Home Menu

Menu

Old March 20th, 2014, 04:23 AM #1
> ⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

CW's The 100

The first episode just aired. Wow. That was better than I expected.

I hadn't seen any major previews going into this, outside of a few pictures and a vague synopsis that you probably could have just guessed by looking at them. What surprised me is that the story doesn't just focus entirely on the 100 teenagers sent to post-apocalyptic Earth. It also goes back to the Ark, in space, with all the adults who are monitoring the kids and having their own political power struggles. This immediately sets it apart from stuff like "Lost" or any number of other stories about people stranded and alone.

Speaking of "Lost," we have an alumnus from that cast playing the second-in-command on the Ark. I don't know why everyone here is forced to speak with an American accent when they specifically mention that the Ark is made up of many different nations, but okay. The same thing is going on with the pseudo-villainous Bellany Blake, played by an actor I recognized from the Australian series "Neighbours." That show thoroughly destroyed his character before writing him out entirely, and now I suspect it was so he could do this pilot. Good move. That show was terrible. Anyway. >_>

I also really liked the depiction of this society that is so hardcore that population control is taken extremely seriously, to the point where the idea of two children from the same parent is shocking, and a punishable crime.

The prerequisite "young love" plot is present here, as it is with all CW shows, but it somehow ends up feeling more natural than standard fare for the network. It's also nice to see that the female lead, Clarke Griffin, is actually smart and strong all by herself. And, though she's clearly being set up with one of the dudes on the show, she's not taking any crap, and more importantly, she's not abandoning all sense just because she found a cute boy to hang out with.

I did wonder what made them think it was a good idea to have a random swim in the pond, but I'll forgive it because it does actually end badly for them, and Clarke wasn't the one to initiate it. I'm also glad that super-happy moment in the final scene actually ends with the kids being brought back down to Earth (heh). And, shock of shocks, I actually felt something for the loss of the stoner kid!

If the rest of the show sticks close to the quality of the pilot, I'm sure I'll be sticking with it. The visual effects are surprisingly good. The setup is familiar, but has enough to set it apart that it's still fun to watch. And the story feels like it's actually about something.

Last edited by Multiple Man; January 22nd, 2017 at 12:31 AM.
Multiple Man is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 09:39 AM #2
> JP317
VIP Rider

JP317
VIP Rider

The actress that plays Clarke was also in Neighbours, yeah I'm full of pointless facts there are many other pointless facts I rattled off to a friend after we watched the episode but like I said it's nothing more than pointless trivia.

I really enjoyed the show, that little bit with the dear make me chuckle. I wish I hadn't watched the preview at the end as that just left me confused but I look forward to seeing everything unfold and, hopefully, make sense. I am looking forward to getting a good look at what the remnants of the human race look like, if that's what they are.

Nuclear mutants, humans all we need is robots and we can have a good old RTS
JP317 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 01:00 PM #3
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

I actually liked it a bit less than I thought I would, mainly because the teenagers were being unforgivable assholes just for the sake of adult writers telling us "teenagers are unforgivable assholes". I mean, I get that these are specifically bad seeds, or good seeds that got treated rotten enough over the years to become bad, but that doesn't mean every last one of them has to be chaotic as a result. There's entirely no reason why at least a few of them couldn't have sided with the black guy (Wells?), majority still would have tackled them and nixed their bracelets.

The character I like most of all right now is Clarke's love interest. He's a rebel because seatbelts, but on a show where everyone's clearly fighting for the rebel role, he's continually showing what a good heart he has. Basically, he's teaching Clarke how to lead without having a stick up your ass.

In fact, I think that's what bothered me about the whole first episode. Almost everybody was on edge for one reason or another, and when the apocalypse has already come and gone, I'd really expect to see more cool heads. Even April O'Neil was tense, and she only let up when tension normally ratchets, the moment you're about to be killed. The only adult I could really relate to off the bat was Kelly Hu (does this mean no more China White for the foreseeable future? ;__;).

I'm hoping for big things when we reveal the tribe hunting them. That'll quickly separate it from the Lost/Avatar hybrid The CW clearly greenlit this to be.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 04:12 PM #4
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Multiple Man wrote: View Post

I also really liked the depiction of this society that is so hardcore that population control is taken extremely seriously, to the point where the idea of two children from the same parent is shocking, and a punishable crime.
It doesn't really make sense though, I understand not wanting to grow the population, but you need two children per couple to sustain it and that's only enough if everyone pairs up and actually has children.
The problem that forces them to reduce the population seems to be recent and will be fixed in sixth months but the one child rule has been in place for a long time.

Another thing I didn't get was why the teeangers were locked up, they are still using ressources but do nothing productive, why not let them work or keep them in school with an added monitoring wristband or something, we know they have them.

And why did the majority of the teens act like a bunch of morons? Contrary to popular belief teenagers are not stupid, when pretty much everyone decided not to go to the mountain of food and stay in the middle of the forest I rolled my eyes but I thought maybe they're just too exited that they're out of prison and alive. But after a few hours they should have realized that they have no food or water but instead of getting their crap together they danced around a fire and in the rain. It annoyed me that no one said "Wait a minute, chancellor of earth is right, we DO need farmers and doctors and stuff, we're stuck here and even if the five guys get to the mountain of food and make it back, how much food can they realistically carry? We're fucked!"

It was an interesting pilot but I right now the 100 seem like 3 voices of reason against a bunch of idiots and the evil janitor.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 04:25 PM #5
> ⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

Detainment of the kids seems to me to be more about maintaining some illusion of fairness and righteous intention. They don't want to be seen as just murdering a bunch of kids for no reason, so they lock them up for a certain period and "judge their worth" at the end of their sentence, at which point most of them will likely be killed. I think this is one case where the fact that it's crazy is actually the point. Same with the kids being stupid- I gathered that most of them didn't have a ton of life experience, and those that showed a little more wisdom were the children of people in key positions aboard the Ark.

That being said, I will agree that the show smooths over too many of the finer details and makes it too easy. At least in the pilot. I'm hoping some of these issues will be brought up in subsequent episodes. I assumed some people disagreed with Belany about doing "whatever they want" but weren't about to challenge the mob. It'd be nice to see some people come forward eventually.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:41 AM #6
> ZackMallory
Power Ranger

ZackMallory
Power Ranger

it was a solid start but the high rating is not understandable for me.. star-crossed pilot was way better and had lower ratings
ZackMallory is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:26 AM #7
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

ZackMallory wrote: View Post

it was a solid start but the high rating is not understandable for me.. star-crossed pilot was way better and had lower ratings
Misjudgment based on commercials of the product. Star-Crossed seems like a twilight rip while the 100 comes off as the hunger games. Twilight being looked down on by the masses but Hunger Games are popular. This doesn't equate to the quality of the two shows though just impressions based on the commercials.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:10 AM #8
> Novametalstar
Power Ranger

Novametalstar
Power Ranger

I saw most the premiere of this show and I must say I am more intrigued with the conflict on the space station than the knucklehead kids on the ground. Although logic bomb says that you'd send a couple of doctors and scientists to Earth in radiation suits and other protective gear to test if it was safe. Their plan seems...illogical.
Novametalstar is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:49 PM #9
> Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

Novametalstar wrote: View Post

Although logic bomb says that you'd send a couple of doctors and scientists to Earth in radiation suits and other protective gear to test if it was safe. Their plan seems...illogical.
They might lack the technology for a return trip to the Ark. I mean, they could have just been using a shitty craft for the kids because they really didn't matter, but assuming they weren't, their ships/tech are old and probably rather out of date and it seems like a likely bet that they might not be able to get back up.
Sir Koji is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:39 PM #10
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

I'm fairly intrigued by the Ark storyline and what's going on up there. The kids on the ground being stupid clichés, I could barely sit through. Seriously, all those kids are dumb sheep save for the handful that go on the walkabout? Not one of them thought "Hey, what am I going to eat?" It's been 24 hours, how are they not hungry?
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 06:08 PM #11
> NinjaJack
Read The G.K.A. Times

NinjaJack
Read The G.K.A. Times

Is this based on a book series? It feels like it
NinjaJack is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:34 PM #12
> blurredlights
Completely Undone

blurredlights
Completely Undone

NinjaJack, it is. And based on the pilot episode alone, the TV series is better.
Although, the book did have the luxury of explaining why they're sending the 100 kids to Earth without protective gear or doctors or scientists. (They don't have much of those anymore. Most of whom were 'floated' when they found out that the Ark was running out of resources and threatened to expose the truth. The others were doing experiments on humans on the Ark, and would not want to go on a one-way trip to a potentially radioactive Earth.)
blurredlights is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:05 AM #13
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

NinjaJack wrote: View Post

Is this based on a book series? It feels like it
Which is why they spotted us the "Based on the book by" credit after the opening.

I was a bit let down here simply because of what had been set up previously. The Grounders used Jasper as bait for dinner, yet let the gang untie him AND take their yummy panther? I suppose it was a know-your-enemy thing, but also reeked of stalling. Plus, my head hurts because the guy in the mask at the end didn't have a head shaped anywhere close to the skeleton they found. And wow, is Bellamy's sister like the only girl on the drop ship? She already has Jasper, Adam and Monty set up as potential boyfriends. Not to say I can blame them... >_>

What I did love was the adult dilemma. The chancellor trying to get to the bottom of his shooting, the tied vote to determine what the hell's happening on Earth, Raven being brought in on the Ark's secret, all great. Oh, and we couldn't tell that Raven's attractive, so let's have her take all of her clothes off real quick. Come on, CW, a little class wouldn't hurt.
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:22 AM #14
> JP317
VIP Rider

JP317
VIP Rider

The skull could be easily explained by just being a mishmash of bones and the skull not belonging to the rest, or a different strain of mutation.
JP317 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:44 PM #15
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

I'm thinking maybe giving this one more episode. The general "everyone has to be an idiot or nameless sheep" need of the plot to make the ground storyline work can be forgiven, but it does take the idiot teenagers too far most of the time. Specifically the lack of food part. It's really bugging me, because everyone is burning a lot of energy with just every minute of screen time and no one seems to be finding any water either. These kids should be exhausted and unable to move by episode 3 and dead by 4.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:45 AM #16
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Damn you, show. You finally give Wells one moment where he's appreciated, and he's dead for the absolute BSiest of reasons the very next moment. >__<

Seriously, all this freakin' attitude for the sake of attitude. Yes, I know the moaning was hard to take, but such incredible callousness about just killing someone and getting it over with. Why is every decision made around camp five assholes, five good guys and apathy at every other possible turn? I'm more than ready for the Grounders to exterminate everyone but Jasper's friends.

Also, I guess mankind's screwed, since coming to Earth means 99% will be wiped out by random yellow smoke after a week...
Old April 10th, 2014, 01:55 AM #17
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Finally, an episode all about establishing rules. Yes, there have to be consequences to one's actions, but could we start by actually getting on the same page about one damn thing first? Remember when we were scared of the Grounders killing all of us the way Charlotte killed Wells? Let's work on the wall and shut the fuck up, instead of literally pissing on each other. Again, five assholes deciding Charlotte needs to die, three good guys trying to help her out, and nobody else can find a single shit to give. If this is what's left of humanity, what's the point of keeping it going?

And where are they finding all the energy to bitch? They digested that panther days ago...
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:26 PM #18
> bs10064
Power Ranger

bs10064
Power Ranger

for me the show is on my 'Must Watch New Episode' list than stacking the episodes to binge-watch at some point. I hope the show gets a 2nd season to help develop the characters and story-lines further though
bs10064 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:09 PM #19
> ⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

I'm still really enjoying this show. Despite its flaws, it just seems to have a combination of so many things I dig that I can't help but look forward to each episode. It's not mind-blowing TV, by any stretch, but it has a plot, a set of genuine themes it's playing around with, and actual surprises that are not always telegraphed from 50 miles away.

That sex scene was so forced though. Most of the "sexy" bits are forced, really, but this one was especially laughable, considering everything that just needed to fall perfectly in place for it to happen. At least I actually like the lead chick's love interest and am not dreading when the inevitable third party comes into the picture. Actually, those two are probably the best characters among the young cast.
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:51 AM #20
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Multiple Man wrote: View Post

Actually, those two are probably the best characters among the young cast.
In the sense that every other sentence they utter doesn't make me want to rip their throats out, absolutely.

And I'm honestly surprised there's not been more banging up to now. But that probably has to do with lack of energy due to the food they haven't eaten since the second episode...