Menu

Old September 14th, 2018, 12:46 AM #41
> IMTIRED
Power Ranger fan on Kauai

IMTIRED

Let the PRLG "Hump Day" begin.

The Lights of Orion

Yes, I've been dreading it. We all knew it was coming. The story-arc that derails and the heightened new production back to taking bizarre and illogical turns to match Sentai footage. I think this saga did PRLG a lot of harm when it was new. The episodes were confusing. That said--I'll live in the moment and do my best to take a fresh perspective on tonight's episode.

It's nice to see Trakeena getting into the game.

What does the crystal in Furio's hand have to do with the Lights of Orion?

So someone who was "chosen" can enter this cave. Chosen for what? Someone who was chosen by a Quasar Saber? So yeah...how did this magical sealed entrance cave come to exist on Terra Venture?

Trakeena's walk is...dayum.

Trakeena truly is an impressive character design--in all of her forms.

Amazing song thank you Jeremy Sweet.

Kind of a bummer the girls come to investigate and end up needing to be rescued by the chauvinism cycles.

Astro Cycles sounds like a name left over from Power Rangers in Space.

Trakeena's eyes in the warrior suit are unreal.

Mike's looking well.

Why did Leo just power down as he finds the location of Mike and the baddies?

Reggie is lacking comedic timing or something. He's not quite pulling off his lines convincingly. It could have been a cute decoy bit.

Mike sure doesn't seem very excited to see his Leo. Maybe it's his POW treatment?

Way to go Kai throwing himself on to Furio to help Mike and Leo scape.

OK we are meant to infer that the crystal will open the cave with the Lights of Orion in it if held by someone who is "chosen".

Something's fishy but I can understand Leo just wanting to have his brother back.

Ah, "the cave". A historic Power Rangers landmark I used to play in.

What a weird series of events and no Sentai to blame. Cutting open a modern looking cage. Then an old looking chest. Then a very modern case.

I mean it's obviously not Mike.

...And the box is empty. So who did that?

Oh wow Scorpius is like tentacling Furio to death.

Mmm cookie dough.

Kai did just go all Billy on us describing cookie dough.

Kendrix really did seem to want Leo.

Awkward ending.

Overall not nearly as bad as I thought it would be and I'm sorry I came into it with a negative attitude because it held me back from enjoying the episode as I kept waiting for it to get ridiculous.

I'm already anticipating "I love you Johnny. I always have, and I always will".
IMTIRED is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 01:01 AM #42
> big smile
Power Ranger

big smile
Power Ranger

I've never understood why PR fans dislike the Lights arc so much. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remembering it being quite engaging thanks to all the conflicts (Magna Defender vs the Rangers, Leo's suspicions about Mike, the backstabbing going on with the monsters).

Is the dislike just because it doesn't make sense why the Lights would be on Terra Venture? Because nearly everything in PRLG is based on coincidence, so having to stomach another one doesn't seem like a big deal.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old September 14th, 2018, 07:38 AM #43
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

big smile wrote: View Post

I've never understood why PR fans dislike the Lights arc so much. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remembering it being quite engaging thanks to all the conflicts (Magna Defender vs the Rangers, Leo's suspicions about Mike, the backstabbing going on with the monsters).

Is the dislike just because it doesn't make sense why the Lights would be on Terra Venture? Because nearly everything in PRLG is based on coincidence, so having to stomach another one doesn't seem like a big deal.
I donít dislike the lights arc itís just sooo dumb. The Magna Defender stuff is solid though. And Double Duty is one of my favorite standalone episodes (even though a film reward show on a space colony makes no sense)

But to me thereís coincidences like oh the trans daggers just so happen to work in conjunction with the Galactic Beast who just so happen to match the motif of their respected Ranger partner.

And then thereís gaping plot holes like ancient mystical lights on a space colony that was only recently manmade
PineapplePizza is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old September 14th, 2018, 08:11 AM #44
> J_S_P
Karate and Friendship

J_S_P
Karate and Friendship

The problems with the arc go beyond just "why would they be here"; it's just overall very disjointed as it goes on. Every episode just rolls in with someone shouting "of course! the lights of orion are in this random cave/inside of this random object/over here somewhere", with no explanation of why or how they know this, and then the episode ends with "oh i guess they weren't there. sucks." The show gets stuck in a holding pattern of the same vague story being told and retold. And then in the end, the Magna Defender gets the lights...and they just choose the rangers instead. So like what was the point of all this?

Is it unwatchable? Nah! Like the Lost Galaxy arc, the first episode and the last episode are pretty good, and there are fun bits throughout, and all of the Magna stuff is good content. But compared to the more original parts of the season, it's way less interesting and coherent.
J_S_P is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 01:24 PM #45
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

IMTIRED wrote: View Post

The Lights of Orion

So someone who was "chosen" can enter this cave. Chosen for what? Someone who was chosen by a Quasar Saber? So yeah...how did this magical sealed entrance cave come to exist on Terra Venture?
It's never specified if that actually is Terra Venture, given Kendrix and Maya do take the Jet Jammers to get there.

Kind of a bummer the girls come to investigate and end up needing to be rescued by the chauvinism cycles.
And not the last time either.

Astro Cycles sounds like a name left over from Power Rangers in Space.
I get the feeling a lot of this season is just leftovers from Power Rangers in Space.

Didn't the LG toys even say "Let's Rocket!"?

Something's fishy but I can understand Leo just wanting to have his brother back.
Emotion always blinds us to the truth.

...And the box is empty. So who did that?
$64,000 question.

J_S_P wrote: View Post

Every episode just rolls in with someone shouting "of course! the lights of orion are in this random cave/inside of this random object/over here somewhere", with no explanation of why or how they know this, and then the episode ends with "oh i guess they weren't there. sucks."
Exactly. The
"they're in a camera!" and "they're in a statue because we completely assume the Power Rangers are talking in code for no reason!" episodes are just painful Team Rocket-esque explanations for storylines.

And then in the end, the Magna Defender gets the lights...and they just choose the rangers instead. So like what was the point of all this?
That made sense, though. Everyone was on a quest for a weapon they felt they could control, the Power Rangers just wanted peace. And I doubt the Lights were ready to choose the Rangers until
they decided to destroy them for everyone's safety, proving they were the only ones who deserved the power.
AkaGreenPrimo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 02:29 PM #46
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

It's never specified if that actually is Terra Venture, given Kendrix and Maya do take the Jet Jammers to get there.
They show them entering the mountain dome, yo

Like they go out of their way to establish theyíre still on Terra Venture. Even if they werenít on terra venture the box was empty and the lights are still found on Terra Venture

?

That made sense, though. Everyone was on a quest for a weapon they felt they could control, the Power Rangers just wanted peace. And I doubt the Lights were ready to choose the Rangers until
they decided to destroy them for everyone's safety, proving they were the only ones who deserved the power.
If the lights have enough sentience to be picky why let Destruxto use their powers in the first place?
Old September 14th, 2018, 02:33 PM #47
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

PineapplePizza wrote: View Post

If the lights have enough sentience to be picky why let Destruxto use their powers in the first place?
They didn't choose until they actually had a choice. No different than a human being.
Old September 14th, 2018, 02:37 PM #48
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

So someone who was "chosen" can enter this cave. Chosen for what? Someone who was chosen by a Quasar Saber?
Judd and Jackie just finished watching Aladdin

Wait until Mean Wheelís Mantis where they become literal trophies for the boys to win

Reggie is lacking comedic timing or something. He's not quite pulling off his lines convincingly. It could have been a cute decoy bit.
We get a much better comic relief Green Ranger actor in Lightspeed.

Kendrix really did seem to want Leo.
Everyone wants Leo
Old September 14th, 2018, 02:43 PM #49
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Everyone wants Leo
Truer words have never been spoken. I do want Leo very much.
GrumpyBookworm is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 04:16 PM #50
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

Everyone wants Leo
Old September 14th, 2018, 04:22 PM #51
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

Surprised this bit has never been put on Youtube to some more sensual music
Old September 15th, 2018, 01:33 PM #52
> IMTIRED

IMTIRED

I'm not going to make redundant statements but I really enjoyed reading the new comments today.
Old September 15th, 2018, 01:45 PM #53
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

I really enjoyed reading the new comments today.
We live to serve.
Old September 15th, 2018, 04:33 PM #54
> Windgrail
Legacy Warnut

Windgrail
Legacy Warnut

See, the part about the ancient Lights being on a new space colony never bothered me, oddly enough.

GSA didn't just create the dirt and the ocean water (or did they.....). I pictured Terra Venture as a colossal museum dedicated to Earth's history (Mountain Dome, Ocean Dome, etc) to carry over to the new world- some new structures and buildings would be newly created from scratch , with other organic structures transported to the colony (yes, even mountains and ocean water). The Lights were eventually found
in the ground, right?

For all we know, a bulldozer could have been scooping up 100's of pound of dirt, and one of those patches just happened to contain a highly-sought power.

That was the logic my 16-year-old self subscribed to.
Windgrail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2018, 05:46 PM #55
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

Windgrail wrote: View Post

That was the logic my 16-year-old self subscribed to.
Perfectly sound rationale, given Lothor's release from the Abyss of Evil.
Old September 16th, 2018, 01:18 AM #56
> IMTIRED

IMTIRED

We live to serve.
More like contribute.

Anyhow tonight it's time to watch Double Duty

My recollection is that this is a corny but poignant episode and Kendrix's only real focus.

Kendrix without glasses! She's just got such a positive spirit about her (with or without glasses).

I think Valerie is more beautiful as Kendrix than Carolyn but that's just my grown-up taste talking.

Carolyn is a beast and her character is so over the top she'd fit more into the Lightspeed Rescue Universe than this one.

I've waited all day to hear this theme song.

Wise Wizard. I will remember his name for once. I'm terrible with names.

For someone with the name "wise" his belief the Lights of Orion could be hidden in "an ordinary camera" really isn't very logical.

I guess I should be pretending and asking "what are the Lights of Orion?"

Damn Kendrix got nailed by Wise Wizard's attack.

I just find the plot device of switching places really juvenile but I guess it's classic.

Isn't "Star Crossed Lovers" the movie the Time Force gang go to see at some point? I never caught that before. Or no. It was the movie the Space Rangers went to see during "A Date With Danger".

Kendrix sure is demonstrating impressive acting ability for a complete non-professional.

Oh man, here it comes. The line. The line. The line. The line.

Valerie plays the scenes speaking with herself (Kendrix & Carolyn together) really well.

Ohh it's Bobby not Johnny. I told you I was bad with names.

The hill Kendrix climbs....this is a familiar Angel Grove spot, mais non?

It's painful watched pained Kendrix run up the hill. And then the whole episode takes on an even more impactful tone when I realize Valerie really did have to stop shooting due to a health problem.

It's a poignant episode but it really has nothing to do with Power Rangers.

Valerie is an impressive actress.

Wise Wizard is wild looking. That outfit!

Kendrix' kitty cat powers. I want explanations. I'm glad she is tearing Wise Wizard a new one. Screw him.

Had we seen the Quasar Launchers before?

Can someone remind me why Pink's Galactazord was so fugly at first but now looks cute like her helmet?

It's interesting Kendrix is alone in her Zord cockpit in the Megazord.

Kendrix rehearsing lines alone is so cute. Kendrix really is one of my favorite Pink Rangers. There's just something about her. Such a supportive bright strong woman.

Basically the episode is worth existing because of how it showcases Valerie's acting ability and her character's incredible admirable perseverance. There was no need to include it in the Lights of Orion arc. Kendrix was absolutely due a focus episode but it's a shame it wasn't something more impactful to the plot, even if it is an enjoyable detour.
Old September 16th, 2018, 08:33 AM #57
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

I guess I should be pretending and asking "what are the Lights of Orion?"
Mystical source of light energy that increases its holders powers. Commonly found in space colonies

I just find the plot device of switching places really juvenile but I guess it's classic.
Itís a trope as old as time and itís not going anywhere

Isn't "Star Crossed Lovers" the movie the Time Force gang go to see at some point? I never caught that before. Or no. It was the movie the Space Rangers went to see during "A Date With Danger".
Yes. It was the movie the Space Rangers saw during A Date with Danger.

Kendrix sure is demonstrating impressive acting ability for a complete non-professional.

It's a poignant episode but it really has nothing to do with Power Rangers.
Eh?

!
Kendrix' kitty cat powers. I want explanations. I'm glad she is tearing Wise Wizard a new one. Screw him.
Her motif is a kitty cat.

No. They just have them.

It's interesting Kendrix is alone in her Zord cockpit in the Megazord
All the Galaxy Rangers have their own cockpit kn the Megazord this season

Basically the episode is worth existing because of how it showcases Valerie's acting ability and her character's incredible admirable perseverance. There was no need to include it in the Lights of Orion arc. Kendrix was absolutely due a focus episode but it's a shame it wasn't something more impactful to the plot, even if it is an enjoyable detour.
Evidently this whole episode was taken straight from Gingaman (though I believe Carolynís counterpart was a tv actress and it was for a tv show not a movie?)

It was in the Lights of Orion arc because it was in the equivalent Gingaman story arc. Not that they had to do that but that is the reason
Old September 16th, 2018, 12:56 PM #58
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

Double Duty

I think Valerie is more beautiful as Kendrix than Carolyn but that's just my grown-up taste talking.
I think it's because glasses suit her face well.

Same for Felicity on Arrow.

Wise Wizard. I will remember his name for once. I'm terrible with names.
I will remember Wisewizard's mouth. I LOVE monsters with moving mouths, it's always hilarious to watch.

Damn Kendrix got nailed by Wise Wizard's attack.
After seeing what he did to the camera, my first thought was "He blew her leg off?!"

A classic named The Prince and the Pauper to be precise.

Some people are naturals.

The title character in White Boy Rick is played by a guy who had never once acted before.

Kendrix' kitty cat powers. I want explanations.
That's how girly Japanese wildcats fight, apparently. >_>

Nope. Like with the Thunder Bikes, we're just supposed to assume they've always been there.

Can someone remind me why Pink's Galactazord was so fugly at first but now looks cute like her helmet?
You've grown accustomed to her face?

Basically the episode is worth existing because of how it showcases Valerie's acting ability and her character's incredible admirable perseverance. There was no need to include it in the Lights of Orion arc.
There really isn't a "Lights of Orion arc". It's five out of eight.
Old September 17th, 2018, 12:37 AM #59
> IMTIRED

IMTIRED

No. They just have them.

Ah I thought I was paying pretty close attention, so thank you for confirming.

I think it's because glasses suit her face well.

I will remember Wisewizard's mouth. I LOVE monsters with moving mouths, it's always hilarious to watch.

After seeing what he did to the camera, my first thought was "He blew her leg off?!"

I also just prefer the more natural makeup they went for with Kendrix.

I love the moving mouths too. They're hilarious but also just that small bit of animation does a lot to sell them as being living creatures.

I lol'ed at your leg comment. Poor Kendrix. This is the first watch through I've ever really paid her enough attention to love her.

Tonight I present "The Blue Crush"

I can't remember much based off the name alone. Is this the one when Kai likes a girl at a rollerskating rink or something? And then it turns out she's getting married? Or did that happen to Danny in Wild Force? Well, only one way to find out...

00:58 yes I am right--skating/daughter/girl episode.

Watching your bosses daughter is so awkward.

Meanwhile another daughter--Trakeena-- is slowly developing a character.

I thought Scorpius was supposed to destroy Furio after his last failed attempt to bring in the Lights of Orion.

Are kids really chick magnets? Single Dads--speak up!

An interesting looking monster. I haven't caught his name yet.

Maya is kind of a badass fighter.

Trans Daggers are kind of lame IMO. Cool features but not cool to look at.

Kai was super motivated to finish that fight.

Kai's silly fantasy segment.

"It's a big colony--you'll probably never see her again" except she clearly knows Jody and is a regular at the skate rink.

Oy the mustard on the sleeve--that's going to stink all day.

Girl Kai likes (awful with names yep) is absolutely gorgeous.

Quakemaker! His name is Quakemaker!

Shake those lights out idiots!

Terra Venture is sustaining some pretty serious damage.

I wonder how earthquakes work on a space colony.

There's Jonny! I knew there was a Johnny.

What a freaking disaster.

Johnny is fine. I love you--I always have and I always will.

She kind of played Kai.

Would it be wrong to say Kai has blue balls?

The Gorilla Galactabeast really does have an oddly shaped head.

I love the Galactabeasts.

I really enjoy the Megazord transformation sequence.

Does the Megazord have a beard or am I lying to myself?

Furio's escape from Scorpius was pretty cool.

Hannah. Now I learn the girl's name.

We don't ever see Hannah again, do we?

All in all I found that to be another quality episode. It might not have progressed the plot all that much but it did advance slightly and give us another side of Kai who really is becoming the most multi-faceted Blue Ranger ever. Another night well spent.

Oh and Hannah didn't play Kai.
Old September 17th, 2018, 10:33 AM #60
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

"The Blue Crush"

I thought Scorpius was supposed to destroy Furio after his last failed attempt to bring in the Lights of Orion.
Good help is so hard to find... on short notice.

Trans Daggers are kind of lame IMO. Cool features but not cool to look at.
Sadly, their most interesting formation is before they even become any weapon.

Quakemaker! His name is Quakemaker!
You can tell because he makes quakes. LOL

The Gorilla Galactabeast really does have an oddly shaped head.
I dare you to say that to its face.

Does the Megazord have a beard or am I lying to myself?
That's definitely chin fur.

We don't ever see Hannah again, do we?
Nope.