Home Menu

Menu

Old September 17th, 2017, 04:17 PM #61
> Gunpla Rider
VIP Rider

Gunpla Rider
VIP Rider

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Kevin Sorbo will do anything offered to him. That's the Sorbo guarantee.
actually Sorbo has gone a little crazt and religious crazy. (not bashing on religion, but hes like kirk cameron crazy) This show has a character who is from an all male species and thus they would have a homosexual relationship. So he would detest the show for that purpose
Gunpla Rider is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 06:49 PM #62
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

I liked this episode a lot more. Bigger stakes, bigger story moral, and the jokes reached higher. It's still not hitting the true parody principle, though.

It took WAY too long to acknowledge Isaac's race thinking as little of most species and using that to their advantage, but it's also odd Isaac would still be so willing to help without any snood of his own. And I didn't like that Alara would have willingly returned to base if everyone hadn't disagreed with her compliance, that made it feel more about being liked or making the proper choice rather than going with her own gut.

So what's with Bortus's little girl? This would point to his race not being all male, but rather having a tradition that exterminates any females. Or maybe it's some kind of side effect of hanging around too many humans?

And was I the only one who liked their red ship upgrade better? >_>
AkaGreenPrimo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 07:02 PM #63
> dark ranger 86
I AM HERE

dark ranger 86
I AM HERE

Seeing the second episode I see this will be a light hearted sci-fi program with little to no extreme crude humor Seth would normally do. I guess he has a soft spot for outer space.

Not much to say about the episode other than I like it and thought the ending was funny. If those aliens thought earthlings were inferior before I hate to think what they think after watching Real Housewives. Am I the only one who thought there would be some elaborate showdown to release all the aliens from the zoo? Also after seeing Issac now I realize what he reminded me of

dark ranger 86 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 09:03 PM #64
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

dark ranger 86 wrote: View Post

If those aliens thought earthlings were inferior before I hate to think what they think after watching Real Housewives.
The same, just to a far more entertaining degree.

Though, now that I think about it, why would they be bought off by reality TV? That's like us trading an elephant for footage of elephants fighting. Then again, since zoos are becoming less popular with every year, technically I guess we have traded them for reality TV...
Old September 18th, 2017, 07:57 AM #65
> archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

Since most other species aren't their equal. It be like the zoo having a orangutan over a gorilla. Most people don't care and call everything monkey. So a TV with thousands of TV shows yelling or arguing is going to be amusing. That's what Ed and Kelly where doing anyway. What does it matter who it was. It was fun that they already wanted to do the cage reference. It was nice seeing one of the TNG guest actors (trucker who ordered the ship back to Earth), come back and still play an ass on Orville.
archer9234 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 12:15 PM #66
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

PrimoMystechRanger wrote: View Post

I liked this episode a lot more. Bigger stakes, bigger story moral, and the jokes reached higher. It's still not hitting the true parody principle, though.

It took WAY too long to acknowledge Isaac's race thinking as little of most species and using that to their advantage, but it's also odd Isaac would still be so willing to help without any snood of his own. And I didn't like that Alara would have willingly returned to base if everyone hadn't disagreed with her compliance, that made it feel more about being liked or making the proper choice rather than going with her own gut.

So what's with Bortus's little girl? This would point to his race not being all male, but rather having a tradition that exterminates any females. Or maybe it's some kind of side effect of hanging around too many humans?

And was I the only one who liked their red ship upgrade better? >_>
I feel like i found last week funnier but enjoyed this weeks story telling more, mainly the bortus cliffhanger, could make for some good continuity.... perhaps they exterminate or perhaps its like the smurfs where theres a lost village of their kind but filled with females

And i saw it as Alara didnt want to be in the position in the first place so going back saved her bacon and kept her from getting deeper into the role than she ever wanted to be.

Ive never fully seen star trek but im enjoying seeing all the different species and kind of do want to watch some star trek, guess I'll give discovery a look when it comes out

The reality tv segment at the end was hilarious...a direct nod to us humans who clammer around the tv to watch what is sometimes considered as non substance shows.
toejammer is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 12:31 PM #67
> bearytrek
Power Ranger

bearytrek
Power Ranger

AngieYaz wrote: View Post

What's this, a ripoff of Star Trek TNG?
essentially!

Not that aping STNG is the worst thing you could copycat, but I think they should play the series completely serious and limit the humor to certain places...

I think the show could stand on its own as a strict drama (now it would still owe a HUGE assist to STNG for pretty much everything: the pacing, the music cues, the staging, set design, makeup, etc) with minor smidges of humor...
bearytrek is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 08:18 PM #68
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

Oh lets not forget the cannabis edibles, that surprised me
toejammer is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 08:41 PM #69
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

toejammer wrote: View Post

Oh lets not forget the cannabis edibles, that surprised me
I was SO hoping that would play a role in the resolution.
Old September 19th, 2017, 12:35 AM #70
> Mr. Underachiever
Thenubucanplaywithoutside

Mr. Underachiever

GoldAnyRanger wrote: View Post

Considering it had Fox's best premiere numbers since Empire, it's not going to be happening anytime soon. Unless the numbers start dropping dramatically.
That was on Sunday after football. We'll see how the show does on Thursdays after Gotham.

It's not a bad show, but it doesn't gel yet. The humor is too crude for it to be an affectionate parody, and the jokes aren't frequent (or funny) enough for it either. The drama and action scenes don't have the gravitas of a proper Trek show, so it just comes off like ripoff with a couple of curse words thrown in. Not sure if Seth MacFarlane has the right style for a show as ambitious as this.

That said, the pilot was fairly entertaining, so I'd keep watching it if I remember to, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way for it.
Mr. Underachiever is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 12:53 AM #71
> kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

Yeah, the humor's a little cringe at times, but I'm still having a blast of a time with this show.

I legit busted up laughing at that ending of ep 2.
kainhighwind2 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 03:33 PM #72
> Gunpla Rider
VIP Rider

Gunpla Rider
VIP Rider

bearytrek wrote: View Post

essentially!

Not that aping STNG is the worst thing you could copycat, but I think they should play the series completely serious and limit the humor to certain places...

I think the show could stand on its own as a strict drama (now it would still owe a HUGE assist to STNG for pretty much everything: the pacing, the music cues, the staging, set design, makeup, etc) with minor smidges of humor...
The series is pretty much Star Trek, since discovery is going to be nothing like star trek. And for those that ask how I can see into the future. The show runners were told to make it look nothing like trek that came before.
Gunpla Rider is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 03:35 PM #73
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

the_future_zordon wrote: View Post

actually Sorbo has gone a little crazt and religious crazy. (not bashing on religion, but hes like kirk cameron crazy) This show has a character who is from an all male species and thus they would have a homosexual relationship. So he would detest the show for that purpose
He was on Supergirl though, so he doesn't seem to have to big a problem with it.
Virus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 04:04 PM #74
> Mr. Underachiever

Mr. Underachiever

I agree with the people who said the second episode was much better, but it still has that issue with the humor. It was better this episode, but the only jokes were at the very beginning (which went on way too long but actually had clever relevance to the plot), and the very end with the Real Housewives clip. Everything in the middle was pretty by-the-numbers Trek/space opera stuff. Again, not bad, but it's still hard to tell what this show is and what it wants to be.

This also felt like it should have been episode four or five. We needed a couple of episodes of the crew together to establish a status quo before we got a fairly character heavy episode like this. It almost feels like it was aired out of order.

I do feel more excited going into it, but not all the way sold. Episode three is apparently the one that's been getting a lot of bad reviews, mostly because of how they handle the previous episode's cliffhanger, so I'll be cautiously optimistic for it this Thursday.

Last edited by Mr. Underachiever; September 19th, 2017 at 04:13 PM.
Mr. Underachiever is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 08:03 PM #75
> SuperStar
Power Ranger

SuperStar
Power Ranger

Virus wrote: View Post

He was on Supergirl though, so he doesn't seem to have to big a problem with it.
Huh, funny. Dean Cain and Kevin Sorbo were both in a bleh Christian film(I am a Christian but I didn't like God's Not Dead, way too one-sided), and both are in Supergirl apparently. Huh, heheh.
SuperStar is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 09:12 PM #76
> The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

Mr. Underachiever wrote: View Post

This also felt like it should have been episode four or five. We needed a couple of episodes of the crew together to establish a status quo before we got a fairly character heavy episode like this. It almost feels like it was aired out of order.
I agree with this. Especially with how we just met Bortus, so him laying an egg so soon lacks any real punch in the second episode.
The 2nd Evil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:14 PM #77
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN

Man, the lack of jokes is actually becoming depressing now. All that philosophy and the bittersweet ending is weighing on my mind...

Only thing that bothers me is why everything in media about circumcision these days treats it like it was derived as some arbitrary ritual. Whether or not you personally agree with it, the basis hospitals use for the procedure is to guard against disease.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 04:41 AM #78
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

I admit I was surprised the Orville went there with gender identity and everything. Good episode, but yeah surprising for such a show especially in their third episode. Also found it hilarious how watching Rudolph actually finally managed to sway Bortus' mind of all things.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 08:06 AM #79
> bearytrek
Power Ranger

bearytrek
Power Ranger

I think the show is missing its potential...

it would be better served if it goes either full drama or full comedy...

the mixture is jarring...
bearytrek is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 08:18 AM #80
> archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

I think the drama/comedy is more honest. Most shows out there want to show the military to be so tight lip. It's nice that Kitan just flat out talked to the captain about the operation, on the bridge. Everyone just says whatever is on their mind. They follow orders and have a chain of command. But they talk like normal people. Someone saying stuff like "Captain this decision is complete bullshit. But it's the right call." I totally buy it in this series.
archer9234 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
happy arbior day