Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2017, 08:28 PM #21
MegaBlue's Avatar
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,592
MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!
MegaBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,592



Every season needs a theme song, right?

MegaBlue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 03:21 PM #22
Long Time Newbie's Avatar
> Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,207
Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger
Long Time Newbie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,207



So what's the reasoning behind Alpha/Somnibot?

And unless the family is of the Wizards of Waverly Place variety 'like a brother to me' seems an odd choice for a romance and shipping thread.

I remember at one point in the old thread I suggested Justin/Syd as a joke * compared to much of what followed that now seems almost sensible.
Long Time Newbie is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 04:06 PM #23
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 79,459
AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 79,459



Long Time Newbie wrote: View Post

So what's the reasoning behind Alpha/Somnibot?
They're both robots.

Which is honestly prejudice.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 05:01 PM #24
dark ranger 86's Avatar
> dark ranger 86
I AM HERE
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,294
dark ranger 86
I AM HERE
dark ranger 86's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,294



After this recent episode I'm shipping Hayley and Levi.
dark ranger 86 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 05:48 PM #25
jaguarranger's Avatar
> jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,649
jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
jaguarranger's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,649



GreenMystechRanger wrote: View Post

So, is Gaylyn like... the Zordon to your Rita?

Also, I feel like Victor/Monty is that one ship that almost everybody jumps on. Like Chiley was for Dino Charge.

And this time even I ship it!
I didn't jump on Chiley, nor do I jump on any male/male ship, mainly for a couple of reasons.

1. I'm not gay so I have no interest in romantic relations between fictional male characters.

2. I'm sick and tired of people shipping male characters who are close, because it sends the message that men can't have close and meaningful relationships with each other without being gay. And as a man, I find that offensive.

I honestly really don't know why male/male ships are so popular. Is it because there are so few canonical male/male relationships in media?

I was a big shipper of Chip and Vida in Mystic Force, and part of me suspects Kendall and Koda had something going on during Dino Charge. Mainly because he was the only one allowed to call her Kendall rather than Ms. Morgan.
jaguarranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 06:57 PM #26
ZandarLantyriel's Avatar
> ZandarLantyriel
Bandora's Apprentice
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 576
ZandarLantyriel
Bandora's Apprentice
ZandarLantyriel's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 576



jaguarranger wrote: View Post

I didn't jump on Chiley, nor do I jump on any male/male ship, mainly for a couple of reasons.

1. I'm not gay so I have no interest in romantic relations between fictional male characters.

2. I'm sick and tired of people shipping male characters who are close, because it sends the message that men can't have close and meaningful relationships with each other without being gay. And as a man, I find that offensive.

I honestly really don't know why male/male ships are so popular. Is it because there are so few canonical male/male relationships in media?
Yes, that is a major component of why. You're on a shipping thread of a show with an unbalanced male:female character ratio so it's rather expected that you encounter ships that are non-conventional/non-canoncial. That's the entire point. We as fans use this as an extension of our desires/interpretations of what we see. It's all fun and for some of us, wish-fulfillment.

And yes, that means that there is a preponderance of male/male ships here because it's a safe place to talk about it. If there were openly canoncial male/male pairings in ANY fandom, fans like me would be (slightly) less inclined to invent/extrapolate our own pairings.

I find it interesting that you take such umbrage that people imagine male/male pairings because it sounds to me that you feel it impinges upon your masculinity somehow ("As a man, I find that offensive"). As if being gay makes you any less of a man. From a psychological/sociological standpoint, that tends to demonstrate either ignorance, homophobia, a lack of security/surety in one's masculinity/sexuality, or all of the above.

Your claim that constantly shipping two males creates an environment that two guys can't be close without being perceived as gay has very little grounds and warrant. It is also a common dog whistle for social conservatives/homophobes. For whom is your claim true? The people that ship dudes together? Is that a bad thing? Are you implying that your worldview and values are the "correct" ones? How does male/male shipping affect the greater world if it's pretty much limited to this board, if not this thread? Do the beliefs of a few ragtag shippers on a message board matter so much to you? That sounds very much like thought-policing.


Would the same be true for girls if all we talked about was pairing Gia/Emma (because people did a lot back in Megaforce/Super Megaforce)? There are plenty of lesbian ships here (not as many but they're embraced here) but do we automatically assume that if two girls were super close and huggy together that they must be involved?

You've focused on the male shipping so if you do believe the same would be true for girls then you likely don't have a problem with lesbianism, which is hypocritical. If not, then you espouse a double-standard which is still hypocritical.

To your Point 1: If you don't want to talk about male/male pairings, don't bring up or talk about male/male pairings. Or don't visit this thread. It's a simple as that.
To your Point 2: The thoughts and desires of others must have great power over you if they can make you sick and tired.
To your Point of not understanding why male/male ships are so popular: This show has a habit of casting devastatingly handsome guys, some of whom have shown a LOT of skin (I'm looking at YOU Dino Charge). It would obviously attract a gay male/fangirl demographic.

dark ranger 86 wrote: View Post

After this recent episode I'm shipping Hayley and Levi.
Well that frees Calvin up for Preston then
ZandarLantyriel is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 07:04 PM #27
dark ranger 86's Avatar
> dark ranger 86
I AM HERE
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,294
dark ranger 86
I AM HERE
dark ranger 86's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,294



ZandarLantyriel wrote: View Post

Well that frees Calvin up for Preston then
Oh boy what have I done. Still think they haven't two words to each other so far. IIRC
dark ranger 86 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 07:10 PM #28
jaguarranger's Avatar
> jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,649
jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
jaguarranger's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,649



ZandarLantyriel wrote: View Post

Yes, that is a major component of why. You're on a shipping thread of a show with an unbalanced male:female character ratio so it's rather expected that you encounter ships that are non-conventional/non-canoncial. That's the entire point. We as fans use this as an extension of our desires/interpretations of what we see. It's all fun and for some of us, wish-fulfillment.

And yes, that means that there is a preponderance of male/male ships here because it's a safe place to talk about it. If there were openly canoncial male/male pairings in ANY fandom, fans like me would be (slightly) less inclined to invent/extrapolate our own pairings.

I find it interesting that you take such umbrage that people imagine male/male pairings because it sounds to me that you feel it impinges upon your masculinity somehow ("As a man, I find that offensive"). As if being gay makes you any less of a man. From a psychological/sociological standpoint, that tends to demonstrate either ignorance, homophobia, a lack of security/surety in one's masculinity/sexuality, or all of the above.

Your claim that constantly shipping two males creates an environment that two guys can't be close without being perceived as gay has very little grounds and warrant. It is also a common dog whistle for social conservatives/homophobes. For whom is your claim true? The people that ship dudes together? Is that a bad thing? Are you implying that your worldview and values are the "correct" ones? How does male/male shipping affect the greater world if it's pretty much limited to this board, if not this thread? Do the beliefs of a few ragtag shippers on a message board matter so much to you? That sounds very much like thought-policing.


Would the same be true for girls if all we talked about was pairing Gia/Emma (because people did a lot back in Megaforce/Super Megaforce)? There are plenty of lesbian ships here (not as many but they're embraced here) but do we automatically assume that if two girls were super close and huggy together that they must be involved?

You've focused on the male shipping so if you do believe the same would be true for girls then you likely don't have a problem with lesbianism, which is hypocritical. If not, then you espouse a double-standard which is still hypocritical.

To your Point 1: If you don't want to talk about male/male pairings, don't bring up or talk about male/male pairings. Or don't visit this thread. It's a simple as that.
To your Point 2: The thoughts and desires of others must have great power over you if they can make you sick and tired.
To your Point of not understanding why male/male ships are so popular: This show has a habit of casting devastatingly handsome guys, some of whom have shown a LOT of skin (I'm looking at YOU Dino Charge). It would obviously attract a gay male/fangirl demographic.



Well that frees Calvin up for Preston then
Perhaps, but maybe not quite in the way you think. I feel they reinforce an outdated, stereotypical, and frankly wrong notion of masculinity, that being that men are supposed to be strong and emotionless, and that to indicate otherwise means some sort of weakness and/or attraction, that men are incapable of forming meaningful bonds with anyone, be it men or women without an underlying current of sexual attraction.

Furthermore, I do not believe the same is true for female/female pairings, as society has long accepted and allowed females to display close amounts of affections to each other without automatically jumping to conclusions regarding their sexuality. This is a double standard that has existed in society for a long time, and my complaints regarding male/male shipping stem primarily from it. Perhaps I need to do a better job expressing that in the future.

And if you knew anything about me, you'd know I'm about as far from homophobic as it gets. I'll thank you not to psychoanalyze a stranger whose real name you don't even know.

Last edited by jaguarranger; August 26th, 2017 at 07:25 PM.
jaguarranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 08:13 PM #29
AngieYaz's Avatar
> AngieYaz
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,173
AngieYaz
Banned
AngieYaz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,173



I see one of the thread tags. You guys wanting me in on the awesomeness?

------

My Alpha 5 pairings.

Alpha/Somnibot (what should have happened in Zeo; in the episode itself, Alpha merely mentions her name in passing and never meets her)
Alpha/Delta 4 (my OC; relationship based on Richard's relationship with his real-life wife)
Alpha/Poison Ivy (seen in my story titled Everything's Going Super)
Alpha/Rita (servant/master relationship, based on what Rita said in the comics and her placing him under her spell in The Wedding)

Last edited by AngieYaz; August 26th, 2017 at 08:20 PM.
AngieYaz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 08:49 PM #30
AkaGreen's Avatar
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,393
AkaGreen
JusticeForK
AkaGreen's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,393



But what about his sink wife?

AngieYaz wrote: View Post

Alpha/Rita (servant/master relationship, based on what Rita said in the comics and her placing him under her spell in The Wedding)
Zedd probably wouldn't think twice about destroying him.

dark ranger 86 wrote: View Post

After this recent episode I'm shipping Hayley and Levi.
Really? Because this episode just made me like Halvin more.

Calvin being hurt that Hayley didn't tell him about the plan was a subtle way to show that he does care. It's not just a "oh btw they're dating" thing like Power Rangers sometimes does. While everyone else was jumping on the both of them, Calvin focused on Hayley.

It was a subtle moment, but a moment nonetheless.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 09:19 PM #31
AngieYaz's Avatar
> AngieYaz
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,173
AngieYaz
Banned
AngieYaz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,173



GreenMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Zedd probably wouldn't think twice about destroying him.
Rita would kill Zedd, as she SHOULD have from the beginning.
AngieYaz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 09:21 PM #32
AkaGreen's Avatar
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,393
AkaGreen
JusticeForK
AkaGreen's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,393



I'm pretty sure Zedd's more powerful than Rita. I doubt she would've been able to kill him.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 09:30 PM #33
AngieYaz's Avatar
> AngieYaz
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,173
AngieYaz
Banned
AngieYaz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,173



GreenMystechRanger wrote: View Post

I'm pretty sure Zedd's more powerful than Rita. I doubt she would've been able to kill him.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. He DID take her powers away.
AngieYaz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 09:36 PM #34
dark ranger 86's Avatar
> dark ranger 86
I AM HERE
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,294
dark ranger 86
I AM HERE
dark ranger 86's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,294



Rita could have killed Zedd in his plot device slumber. Well anyone could. Squatt could have done it since he has experience.
dark ranger 86 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 09:41 PM #35
MegaBlue's Avatar
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,592
MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!
MegaBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,592



Alpha/Rita is a horrifying combination, especially Alpha-6.

"Ey-yo, Rita! Youse are, like, pretty and shit!"
"OH ALPHA! YOU SAY THE SWEETEST THINGS!"
MegaBlue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 09:50 PM #36
AngieYaz's Avatar
> AngieYaz
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,173
AngieYaz
Banned
AngieYaz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,173



MegaBlue wrote: View Post

Alpha/Rita is a horrifying combination, especially Alpha-6.

"Ey-yo, Rita! Youse are, like, pretty and shit!"
"OH ALPHA! YOU SAY THE SWEETEST THINGS!"
WHOA! WHOA! HEY, WAIT A MINUTE! WRONG ALPHA, BUDDY!
AngieYaz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 09:52 PM #37
dark ranger 86's Avatar
> dark ranger 86
I AM HERE
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,294
dark ranger 86
I AM HERE
dark ranger 86's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,294



MegaBlue wrote: View Post

Alpha/Rita is a horrifying combination, especially Alpha-6.

"Ey-yo, Rita! Youse are, like, pretty and shit!"
"OH ALPHA! YOU SAY THE SWEETEST THINGS!"
So is this 1950's Turbo Alpha?
dark ranger 86 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 10:11 PM #38
ZandarLantyriel's Avatar
> ZandarLantyriel
Bandora's Apprentice
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 576
ZandarLantyriel
Bandora's Apprentice
ZandarLantyriel's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 576



jaguarranger wrote: View Post

Perhaps, but maybe not quite in the way you think.
I'm not sure to what you're referring here. It helps to break up the quote so you can address the correlating points.

I feel they reinforce an outdated, stereotypical, and frankly wrong notion of masculinity, that being that men are supposed to be strong and emotionless, and that to indicate otherwise means some sort of weakness and/or attraction, that men are incapable of forming meaningful bonds with anyone, be it men or women without an underlying current of sexual attraction.
That statement supposes a hypothetical that assumes a false equivalence between attraction to other men and weakness. Your admittance that it is how you feel makes this a proposition of value rather than one of fact.
It's a rather large leap of logic to believe that simply because a lot of people ship guys together, it will make everyone else unable to see two men being friends without some kind of sexual innuendo. This is a slippery slope argument.

Here is the rhetoric that I can see in what I'm hearing so far:

STATEMENT: A lot of people ship male characters together
CLAIM (Your point): This perpetuates a stereotype in the belief that if any two male characters are close, they must be attracted to one another thus making it very difficult for people to see two men who are close to simply be friends.
GROUNDS (Your data/proof): ...This thread?
WARRANT (The evidence to link your proof to the claim): Your...feelings?

Furthermore, I do not believe the same is true for female/female pairings, as society has long accepted and allowed females to display close amounts of affections to each other without automatically jumping to conclusions regarding their sexuality. This is a double standard that has existed in society for a long time, and my complaints regarding male/male shipping stem primarily from it.
Your complaint is based upon a pre-supposition that a critical mass of people on this thread ship male/male (which there kinda is, but that's been the nature of this thread's predecessor), but as I said before: Simply because a vocal bunch here (including me) love to deconstruct episodes and analyze body language, this is a sign of a larger social epidemic?

My point here is, if YOU don't see two men who are close as having anything romantic between them, what's the problem?

And if you knew anything about me,
But I don't. I can only form perceptions from what you say.

you'd know I'm about as far from homophobic as it gets.
Your words seem to belie that claim:
2. I'm sick and tired of people shipping male characters who are close, because it sends the message that men can't have close and meaningful relationships with each other without being gay. And as a man, I find that offensive.
As a gay man I'm not particularly interested in hetero or lesbian pairings, but I do not go out of my way to say that I am "sick and tired" of those types of pairings (of which hetero pairings are both prevalent and many are canoncial).
Your words (that I have bolded, underlined and italicized) are the ones that are most telling here. The expression seems like one of disgust (being male is intrinsic and at the core of your identity and the narrative that you outline in your point strikes at that core creating your visceral reaction).

Whether or not you are homophobic is immaterial here- your words attack the notion of male/male pairings, as if they reinforce, as I paraphrase from you, a false and antiquated standard of masculinity.

Perhaps I need to do a better job expressing that in the future.
Perhaps a better phrasing (of what I THINK you're saying that you mean) would be: I don't like the old stereotypes/narratives of masculinity that men must be distant/aloof/unfeeling toward one another that is perpetuated by constantly pairing males together as this facilitates the belief that any two men who are physically and emotionally close/connected will more than likely be perceived as being in a physical/romantic relationship.

But then again, that doesn't quite have the same visceral impact of your original statement.

If you truly believe so strongly that modern masculinity can be sensitive, thoughtful, and have care relationships between men without sexuality, then it will certainly survive us slash shippers pairing any males at will. Is this modern masculinity so fragile that a bunch of shippers can so easily tear it down?


In fact, your assertion is very similar to and is a very insidious evolution of an old argument:
"If we teach about homosexuality in schools, then it'll turn kids gay".
"If lots of people ship men together, no one will be able to see two men who are close as anything but lovers."

I'll thank you not to psychoanalyze a stranger whose real name you don't even know.
But that's the salient point. I DON'T know you per se- only what you have said, which may or may not accurately speak to your views/beliefs. I can only speak to what you have said. Is knowing your name really that important to carry on an intelligent conversation?

And I'll thank you not to disparage a type of shipping that a lot of people here really enjoy, whether as a lark or in earnest and who bond and form friendships over (like Greenie and me Vonty forever!).

MegaBlue wrote: View Post

Alpha/Rita is a horrifying combination, especially Alpha-6.

"Ey-yo, Rita! Youse are, like, pretty and shit!"
"OH ALPHA! YOU SAY THE SWEETEST THINGS!"
Wow that's frightening. It's a battle of the grating voices- the moon would break. (JK, I love Rita's voice. It's so iconic)

dark ranger 86 wrote: View Post

So is this 1950's Turbo Alpha?
Yes, yes it is. It's like Grease. In fact, it's set against the backdrop of Rita/Zedd's Tengas vs. Mondo/Machina's Cogs. The Jets and the Sharks all over again.
ZandarLantyriel is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 10:48 PM #39
MegaBlue's Avatar
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,592
MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!
MegaBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,592



dark ranger 86 wrote: View Post

So is this 1950's Turbo Alpha?
It was going to be sweet, innocent, Alpha-5, but 6 has the more annoying voice, to go with Rita's annoying voice, so... Yeah.
MegaBlue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 11:11 PM #40
AngieYaz's Avatar
> AngieYaz
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,173
AngieYaz
Banned
AngieYaz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,173



MegaBlue wrote: View Post

It was going to be sweet, innocent, Alpha-5, but 6 has the more annoying voice, to go with Rita's annoying voice, so... Yeah.


I'm laughing my ass off.
AngieYaz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Tags
alpha/alpha/alpha/alpha, alpha/somnibot, here we go again, like a brother to me, old thread/this thread, super mega shipping, uaerg, vic/monty in love story, viconty chocolate love

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.