necessary.
Takeru's still a ghost by Obon. Therefore...yeah, he got at least one or two more 99 days.

-----

Ep. 34: And now the endgame begins in earnest with the return of Mai's father, Shingo and his research into Neros based on information he pulled; amazingly I think this should include the stuff from the American records from prior (since I doubt Neros destroyed the originals of those if they only brought a copy prior) and the reveal is actually really consequential and interesting showing him as just a brutal Japanese captain that appeared to hang but somehow escaped. It's really a strong opener to the end-game, from another of the Neros Army's members attacking Shingo because he knows to the shocker that somehow Gozo Kirihara...is Coolgin? But wasn't he supposed to be Neros?

Ep. 35: The arc further deepens with Shingo Oogi obviously trying to reveal the truth regarding Gozo Kirihara and figure how he's connected to Neros...and obviously Neros (who is Kirihara despite the shock ending last time) luring him in in order to eliminate him as he tends to with all of his enemies. I sort of find it a bit surprising that Neros got away to America to build his criminal empire at the same time Koga went to NASA; if they knew and were both in the same place, why didn't they go after each other. My only real complaint: why did they bring back Geldring to kill him off again? I get it: he's the leader of the Monster Army and he has to be the last to fall because he's the leader, but considering the death last time wasn't really that bad, why not just leave it at that and just have Metalder wipe it out with the leader already gone or some sort of power vacuum Metalder takes advantage of?

Ep. 36: In a rather brutal move to screw over Metalder psychologically, Neros actually brainwashes Mai's dad Shingo and then throws him into Tagresky's old armor to make him seem like another revived member of his army. It may as well work considering how often that happens but it's still sort of shocking to see how desperate Neros is in dealing with Metalder at this point. Amidst it all, we also get the final battle with the Robot Army, with them basically just charging at Metalder and Topgunder and dying one after the other until even their leader Varsky goes down. It's a bit surprising but I guess when you rush to the end...

Ep. 37: And now it's time for a weird...non-ending ending. Seriously: we have two episodes after this yet Metalder actually appears to kill God Neros in this episode! It's almost too easy...then again I think that's the whole point of this episode: if Neros went down this easy, he wouldn't be Neros and he's plotting something else. But it's still a great finale, with Topgunder and Metalder storming the Kirihara headquarters, killing the guy who killed Dr. Koga in the first place, surviving a bomb (and watching the Beautiful Secretaries comedically die because "they promised to go where Neros goes forever"), then we get a final battle with the Armament Army and Coolgin...but somehow Coolgin gets away as he kills Topgunder rather shockingly (and it's death cause they destroyed Carcass base; no more repairs possible). It isn't quite over but it is...which just makes it all the more disconcerting I suppose.

Ep. 38: As the last episode showed, the battle wasn't quite over due to the survival of Neros...and surprisingly, Varsky of the Robot Army also survived, being protected by the "female robot" Lortelle who actually likes "likes" him. It is interesting that for the most part Varsky is just mournful and wants to stop the battle himself, but Neros, wearing Koolgin's armor (in a nice way using the whole kagemusha reveal from a few episodes ago) manipulates and powers him for a final episode. While there's a cheesy thing where Lortelle merges with him after sacrificing herself, I do like the final battle where Varsky uses all of the Robot Army's powers and then ultimately does seem to have a change of heart...sure it's as he dies but at least the show seems to treat the robot enemies much better than the other human-esque or mutant ones.

Final Ep./39: One thing that I really love about Metalder despite all the problems, infamy and "kid-dification" of elements is that the ending remained as it was intended and as powerful and uncompromising as it should be. The final battle really was one that was purely Metalder vs. Neros, with a gauntlet of ghosts of the fallen Armored Army warriors (probably cause they're the only ones that have ghosts...though a bit weird even the good ones he allied with were brought back) before just a final showdown where he basically is pushed to the point that somehow we find out he's powerful enough in his build that he could possibly destroy the Earth! It ultimately basically leads to a sacrifice where he does what he needs to for destroying Neros...but then has Hakkou "kill" him to save the planet, with him doubting and even Mai against it except...there's really no other choice. It all wipes away all his memories, powers and secret identity and he's just been reduced to a crippled, mindless robot with Springer guiding him around even with that whole hopeful "I'll always remember you" scene after the deed is done. As said, it's an excellent ending even if a tad controversial in that we usually don't see heroes die at the end, especially in a franchise like this with it being the main hero.

-----

All in all Metalder's still a good series; sure it does have it's more ridiculous moments and a lot of the tropes of MH shine through now I've seen more of the franchise (the Beautiful Secretaries are basically just the "beautiful spy girls" every MH series seems to have before and after this), not to mention Shinji Todo is completely wasted with every appearance by him immediately leading to him mutating to that rubber suit with a different voice actor for Neros (it's sad when even the Sharivan/Shaider Next Gen movies use Todo better and there he's basically just an office worker covering up his daughter's screwy activities as the neo-Horror Girl), but it's still a classic screwed over because "kids don't like serious stuff like this". Considering I'm trying to get through all the MH series including the ones I've seen if only to see them with subs now, just happy I did this...now to get through Juspion on the other side of that.

As for rewatches of other stuff...still want to do Pretty Cure again from Futari but not sure who will follow me...
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM #3689
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

As for rewatches of other stuff...still want to do Pretty Cure again from Futari but not sure who will follow me...[/I]
And miss out on a chance to complain about Pollun again? Heck yeah I'd follow those lol.
GrumpyBookworm is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM #3690
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Yeah, I’d be down for that (especially since I missed your initial Precure reviews and this thread isn’t exactly easy to search through). Honestly I’d say just do what you want, it’s your thread after all.
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote