Menu

Closed

Old April 8th, 2019, 03:41 PM #6281
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Digifiend wrote: View Post

The video also discusses GOTG, Fantastic Four, and new Loki and Punisher books. Here's the solicit for FF.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/04...oneymoon-july/

The Future Foundation bit wasn't mentioned in the video. How long until they meet GIRL?
Ah yes, GIRL, she who leads the dread legions of COOTIES.
Old April 8th, 2019, 04:39 PM #6282
> Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

Another utopian heaven for mutants only this time it's Xavier's idea? Yeah, watch the dream die for the umpteenth time I guess...
The reason the comic book industry is dying. The over pricing and the feeling like we're reading the same things over and over again.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old April 8th, 2019, 04:54 PM #6283
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Mr.Karate wrote: View Post

The reason the comic book industry is dying. The over pricing and the feeling like we're reading the same things over and over again.
Well, when your characters are stuck in a perpetual second act, never allowed to see an actual ending, there's only so much you can do before the larger story beats become familiar.
Old April 8th, 2019, 05:09 PM #6284
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Mr.Karate wrote: View Post

Over pricing how much do you think the comic book company is seeing? Diamond sells the books. So they'll need a cut. As someone who worked in a comic book store I can tell you we weren't paying cover price. We paid anyway from 50-75% for the book. That would depend on the company and the volume we bought. We bought just enough books to cover our costumers and have a couple on the shelves. Successful companies that buy larger volume would pay less for the wholesale price.

So Diamond has to have a cut. If we're getting 50% off a book how much are they getting? I have no idea because I didn't work with diamond so I would never see their books.

Now for the companies themselves. They have to pay for creation of the books. Which can range depending on deals. I've seen high end artist charging 3k for a page. Low end 500-1k for page. Do the maths. 3k that can be nearly 100k just for the pages. Those often be the full work though. still you could see a book costing around 100k anyway if you do have others working on it. As you have to pay them as well. Plus there is marketing of the book.

So when you're already looking at something like having to sell 100k+ books in a dying industry. It is really hard to pull out the profits. Big titles sell no matter what. When they try new things it fails. Fans complain about not getting new things but no one buys it. Fans complain when they get new things and no one buys it. It is dying cycle that will be the end of the industry as we know it.

Price parody laws force them to charge as much as the physical release and this is making things worst. So digital is going to fail as long as there is a physical copy.
Old April 8th, 2019, 05:37 PM #6285
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

GetTheeToABrewery wrote: View Post

Ah yes, GIRL, she who leads the dread legions of COOTIES.
Huh? I was talking about Whitley's Unstoppable Wasp series - Nadia has a teen girl scientist team called GIRL.
Old April 8th, 2019, 06:16 PM #6286
> Adara.2
Power Ranger

Adara.2
Power Ranger

Virus wrote: View Post

Forget Ric Grayson
https://i-cdn.embed.ly/1/display?key...UwXgAAe2td.jpg
Its now Pimp Grayson
If they want to "modernize" Barbara, might as well make her down for polygamy. Or make her bisexual. There is A LOT of material.
Old April 8th, 2019, 06:41 PM #6287
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

GetTheeToABrewery wrote: View Post

Well, when your characters are stuck in a perpetual second act, never allowed to see an actual ending, there's only so much you can do before the larger story beats become familiar.
Eh, that's not entirely true. Many get a final act. Problem is that they usually get resurrected, repowered, end their vacation, etc etc and start back up with the hero work when the writers feel like it or they get bored, or people keep asking about it.

It is a hard thing though. While I think there would be benefit to actually giving a beginning, middle, and end to these stories, allowing sidekicks to grow into successors or new heroes, all that. It might also cause companies like Marvel and DC to get into a bit of a...typical rut of storytelling regardless. Kind of like how Shonen Jump manga tend to be similar and many fall into a handful of typical tropes. Though I guess in many ways superhero stories are usually already in that rut...but yeah. Hard to say. There are fans who want change and progress, but also fans that get fussy when such things happen, especially if they don't like the change.

I mean hell, look at the response people had to a simple storyline like Hydra Cap? It was ridiculous for people to flip out that much right from the start without at least seeing how it was going to end. But yeah, that's how it goes. I mean obviously you wont always please everyone with a story. Fans of the Animorphs books ended up divided over the finale. But still, at least basically a story was told. I'm definitely in the camp of wishing for a complete story. Even comics like ASM now are just...not as exciting. On the fence of dropping a few of my series. But I don't want to see the comic industry collapse.

Last edited by Alitain; April 8th, 2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old April 8th, 2019, 07:55 PM #6288
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Huh? I was talking about Whitley's Unstoppable Wasp series - Nadia has a teen girl scientist team called GIRL.
I know, but the COOTIES joke was too good for me to pass up.
Closed