Menu

Old March 1st, 2017, 02:09 AM #41
> AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

The 2nd Evil wrote: View Post

Fall Of The Phantom/Clash Of The Megazords

I will forever cherish these episodes for giving what I think is Power Rangers' funniest moment:

Space Base is being pulled towards Earth by the giant magnet beam, Porto calls on Metal Mangler... who is immediately pulled out of the Space Base, taking Divatox's laser with it.
I was amazed they used a monster costume that hadn't debuted yet.

That was perfect timing for a kitbash of an old monster or one that wasn't planned for use in the American production.

Only real questionable aspect, is not really against the episodes themselves, because I can't recall, did Havoc ever return, even in In Space? Seemed like kind of a missed opportunity to not just write the character out via destruction right there and then. But on the other hand, his final line was "Ingrate" muttered under his breath, which I jut find very amusing.
It was kind of a trend to have people directly related to the bad guys not be destroyed.

Just look at how needless it was to have Gasket and Archerina survive one episode from the end of the season.
AkaGreenPrimo is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:32 AM #42
> Cammy
This cage demeans us both

Cammy

Another moment from "Fall of the Phantom" that I found interesting wwas it was Mr. Caplan's only moment (that I recall) where he actually has a serious principal moment and isn't yelling 'deeeetention!!"
Cammy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:45 AM #43
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Cammy wrote: View Post

Another moment from "Fall of the Phantom" that I found interesting wwas it was Mr. Caplan's only moment (that I recall) where he actually has a serious principal moment and isn't yelling 'deeeetention!!"
There has been only one other, or a few others.

Right now, I only remember the one from "Teamwork", where he may have scolded the teens for the hallway being messy with all of the papers on the floor, but he didn't give anyone detention.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:59 AM #44
> Cammy

Cammy

Yeah, I understand. But this was getting Cassie on the right track rather than chewing someone out because they did something wrong. "The Mutiny" doesn't count.
Cammy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 07:23 PM #45
> The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

The 2nd Evil

The Robot Ranger

I get the need after a pretty heavy four episode story arc to have a filler episode. Just find it odd they decided to do a filler episode that, instead of the typical lighthearted whimsy was full of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers style paranoia.

This is an odd one. The Divatox and monster battle stuff just didn't mesh at all with the robot stuff, resulting in an episode that seemed to be made of two parallel plot lines that never really intersected, the way A-Plots and B-Plots typically do.

Overall Grade: C+

This episode was not bad at all, however, it was pretty disjointed, and I'm not sure the episode really needed two different monsters and Zord battles, as neither were around long enough to really leave much of an impression.

Beware The Third Wish/The Gardner Of Evil

I think these episode marked the first real moment of really evident character growth for Bulk and Skull when they willingly gave the wishing coin to the Power Rangers. It was a nice moment for them, and it was nice for me to go an episode without thinking that they were better off as chimps.

Although, the Gardner Of Evil half makes me think that perhaps that scatological humor present in Ninja Steel's Drive To Survive wasn't exactly forced on the show by Nickelodeon like some had theorized.

I'm glad these episodes wrapped up the issue with Justin's dad. All that's important is his dad got a new job in Angel Grove, and we can all move on from the fact that we really have no idea just who it was Justin was under the guardianship of, and all that pesky social services stuff.

Overall Grade: B

I liked how this two parter was more loosely connected than others. I mean, nowadays, it probably wouldn't even have been considered a two parter at all.

For my metaphorical money, Beware The Third Wish was the stronger of the the two episodes, but both helped to make an enjoyable overall story.
The 2nd Evil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 01:59 AM #46
> AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

The Robot Ranger

This episode was not bad at all, however, it was pretty disjointed, and I'm not sure the episode really needed two different monsters and Zord battles, as neither were around long enough to really leave much of an impression.
Welcome to footage burning.

Beware The Third Wish/The Gardner Of Evil

I think these episode marked the first real moment of really evident character growth for Bulk and Skull when they willingly gave the wishing coin to the Power Rangers. It was a nice moment for them, and it was nice for me to go an episode without thinking that they were better off as chimps.
Wait, when would there have been a point where their being chased by evil space aliens wouldn't have made them want to give the wishing coin to the Power Rangers?

We're talking about the same guys who saved them from Scatterbrain and freed them from Gasket's arena.
Old March 5th, 2017, 06:02 AM #47
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

It's been a long time since I've seen either of those seasons, but weren't those two instances completely coincidental that it ended up helping the Power Rangers?
Old March 5th, 2017, 06:05 AM #48
> Kaigan
Banned

Kaigan
Banned

It's been a long time since I've seen either of those seasons, but weren't those two instances completely coincidental that it ended up helping the Power Rangers?
They purposefully helped with Scatterbrain.
Kaigan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 06:43 AM #49
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Oh?

Well, I stand corrected, then. Perhaps I should give it a re-watch. Doubt it will be for a review thread, but maybe.
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:22 PM #50
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Fire In Your Tank

Best thing I can say about the Bulk and Skull subplot is I got a kick out of them reading Beetleborgs comic books. Unfortunately, that was the only enjoyable moment of that plot.

Divatox holding auditions for a monster is just such a great concept, I wish more time was spent on that. There's just something about Divatox being so in need of MOTWs, that he holds an open cattle call that.

The Power Rangers were also in this episode. Yeah, it's weird, but they were pretty much only there the facilitate the Booster fuel being stolen to give Divatox a flying car and power up Torch Tiger, and then to fight and destroy him.

Overall Grade: B-

This was not a bad episode, at all. In fact, it was real fun, just because of how bonkers it was with everything that was going on in it, but all the craziness within prevented it from really coming together in a meaningful way. This was clearly a whole is less than the sum of its parts, episode.
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:35 PM #51
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Fire In Your Tank

Best thing I can say about the Bulk and Skull subplot is I got a kick out of them reading Beetleborgs comic books. Unfortunately, that was the only enjoyable moment of that plot.
I kind of loved how, in their continuing search for both careers and plot relevance, Bulk and Skull become forest rangers ... and literally within half an hour, half of Angel Grove Forest burns to the ground. It technically wasn't their fault, but still.

It makes me think that Bulk and Skull getting tickets on Terra Venture (with, essentially, one-way tickets off planet Earth) may not have been accidental or just down to good luck.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:52 PM #52
> AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

Fire In Your Tank

Divatox holding auditions for a monster is just such a great concept, I wish more time was spent on that. There's just something about Divatox being so in need of MOTWs, that he holds an open cattle call that.
...That what?

But yeah, this was disjointed as hell. Torch Tiger became a complete afterthought quick.
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:25 PM #53
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Oh, yeah, I should probably finish this at some point, shouldnít I?

The Turn Of The Wretched Wrench

Not a bad episode to come back to after *checks dates* roughly 1 year and 10 months...

This episode was a fairly formulaic one, but I donít think thatís a bad thing. Ashleyís difficulty in the auto shop class was shown throughout the episode and resolved when she was able to repair Storm Blaster.

Iím not entirely sure thatís how you fix a Carburetor, but hey, Iím not a mechanic, what do I know?

On the villain side... I think this is where the episode struggled. Maniac Mechanic only showed up because the periscope needed fixing, only for Divatox to hire him to create a War Wagon, because we need a MOTW to deal with.

And speaking of Maniac Mechanic, Iím not sure if I should award or deduct points for his human disguise looking like the American Equivalent of Colin Bakerís version of The Doctor from Doctor Who.

Overall Grade: C+

I rather feel like Iím underselling this, because I did enjoy the episode. It did just enough right that the stuff it didnít stands out more than it would have otherwise.

And shoutout to Mr. Decker, who is a contender for the greatest teacher to ever show up at Angel Grove High by allowing Ashley to come to figure out the answer that he knew she knew by herself after only a slight nudge in the right direction, and acknowledging that she was struggling and offering her to do extra time after school to help her improve.
Old January 11th, 2019, 04:24 PM #54
> AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

Holy hell! *chokes on dust*

The Turn Of The Wretched Wrench

On the villain side... I think this is where the episode struggled. Maniac Mechanic only showed up because the periscope needed fixing, only for Divatox to hire him to create a War Wagon, because we need a MOTW to deal with.
What's wrong with that? She didn't know the guy, saw his skills, became inspired to destroy the Power Rangers.