RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old November 13th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #3961
Dragonwolf Ranger
Waterbending Master

megagao wrote: View Post

so i just found out that the anime The Slayers was just released early this year on BLURAY!!...in spain...wtf??

has there been anyword on this hilarious anime getting the bluray treatment for release in the states?
Seasons 4 and 5 are on blu-ray
Dragonwolf Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 12:18 PM   #3962
Olorin Ranger
Uchikata Hajime

It is nice to finally see Space Battleship Yamato 2199 strreaming in the US. Funimation has the dub and Crunchyroll subbed. Better late than never.
Olorin Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 12:25 PM   #3963
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Alitain wrote: View Post

That's a bit annoying. I saw this was coming out tomorrow, and sounded like a nice movie so was going to pick it up. But if they're saying a longer one is coming out I wonder if I should bother. Then again, the movie seems to be about two hours long as it is. And only $12, which is actually surprising, so maybe it wont matter.
Well, it's a fact that there are more animated films with a run time over two hours in Japan than anywhere in the world.
AdrenalineRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 07:25 AM   #3964
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
Dragonwolf Ranger wrote: View Post

Seasons 4 and 5 are on blu-ray
yea i have those, i forgot to mention i was referring to the first three seasons of the show.
megagao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 04:05 PM   #3965
BlueSenshi
Balance is EVERYTHING!

I'm thinking of trying Bleach (no, not the cleaning product). Although seeing it's got 11 seasons on crunchyroll is a little overwhelming, thankfully not the same amount of Naruto which has 700+ episodes.

What's everyone's opinion on it?
BlueSenshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #3966
Virus
Power Ranger

BlueSenshi wrote: View Post

I'm thinking of trying Bleach (no, not the cleaning product). Although seeing it's got 11 seasons on crunchyroll is a little overwhelming, thankfully not the same amount of Naruto which has 700+ episodes.

What's everyone's opinion on it?
Its pretty good, until the final fight with Aizen. Then it drags its ass with filler.
Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #3967
BlueSenshi
Balance is EVERYTHING!

is the show mainly filler?
BlueSenshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #3968
Virus
Power Ranger

BlueSenshi wrote: View Post

is the show mainly filler?
Yeah, there is quite a bit of filler in Bleach, but not all of it. After the Hueco Mundo part, thats all thats left really. And it does drag a bit, even when compared to DBZ.
Old November 14th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #3969
tasti man LH
Just One Life

Also Bleach is known for having a very rocky development. Especially with the manga, which in turn affected the anime.
tasti man LH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #3970
Virus
Power Ranger

tasti man LH wrote: View Post

Also Bleach is known for having a very rocky development. Especially with the manga, which in turn affected the anime.
And they didn't even adapt the end of the manga to anime.
Old November 26th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #3971
Allio
Power Ranger

So my niece finally watched some anime with me (so her first exposure) a little difficult for her to keep up with the subs, but she didn't really seem to mind (granted she seemed tired so she was probably just gazing.)

She watched Dragon Ball Super, seemed to have a hard time keeping up. Then we watch the first two episodes of Sweetness and Lightning. Seemed to like it.
Allio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 05:53 AM   #3972
Con Air on VHS
My body is falling apart!

So recently I decided to watch Gundam. Chronologically. I thought I owed it to myself to experience it given how much my other anime watching friends talk about it.

The first series was great, despite it's incredibly dodgy animation. In fact I gave it a 9/10. I was expecting to go in and be put off by the way it looks, and well, it is badly done, but the show is more than compelling enough to keep you watching without good animation.

Zeta was great too, although the first half was definitely weaker and I feel that it struggled to put across the themes it was working with. I don't really like the Zeta Gundam itself, but the MK2 is sexy as hell so I guess that's an okay consolation.

ZZ was bad. I didn't care about any of the characters, none of them got any development, and it made most of the villains bad comic relief characters. Coming off of Zeta's ending the sudden change in tone to a wacky comedy is incredibly bad. The ZZ has a cool head but everything else looks pretty bad, the gimmick of it being three different vehicles really stopped them from using it that much.

CCA was okay, but they really needed to cut down the screen time given to the side characters. This was meant to be Amuro's big return after his small part in Zeta but new characters get more time than he does. The NU Gundam is pretty great at least.

War in the Pocket was fantastic. I don't really know what else to say. For me it was the first series to match the first.

And then we have F91. F91 is a god-damn train wreck. I had no idea what was happening in the last half of this film. Characters jump around from place to place at random, characters defect off-screen, people randomly drop dead for no reason! And the film ends with Darth Vader attacking our main characters in a giant space bell pepper. It's baffling in a way only Tomino can be responsible for, but not in a fun way. Entirely skippable unless you want to be a completionist.
Con Air on VHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 03:12 PM   #3973
Virus
Power Ranger

Con Air on VHS wrote: View Post

So recently I decided to watch Gundam. Chronologically. I thought I owed it to myself to experience it given how much my other anime watching friends talk about it.

And then we have F91. F91 is a god-damn train wreck. I had no idea what was happening in the last half of this film. Characters jump around from place to place at random, characters defect off-screen, people randomly drop dead for no reason! And the film ends with Darth Vader attacking our main characters in a giant space bell pepper. It's baffling in a way only Tomino can be responsible for, but not in a fun way. Entirely skippable unless you want to be a completionist.
The movie trilogy is a little better with the animation.

And reason F91 was ended up a mess is because it was meant to be a series. At the time, Tomino was having issues with Bandai and Sunrise over the series and the issues ended up forces what would have been several episodes into a movie. The issues also affected Victory Gundam as well and was why Tomino would have no involvement with the series until Turn A Gundam.
Old November 27th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #3974
Con Air on VHS
My body is falling apart!

Virus wrote: View Post

The movie trilogy is a little better with the animation.

And reason F91 was ended up a mess is because it was meant to be a series. At the time, Tomino was having issues with Bandai and Sunrise over the series and the issues ended up forces what would have been several episodes into a movie. The issues also affected Victory Gundam as well and was why Tomino would have no involvement with the series until Turn A Gundam.
I knew about the movie trilogy but wanted to experience the original series in full. I've never been a fan of compilation movies personally.
Con Air on VHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #3975
Virus
Power Ranger

I knew about the movie trilogy but wanted to experience the original series in full. I've never been a fan of compilation movies personally.
Its a mixed bag, but it doesn't drag all that much and you do get a full experience. You'll have to watch it to see which is better.
Old November 28th, 2017, 01:34 AM   #3976
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

For the record, Gundam has its own dedicated thread.

War in the Pocket was fantastic. I don't really know what else to say. For me it was the first series to match the first.
0080 was fucking perfect.

That captured the senselessness of war better than any other Gundam ever.
Ankh Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 08:27 AM   #3977
leolim
Power Ranger

0080 is one of the saddest anime poor Al traumatized by Bernie's death.
leolim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #3978
tasti man LH
Just One Life

So...you know that shiny new anime streaming site HIDIVE I mentioned a while back?

Turns out they now have mobile apps out.

Should be available for both iOS and Android devices. And they've hinted at a PS4 app being in the works. Now I can finally enjoy some Gatchaman on the go!!!
tasti man LH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 04:53 PM   #3979
Virus
Power Ranger

Is this what an acid trip looks like?
Old December 14th, 2017, 03:10 AM   #3980
MerCurryMeme
Verge of Darkness

Mob Psycho 100 is one of my recent forevergirls. I absolutely love it to bits.

Such a good message it upholds and really does things uniquely for the genre it's in in small, nuanced ways. Oh, and don't be intimidated by the artstyle--it gets fucking ARTSY in the best and exotic ways.

Also, 99 is the fucking best OP of it's year. So good. <3 <3
MerCurryMeme is offline   Reply With Quote