Home Menu

Menu

Old January 11th, 2019, 02:51 PM #1
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Coming 2 America (August 7th, 2020)

Paramount Pictures is setting Craig Brewer to direct Coming To America 2, finally bringing to the starting gate the sequel to the 1988 blockbuster comedy. Eddie Murphy is poised to reprise his role as Akeem, the pampered African prince who became bored of potential marriage partners in the kingdom too in awe of him, and who traveled to Queens to go undercover and find a woman with a strong will that he could respect.

RelatedEddie Murphy Playing 'Dolemite' Star Rudy Ray Moore In Netflix Pic
Brewer just directed Murphy in Dolemite Is My Name, and the star was eager to work with him again. The female empowerment theme of the original seems timely in today’s climate.

Kenya Barris is rewriting a script by original Coming to America writers Barry Blaustein and David Sheffield. Murphy is producing with Kevin Misher and Barris is exec producer.

In the sequel, Akeem learns about a long lost son, and must return to America to meet his unlikely heir to the throne of Zamunda. The intention is to bring back the original cast which includes Arsenio Hall, who played the prince’s aide Semmi; Shari Headley, who was courted by the prince when he went undercover as a fast food worker; John Amos, who played her father; and James Earl Jones, who played the king.

There is no start date, but the hope is that production begins in 2019.

“After many years of anticipation, I’m thrilled that Coming to America 2 is officially moving forward,” Murphy said in a statement. “We’ve assembled a great team that will be led by Craig Brewer, who just did an amazing job on Dolemite, and I’m looking forward to bringing all these classic and beloved characters back to the big screen.”

Said Kenya Barris: “Craig’s ability to create a distinct cinematic world with each of his films is not only impressive, but also what made him exactly the voice and vision we needed to bring this story to life. From Hustle and Flow to his work with Eddie on Dolemite Is My Name, he never fails to blow me away. He is a true auteur and we couldn’t be more thrilled to have him on board.”

My Name Is Dolemite is wrapped, with script by Scott Alexander & Larry Karaszewski, and Murphy playing the self-made blaxploitation film star alongside Wesley Snipes, Keegan-Michael Key, Chris Rock, Craig Robinson and T.I. The picture will be released by Netflix.

Brewer is repped by WME and attorney Carlos Goodman, and Murphy is WME, ML Management and Ziffren Brittenham’s Matt Johnson and Skip Brittenham; Barris is CAA, Artists First and attorney Gregg Gellman.
https://deadline.com/2019/01/coming-...me-1202533726/

Last edited by Cameron Samurai; February 12th, 2019 at 01:40 AM.
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:57 PM #2
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

Love the first film, but personally not a film that needs a sequel. I guess theyre just touching everything they can
toejammer is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 03:16 PM #3
> The Return Of...
VIP Rider

The Return Of...
VIP Rider

Honestly this doesn't need a sequel. The original is a classic
The Return Of... is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 04:51 PM #4
> Salvy_Mic
Power Ranger

Salvy_Mic
Power Ranger

That whole bit about a long lost son just seems kind of trite. It implies Akeem was "sowing his Royal Oats" on top of wooing Lisa. However, it then defeats the whole purpose of why Akeem was in America in the first place and is pretty out of character for him.

I would have just had a plot revolving around one of Akeem's heirs come to America to attend university for some of the same reasons as Akeem came.

A sequel isn't necessary, but I don't mind it. The Creed movies are practically direct sequels to Rocky IV and didn't technically need to happen either.
Salvy_Mic is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 05:00 PM #5
> AkaGreenPrimo
Lava and War

AkaGreenPrimo
Lava and War

Arsenio mentioned on The Talk's Halloween show last year that this was on the horizon, but I'm surprised just how accurate he was.

toejammer wrote: View Post

Love the first film, but personally not a film that needs a sequel. I guess theyre just touching everything they can
The Return Of... wrote: View Post

Honestly this doesn't need a sequel. The original is a classic
In this case, there has apparently been consistent urging from the public for it, especially when the whole revival wave began.
AkaGreenPrimo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 05:21 PM #6
> Salvy_Mic
Power Ranger

Salvy_Mic
Power Ranger

AkaGreenPrimo wrote: View Post

Arsenio mentioned on The Talk's Halloween show last year that this was on the horizon, but I'm surprised just how accurate he was.

In this case, there has apparently been consistent urging from the public for it, especially when the whole revival wave began.
I still want my sequel to Commando, with Arnold and Alyssa Milano reprising their roles.
Salvy_Mic is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 05:59 PM #7
> Truncated Power Rangers
Alexa, play Desperado.

Truncated Power Rangers
Alexa, play Desperado.

I have embarrassingly never seen the original, but Eddie Murphy never really worked for me as a comic presence.

This has nothing to do with how poorly his stand-up specials may have aged. I just never liked his movies. 48 Hrs., Beverly Hills Cop ... hell, as a kid, I even saw Holy Man. Nothing.

I find his version of The Nutty Professor funnier than the original, though.
Truncated Power Rangers is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:25 PM #8
> RockyDeSantos
Power Ranger

RockyDeSantos
Power Ranger

Salvy_Mic wrote: View Post

That whole bit about a long lost son just seems kind of trite. It implies Akeem was "sowing his Royal Oats" on top of wooing Lisa. However, it then defeats the whole purpose of why Akeem was in America in the first place and is pretty out of character for him.

I would have just had a plot revolving around one of Akeem's heirs come to America to attend university for some of the same reasons as Akeem came.

A sequel isn't necessary, but I don't mind it. The Creed movies are practically direct sequels to Rocky IV and didn't technically need to happen either.
The only way I see the plot of this movie working is if Akeem and Lisa got divorced and Lisa moved back to Queens only to discover she was pregnant and decided not to tell Akeem about the baby.
RockyDeSantos is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:19 PM #9
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

I like the original but I'm not really sure about this, TBH.
AdrenalineRush is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 01:39 AM #10
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Release date announced: Aug. 7, 2020.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/eddie-m...te-1202554776/
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote