Home Menu

Menu

Old December 13th, 2018, 07:10 PM #41
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

Besides Tommy’s forgetfulness (which they dropped by the second half of season 1) Tommy was basically Jason. Both are Karate head jocks. And When Tommy became leader it really wasnt that much different in leader strategy by the time they reached season 3. (Season 2 Tommy as leader was selfish I admit)
To be fair though, Aisha was Billy’s assistant as well with Adam in season 2.
One of the last episodes of season one is all about Tommy's forgetfulness. Not to mention is he's such a derp, that karate is the only thing that kept him focused, he couldn't even play football properly without doing a karate stance.

Aisha was a girly girl sure, But its not like Trini was some masculine tomboy, lol. Trini collected dolls. That sounds pretty girly girly to me. I never thought Aisha and Kim were similar besides liking shopping. Hell, it was a whole episode about zedd turning trini’s makeup that she gave to Kim into a monster (two for one). Trini may have had alot more hobbies, But Aisha still had a better presence on the team imo.
I did list femininity as one of Trini's qualities and it is what related her to Kimberly, Trini was a good balance between tomboy and feminine. Aisha was that before she became a ranger but they dropped her tomboyish side. Aisha's more extroverted than Trini, so yeah she might stand out a bit more sometimes.

Aisha was a whole lot more sass than Kim. That episode where Aisha gets snappy with Tommy (when there’s smoke) I dont recall Kim ever getting an attitude with Jason lol
The whole premise of that episode was Aisha acting out of character, plus Kimberly has a long history of getting snappy too, at Bulk, Skull and monsters, and she got extra snappy when she was in Billy's body.

People seem to use the word sassy on Aisha more just because there's some kind of racial connotation with that word. Kimberly is very sassy and has a mouth on her too, even movie Kim called a Ivan Ooze a raisin head to his face.

Adam actually had a solid character, they just never really did much with it. He just faded in the background after his two focus episodes and “passing the lantern” wasnt really a memorable episode for him.
I liked Adam at first, he was introverted and awkward but in a different less cartoony way than Billy. I particularly liked that episode where he said he had a fear of camera. People always say they prefer Adam in Zeo or Turbo but I liked him best in season two, he was probably my favorite ranger in that short time, I just wish he stayed like that, at least throughout season three.

Last edited by JNTA1234; December 13th, 2018 at 07:30 PM.
JNTA1234 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 08:15 PM #42
> RangerHistorian
Ranger Scholar

RangerHistorian
Ranger Scholar

BigMDtheSequel wrote: View Post

The Master Morpher is what Skull was working on during Samurai. That's why Bulk had to watch his kid for a couple years.
You know that’s actuallu a theory I wouldn’t harp on too much 😂😂😂
RangerHistorian is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 08:43 PM #43
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

Aisha was a whole lot more sass than Kim. That episode where Aisha gets snappy with Tommy (when there’s smoke)
I wouldn't describe Aisha as sassy in that episode. Awful is more like it.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 09:38 PM #44
> Agent Z
Power Ranger

Agent Z
Power Ranger

JNTA1234 wrote: View Post

I'd say Trini and Aisha were about the same but Trini was a more consistent and varied character, within the pre-Green With Evil era alone, there are multiple instances where she's doing science stuff, martial arts stuff or "girl stuff" in any given episode.

Aisha could have been really cool but she dropped martial arts and other cool stuff (like understanding radio waves) only to constantly shop with Kimberly. Not to mention this removed any interesting dynamic she could have had with any of the male rangers. (You'd never know that she was friends with Rocky longer than Kimberly)
Didn’t help that we never saw her even say goodbye to Rocky and Adam in person either. The last time she’s mentioned in the Zordon Era is when she sends Aurik to Tanya. We don’t even get a scene of her sending letters to Adam and Rocky telling them how she’s doing in Africa.
In a way, it kind of feels like becoming Rangers messed up the Stone Canyon Trio’s friendship. Look at Adam’s near apathy to Rocky being injured and then replaced in Turbo.

Adam started out cool too, as this awkward sort of wallflower kinda guy but after that he becomes stale. If they all maintained those characteristics I would have liked them fine but like others said MMPR became a bit too plot heavy to focus on the characters. Ultimately the cast throughout season 2 and 3 of MMPR give Megaforce and Ninja Steel a run for their money for blandest team.
In fairness, the awkward wallflower bit was done better by Billy and even Kat to an extent.

Season one with the original cast wasn't perfect but the writers did put in the work to make them a cohesive team where each ranger stood out in the their own way.
Agent Z is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 10:16 PM #45
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Backfired as them as a whole not being good or memorable characters.
Maybe for you, but that doesn't mean for everyone. There's plenty of people who're fans of Aisha. As for me personally pretty quickly I came to really like Adam.

I never got a vibe they were trying to make the trio feel as if they'd always been there. They were introduced, became friends with the rangers then eventually became rangers themselves. The closest I could say for that would be when they became rangers they were just a normal part of the group. But they weren't much different than when they were just non-ranger friends of the gang. But they never really did anything to make you think they believed the trio had always been there. Just that they treated like regular members of the team upon joining.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 11:27 PM #46
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Keep in mind that it's the second trio that are in the movie, which is what a lot of fans of Power Rangers back then remember, so they're more inclined to remember the Stone Canyon kids more than they are the original MMPR rangers. It took me until I was an older child, as a kid who watched PR, to realize that there was an original trio before them.
Harpsikord is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 12:09 AM #47
> Merlin
The Burning Flame Element

Merlin
The Burning Flame Element

Adam was the "male Trini" in that he was the quieter and more spiritual of the Stone Canyon peeps, and he practised Chinese fighting styles. Aside from that, nothing really translated from her to him, and I'm kind of glad they didn't go further. I always felt Trini was the most tokenistic character a white writer could come up with. Vietnamese name, practices Chinese arts, spouts fortune cookie wisdom, I'm surprised they didn't have her wear hair sticks as fashion or eat sushi all the time. But it was the 90s, and these were the years when white producers hired an "Asian consultant" to teach Margaret Cho to "be more Asian" to play her autobiographical character on a show about an Asian-American family.
Merlin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 01:18 AM #48
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

Merlin wrote: View Post

Adam was the "male Trini" in that he was the quieter and more spiritual of the Stone Canyon peeps, and he practised Chinese fighting styles.
Adam was sort of more like a cross between Billy and Trini.

Aside from that, nothing really translated from her to him, and I'm kind of glad they didn't go further. I always felt Trini was the most tokenistic character a white writer could come up with. Vietnamese name, practices Chinese arts, spouts fortune cookie wisdom, I'm surprised they didn't have her wear hair sticks as fashion or eat sushi all the time.
Well I guess she's not the most tokenistic character then, since they could have gone further. And last time I checked, Trini was a name with Spanish origins.

Sidenote, I never understood this mentality that Asian characters have to be explicit about where they're from. Like I've seen people in and out of RangerBoard imply that Trini's an offensive character just because she never really confirmed her ethnicity. Did Jason confirm if he was Italian? Did Billy confirm if he was Polish?

If you really wanna analyze, all clues point to Trini being Chinese, gung ho is Chinese, kung fu is Chinese, Kwan is a Chinese name. I don't recall her ever doing anything culturally Korean, Vietnamese or Japanese. So I fail to see how she's this "generic Asian caricature" I've seen some people accuse her of being. And you don't really need to be Chinese to do those things, I mean this is a show where a bunch of non-Asian characters are constantly doing something culturally Asian, martial arts.

She was hardly the most stereotypical character on the show, compared to the quintessential 90s black guy who loved to dance, and of course he can sing, and uses words like jammin and phat, and (I cringe saying this) "macks on honeys" like Angela, and hip hop music played in the background during his fight scenes. And Jason and Kimberly don't exactly break away from the stereotypical 90s white guy and white girl.

Everything was simple and easy to identify in MMPR, that's why it's so easy to do unmorphed cosplays of the original team. I don't see why it's such an issue with Trini. I've even seen some people slap these accusations on Adam.....have you seen Passing the Lantern?

I feel people like get caught up in these preconceived notions about non-white characters, like we said with Aisha being sassier than Kimberly and we sometimes get mad at writers for treating non-white characters the same way we treat white characters. I mean one of Jason's episodes is about lifting weights, like every All American white jock should....hello?

Last edited by JNTA1234; December 14th, 2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old December 14th, 2018, 01:35 AM #49
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe

JNTA1234 wrote: View Post

I fail to see how she's this "generic Asian caricature" I've seen some people accuse her of being.
The four stereotypes he pointed out that you never addressed...

You don't have to showcase EVERY Asian nation's culture to be generically Asian.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 02:01 AM #50
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

The four stereotypes he pointed out that you never addressed...

You don't have to showcase EVERY Asian nation's culture to be generically Asian.
Okay.....I guess.

It would have been nice if Trini had a Passing The Lantern type episode (by the way, I've even seen people imply that episode's offensive or stereotypical too) to confirm her heritage though.

My point is I just wish we could be more objective about the show with all the characters. Trini wasn't spouting fortune cookie wisdom anymore than Kimberly had her moments of valley girl ditziness. (neither of which happened all that often by the way)

Yeah, as mentioned before there were moments of really stereotypical writing, with ALL the characters, but I think some people exaggerate, even with Zack as in your face as he was sometimes,.
Old December 14th, 2018, 02:05 AM #51
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

So... Is this thread stronger than before?
Spider-Phoenix is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 02:30 AM #52
> Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

Trini is actually my favorite out of the OG six. Jason and Tommy were the jocks, Billy was the gifted child prodigy, Zack was the cool and funny life of the party and Kim was the valley girl. I fit into none of those categories at all so I kind of gravitated towards Trini because she was the only one I could by default relate to the most.
Lordoftherangers is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 02:43 AM #53
> Agent Z
Power Ranger

Agent Z
Power Ranger

Spider-Phoenix wrote: View Post

So... Is this thread stronger than before?
It's definitely Rangers at the core.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old December 14th, 2018, 04:24 AM #54
> Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Regarding the stereotypes: eh, it was 1993 and considering this is one of the few shows, kids or otherwise, that actually prided it's diversity, at least it was something. So Trini is "generic Asian", Zack specifically practices "hip-hop akido" and Kimberly feels like she just left the Valley: yeah it feels ridiculous now but we ate it up back then.
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 04:48 AM #55
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

In Kimberly’s case it was eventually phased out to ultimately being gone by season 2.

I’m pretty sure I recall Walter Jones saying Zack is close to his real life personality and he’s defended the black ranger being played by a black man loads of times to the point I imagine he gets tired of hack vlog journalist asking him about it.

Trini’s a lot harder to defend. On the one she was an Asian superhero who wasn’t portrayed as a Samurai or a Ninja or something. On the other hand, just try to tell me what her personality was like. Sometimes I think some of the writers or maybe Thuy herself tried to sneak a personality in there but it never really panned and she just ended up getting stuck 1. Translating Billy’s awkward thesaurus speech 2. Being Kimberly’s girlfriend
PineapplePizza is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 05:14 AM #56
> Agent Z
Power Ranger

Agent Z
Power Ranger

Watching Fighting Spirit and there's something I feel is a bit... off about the MMPR White Ranger fight.

Firstly, the grayish tint used for the scene is pretty ominous. Way more ominous than what is used for the Zeo Ranger and MMPR Green scenes. There's the way the MMPR White calls out Tommy's name in a mocking, creepy fashion and the creepy laugh that is heard just before he appears in front of Tommy. Pretty much everything about this scene is building a sense of dread before the fight begins.

My point is, I feel that this is how the fight before the Green Ranger battle should have been built up to with the audience and Tommy feeling creeped out by the noises and environment before the Green Ranger appears. Instead, the Green Ranger's appearance is just underwhelming and the White Ranger scene has an atmosphere that feels inappropriate.

Furthermore, the White Ranger's characterization is odd. In addition to the aforementioned laugh, there's the mocking of Tommy which seems ooc for how Tommy acted as White Ranger. Again, this would have made more sense for Green.
Old December 14th, 2018, 05:53 AM #57
> kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

PineapplePizza wrote: View Post

I’m pretty sure I recall Walter Jones saying Zack is close to his real life personality and he’s defended the black ranger being played by a black man loads of times to the point I imagine he gets tired of hack vlog journalist asking him about it.
Zack and Kimberly are not only tied to their actors but their decade; each new iteration of them has to take out the valley girl talk and the dancing aspect, respectively. It's worse for Zack as most can't pin down anything new for him other than a jock or a second in command vibe, because stereotype.

And yeah, Trini sticks out as a stereotype but not entirely a bad one. In the grand scheme, she relates to immigrating Asian Americans more than those assimilated, who can compare more to Kai or Eric. Likewise, I think they tries to give her some quirk, but hardly stands out with how Asians and martial arts were intertwined until recently. At least she was a fighting female in the realm of Male martial arts stars

Last edited by kibapower; December 14th, 2018 at 06:11 AM.
kibapower is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old December 14th, 2018, 06:40 AM #58
> HipHopKidoChamp
Power Ranger

HipHopKidoChamp
Power Ranger

I always thought of Trini as the heart of the group. She wasn't the funniest, the loudest, or the clumsiest. But, she seemed most like everyone's friend. The link that had all of them hanging out together in the first place.

Jason and Zack were already friends from childhood, Kim was the popular cheerleader and Billy was the outsider that nobody would have really spent time with if it weren't for Trini.

Trini was the central connection that bridged the very different social circles at the start of the group's friendship. She did that quietly by letting the louder personalities preen and helping the more reserved find their voice and establish their own presence.
HipHopKidoChamp is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 06:56 AM #59
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

Alitain wrote: View Post

Maybe for you, but that doesn't mean for everyone. There's plenty of people who're fans of Aisha. As for me personally pretty quickly I came to really like Adam.

I never got a vibe they were trying to make the trio feel as if they'd always been there. They were introduced, became friends with the rangers then eventually became rangers themselves. The closest I could say for that would be when they became rangers they were just a normal part of the group. But they weren't much different than when they were just non-ranger friends of the gang. But they never really did anything to make you think they believed the trio had always been there. Just that they treated like regular members of the team upon joining.
In one episode where Kim and Tommy lost their memory, Aisha is all like “you dont remember me? Im your best friend!”

It’s like, you just moved here two weeks ago lol. Best friends? It just came off so inorganic lol.

And when they morph for the first time its like no reaction or anything. They know exactly what to do and how to do it. They at least did a bit better when Kat morphed for the first time. Kat’s all “wow im really a power ranger I cant believe it”

I love detail like that.
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 07:13 AM #60
> Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

And when they morph for the first time its like no reaction or anything. They know exactly what to do and how to do it. They at least did a bit better when Kat morphed for the first time. Kat’s all “wow im really a power ranger I cant believe it”

I love detail like that.
Well that was fully explained in Jungle Fury. When you morph the knowledge on how to fight, pilot a zord etc becomes part of your biology. Billy and Trini even comment on this in the first episode when they said "I can't believe I know how to drive this thing its almost like it's second nature to me"
Lordoftherangers is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote