Home Menu

Menu

Old September 9th, 2018, 04:20 PM #21
> IMTIRED
Power Ranger fan on Kauai

IMTIRED

Just a head up to anyone interested--I should be back reviewing the next episode tonight. I had a busy week and got addicted to an App called MeetMe but I think I'm coming clean from it now.
IMTIRED is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old September 9th, 2018, 07:05 PM #22
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

[QUOTE=IMTIRED;5637922]
hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

So Maya is beautiful and can hear special animals in pain across the galaxy? I'm down.

Her outfit really was a lot for my pre-pubescentness.
Same here. PR was also bringing the fan-service starting this season
Virus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 12:48 AM #23
> IMTIRED

IMTIRED

I am so ready to delve back into Power Rangers Lost Galaxy after a long week. I know I didn't strictly adhere to the schedule I mentioned in my first post--but I think it's best to let that happen in order to avoid fatigue. I want to want to write this stuff, rather than feel like I'm "supposed to". Anyway that's enough about my psyche--

let's delve into Rookie In Red

I'm only about a minute and a half in but this episode already feels like the proper follow-up to the 2 part premiere. The angsty Leo training sequence is pretty cool. I wanted to yell "First Ranger training sequence!" but then I remembered the Sim-U-Deck.

Rocking Out To Epic Opening Theme

Trans Daggers. How 2018.

Glad to see Leo is enlisting. I'm not sure why Kai looks so shocked. Maybe because I think they're roommates and he never mentioned he was going to do this?

That longing look from Kendrix! Girl has got it bad. And I'm noticing she's seemingly some kind of botanist rather than just "general scientist". She was talking about experimental hybrids episode 1 and now we are in an orchard she's working on.

This episode is also carrying on where the premiere left off when it comes to world building. We are seeing a lot of Terra Venture.

I really think this season was before its time or something. It's so good. I really like the discussion between Kai and Kendrix where she suggests Kai is jealous.

A nice demonstration of Terra Venture's weather system.

Wow a monster broke in and stole the weapons. It's really nice to show that rules can exist for good reason and this is a pretty serious crime.

It's actually a very cool monster.

He (monster) just called the Stingwingers "Stingers".

Man I love their costumes.

Man, I don't love the way they do the Gingaman run. It could have at least just been explained. We know so little about their powers and it's a shame. You have to go all fanony to justify it beyond "because Sentai".

I wanted to cry "really nice transition to Sentai footage"--but then a random huge body of water appeared behind the monster. I know this is just the beginning of "now how the hell did they get that in that dome?".

I don't know how I never noticed what a badass this monster was before.

Kai's guilt over a Ranger lost is consistent with his scene on the moon. I know this shouldn't be something worth mentioning--but as much as I LOVE Power Rangers, I'm well aware of its flaws (particularly in more recent seasons) in strong character building and I just feel like I already know Kai infinitely more than anyone in 2 seasons of Ninja Bore.

Where did they get fake Quasar Sabers? Things are starting to fall apart a bit.

The monster has no hand and then its back.

OH hellz yeah Galactabeast.

Leo you rascal.

I'm actually kind of bummed that Leo decided to quit. I felt like this episode had a good first half and the 2nd half was a lot less compelling. It almost felt like 2 different writers. But I guess that's partially just the formula. At some point, it is going to come down to Sentai footage, monster grows, quick resolve. Nonethless, there's just something about the flavor (for lack of a better word) of Lost Galaxy that I love and feel comforted by. While the stakes are yet to feel insanely high, you can't help but want to see more of these characters, their universe, and the adventures they have in it.
Old September 10th, 2018, 01:34 AM #24
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

IMTIRED wrote: View Post

Rookie In Red

Glad to see Leo is enlisting. I'm not sure why Kai looks so shocked. Maybe because I think they're roommates and he never mentioned he was going to do this?
That and he's so irresponsible that he stowed away, so accepting a role bound by strict rules was completely counter to his personality. Which he proved at the end by quitting.

He (monster) just called the Stingwingers "Stingers".
Stingers are the blade weapons on their hands. They normally have conventional hands until they summon those.

Where did they get fake Quasar Sabers? Things are starting to fall apart a bit.
One of the weirdest explanations for anything in Power Rangers.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old September 10th, 2018, 02:13 AM #25
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Maybe they were made out of chocolate.
Poweranimals is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 04:46 AM #26
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

Man, I don't love the way they do the Gingaman run. It could have at least just been explained. We know so little about their powers and it's a shame. You have to go all fanony to justify it beyond "because Sentai".
Well, they have animal powers, so they run like animals. I quite like the animal running. It gives them (visual) character.
big smile is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 03:17 PM #27
> SnowWolf25
Power Ranger

SnowWolf25
Power Ranger

I always wondered how the rangers knew about the Trans Daggers and at what point decided to take them? Maybe it would've made more sense if the ranger had fond the Galaxy book earlier or gotten it from Mirinoi and came across a page that showed it was part of their power set.
SnowWolf25 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 03:44 PM #28
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

SnowWolf25 wrote: View Post

I always wondered how the rangers knew about the Trans Daggers and at what point decided to take them?
Leo saw them when Horn kidnapped him. When Furio wanted to destroy them as well and Horn rightfully got pissed off, the Rangers just took both.

The real question is how Leo knew
the Transdaggers could give the Galactabeasts more power, and how that power would automatically save them from Gasser's wonderful gas.
Old September 10th, 2018, 04:08 PM #29
> J_S_P
Karate and Friendship

J_S_P
Karate and Friendship

Maya's outfit is pretty bananas. Imagine how out of place she would look in the Neo Saban "let's aim for the youngest audience possible" era. That said, it's also.. kinda slimey, looking back. Was it really neccesary to have Cerina bouncing around in a Sexy Jungle Woman halloween costume? Between Maya, Leo, and Dominatrix Leather Karone, Lost Galaxy may be the franchise's horniest season.
J_S_P is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 04:12 PM #30
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

J_S_P wrote: View Post

Maya's outfit is pretty bananas. Imagine how out of place she would look in the Neo Saban "let's aim for the youngest audience possible" era. That said, it's also.. kinda slimey, looking back. Was it really neccesary to have Cerina bouncing around in a Sexy Jungle Woman halloween costume? .
You’re making her outfit seem a lot worse than it actually is, honestly
PineapplePizza is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 04:25 PM #31
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

PineapplePizza wrote: View Post

You’re making her outfit seem a lot worse than it actually is, honestly
This guy gets it.

That was the fashion choice in that stream of entertainment during those times, just like Renee O'Connor in Xena or Jennifer O'Dell in The Lost World.
Old September 12th, 2018, 01:08 AM #32
> IMTIRED

IMTIRED

Stingers are the blade weapons on their hands. They normally have conventional hands until they summon those.
This honestly did cross my mind and I sold the writers short and decided it was a flaw so I appreciate being educated/corrected.

big smile wrote: View Post

Well, they have animal powers, so they run like animals. I quite like the animal running. It gives them (visual) character.
I just don't feel it has been explained (at least yet) that their powers are in any way connected to animals. All we know is that these powers belonged to warriors 3 thousand years ago or whatever spiel Jara or whatever the elder in Maya's tribe was named was talking about in Quasar Quest Pt 1.

SnowWolf25 wrote: View Post

I always wondered how the rangers knew about the Trans Daggers and at what point decided to take them? Maybe it would've made more sense if the ranger had fond the Galaxy book earlier or gotten it from Mirinoi and came across a page that showed it was part of their power set.
I do like the idea of the Galaxy Book being found earlier. While it was actually an awesome new plot device to launch when it did, I just would have loved a bit more insight into the Ranger Powers and perhaps if they were slowly working to unravel the mystery themselves it would have given Kendrix more to do throughout the season. I feel like she starts so strong but in the long run her only standout episode is that silly one where she replaces an actress. I know Valerie has health issues that probably prevented the character getting the development she deserved and I do think they handled it very well since for once I didn't even notice she was being written off until it happened.

J_S_P wrote: View Post

Maya's outfit is pretty bananas. Imagine how out of place she would look in the Neo Saban "let's aim for the youngest audience possible" era. That said, it's also.. kinda slimey, looking back. Was it really neccesary to have Cerina bouncing around in a Sexy Jungle Woman halloween costume? Between Maya, Leo, and Dominatrix Leather Karone, Lost Galaxy may be the franchise's horniest season.
The season is just visually dazzling. Eye candy all around--both human and FX/visuals.

So I am exhausted and really looking forward to kicking back and watching "Homesick" tonight.

Let's get started.

The opening scene of the sabotage of Terra Venture is very impressively handled for Power Rangers. This new level of quality storytelling and higher budge is thrilling. Were we still non-union at this point?

"If you break it, I've got to fix it"--when did Damon receive the job of Terra Venture mechanic?

If any theme song deserved a 3:30 min edit--it's this one. The song actually tells a story. I'd love a 2nd verse and bridge. Is this still Ron? How amazing would it be if he went back and composed full-length songs from the Power Rangers theme tunes? Take my $$$

Pre 9/11 world seems anyone could just sneak on to Terra Ventura.

I always found this concept of a child potentially never seeing his mother again under these circumstances genuinely heart-wrenching. Ironically now I'm about a galaxy removed from my own family.

I want to own every PR background music, FX, instrumentals--all PR sounds ever--I want them.

If anyone should be missing his family--it's Damon. He literally got dragged into this situation and had no chance to plan or digest the decision to leave his home planet.

Man those aerial sprawling shots of Tokyo are mind-blowing. Just the endless city. Fantastic it all fits under a dome

I just noticed they maintained the PRiS communicator sound. Makes sense since their communication is probably developed by Alpha.

I wouldn't have minded a bit more Alpha in this series. But I understand their choices of acknowledging the past/legacy without dwelling in it during LG. It still might have been fun to see him out and about exploring Terra Venture a bit. He could run into Bulk and Prof Phenomenous or something. It wouldn't have fit the series at all--nevermind.

I love their morphers by the way. These are sleek and efficient. And we know where they are rather than some of those mysterious "uh it came from the morphin grid" morphers. AND they remind me of the OG communicators. I'm fanboying for Lost Galaxy.

"It's coming this way"--guy just stands there and gets asphyxiated.

Matthew, you've ripped your suit. I keep thinking of Shorty in Scary Movie. "Run B*tch!!!".

That said--this gas is scary and a pretty clever tactic for an attack on a domed city.

Sometimes I do wish PR did wounds more often like Sentai. I mean so many people just clobbered their heads passing out from the gas.

Matthew is possibly the most interesting one-off kid character ever. You just get this sense there's some more backstory their. (Pretends I have never seen the series before) If he gets stuck on Terra Venture forever, he seems like a potential future Power Ranger candidate. He's cooler than freaking Sam.

OOh this part in the elevator is in a building in downtown Los Angeles. I think it used to be the Westin. I remember going there once and being like "this looks familiar". It was fun growing up in LA and occasionally coming across PR shooting locations by accident.

Something about Furio and Stingwingers taking the elevator is surprising and silly.

Love me some Jet Jammers. LOVE. They look fun AF.

This Alpha is such a ham. Less [I]was[/I] more.

Wasn't there a game on FoxKids.com or something where you piloted a Jet Jammer?

Honestly I did just chuckle seeing the underside of the Red Galactabeast as he leapt into action--but I love their rubberiness. They're so...Dark Crystal. Nothing else like them in Power Rangers.

Not to sound like Brody (even if he's my partial namesake) but the shots of the gargoylized-Galactabeasts are epic.

I find it extremely confusing that the Trans Daggers make the Galactabeasts disappear and then Leo is just on the red one saying "now they're even more powerful." Like, I don't find it random he used the Trans Daggers to try and help them because---why the heck not? But the disappearance felt weird.

Oh yeah--Leo just randomly knowing to transform them is kind of random but Power Rangers always know how to pilot Zords.

I love that they took a while to have them evolve to their Zord-form rather than just throwing it all at us in one introductory episode. Kudos.

New forms are awesome. Those Zords are cute.

I forgot their Megazord has a beard and it is very interesting.

Wow they just wasted Gasser instantly. It would have been nice to have seen the Megazord a bit more clearly. I'm all for posey, close-up introductory shots of Zords and monsters. Show off that craftsmanship.

Kendrix/Valerie just has the most beautiful aura.

And I'm dumb. I should have remembered the Power Rangers have a spaceship and can go back to Earth at any time. For all we know, Damon is having dinner with his family daily.

That was a really good episode. It has emotional content, high stakes, a decent Zord debut. I felt engrossed and invested. That was a welcome reprieve from reality.
Old September 12th, 2018, 05:02 AM #33
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

The opening scene of the sabotage of Terra Venture is very impressively handled for Power Rangers. This new level of quality storytelling and higher budge is thrilling. Were we still non-union at this point?
They went union midway through In Space up until they moved production to New Zealand

I think?

"If you break it, I've got to fix it"--when did Damon receive the job of Terra Venture mechanic?
Was he not always the mechanic? I think even the Astro Megaship museum was on Terra Venture?

I want to own every PR background music, FX, instrumentals--all PR sounds ever--I want them.
The score for In Space and Lost Galaxy is so good. Wish I could find them

If anyone should be missing his family--it's Damon. He literally got dragged into this situation and had no chance to plan or digest the decision to leave his home planet.
Again I thought he was a Terra Venture mechanic?
Old September 12th, 2018, 05:19 AM #34
> SnowWolf25
Power Ranger

SnowWolf25
Power Ranger

I do like the idea of the Galaxy Book being found earlier. While it was actually an awesome new plot device to launch when it did, I just would have loved a bit more insight into the Ranger Powers and perhaps if they were slowly working to unravel the mystery themselves it would have given Kendrix more to do throughout the season. I feel like she starts so strong but in the long run her only standout episode is that silly one where she replaces an actress. I know Valerie has health issues that probably prevented the character getting the development she deserved and I do think they handled it very well since for once I didn't even notice she was being written off until it happened.
I'm definitely in favour of giving Kendrix more to do, but it can't be stated enough how much she provides the other rangers with emotional support. Maybe an episode that tested that or meant the others had to provide support for her and realise how much she does for them.

I find it extremely confusing that the Trans Daggers make the Galactabeasts disappear and then Leo is just on the red one saying "now they're even more powerful." Like, I don't find it random he used the Trans Daggers to try and help them because---why the heck not? But the disappearance felt weird.

Oh yeah--Leo just randomly knowing to transform them is kind of random but Power Rangers always know how to pilot Zords.

I love that they took a while to have them evolve to their Zord-form rather than just throwing it all at us in one introductory episode. Kudos.
This is also where introducing the Galaxy Book earlier would have helped as we would have only needed a simple quick scene of Kendrix or someone turning the page to reveal the Galactazords transformed on one side and the Trans Daggers on the other, maybe with an arrow for good measure. You could even move this entire scene to the previous episode for foreshadowing.

It doesn't change Leo's gamble as he still doesn't know what to do with the Trans Daggers, but it makes it easier to see how he arrived at that conclusion.

As for the disappearing act, it makes me want to watch Gingaman to find what the original context for that scene was.
SnowWolf25 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 05:31 AM #35
> SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay
SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay

PineapplePizza wrote: View Post

They went union midway through In Space up until they moved production to New Zealand
Yes, which is why early Space credits voice actors, then second half space mostly doesn't (and Adelle's actress "changes", aka, she takes on a new credited name).

Was he not always the mechanic? I think even the Astro Megaship museum was on Terra Venture?
There are so many things to debate about LG. Was Mirinoi in the Lost Galaxy in the premiere (and if so, how'd it get out)? How do they eat and breathe and other science facts? (la la la) But my favorite is "was the Megaship already on Terra Venture?" I'm on the side that says it was. Kai didn't have time to get back to Earth (there were specifically no more shuttles running by the second episode). Also, Alpha's reaction to the LG team. "Power Rangers... but how?!" "To the Tenth Power" makes it clear the Space team's Astro Morphers were in holding. It just seems to me the Megaship museum was on Terra Venture as a sort of contingency plan in case they ran into trouble, make a new Space team. A new team popped up without needing to resort to plan B.

(The script that I have has it as on Earth, but included stuff they cut that would have shown Kai going to Earth. I've always heard in production the Megaship was on Earth, but they fixed it in post by intentionally removing anything that placed it anywhere but Terra Venture. Aunt Jackie more or less confirmed as much when I asked her about it at PMC1.)
SirStack is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 11:46 AM #36
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

The fact that Damon and Alpha-6 know about the GSA seems like the Megaship was part of the city on Terra Venture, plus didn't the flyers read "Terra Venture presents the Astro Megaship Museum" or something to that effect? A lot about PRLG's been retconned since 1999 (the year it took place, the Megaship placement, and some more things, I'm sure). Everyone's surprise to see Rangers again (Alpha's reaction in QQ2, the townspeople in 'Race') did fit with PRLG being so long after PRiS, though.

ImTired is about to hit the fun part of the series, though: the Lights of Orion saga. If you thought things didn't make sense now... just wait!
MegaBlue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 11:53 AM #37
> IMTIRED

IMTIRED

Well mind = blown. I'm just not as smart as I thought. I always jumped to the conclusion the Astro Megaship was on Earth--but it's totally plausible it is on Terra Venture.

Knowing the script SirStack has actually does place it on Earth brings me some comfort. It just "feels like" Earth. But a lot of things--particularly Damon (who is a person, not a thing) being in the position he is and so at ease do imply it was on Terra Venture all along. Seriously thank you all for pointing this out to me. The benefits of doing an "I'm Watching" thread nearly 20 years after the series aired. Somehow I really don't think I've ever seen this particular topic discussed.

MegaBlue wrote: View Post

ImTired is about to hit the fun part of the series, though: the Lights of Orion saga. If you thought things didn't make sense now... just wait!
I think I subconsciously dragged my feet getting through the first 5 episodes because I remember always disliking The Lights of Orion saga. I saw the "Next Time on Power Rangers Lost Galaxy" and shuttered.
Old September 12th, 2018, 12:06 PM #38
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

MegaBlue wrote: View Post

The fact that Damon and Alpha-6 know about the GSA seems like the Megaship was part of the city on Terra Venture
That and Kai was able to clear people out of the ship using his GSA credentials.

A lot about PRLG's been retconned since 1999 (the year it took place, the Megaship placement, and some more things, I'm sure). Everyone's surprise to see Rangers again (Alpha's reaction in QQ2, the townspeople in 'Race') did fit with PRLG being so long after PRiS, though.
I took it to be Lost Galaxy was about 5 years into the future. Long enough for people in-universe to miss the Rangers and have time to build Terra Venture but not too long so it explains why Bulk, the Space Rangers, and Karone haven’t visibly aged.

Trakeena’s Revenge and Forever Red kind of retcon this into Lost Galaxy being 1999 maaaybe 2000 (you could argue that Lost Galaxy and Lightspeed actually take place almost cocurrently with Journey’s End taking place only weeks or so before Trakeena’s Revenge)

On the other hand I think it’s easier to place Trakeena’s Revenge and Forever Red as out of continuity anyways and thus can still keep
Lost Galaxy as taking place 2003/2004

I don’t know what you’re talking about

Ah yes the ancient lights of orion legend says that eons ago they were left in a cave built on a recently constructed space colony

Furio you get one last chance! Jk you get 2!

Movie awards show on a space colony

This is the last place I saw Mike! Well a monster pretending to be him but same diff?

Wow the Magna Defender’s swordmanship reminds me of my brother....somehow. Gingaman!!!!

It just "feels like" Earth
To be fair a lot of Terra Venture will “feel like” earth

After Homesick nothing is really done with the space colony premise until Rescue Mission.

I think I subconsciously dragged my feet getting through the first 5 episodes because I remember always disliking The Lights of Orion saga. I saw the "Next Time on Power Rangers Lost Galaxy" and shuttered.
Don’t get it wrong Lights of Orion is a fucking mess from a logical standpoint but I still enjoy the saga mostly for the Magna Defender story.

Don’t blame you if you hate the saga though

Last edited by PineapplePizza; September 12th, 2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old September 12th, 2018, 02:04 PM #39
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

"Homesick"

If any theme song deserved a 3:30 min edit--it's this one. The song actually tells a story. I'd love a 2nd verse and bridge. Is this still Ron? How amazing would it be if he went back and composed full-length songs from the Power Rangers theme tunes? Take my $$$
Lost Galaxy, like most Power Rangers theme songs, was composed by Jeremy Sweet. Even Space's theme song was, he just asked Wasserman to perform it.

Beyond the first three seasons, the only songs Ron composed were Turbo's "Hope for the World", "Unite!", "You are the Power Team" and the NOT theme song also called "Power Rangers Turbo, Go", and Space's "Go, Fly, Win", "Mach 23", "Silver Ranger" and the remix of "Go Go Power Rangers" that appeared in the third episode.

I'll just settle for the Magna Defender theme.

I just noticed they maintained the PRiS communicator sound. Makes sense since their communication is probably developed by Alpha.
Time Force also uses that noise for their communicator.

OOh this part in the elevator is in a building in downtown Los Angeles. I think it used to be the Westin. I remember going there once and being like "this looks familiar". It was fun growing up in LA and occasionally coming across PR shooting locations by accident.
It was definitely added fun growing up here and recognizing backgrounds.

Something about Furio and Stingwingers taking the elevator is surprising and silly.
Because they literally teleport everywhere. LOL

That whole scene felt weird.

How did the Galactazords even know they could change back into the Galactabeasts after the fight was over?

Pacing can do so much.
Old September 12th, 2018, 06:43 PM #40
> Windgrail
Legacy Warnut

Windgrail
Legacy Warnut

Leo saw them when Horn kidnapped him. When Furio wanted to destroy them as well and Horn rightfully got pissed off, the Rangers just took both.

The real question is how Leo knew
the Transdaggers could give the Galactabeasts more power, and how that power would automatically save them from Gasser's wonderful gas.
I always felt instances like this were a combination of two things: 1) Billy's comment in episode 1 about how the powers gave them a second-nature insight, or 2) the way data would download to their helmets/minds ala Time Force. Or 3) Alpha told them off-screen. Lots of things tend to occur off-screen in the PRU!
Windgrail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote