Who makes the current Disney games?
Depends on the game.
AkaGreenPrimo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:06 PM #22
> Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Sevenlima
Power Ranger

I've heard that Square-Enix will give more explanation a Marvel game in 2018.
Sevenlima is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:13 PM #23
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Isn't there something that prevents a company from complete domination of a market or something called an anti-trust lawsuit?

As much as I love Disney creatively, I'm slightly concerned about their expansion.

Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:02 PM #24
> RangerLobo-Guara
VIP Rider

RangerLobo-Guara
VIP Rider

Quantum Wolf wrote: View Post

Isn't there something that prevents a company from complete domination of a market or something called an anti-trust lawsuit?

As much as I love Disney creatively, I'm slightly concerned about their expansion.

The creepiest part of this video is that it is real.
RangerLobo-Guara is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 09:02 PM #25
> John Pannozzi
Power Ranger

John Pannozzi
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

The Disney acquisition of Time Warner almost happened in 2014 but that was eventually aborted.
Last time I checked, it was Rupert Murdoch and Fox who wanted to buy Time Warner in 2014, not Disney AFAIK. Where did you hear that?

Anyway, here are some very recent articles on this brewing deal. I haven't looked at them yet BTW.

Maybe this thread's title should be changed, since Disney isn't the only one courting Fox, and there are plenty of other mergers and acquisitions happening in the entertainment business right now even outside the Mouse House.
John Pannozzi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 09:34 PM #26
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

John Pannozzi wrote: View Post

Last time I checked, it was Rupert Murdoch and Fox who wanted to buy Time Warner in 2014, not Disney AFAIK. Where did you hear that?
An article from Hollywood Reporter that was posted after the Fox acquisition was aborted and was about Wang Jianlin wanting to buy Time Warner, which mentions Disney as one of the other three companies who wanted to buy the company, along with Google and Apple, which I will now quote:
The prospect of combining Disney's Marvel with Time Warner's DC Comics might be too compelling to ignore, plus CNN would give Disney the cable news asset it lacks. Disney's market cap as of Aug. 8 was $149 billion compared with Time Warner's $63 billion, which gives Disney CEO Bob Iger more leverage than Murdoch might have had.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...n-could-724889
AdrenalineRush is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 10:48 PM #27
> John Pannozzi
Power Ranger

John Pannozzi
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

An article from Hollywood Reporter that was posted after the Fox acquisition was aborted and was about Wang Jianlin wanting to buy Time Warner, which mentions Disney as one of the other three companies who wanted to buy the company, along with Google and Apple, which I will now quote:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...n-could-724889
Interesting. Doesn't sound like talks got anywhere near serious, though.

RangerLobo-Guara wrote: View Post

Do you think they are going to stop there? I can see they buying Hasbro in no time. Smaller comics editors such as BOOM! and IDW may be saved, but what Dark Horse?
FOX owns a small stake in Boom, and I dunno what would happen to said stake if FOX's assets are sold.

IDW is a public company, unlike most other comics publishers, but it's having financial issues. Maybe Hasbro or someone could buy them, I frankly dunno.

I think either FOX or Universal had close ties to Dark Horse, so a buyout may happen someday....

.....but likely not until Dark Horse's head Mike Richardson is ready to retire. Comic publishers and studios like Top Cow, Robert Kirkman's Skybound and Todd McFarlane Productions might also get bought when their respective founders decide to retire, but that's a long way away (plus, most of these guys are vocal critics of selling out).

Dynamite and/or Valiant could be bought out because they have decent libraries of characters. Valiant is trying to start their own cinematic universe, so we'll see where that pans out.

Who knows?

RangerLobo-Guara wrote: View Post

Reminder: japanese companies are totally safe. Japan has laws agains their companies being totally bought by foreigners.
Interesting...that apparently doesn't work in reverse, given Sony's ownership of Columbia/Tri-Star.

On a similar note, the Canada-based DHX Media (owner of everything from Inspector Gadget to Teletubbies to Degrassi to the stake in Peanuts not held by Charles Schultz's estate) is up for sale, but a foreign buyer would have to sell off the Canadian TV networks owned by DHX.
Old December 7th, 2017, 04:02 AM #28
> Otokusastu Zetto
♥ Worship our LupinKudo ♥

Otokusastu Zetto
♥ Worship our LupinKudo ♥

I'm pretty sure not everyone here is from USA/Canada

But could this merger affect media outlet in other countries like UK, Spain, China or Japan ?
Otokusastu Zetto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 04:50 AM #29
> OmniMystechRanger
SPECIAL MODERATOR, LORD, MASTER & BOSS OF STUPID UGLY FACE: GREENBEASTFIST & HASSO PRIMO

OmniMystechRanger
SPECIAL MODERATOR, LORD, MASTER & BOSS OF STUPID UGLY FACE: GREENBEASTFIST & HASSO PRIMO

Otokusastu Zetto wrote: View Post

I'm pretty sure not everyone here is from USA/Canada

But could this merger affect media outlet in other countries like UK, Spain, China or Japan ?
It probably will affect media thruout the world in one way or another!
OmniMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:53 PM #30
> Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Could Disney have some influences in animated shows of Fox ?
Old December 7th, 2017, 04:02 PM #31
> Mr. Hot-Man
Power Ranger

Mr. Hot-Man
Power Ranger

turbo409uk wrote: View Post

Was Power Rangers the only time Disney ever gave up one of it's franchises?
Digifiend wrote: View Post

No, because they also sold other material back to Saban as well.
Outside of the Saban assets, the other key thing Disney sold off is the NHL's Anaheim Ducks. And unlike the Saban stuff which they acquired, Disney founded that sports team (as the Mighty Ducks).
Mr. Hot-Man is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 11:27 AM #32
> Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Could somehow, this purchase affect negatively the company in the future if it is done wrong ?
Old December 8th, 2017, 11:42 AM #33
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

Sevenlima wrote: View Post

Could somehow, this purchase affect negatively the company in the future if it is done wrong ?
Anything wrong affects every company negatively.
AkaGreenPrimo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 01:07 PM #34
> Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Sevenlima
Power Ranger

I think Disney should be careful.
Old December 8th, 2017, 01:53 PM #35
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Sevenlima wrote: View Post

I think Disney should be careful.
Well, of course they should.
Old December 8th, 2017, 03:07 PM #36
> John Pannozzi
Power Ranger

John Pannozzi
Power Ranger

Mr. Hot-Man wrote: View Post

Outside of the Saban assets, the other key thing Disney sold off is the NHL's Anaheim Ducks. And unlike the Saban stuff which they acquired, Disney founded that sports team (as the Mighty Ducks).
Don't forget Miramax and DiC.
Old December 14th, 2017, 05:23 AM #37
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

It's finally official.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/14/disn...ox-assets.html

Walt Disney on Thursday announced it acquired many parts of Twenty-First Century Fox in a deal worth more than $52 billion in stock. The company will get network Nat Geo, Asian pay-TV operator Star TV, Fox's movie studios, stakes in Sky and Hulu, and regional sports networks.

Disney's Fox acquisition bolsters its plans to become a dominant streaming service platform, making it a bigger threat to Netflix.

"The more desirable content they have, the better they will be able to compete in terms of trying to sell a subscription offering at a time there's so much competition for subscription-based services," said eMarketer senior analyst Paul Verna.

Bob Iger will remain Disney's chairman and CEO through the end of 2021, at the request of the board of directors of both companies. Disney emphasized the importance of Iger to integrate the acquisition, saying in a statement that "extending his tenure is in the best interests of our company and our shareholders."

In August, Disney announced it will start standalone streaming services and pull its movies off of Netflix starting in 2019. No price point has been set for its upcoming movie and TV plan, but the company said it will e "substantially below" Netflix's price. Disney also will create a standalone ESPN digital service with access to 10,000 additional live sporting events.

Disney has said its content service will have a smaller library than Netflix. Still, it has some fan-favorite titles including its animated features, Marvel movies, and Star Wars films. Adding Fox's repertoire of content * which includes the X-Men, Alien and Predator franchises in addition to shows like "The Simpsons," "Family Guy" and "The X-Files" * will only make it stronger.

"Both companies are so deep in terms of what they have," Verna said. "The decision to subscribe to a streaming service often comes down to does the content match what I, as a consumer, am interested in."

The deal puts Netflix in a more precarious situation, as some of this content it had previously licensed may now leave the service. Netflix will also have tospend more to remain competitive. However, Netflix has already acknowledged it can't rely on other media companies' shows and movies and is focusing on its own content. The company has projected it will spend $8 billion next year.

The Disney-Fox merger solidifies Netflix's in-house production strategy as a smart one, Verna said. And since Netflix's service is already established, Disney will face a stiffer battle than Netflix, Verna said: the market is already full of over-the-top video companies that offer premium content without requiring a cable or satellite subscription. It also is unclear how many of Fox's titles Disney will get streaming rights for, as well as if it will pass federal antitrust laws.

"Would Netflix rather have all this Disney and Fox content?" Verna said. "Yes. Will they crumble as a result of not having it? I don't think so."
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 05:42 AM #38
> Ataruman
The Brains of Jashinka

Ataruman
The Brains of Jashinka

Well now it's official...simply put, just have the "Fox Studio" side have the more risque stuff (Deadpool, the Seth McFarlane shows) and let Disney take the X-movies and the remainders of Star Wars that Fox still had.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 05:58 AM #39
> RangerLobo-Guara
VIP Rider

RangerLobo-Guara
VIP Rider

I hope we get good Alien vs Predator comics now.

Disney should make a new Disney Infinity-like game where you can use characters from every franchise, and without the expensive aspects. Kingdom Hearts proved that strange crossovers are worthy trying.
RangerLobo-Guara is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 06:17 AM #40
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Well now it's official...simply put, just have the "Fox Studio" side have the more risque stuff (Deadpool, the Seth McFarlane shows) and let Disney take the X-movies and the remainders of Star Wars that Fox still had.
Just the risque stuff? You do realise that Fox also release stuff other than the ones you mentioned, right?