Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2017, 04:26 AM #41
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 29,652
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 29,652



Really? The new episode has been out for a few hours and nobody's yet commented on Monty saying, "Oooh, it's hot today" as he approaches Victor and massages his arm?

This is reaching the same level as Riley's, "wrong assumptions" speech to Chase.
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 07:37 AM #42
MegaBlue's Avatar
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,496
MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!
MegaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,496



The show's doing everything for us this time. There's no fun in it this year.

That same statement also goes for the show itself. Dino Charge, at the very least, was captivating. Ninja Steel is just there, and one halfway-decent episode doesn't make up for the last ten.
MegaBlue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 09:56 AM #43
Long Time Newbie's Avatar
> Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,130
Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger
Long Time Newbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,130



PrimoMystechRanger wrote: View Post

They're both robots.

Which is honestly prejudice.
Agreed. (Goes back to shipping Bridge and S.O.P.H.I.E)

jaguarranger wrote: View Post

1. I'm not gay so I have no interest in romantic relations between fictional male characters.
That never stopped me. I also went through a phase of shipping Ash's Pikachu with Iris's Axew but that doesn't make me a pokémon.

Frankly I'm offended at the underlying supposition that one must be a member of a specific group to ship them.

2. I'm sick and tired of people shipping male characters who are close, because it sends the message that men can't have close and meaningful relationships with each other without being gay. And as a man, I find that offensive.
As someone violently opposed to the notion that flamboyant auto-equals gay I sympathize with you, but I cannot agree.

You see, two characters being really close and touchy feely is always shipping fuel in the eyes of the fandom whether they're men or not, especially in children's television (see Emma/Gia from PRM, Riley/Maya from Girl Meets World, Miley/Lilly from Hannah Montana, Ned/Moze from Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide et cetera ad infinitum for non m/m examples). The thing to remember is that we're not saying they are gay, just that they could be in a 'wouldn't that be fun/interesting' kind of way.

The other reason I cannot agree is that saying a character's gay doesn't automatically make them less of a man which appears to be your underlying point.

I honestly really don't know why male/male ships are so popular. Is it because there are so few canonical male/male relationships in media?
There's also the vastly disproportionate male/female character ratio to consider.

(I will say a sizable amount of slash-fic is badly written and leaches the characters' personalities to clichéd stereotypes but that also happens in het-fic {it's just slightly harder to spot}.)

ZandarLantyriel wrote: View Post

And yes, that means that there is a preponderance of male/male ships here because it's a safe place to talk about it. If there were openly canoncial male/male pairings in ANY fandom, fans like me would be (slightly) less inclined to invent/extrapolate our own pairings.
You maybe. What canon does bears little resemblance to who I think would work together. And that seems to hold true for most shippers. You can find people shipping Harry Potter with Hermione, Luna, Daphne (why?), Tonks... pretty much every girl imaginable despite Ginny being right there and a girl.

Would the same be true for girls if all we talked about was pairing Gia/Emma (because people did a lot back in Megaforce/Super Megaforce)? There are plenty of lesbian ships here (not as many but they're embraced here) but do we automatically assume that if two girls were super close and huggy together that they must be involved?
From, at the latest, the time of Xena Warrior Princess, yes. Is that a bad thing? Not really.

Shipping fanatics are a bad thing, but that holds true whatever the pairing. There was a time in the old thread where I felt slightly unwelcome because I saw Chase as straight and so didn't blindly jump on the Chiley bandwagon. Luckily for me Greenie and a few others felt the same way and thus was born the Wingman!Chase meme.

And I'm always happy to discuss Gia/Emma, if only because it's an actual ship and not a rant. So what was your favourite potential Gia/Emma moment that hasn't already been talked about to death? Mine was when Gia rushed to defend Emma when Noah said she was wrong way back in the Megaforce opener (objectively Gia was wrong * within the PRU robots are lifeforms, but that's not the point I'm making).

To your Point 1: If you don't want to talk about male/male pairings, don't bring up or talk about male/male pairings. Or don't visit this thread. It's a simple as that.
We cannot in good faith tell someone to get out Zander. Jag has every right to bring up the ships he actually likes, and hope the rest of us discuss them. So long as he lets us do the same.

Well that frees Calvin up for Preston then
And it didn't even need Redbot.

dark ranger 86 wrote: View Post

Oh boy what have I done. Still think they haven't two words to each other so far. IIRC
That doesn't mean anything in terms of shippability * we pair people from different seasons, indeed, different shows who by default haven't spoken to each other on a regular basis, and frankly for two simultaneous rangers not to talk to each other is a sign of poor writing on Saban's part if you ask me.
Long Time Newbie is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 12:40 PM #44
Lordoftherangers's Avatar
> Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,538
Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger
Lordoftherangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,538



Peter wrote: View Post

Really? The new episode has been out for a few hours and nobody's yet commented on Monty saying, "Oooh, it's hot today" as he approaches Victor and massages his arm?

This is reaching the same level as Riley's, "wrong assumptions" speech to Chase.
I haven't even been watching Ninja Steel but even if I was I honestly wouldn't give a rats ass about Victor and Monty like I did with Chiley because I know it's not going to go anywhere serious. If there's anything that Chiley taught me it's to not get my hopes up for things that have no chance of happening. Maybe I was just a fool to think PR was really thar progressive in the first place
Lordoftherangers is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 12:49 PM #45
Long Time Newbie's Avatar
> Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,130
Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger
Long Time Newbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,130



You just know whoever came up with Victor/Monty read the old thread.

Either that or someone at Saban really does want it to happen but can't convince his/her colleagues.
Long Time Newbie is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 01:09 PM #46
jaguarranger's Avatar
> jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,645
jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
jaguarranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,645



ZandarLantyriel wrote: View Post

But I don't. I can only form perceptions from what you say.



Your words seem to belie that claim:

You're right. You do only have what I say to go on, and my words were poorly chosen and ill conceived. Frankly, I should have kept my mouth shut. I did come across as homophobic, which does not accurately reflect who I am, and the fact that it was unintentional is no excuse. Nor is it any excuse for me disparaging something that other people derive pleasure in. I sincerely apologize and hope that I can be forgiven.

Lordoftherangers wrote: View Post

I haven't even been watching Ninja Steel but even if I was I honestly wouldn't give a rats ass about Victor and Monty like I did with Chiley because I know it's not going to go anywhere serious. If there's anything that Chiley taught me it's to not get my hopes up for things that have no chance of happening. Maybe I was just a fool to think PR was really thar progressive in the first place
Well, Ninja Steel does give us the first interracial couple in PR history. Granted, it's because Calvin's original actor had to withdraw from the show (was there ever a reason why given?) but it seems to me it wouldn't have been that difficult for them to find another black actor if they'd really wanted/felt the need to. The last time I checked, interracial couples are still relatively rare on television, so who knows what the future might hold? Then again, I don't watch much television to begin with, so interracial couples may be far more common than I'm assuming them to be.
jaguarranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 02:25 PM #47
maritroniuity's Avatar
> maritroniuity
Dangerous Zombabe
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,919
maritroniuity
Dangerous Zombabe
maritroniuity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,919



Nah, they needed to keep the Blond/e Yellow Ranger Cabal happy.
maritroniuity is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 03:02 PM #48
dark ranger 86's Avatar
> dark ranger 86
I AM HERE
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,206
dark ranger 86
I AM HERE
dark ranger 86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,206



jaguarranger wrote: View Post

Well, Ninja Steel does give us the first interracial couple in PR history.
Actually that would be Joel and Miss Fairweather. They even get married after Lightspeed Rescue. There might be a couple before them but I'm not entirely sure.
dark ranger 86 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 03:02 PM #49
jaguarranger's Avatar
> jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,645
jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
jaguarranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,645



Huh. I totally forgot about those two.
jaguarranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 03:31 PM #50
ZandarLantyriel's Avatar
> ZandarLantyriel
Bandora's Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 559
ZandarLantyriel
Bandora's Apprentice
ZandarLantyriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 559



Lordoftherangers wrote: View Post

I haven't even been watching Ninja Steel but even if I was I honestly wouldn't give a rats ass about Victor and Monty like I did with Chiley because I know it's not going to go anywhere serious. If there's anything that Chiley taught me it's to not get my hopes up for things that have no chance of happening. Maybe I was just a fool to think PR was really thar progressive in the first place
It's okay. I remember the pain all too well. But we mustn't give up hope, especially when that hope has such a low chance of being outright squashed.


jaguarranger wrote: View Post

You're right. You do only have what I say to go on, and my words were poorly chosen and ill conceived. Frankly, I should have kept my mouth shut. I did come across as homophobic, which does not accurately reflect who I am, and the fact that it was unintentional is no excuse. Nor is it any excuse for me disparaging something that other people derive pleasure in. I sincerely apologize and hope that I can be forgiven.
It's alright, apology accepted. We all misspeak and we learn. I do apologize for raining down all that vehemence on you. I hope we can get to be friendly sooner than later (like Greenie and me- )
ZandarLantyriel is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 03:33 PM #51
jaguarranger's Avatar
> jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,645
jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
jaguarranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,645



ZandarLantyriel wrote: View Post

It's alright, apology accepted. We all misspeak and we learn. I do apologize for raining down all that vehemence on you. I hope we can get to be friendly sooner than later (like Greenie and me- )
No prob. We're cool.
jaguarranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 04:43 PM #52
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 76,701
AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 76,701



jaguarranger wrote: View Post

Ninja Steel does give us the first interracial couple in PR history.
Trini and Richie, Adam and Tanya, Leo and Ginger, Chad and Marina, Lucas and Nadira, Danny and Kendall, Tori and Blake, Ethan and Cassidy, Jack and Ally, Nick and Madison, Dax and Miratrix, Lily and Theo, Flynn and Gemma, Mike and Emily, Jake and Gia.

You might want to catch up on the show. ^^
AkaGreenPrimo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 05:01 PM #53
jaguarranger's Avatar
> jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,645
jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
jaguarranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,645



PrimoMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Trini and Richie, Adam and Tanya, Leo and Ginger, Chad and Marina, Lucas and Nadira, Danny and Kendall, Tori and Blake, Ethan and Cassidy, Jack and Ally, Nick and Madison, Dax and Miratrix, Lily and Theo, Flynn and Gemma, Mike and Emily, Jake and Gia.

You might want to catch up on the show. ^^
Obviously I'm not as well-versed in PR as I thought, which is embarrassing considering I was there in the early days of the show, when MMPR mania was at its height.

That being said, I think a few of the ones you listed can be disputed on various technicalities.

For starters, since Marina was a mermaid, I would think her and Chad would be more accurately classified as an interspecies relationship. Same with Lucas and Nadira, a human and a mutant.

As for Dax and Miratrix, wasn't she only pretending to like him in her debut episode to steal one of the jewels to the Corona Aurora? Or is there something else from later in the season I'm forgetting about?

Ethan and Cassidy went on one date after being matched up by a computer, as I recall, and mutually decided to be friends. Hardly what I would term a relationship.

Danny and Kendall never officially entered into a relationship despite Danny's feelings, due to Danny's obligations as a Ranger and he apparently decided seeing the world with Max after they defeated Master Org was a better use of his new-found free time. Seriously, how did they pay for that trip around the world anyway? Being a Power Ranger doesn't exactly come with a pension plan.

As for many of the rest, such as Tori/Blake, Nick/Madison, and Flynn/Gemma, while attraction might have been hinted or confirmed in one or both parties, that doesn't necessarily establish that they entered into a relationship.
jaguarranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 05:12 PM #54
> AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 76,701
AkaGreenPrimo
2222.GRIDMAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 76,701



jaguarranger wrote: View Post

I think a few of the ones you listed can be disputed on various technicalities.
Dude, this is the shipping thread. Actually having implications from the writers means everything.

Especially concerning the point you were making in this case.
AkaGreenPrimo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 06:00 PM #55
jaguarranger's Avatar
> jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,645
jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner
jaguarranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,645



PrimoMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Dude, this is the shipping thread. Actually having implications from the writers means everything.
I can see where implications would be huge for things like fanfictions and headcanons, but I am of the belief that when it comes to relationships actually being canon, it takes more than implication, it takes two characters being actively stated and/or shown to be in a relationship. But like you said, this is the shipping thread, so your point is taken.
jaguarranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 06:21 PM #56
dark ranger 86's Avatar
> dark ranger 86
I AM HERE
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,206
dark ranger 86
I AM HERE
dark ranger 86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,206



Yeah in this thread if two characters are in a room their banging. It really doesn't take much. Hell they don't have to be in the same season.
dark ranger 86 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 07:35 PM #57
Prototype's Avatar
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,421
Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.
Prototype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,421



I still find it hilarious that RPM got away with having Scott and Dillon in the shower together, with handcuffs to boot. Then there was that gag of them falling asleep or whatever, and you briefly see Scott and Dillon holding hands.

If he wasn't overtly shipped with Summer...
Prototype is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 08:41 PM #58
maritroniuity's Avatar
> maritroniuity
Dangerous Zombabe
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,919
maritroniuity
Dangerous Zombabe
maritroniuity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,919



Prototype wrote: View Post


If he wasn't overtly shipped with Summer...
I love how that applies to Scott (at least at the time) and Dillon
maritroniuity is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 11:04 PM #59
timegold's Avatar
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,045
timegold
Destroyer of Particles
timegold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,045



PrimoMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Danny and Kendall
That's an odd way of spelling "Max".

Seriously, out of all the things that were copied from Gaoranger, there actually was a bit of effort in resolving this Blue/Black tension.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 11:08 PM #60
MegaBlue's Avatar
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,496
MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!
MegaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,496



How are Tori and Blake NOT in a relationship? They went out numerous times, he invited her to the movies, she playfully joked with him when he came back in "Return of Thunder" and was all smiles, and - in that same miniseries - he cited HER as the reason why he overcame Toxipod's slime hypnosis.

Dustin and Kelly... Okay, that's a stretch. Shane/Skyla? For that brief time, they shared something. Everyone loved Lothor for a day. Don't forget the third episode, when Tori had that brief affair with Dil the surfer.

Ninja Storm was chock full of romance!
MegaBlue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Tags
alpha/alpha/alpha/alpha, alpha/somnibot, here we go again, like a brother to me, old thread/this thread, super mega shipping, uaerg, vic/monty in love story, viconty chocolate love

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.