Power Ranger

All hail the entertainment kingpin

Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 07:28 AM #42
> DrGreenEvil
The Good Doctor

DrGreenEvil
The Good Doctor

Disney buying super-large chunks of the Fox Entertainment media empire..

The Good - Now, with only really Spiderman and co. as an exception, all of Marvel is under one roof. They can incorporate the X-Men into the MCU, make new cartoons, etc. Disney has been trying to branch out into more action-oriented girls brands, not just pretty princesses. So maybe something new Buffy will come out of this.

The Wait and see - It just now hit me that The Simpsons and Family Guy are now Disney. That just feels weird.

The Bad - When it comes to some franchises like Deadpool, Alien, and Predator, my gut is not to trust the Mouse.
There is also the fact that Disney as an evil corporate empire keeps growing which, in the long run, cannot be good.
DrGreenEvil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 07:54 AM #43
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Even though Disney has purchased 20th Century FOX television I don't think this means The Simpsons attractions will leave Universal Studios theme parks. The 'Spider-Man' ride is still at Universal Orlando today even though the character is now part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 08:07 AM #44
> Ataruman
The Brains of Jashinka

Ataruman
The Brains of Jashinka

I was talking with someone earlier about "Family Guy" (even if I'm not a fan of the show...or anything Seth McFarlaine I admit). Personally, since that's his own production company that distributes via Fox, he could just take it elsewhere. Heck, considering everything McFarlaine related animated is more or less better associated with the Time Warner networks now (Adult Swim basically saving Family Guy; TBS and American Dad; heck, McFarlane got his whole start at Hanna-Barbera/CN Studio), really he should just break whatever partnership he has with Fox, align with Warner and should be that. It's tough to say how intellectual properties go when you have companies aligning like that, but really its' a way around this.

Though there better be a Planet Express ride now at Disney World...then again the Simpsons "Monorail" song suddenly is being played in my head.
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 08:58 AM #45
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Well now it's official...simply put, just have the "Fox Studio" side have the more risque stuff (Deadpool, the Seth McFarlane shows) and let Disney take the X-movies and the remainders of Star Wars that Fox still had.
AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

Just the risque stuff? You do realise that Fox also release stuff other than the ones you mentioned, right?
Fox's most notable family friendly franchise is the Ice Age movies. They also did the four Alvin and the Chipmunks movies, the two Rio movies, the Home Alone movies, the Night at the Museum series and the rights to Doctor Doolittle, none of which would be considered risqué.
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 09:39 AM #46
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Welp. That work is done.

“Sure we’re marching even closer to the cyberpunk future of mega-sized corporations BUT WHO CARES?! X-Men and Fantastic Four are back with Marvel! We finally have a shot at a *good* Fantastic Four movie!!!”

*big sigh*
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 09:44 AM #47
> MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

A empire of dreams and smiles. <3
MerCurryMeme is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 09:47 AM #48
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

MerCurryMeme wrote: View Post

A empire of dreams and smiles. <3

As a fan of some of the IPs involved in here, I'm naturally happy. Same with me as a fan of Disney's creative side.

Disney's corporate side is getting worrisome for sure.
Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 09:48 AM #49
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

Disney already owns most of the things I care about anyway (Power Rangers being the one consistent thing that they don't, and they have before)...so I'm actually cool with this. For now. I think X-Men and Fantastic 4 being back home is a great thing, but I'm interested to see what happens with Deadpool and other like-minded works.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 10:05 AM #50
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

tasti man LH wrote: View Post

Welp. That work is done.

“Sure we’re marching even closer to the cyberpunk future of mega-sized corporations BUT WHO CARES?! X-Men and Fantastic Four are back with Marvel! We finally have a shot at a *good* Fantastic Four movie!!!”

*big sigh*
Yeah, kind of my thoughts. At least we'll get perfectly fine X-Men and Fan Four movies.
GokaiGold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 10:16 AM #51
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

Dukemon wrote: View Post

I think X-Men and Fantastic 4 being back home is a great thing
I'm sorry, but this is fucking ridiculous. Say what you want about the Fox films, think what you like about them coming to the MCU, but they're not "back home". Marvel Studios has never been their home, and they've never left Marvel Comics.

Reuniting all of the Marvel properties under one studio? Absolutely. That's something commendable. The word choice just stings of the dichotomising that avid MCU fans go on with. That's the thing that rubs me up the wrong way with the whole deal more than anything. I don't feel like you meant it that way, at least.

[...] but I'm interested to see what happens with Deadpool and other like-minded works.
This is my concern with the buy-out. Fox have just gotten into the swing of delivering brilliant R-rated films, and I wouldn't want to lose out on that. If Disney could find a way to bring out R-rated superhero films, both DP and any non-X harder Marvel properties they may want to expand upon - perhaps repurposing Fox to release them (which I believe is what Ataruman actually meant, to those commenting on Fox's lighter film catalogue), that'd be great. But then would they wind up recasting Deadpool? Or would they be alright stitching Reynolds into the MCU? There was a Helicarrier, after all...

(Edit: Sounds like they're definitely considering keeping Deadpool R-rated. Phew!)

To comment on the news itself... yeah, as with others, I'm unnerved by the degree of properties that Disney now owns. I wasn't previously aware that the buy-out would be getting them the likes of Aliens and Predator. It'll be interesting to see how everything is reorganised and comes to settle in the coming years. This feels like when galaxies collide... we'll see what winds up falling where. I just hope this doesn't lessen the creative diversity amongst film and television. With big sci-fi-horror properties, surely they'll still find a way to keep things like those going?
TealMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 10:27 AM #52
> Galaxy
Power Ranger

Galaxy
Power Ranger

DrGreenEvil wrote: View Post

The Bad - When it comes to some franchises like Deadpool, Alien, and Predator, my gut is not to trust the Mouse.
I would like to point out that FOX itself proved it can't be trusted with Alien. I kind of doubt Disney could hurt the Alien franchise more then FOX/Ridley Scott already did...

Besides that a company getting more power can be bad, but as a viewer/consumer this deal mostly just means a company that makes about 75% of the film/tv media I like is buying out a studio that has good franchises but generally only bad people working on them and putting out low quality products. So, as a consumer for me this is a net poisitive, even if I can acknowledge that Disney can do some messed up things and them having more power could cause problems in the future.
Galaxy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 10:27 AM #53
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

A certain TV show really has been good at predicting the future.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/the-simp...go-1202227015/

This image also makes me laugh.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/hollywoo...ds-1202226887/
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 10:30 AM #54
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

They really are good at this, aren't they? Anyone want to comb through episodes to find anything else that could wind up coming true? Sly gags that seem ridiculous?
TealMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:15 PM #55
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

WGA West are pissed off

https://t.co/afUsQ4gycO

“In the relentless drive to eliminate competition, big business has an insatiable appetite for consolidation. Disney and Fox have spent decades profiting from the oligopolistic control that the six major media conglomerates have exercised over the entertainment industry, often at the expense of the creators who power their television and film operations. Now, this proposed merger of direct competitors will make matters even worse by substantially increasing the market power of a combined Disney-Fox corporation. The antitrust concerns raised by this deal are obvious and significant. The Writers Guild of America West strongly opposes this merger and will work to ensure our nation’s antitrust laws are enforced.”
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:28 PM #56
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

TealMystechRanger wrote: View Post

I'm sorry, but this is fucking ridiculous. Say what you want about the Fox films, think what you like about them coming to the MCU, but they're not "back home". Marvel Studios has never been their home, and they've never left Marvel Comics.

Reuniting all of the Marvel properties under one studio? Absolutely. That's something commendable. The word choice just stings of the dichotomising that avid MCU fans go on with. That's the thing that rubs me up the wrong way with the whole deal more than anything. I don't feel like you meant it that way, at least.
Why not? Instead of Fantastic Four belonging to a studio that... never really believed in the franchise to begin with, given the watered down movies we got, it now belongs to a studio that will allow it to thrive and do things properly. The natural "home" for them is the studio that knows them best.

As for X-Men, ehh. Logan and Deadpool have been anomalies, but the main series is pretty patchy, whilst somehow Brian Singer is still making the same X-Men movies now as he was in 2000. The superhero movie landscape has changed, and X-Men really hasn't under Fox.

People often forget that Kevin Feige started out as an assistant to Lauren Shuler Donner, who made him a producer on X-Men. It was his insistence that Wolverine have the classic haircut that actually made it happen, against Fox's request. He stated something along the lines of "Just because it has the possibility to look ridiculous doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make it look cool." Pretty much every design aspect from the Fox movies has been pretty bad: from the X-suits, Apocalypse, The Sentinels, Fox are a studio that's scared of it's superhero movies looking like superhero movies. This is why I'm excited to see an MCU X-Men in yellow and blue suits.
Spoony Spoonerson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:40 PM #57
> wammyguide
Power Ranger

wammyguide
Power Ranger

You know, I just realized something. First though, I don’t want anyone to think I have a weird theory, or I’m predicting something, I’m not.

Anyways, 20th Century Fox still owns the rights to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Movie, and Turbo A Power Rangers Movie. I doubt they’ll do anything special with either of them, but it’d be nice to at the very least release both of them on Blu Ray.
wammyguide is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:47 PM #58
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Spoony Spoonerson wrote: View Post

As for X-Men, ehh. Logan and Deadpool have been anomalies, but the main series is pretty patchy, whilst somehow Brian Singer is still making the same X-Men movies now as he was in 2000. The superhero movie landscape has changed, and X-Men really hasn't under Fox.
Uh, Singer already said that Apocalypse was his last X-Men film that he's involved in.

Pretty much every design aspect from the Fox movies has been pretty bad: from the X-suits, Apocalypse, The Sentinels, Fox are a studio that's scared of it's superhero movies looking like superhero movies.
Every design aspect from the films has been bad? I disagree.

This is why I'm excited to see an MCU X-Men in yellow and blue suits.
I'm pretty sure you forget that First Class had the yellow and blue suits and the suits seen in the end of Apocalypse are based on the popular Nineties costumes.
AdrenalineRush is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:54 PM #59
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

The trick here is how much of Fox they're actually buying. A bunch of it is being separated or kept by Newscorp, including the Fox network so that's not really going to be affected, though I wonder if FX is. So they're not making a merger as much as a buyout, which gives them wiggle room for antitrust laws.

It'd be hilarious if when this all clears out, all they did was buy a bunch of properties up not even the company itself.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:55 PM #60
> MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

It'd be hilarious if when this all clears out, all they did was buy a bunch of properties up not even the company itself.
"we got them camik book guys, right?"

"Yessir."

"gewd."
MerCurryMeme is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote