Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2018, 05:42 PM #5321
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 28,745
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 28,745



JNTA1234 wrote: View Post

There's even a few momemts where Bridge is portayed as antagonistic towards the other rangers? Really?
Oh, but wait. In SWAT, the kids learn a valuable lesson about respecting each other as team-mates and people.

In the very next episode, Z is cruelly (and stupidly) mocking Bridge over his claims of being psychic. "But we know he's psychic, that's his power!" Yeah, it is, but Z just decides to become a stupid jerk over it for no reason.
Peter is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 05:46 PM #5322
GreenMystechRanger's Avatar
> GreenMystechRanger
JusticeForK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,937
GreenMystechRanger
JusticeForK
GreenMystechRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,937



Peter wrote: View Post

At least Redbot has arms and legs. I still can't even imagine how Tensou managed to stay upright, let alone be the tech-support voice in the team's base.
I think we even saw him working on Orion's belt (ha) for the ranger keys, and I still don't know how he managed it.

Then again, the most memorable thing he ever did was get mistaken for a suitcase, so I could just be forgetting.
GreenMystechRanger is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 05:50 PM #5323
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
> Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,999
Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,999



Tensou made the Gosei Ultimate configuration. Tensou accidentally threw a jet engine.

Don't underestimate Tensou.
Zeo Cereal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 05:51 PM #5324
JNTA1234's Avatar
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,878
JNTA1234
Power Ranger
JNTA1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,878



Peter wrote: View Post

Oh, but wait. In SWAT, the kids learn a valuable lesson about respecting each other as team-mates and people.

In the very next episode, Z is cruelly (and stupidly) mocking Bridge over his claims of being psychic. "But we know he's psychic, that's his power!" Yeah, it is, but Z just decides to become a stupid jerk over it for no reason.
Yeah. I think I've entered the dip in quality of SPD that everyone talks about. Its "Super Charge" if you will.

The episodes may be well done in themselves but in the context of the whiole series they make you go "WTF?".
JNTA1234 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 06:32 PM #5325
Alitain's Avatar
> Alitain
God of Benevolence
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,886
Alitain
God of Benevolence
Alitain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,886



JNTA1234 wrote: View Post

I agree but THAT particular episode (that I can't even remember the name of) was childish.

On a somewhat related note, I've heard the criticism that the SPD rangers are "jerks" to each other and "they learn the same lesson over and over" and I never really agreed with it because 1. I feel the criticism's exaggerated and 2. it's actually pretty realistic. That's how a lot of families are. One day me and my sisters are pissed are at each other, the next day or even in just a few hours, we're cool and even laughing together.

So yeah I wasn't really on board with those criticisms UNTIL I rewatched the SWAT two parter, I have to say as awesome and action packed and well written (within the context of just those two episodes) those episodes were, they were out of left field. Especially since they came immediately after Jack and Sky's ultimate bonding episode (Reflection) it was like a 180. If this earlier in the season maybe but here? Not to mention it was OTT. I mean Z and Syd getting physical with each other? There's even a few momemts where Bridge is portayed as antagonistic towards the other rangers? Really?
While kinda true, I think the point with the contention between the team and even coming after Reflection, is that a little time has passed and you even say, it's a natural thing for even close family to get annoyed and snippy with each other then let it go. And while we may have had a good bonding moment between Jack and Sky, the others hadn't really had much recently so it's not that weird for tensions to have risen and things just boil over. Coupled with the continued battling against Grumm, sometimes such stress can cause people to snap at little things for no real reason even if they know it's stupid.

The 'you must trust in each other' lesson during the SWAT training is a little heavy handed, but the way I looked at it was more that they clearly still cared about each other, it's not like they truly didn't like each other, they were just stuck in a bit of a fit and the training was a good way to snap them out of it and get their heads on straight. Sure, Cruger could've yelled at them for being stupid and it might've worked though not as interesting, Sorta like a kid or someone in the middle of a fit and another person chucks a bucket of cold water on them to shock them, or slap them. The rangers had gotten into their little tiffs that just blew up and then were sorta stuck in it until the training was the shock that got them to quit being stupid. Cause they all cared about each other, respected each other, etc etc. And, while a bit sketchy, pretty sure it's also the last point of any real contention amongst the rangers anyways.
Alitain is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 07:54 PM #5326
kibapower's Avatar
> kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,949
kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!
kibapower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,949



Alitain wrote: View Post

While kinda true, I think the point with the contention between the team and even coming after Reflection, is that a little time has passed and you even say, it's a natural thing for even close family to get annoyed and snippy with each other then let it go.
.
You're doing the thinking for them. That should be the show's job.

SWAT, like many episodes, was a Sentai episode in the wrong place, throwing off what pacing they developed; they made the Battlizer look bad in functionality, the SWAT gear a tad overpowered in upcoming fights.


For all the good acting and little moments, you start to realize that they amount little to the tapestry. Fans compensate this with lore and nostalgia, but it falls flat when trying to explain the whole thing.
kibapower is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 08:07 PM #5327
JNTA1234's Avatar
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,878
JNTA1234
Power Ranger
JNTA1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,878



I'll also say that Wild Force was the last season I rewatched and Taylor, the serious uptight one of that season, had....smoother devlopment than Sky.

Throughout the season she's still occasionally hard assed and irritated by her teammates, cuz she's still Taylor but she does gradually loosen up and develop respect for them. It's not like Sky where sometimes it's like 0 to 100 and then back to 0. Like I said it IS realistic but somerimes a tad over the top.
JNTA1234 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 08:11 PM #5328
mmprfan09's Avatar
> mmprfan09
One In A Million
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,755
mmprfan09
One In A Million
mmprfan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,755



The spd team are full of jackasses and I love every single bit of it.
mmprfan09 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 10:56 PM #5329
Agent Z's Avatar
> Agent Z
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 669
Agent Z
Power Ranger
Agent Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 669



Does anyone feel like it was kind of pointless to set Ninja Storm and Mystic Force in America as opposed to New Zealand? It would have made the Power Rangers feel more global and the actors for those seasons had obvious trouble disguising their accents anyway. Admittedly, I'm not American myself, so maybe that influences this my opinion somewhat.
Agent Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:00 PM #5330
> hasbro_primo
"One day I shall return."
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 74,055
hasbro_primo
"One day I shall return."
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 74,055



Agent Z wrote: View Post

Does anyone feel like it was kind of pointless to set Ninja Storm and Mystic Force in America as opposed to New Zealand? It would have made the Power Rangers feel more global and the actors for those seasons had obvious trouble disguising their accents anyway.
It's odd how obsessed the producers are with the characters being American. Even Overdrive pointedly had Rangers from all over the world, and Benta and Rhoda were still forced to hide their British accents.

I suppose we can all be thankful for Xander and Chase.
hasbro_primo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:09 PM #5331
Storm Eagle's Avatar
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,000
Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru
Storm Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,000



Agent Z wrote: View Post

Does anyone feel like it was kind of pointless to set Ninja Storm and Mystic Force in America as opposed to New Zealand?
Nnnnnope.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:13 PM #5332
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 28,745
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 28,745



hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

I suppose we can all be thankful for Xander and Chase.
I know I'm very thankful for Xander and Chase.
Peter is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:19 PM #5333
JNTA1234's Avatar
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,878
JNTA1234
Power Ranger
JNTA1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,878



hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

It's odd how obsessed the producers are with the characters being American.
And when they indicate the state, it's usually California. It's like all the aliens and monsters' favorite hotspot to destroy and conquer.
JNTA1234 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:30 PM #5334
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 28,745
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 28,745



"Mystic Force" really could've been set in New Zealand. Two thirds of the cast were Kiwis, and the others were all Australian, weren't they? And the Californian setting really didn't make much difference at all.
Peter is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 02:11 AM #5335
Agent Z's Avatar
> Agent Z
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 669
Agent Z
Power Ranger
Agent Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 669



JNTA1234 wrote: View Post

And when they indicate the state, it's usually California. It's like all the aliens and monsters' favorite hotspot to destroy and conquer.
You'd think the large amount of Ranger teams in that area would scare them off.
Agent Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 03:35 AM #5336
Ataruman's Avatar
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,488
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger
Ataruman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,488



Regarding the problems of casting and acting; remember that "Return of the Green Ranger" had Australians living in a British Colonial Angel Grove that's in California, which was a Spanish Colony. (and "The Legend of the Clock Tower" added in Spanish buildings and no one batting an eye that Katie is running around without asking about what her status was...well aside from being from the future) Power Rangers is weird and I can imagine the likes of Briarwood "going along" with it in a comedic sort of way. (heck I joke that Tom Oliver was either a founder or early settler of Briarwood and that's the reason Rita was able to get that job later)
Ataruman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 04:55 AM #5337
Akumaru's Avatar
> Akumaru
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,127
Akumaru
Power Ranger
Akumaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,127



JNTA1234 wrote: View Post

I agree but THAT particular episode (that I can't even remember the name of) was childish.

On a somewhat related note, I've heard the criticism that the SPD rangers are "jerks" to each other and "they learn the same lesson over and over" and I never really agreed with it because 1. I feel the criticism's exaggerated and 2. it's actually pretty realistic. That's how a lot of families are. One day me and my sisters are pissed are at each other, the next day or even in just a few hours, we're cool and even laughing together.
The SPD Rangers in general we see them always act was "jerks" and seems they always had to learn the same lesson, over and over, seems they are like a Time bomb.
Akumaru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 10:31 AM #5338
> hasbro_primo
"One day I shall return."
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 74,055
hasbro_primo
"One day I shall return."
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 74,055



Peter wrote: View Post

And the Californian setting really didn't make much difference at all.
Briarwood was never actually confirmed to be California.
hasbro_primo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 11:31 AM #5339
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
> Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,999
Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,999



Peter wrote: View Post

"Mystic Force" really could've been set in New Zealand. Two thirds of the cast were Kiwis, and the others were all Australian, weren't they?
Plus, the establishing shots of Briarwood are 'the most NZ' of any series. Not counting the shots in "World Famous in New Zealand", but they are quite simmilar to MF.

Toei even shot Magiranger footage in distinctly NZ locales, for the Magi OP.

Power Rangers had multiple building blocks, and the most we got was "I'm from 'straya, I got teased".
Zeo Cereal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 11:32 AM #5340
Judge Joker's Avatar
> Judge Joker
Repulsive
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,626
4
Judge Joker
Repulsive
Judge Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,626
4



Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

Power Rangers had multiple building blocks, and the most we got was "I'm from 'straya, I got teased".
That was a bloody good scene though.
Judge Joker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (2)
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.