Closed

Old January 11th, 2019, 05:00 PM #4861
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

Peter wrote: View Post

Fun? Comics aren't fun, don't be silly!

I own one full series of Captain Marvel (it's her having space adventures with her lesbian alien goddess friend, or something), and all I really got from that was that Carol can be abrasive. That's fine, you know, she's a hard-ass. But after twenty or so issues, I could not tell you anything else about her.

She just feels like one of those characters nobody really knows who she is or what to do with her.
Given comics culture in the last decade, that might be the case.

And yeah, thats the issue with Carol. She can be what Marvel wants her to be, but writers seems to make her just the strongest hero and nothing else and think that people will just love her based on that.
Old January 11th, 2019, 06:47 PM #4862
> Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

Like Dan Didio?
I saw the number of likes on that post, and realised it had to be something like that.

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

BC have been informed Bendis will be writing Legion of Superheroes
Spreading himself a little thin isn't he?

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

Who wants to bet someone manipulated Illiyana and Kitty into calling off the wedding?
Ah, but who?

Adara.2 wrote: View Post

Although the higher-ups could just use that excuse to say Emma Frost has become more petty along with "evil."
That's possible. I mean, it's not like Emma ever wasn't petty even in her nicer phases.

Digifiend wrote: View Post

And Captain Marvel spoilers:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01...tain-marvel-1/
Hazmat's powers are malfunctioning, so she's back in her Avengers Academy costume again.
You mean she ever wasn't? I cannot imagine Jen out of that suit. Besides, surely she'd have to change her name.

christopherjohn wrote: View Post

Marvel has been on this relaunch kick for a while. Personally it is getting tiresome. I personally odn't mind arcs being numbered like giving it a storyline name with numbers but keeping the issue number still going forward. I think it would solve a lot of problems people have with relaunches. Issue 209 End Game number 2 for example. That way people who just want to collect that storyline can get those numbers and hte issue number would still be consistent.
On the one hand, lots of restarting the numbers means it's easy to find a start point, on the other it can be a nightmare trying to figure out which run a given issue #2-whatever belongs to.

Your suggestion actually makes a lot of sense - the problem is that publishers seem to consider annoying conveniences for shoppers - like issue numbers - a chore and try to keep them as small as possible so I doubt they'd like to stick a second set of numbers and additional writing on there.

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

If any member of YJ was bi-sexual, I always kind of figured it'd be Bart. Kind of seems like the thing he'd be fully aware of, but not bring it up because he thought it was a normal thing that everyone does. "What? I like guys, big deal. I thought everyone had a choice in who they want to be with."
In that case wouldn't he have acted on it by now?

Virus wrote: View Post

Being from the future, he likely would. Thought Cassie might being linked to the Amazons.
Cassie's got an American mother and an American upbringing. I don't think the Amazons truly had a look in there. Not to say that she isn't of course, just that Amazon stuff shouldn't be the reason why.

I own one full series of Captain Marvel (it's her having space adventures with her lesbian alien goddess friend, or something), and all I really got from that was that Carol can be abrasive. That's fine, you know, she's a hard-ass. But after twenty or so issues, I could not tell you anything else about her.

She just feels like one of those characters nobody really knows who she is or what to do with her.
I'm sure Carol has her moments, but my favourite thing I can think of from recent years involving her was America's attempt to shut her up by smacking her with a chair. I therefore have to consider that you might have a point.

Given comics culture in the last decade, that might be the case.

And yeah, thats the issue with Carol. She can be what Marvel wants her to be, but writers seems to make her just the strongest hero and nothing else and think that people will just love her based on that.
Have people ever loved a hero just because they were strong. I mean, even (mythological) Hercules had more to him than that.
Old January 11th, 2019, 06:57 PM #4863
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

Long Time Newbie wrote: View Post

Cassie's got an American mother and an American upbringing. I don't think the Amazons truly had a look in there. Not to say that she isn't of course, just that Amazon stuff shouldn't be the reason why.

True. Not to say that some Amazon influence there. And well she was pretty damn close to Kara, so...

Have people ever loved a hero just because they were strong. I mean, even (mythological) Hercules had more to him than that.
Not really. But Marvel's mindset seems to be "Female empowerment is big, lets push Captain Marvel" and then think that she's a "Strong Female Character" is all she needs to be.
Old January 11th, 2019, 07:12 PM #4864
> Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

True. Not to say that some Amazon influence there. And well she was pretty damn close to Kara, so...
Kara just seemed to be pretty damn close in general though, or do I need to remind you of her night out with Stephanie? Now that was such a random issue, and yet I laughed so many times in it.

Not really. But Marvel's mindset seems to be "Female empowerment is big, lets push Captain Marvel" and then think that she's a "Strong Female Character" is all she needs to be.
And they'd probably be right if they were talking in a literary sense. Sadly if somebody conflates the literary definition of 'Strong Female Character' with 'can pile-drive a mountain into rubble' then it's not going to work.
Old January 11th, 2019, 07:17 PM #4865
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

Kara just seemed to be pretty damn close in general though, or do I need to remind you of her night out with Stephanie? Now that was such a random issue, and yet I laughed so many times in it.

No. I have that issue. It was funny. I miss those days
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old January 11th, 2019, 07:47 PM #4866
> Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

No. I have that issue. It was funny. I miss those days
I suppose that entire Batgirl run was based around random wackiness now that I think about it. I mean, I would love to have been in the DC editorial meeting when 'Stephanie is distracted from moping about the sorry state of her love life on Valentine's Day when she's dragged on a Beetleborgs-B-plot-esque adventure with Klarion the Witch Boy' was submitted.

By the way, is it really necessary to put this in hide tags given it was 2010 and had no real significance to any plotline? I mean, at this point I'm doing just because the conversation started with them.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old January 11th, 2019, 07:51 PM #4867
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

I suppose that entire Batgirl run was based around random wackiness now that I think about it. I mean, I would love to have been in the DC editorial meeting when 'Stephanie is distracted from moping about the sorry state of her love life on Valentine's Day when she's dragged on a Beetleborgs-B-plot-esque adventure with Klarion the Witch Boy' was submitted.

By the way, is it really necessary to put this in hide tags given it was 2010 and had no real significance to any plotline? I mean, at this point I'm doing just because the conversation started with them.
I guess not.
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:38 PM #4868
> RedRobin
Genius Schmuck

RedRobin
Genius Schmuck

Now that Tim is back to being Robin (for now), I gotta ask, should Damian continue being Robin? I mean, isn't the point of Robin to balance out Batman's darker nature? That's kind of hard to do seeing as Bruce and Damian don't seem to interact anymore.
Old January 12th, 2019, 12:29 AM #4869
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

I'm perfectly fine with Damian ditching the Robin identity for something else, like Tim should have done years ago instead of adding a color to his name. I'm a little surprised they haven't done that already since Rebirth has been practically going out of its way to distance Damian from Bruce as much as humanly possible (Kinda sucks when, before all of this, they were finally seeing eye to eye with each other)

That said, if Tim's gonna be Robin then can we please add him to one of the main series Bat-titles? Not counting Tec, It's been over three years since Batman and Robin have actually worked together, long term. Brooding loner Bruce hasn't been entertaining in a VERY long time.
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:31 AM #4870
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

You mean she ever wasn't? I cannot imagine Jen out of that suit. Besides, surely she'd have to change her name.
At the end of Avengers Arena, a trigger scented X-23 stabbed her (Laura ended up getting irradiated as a result). To protect everyone, Reptil took Hazmat far away, and she unleashed a massive surge of radiation. Since then, it had been under control, and she no longer needed the containment suit. So she didn't have it during Avengers Undercover.
Old January 12th, 2019, 05:27 AM #4871
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

In that case wouldn't he have acted on it by now?

How do we know he hasn't? Bendis loves bending continuity over a pinball machine, maybe Bart's already hooked up with up Bunker or someone else in the new altered timeline.
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:24 AM #4872
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

One of Bendis' selling points in interviews for Young Justice was exploring failed relationships, first loves etc, so he could be touching on that
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:58 AM #4873
> Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

That no one knows how to write Carol in a way that anyone likes her?
She was actually likable as Ms. Marvel. Popularity wise it proves she's in that grey area where she might be popular enough to get a series,but not popular enough to maintain it. The problem with her latest runs, and much like the movie promotions is that they're running on "She's a Woman" and "She stronger than any other Superhero in existence" and that's it. You need more than just that to sustain a series. Their hiring practices are coming home to bite them. They don't know how to write compelling characters that people want to pay to read about.
Old January 12th, 2019, 07:14 AM #4874
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Yeah, her tagline introduced when she took the Captain mantle, was Earth's Mightiest Hero - a title usually used to refer to the Avengers as a whole. The implication is that she's more powerful than almost anyone, except for Thor (since Asgard isn't Earth). Thankfully, they seem to have dropped that tagline. After all, the reveal that she's half-alien means she can't really be called Earth's anything now.
Old January 12th, 2019, 09:11 AM #4875
> Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Yeah, her tagline introduced when she took the Captain mantle, was Earth's Mightiest Hero - a title usually used to refer to the Avengers as a whole. The implication is that she's more powerful than almost anyone, except for Thor (since Asgard isn't Earth). Thankfully, they seem to have dropped that tagline. After all, the reveal that she's half-alien means she can't really be called Earth's anything now.
Vol. 11 she'll be "The strongest one there is" . Highjacking taglines is a surefire way to turn people against a character. Marvel needs to get back to actual story telling. A cool look and power set might get people in the proverbial door,but its the character development that will make people stay. They've been failing at that the last few years.
Old January 12th, 2019, 11:33 AM #4876
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

The only time I really felt things got bland for Captain Marvel was when Alpha Flight came around. Just the general switch to Carol as basically Director of SWORD but we're randomly bringing in Alpha Flight instead, that period has been rocky for me but everything before was good. Especially DeConnick's run, I have usually enjoyed her outside her own title too like the Ultimates, but once Civil War 2 hit there was just a mass of bad writing that they haven't recovered from.

It kind of feels like they know they have the movie coming and aren't prepped for the synergy and don't know what to do with her until then but know they need to make her a flagship character. So there's been this weird limbo to her stories as a result.
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:39 PM #4877
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

I agree with Titanium. The only time Carol was lost was when she was the director of Alpha Flight.

If you want to know who she is as a character, read The Life of Captain Marvel.

Oh, and also, the length of Carol's hair directly correlates to how defined her character is or was to me. She basically lost all of her characterization when she got the pixie cut and got it all back when she grew her hair back out. What was up with them defeminizing their female leader characters, anyway? Carol, Crystal, Medusa, Kitty.

Even the teen Jean Grey got a hair cut when she went back to leading the O5, even if it wasn't as short. The only one who didn't was Kamala Khan, and then adult Jean when she came back.

Last edited by Harpsikord; January 12th, 2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:24 PM #4878
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

Harpsikord wrote: View Post

I agree with Titanium. The only time Carol was lost was when she was the director of Alpha Flight.

If you want to know who she is as a character, read The Life of Captain Marvel.

Oh, and also, the length of Carol's hair directly correlates to how defined her character is or was to me. She basically lost all of her characterization when she got the pixie cut and got it all back when she grew her hair back out. What was up with them defeminizing their female leader characters, anyway? Carol, Crystal, Medusa, Kitty.

Even the teen Jean Grey got a hair cut when she went back to leading the O5, even if it wasn't as short. The only one who didn't was Kamala Khan, and then adult Jean when she came back.
I would explain, but we would be going into territory that we would rather avoid on this board.
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:32 PM #4879
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

I would explain, but we would be going into territory that we would rather avoid on this board.
Youu're free to PM me if you'd like, though I wasn't attempting to veer the topic into a more political zone. It was mostly a rhetorical question.

I'm always up for private discussion on the matter tho.
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:33 PM #4880
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

How did adult Jean come back from the dead this time, anyway? I've been meaning to ask.

Did she smack her younger counterpart in the face for being a jerk a few times?
Closed