Home Menu

Menu

Old October 11th, 2018, 05:42 PM #5321
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

JNTA1234 wrote: View Post

There's even a few momemts where Bridge is portayed as antagonistic towards the other rangers? Really?
Oh, but wait. In SWAT, the kids learn a valuable lesson about respecting each other as team-mates and people.

In the very next episode, Z is cruelly (and stupidly) mocking Bridge over his claims of being psychic. "But we know he's psychic, that's his power!" Yeah, it is, but Z just decides to become a stupid jerk over it for no reason.
Peter is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 05:46 PM #5322
> GreenMystechRanger
JusticeForK

GreenMystechRanger
JusticeForK

Peter wrote: View Post

At least Redbot has arms and legs. I still can't even imagine how Tensou managed to stay upright, let alone be the tech-support voice in the team's base.
I think we even saw him working on Orion's belt (ha) for the ranger keys, and I still don't know how he managed it.

Then again, the most memorable thing he ever did was get mistaken for a suitcase, so I could just be forgetting.
GreenMystechRanger is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 05:50 PM #5323
> Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster

Tensou made the Gosei Ultimate configuration. Tensou accidentally threw a jet engine.

Don't underestimate Tensou.
Zeo Cereal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 05:51 PM #5324
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

Oh, but wait. In SWAT, the kids learn a valuable lesson about respecting each other as team-mates and people.

In the very next episode, Z is cruelly (and stupidly) mocking Bridge over his claims of being psychic. "But we know he's psychic, that's his power!" Yeah, it is, but Z just decides to become a stupid jerk over it for no reason.
Yeah. I think I've entered the dip in quality of SPD that everyone talks about. Its "Super Charge" if you will.

The episodes may be well done in themselves but in the context of the whiole series they make you go "WTF?".
JNTA1234 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 06:32 PM #5325
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

I agree but THAT particular episode (that I can't even remember the name of) was childish.

On a somewhat related note, I've heard the criticism that the SPD rangers are "jerks" to each other and "they learn the same lesson over and over" and I never really agreed with it because 1. I feel the criticism's exaggerated and 2. it's actually pretty realistic. That's how a lot of families are. One day me and my sisters are pissed are at each other, the next day or even in just a few hours, we're cool and even laughing together.

So yeah I wasn't really on board with those criticisms UNTIL I rewatched the SWAT two parter, I have to say as awesome and action packed and well written (within the context of just those two episodes) those episodes were, they were out of left field. Especially since they came immediately after Jack and Sky's ultimate bonding episode (Reflection) it was like a 180. If this earlier in the season maybe but here? Not to mention it was OTT. I mean Z and Syd getting physical with each other? There's even a few momemts where Bridge is portayed as antagonistic towards the other rangers? Really?
While kinda true, I think the point with the contention between the team and even coming after Reflection, is that a little time has passed and you even say, it's a natural thing for even close family to get annoyed and snippy with each other then let it go. And while we may have had a good bonding moment between Jack and Sky, the others hadn't really had much recently so it's not that weird for tensions to have risen and things just boil over. Coupled with the continued battling against Grumm, sometimes such stress can cause people to snap at little things for no real reason even if they know it's stupid.

The 'you must trust in each other' lesson during the SWAT training is a little heavy handed, but the way I looked at it was more that they clearly still cared about each other, it's not like they truly didn't like each other, they were just stuck in a bit of a fit and the training was a good way to snap them out of it and get their heads on straight. Sure, Cruger could've yelled at them for being stupid and it might've worked though not as interesting, Sorta like a kid or someone in the middle of a fit and another person chucks a bucket of cold water on them to shock them, or slap them. The rangers had gotten into their little tiffs that just blew up and then were sorta stuck in it until the training was the shock that got them to quit being stupid. Cause they all cared about each other, respected each other, etc etc. And, while a bit sketchy, pretty sure it's also the last point of any real contention amongst the rangers anyways.
Alitain is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 07:54 PM #5326
> kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

Alitain wrote: View Post

While kinda true, I think the point with the contention between the team and even coming after Reflection, is that a little time has passed and you even say, it's a natural thing for even close family to get annoyed and snippy with each other then let it go.
You're doing the thinking for them. That should be the show's job.

SWAT, like many episodes, was a Sentai episode in the wrong place, throwing off what pacing they developed; they made the Battlizer look bad in functionality, the SWAT gear a tad overpowered in upcoming fights.

For all the good acting and little moments, you start to realize that they amount little to the tapestry. Fans compensate this with lore and nostalgia, but it falls flat when trying to explain the whole thing.
kibapower is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 08:07 PM #5327
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

I'll also say that Wild Force was the last season I rewatched and Taylor, the serious uptight one of that season, had....smoother devlopment than Sky.

Throughout the season she's still occasionally hard assed and irritated by her teammates, cuz she's still Taylor but she does gradually loosen up and develop respect for them. It's not like Sky where sometimes it's like 0 to 100 and then back to 0. Like I said it IS realistic but somerimes a tad over the top.
Old October 11th, 2018, 08:11 PM #5328
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

The spd team are full of jackasses and I love every single bit of it.
mmprfan09 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 10:56 PM #5329
> Agent Z
Power Ranger

Agent Z
Power Ranger

Does anyone feel like it was kind of pointless to set Ninja Storm and Mystic Force in America as opposed to New Zealand? It would have made the Power Rangers feel more global and the actors for those seasons had obvious trouble disguising their accents anyway. Admittedly, I'm not American myself, so maybe that influences this my opinion somewhat.
Agent Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:00 PM #5330
> hasbro_primo
"One day I shall return."

hasbro_primo

Agent Z wrote: View Post

Does anyone feel like it was kind of pointless to set Ninja Storm and Mystic Force in America as opposed to New Zealand? It would have made the Power Rangers feel more global and the actors for those seasons had obvious trouble disguising their accents anyway.
It's odd how obsessed the producers are with the characters being American. Even Overdrive pointedly had Rangers from all over the world, and Benta and Rhoda were still forced to hide their British accents.

I suppose we can all be thankful for Xander and Chase.
hasbro_primo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:09 PM #5331
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Agent Z wrote: View Post

Does anyone feel like it was kind of pointless to set Ninja Storm and Mystic Force in America as opposed to New Zealand?
Nnnnnope.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:13 PM #5332
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

I suppose we can all be thankful for Xander and Chase.
I know I'm very thankful for Xander and Chase.
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:19 PM #5333
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

It's odd how obsessed the producers are with the characters being American.
And when they indicate the state, it's usually California. It's like all the aliens and monsters' favorite hotspot to destroy and conquer.
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:30 PM #5334
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

"Mystic Force" really could've been set in New Zealand. Two thirds of the cast were Kiwis, and the others were all Australian, weren't they? And the Californian setting really didn't make much difference at all.
Old October 12th, 2018, 02:11 AM #5335
> Agent Z
Power Ranger

Agent Z
Power Ranger

And when they indicate the state, it's usually California. It's like all the aliens and monsters' favorite hotspot to destroy and conquer.
You'd think the large amount of Ranger teams in that area would scare them off.
Agent Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 03:35 AM #5336
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Regarding the problems of casting and acting; remember that "Return of the Green Ranger" had Australians living in a British Colonial Angel Grove that's in California, which was a Spanish Colony. (and "The Legend of the Clock Tower" added in Spanish buildings and no one batting an eye that Katie is running around without asking about what her status was...well aside from being from the future) Power Rangers is weird and I can imagine the likes of Briarwood "going along" with it in a comedic sort of way. (heck I joke that Tom Oliver was either a founder or early settler of Briarwood and that's the reason Rita was able to get that job later)
Ataruman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 04:55 AM #5337
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

I agree but THAT particular episode (that I can't even remember the name of) was childish.

On a somewhat related note, I've heard the criticism that the SPD rangers are "jerks" to each other and "they learn the same lesson over and over" and I never really agreed with it because 1. I feel the criticism's exaggerated and 2. it's actually pretty realistic. That's how a lot of families are. One day me and my sisters are pissed are at each other, the next day or even in just a few hours, we're cool and even laughing together.
The SPD Rangers in general we see them always act was "jerks" and seems they always had to learn the same lesson, over and over, seems they are like a Time bomb.
Akumaru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 10:31 AM #5338
> hasbro_primo

hasbro_primo

And the Californian setting really didn't make much difference at all.
Briarwood was never actually confirmed to be California.
hasbro_primo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 11:31 AM #5339
> Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster

"Mystic Force" really could've been set in New Zealand. Two thirds of the cast were Kiwis, and the others were all Australian, weren't they?
Plus, the establishing shots of Briarwood are 'the most NZ' of any series. Not counting the shots in "World Famous in New Zealand", but they are quite simmilar to MF.

Toei even shot Magiranger footage in distinctly NZ locales, for the Magi OP.

Power Rangers had multiple building blocks, and the most we got was "I'm from 'straya, I got teased".
Zeo Cereal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 11:32 AM #5340
> Judge Joker
Repulsive

Judge Joker
Repulsive

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

Power Rangers had multiple building blocks, and the most we got was "I'm from 'straya, I got teased".
That was a bloody good scene though.
Judge Joker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote